4.0 out of 5 stars Dead Colony is a fun story driven game that you will enjoy.
Dead Colony is a fun game that has a pretty deep storyline. If you like games like Robotron then you will like this one. The game has good developed characters that will keep you compelled as you play through the game. I enjoyed this game and would recommend it.

Thank you for reading my review.
Published 13 months ago by Christopher J. Cowen

Published 25 days ago by John Mann

4.0 out of 5 stars Dead Colony is a fun story driven game that you will enjoy., November 23, 2013
This review is from: Dead Colony [Download] (Software Download)

Thank you for reading my review.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the worst game out there. Could be better with a little more development time., December 1, 2014
This review is from: Dead Colony [Download] (Software Download)
I was shown the PC game Dead Colony by Amazon's recommendation system. Based on the other reviews, I was not sure that I would enjoy the game. It did seem that a lot of people were giving the game a low rating because the style of the game was out of date. I think that there is a couple of reasons why people still make games in this style. For starters, there are many game developers who are just getting started in the field. These developers tend to make games which do not require a lot of development time or effort. That is not to say that these games are inherently bad or the developers are lazy, they just do not have a large team helping them to create the game, and so must sacrifice some of the higher quality that is afforded to the larger game companies. Another reason for these types of games is that the developer is shooting for a retro style, which is still popular in this day and age. I believe that this game falls into the first category, though I do not know anything about second variety games, who is the developer/publisher here.

Dead Colony definitely does not have much to show in the way of graphics. It is very reminiscent of older games from the 90s or so, in which the play area is divided up into squares/sprites, and your character as well as the enemies move from one square to the next, navigating the level in order to get from start to finish. As an older gamer, I do not mind the style. What I did not like about this game, is that there was no sprite animations, which would make it appear that your character is doing something like walking from one square to the next. I was also not able to find any settings for the resolution. While this is normally not a big deal when playing a game in such a retro style, the pixels were so enlarged on my screen that everything looked blurry. I would have liked to have change the resolution to something which would have given me a crisper view of the game.

This is definitely an action game. There are no turn-based elements when it comes to combat. Due to the way that the game is displayed, you can shoot your guns in eight different directions, so that means that you must align your character and enemy along one of the eight directions or you cannot attack. Because this is not turn-based, it can often get difficult and involved a lot of running away to train the mobs into your line of fire. In addition, the enemies move at such a speed that it is often difficult to attack them efficiently. The artificial intelligence which drives the enemies in this game is not very advanced. They seem to want to follow the shortest path, even if that results in them being stuck behind a wall. This can be taken advantage of in order to attack the enemy in manageable sizes as there are often large hoards that will come after you.

Game text is shown in two different ways. The first way is in order to teach you how to play the game. It does not do the best job in conveying the nuances of the game mechanics, but it is acceptable. The way in which it does this is that large words are written in the surrounding building architecture. It is difficult in some areas to read this text because of flashing lights which go from completely off to on, giving you only a fraction of a second each time to read the words. The second method is the storytelling, in which your character will trigger messages to be displayed in the message window. Sometimes these are things that your character has noticed, other times it is things that your character is thinking.

I did not think that this was that great of a game. Due to the annoying artificial intelligence of the enemies and the inability to change my resolution to something appealing, I stopped playing the game after approximately an hour and decided to shelve it. I do not regret downloading and spending an hour exploring this game, but I do not anticipate picking it back up without an overhaul by the developer first. At the time that I downloaded this game, it was completely free of cost, but it is certainly not a game I would want to spend more than $.99 on in its current state. I have certainly played worse games, but I did not see anything to write home about in this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dead Colony, March 2, 2014
This review is from: Dead Colony [Download] (Software Download)
When I first looked at it, I thought that I was going back 25 years to the Commodore 64. If anyone wants to know what people were playing back then on that computer, this is it.
In spite of the graphics used back then, similar to this game, some of them were quite good. I can still remember playing some of them, though I cannot now remember their names
However that is one area in which this comes up short, the game play, which I feel is too difficult, especially considering the awkward keyboard controls. Therefor I could not give it a 5 rating.
The developers have, however, made a good version of a retro game for strict nostalgia. .

3.0 out of 5 stars medievial, February 24, 2014
This review is from: Dead Colony [Download] (Software Download)
old style and does not work with a mouse. A throwback from the 80s. If you like older games from the 80-90s, this is for you!

3.0 out of 5 stars meh, March 2, 2014
This review is from: Dead Colony [Download] (Software Download)
Not fun for me. I wish it had mouse capability. Old school game design is great though. If you like old school games you will like it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not much fun, March 1, 2014
This review is from: Dead Colony [Download] (Software Download)
Played plenty of early games like this, but this one handled badly and was not fun.
Not recommended. No instructions.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just couldn't get into it, February 5, 2014
This review is from: Dead Colony [Download] (Software Download)
It's one of those things you can't put into words, I just didn't get into it. No reason really, it's just not for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't install, June 13, 2014
This review is from: Dead Colony [Download] (Software Download)
This was my fault. I didn't read the requirements as closely as I should have. I hate Bill Gates and a;; Windows Eights! I plan to go Linix and Android (Kindle).

3.0 out of 5 stars okay, February 1, 2014
This review is from: Dead Colony [Download] (Software Download)
i don't like this genre anymore but it's ok
when i played i feel fun and relax This game is good for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time, March 8, 2014
This review is from: Dead Colony [Download] (Software Download)
a piece of crap no wonder your giving it away, a waste of memeory and time. Looks like a 80s games.

Dead Colony [Download]