Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Black Stone Cherry Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on December 1, 2014
I was shown the PC game Dead Colony by Amazon's recommendation system. Based on the other reviews, I was not sure that I would enjoy the game. It did seem that a lot of people were giving the game a low rating because the style of the game was out of date. I think that there is a couple of reasons why people still make games in this style. For starters, there are many game developers who are just getting started in the field. These developers tend to make games which do not require a lot of development time or effort. That is not to say that these games are inherently bad or the developers are lazy, they just do not have a large team helping them to create the game, and so must sacrifice some of the higher quality that is afforded to the larger game companies. Another reason for these types of games is that the developer is shooting for a retro style, which is still popular in this day and age. I believe that this game falls into the first category, though I do not know anything about second variety games, who is the developer/publisher here.

Dead Colony definitely does not have much to show in the way of graphics. It is very reminiscent of older games from the 90s or so, in which the play area is divided up into squares/sprites, and your character as well as the enemies move from one square to the next, navigating the level in order to get from start to finish. As an older gamer, I do not mind the style. What I did not like about this game, is that there was no sprite animations, which would make it appear that your character is doing something like walking from one square to the next. I was also not able to find any settings for the resolution. While this is normally not a big deal when playing a game in such a retro style, the pixels were so enlarged on my screen that everything looked blurry. I would have liked to have change the resolution to something which would have given me a crisper view of the game.

This is definitely an action game. There are no turn-based elements when it comes to combat. Due to the way that the game is displayed, you can shoot your guns in eight different directions, so that means that you must align your character and enemy along one of the eight directions or you cannot attack. Because this is not turn-based, it can often get difficult and involved a lot of running away to train the mobs into your line of fire. In addition, the enemies move at such a speed that it is often difficult to attack them efficiently. The artificial intelligence which drives the enemies in this game is not very advanced. They seem to want to follow the shortest path, even if that results in them being stuck behind a wall. This can be taken advantage of in order to attack the enemy in manageable sizes as there are often large hoards that will come after you.

Game text is shown in two different ways. The first way is in order to teach you how to play the game. It does not do the best job in conveying the nuances of the game mechanics, but it is acceptable. The way in which it does this is that large words are written in the surrounding building architecture. It is difficult in some areas to read this text because of flashing lights which go from completely off to on, giving you only a fraction of a second each time to read the words. The second method is the storytelling, in which your character will trigger messages to be displayed in the message window. Sometimes these are things that your character has noticed, other times it is things that your character is thinking.

I did not think that this was that great of a game. Due to the annoying artificial intelligence of the enemies and the inability to change my resolution to something appealing, I stopped playing the game after approximately an hour and decided to shelve it. I do not regret downloading and spending an hour exploring this game, but I do not anticipate picking it back up without an overhaul by the developer first. At the time that I downloaded this game, it was completely free of cost, but it is certainly not a game I would want to spend more than $.99 on in its current state. I have certainly played worse games, but I did not see anything to write home about in this one.
on January 17, 2015
Perspective is Everything! I highly suggest you read the review by John Mann. It is, more or less, quite accurate. But try not to be put off by the negative manner in which he explains how the game mechanics work. It's true, he and I both give the game three stars, but if you based your decision solely on stars, you probably wouldn't be reading this.

I found Dead Colony to be much more engaging than I expected. The inclusion of an actual story makes the game somewhat compelling as well. Certainly it is challenging, perhaps artificially so due to the nature of the controls, but I am personally tired of games that are too easy. It feels much more rewarding to get past an area that killed me a dozen times before I do. I have to say, I found some of the weapons rather satisfying to use, and I was particularly pleased when able to take out multiple aliens with a single shot, or when they were huddled up around an explosive barrel... BOOM!

There are creative game design choices to appreciate here, and some fun to be had. I even caught a movie reference which made me smile. I'm guessing there may be more, but I'm not normally good at picking up on things like that, and I haven't finished the game yet. But I do want to play again, and that should tell you something.

My advice is to take a look at the screenshots, and if you are not instantly put off by the graphics then give the game a try. You have nothing to lose, it's free! If you're afraid of wasting your time, think of all the things in your life you do waste your time on, like reading this review.

If you enjoy occasionally playing games like Rogue, and you like science fiction, you might like this game.
Dead Colony is a fun game that has a pretty deep storyline. If you like games like Robotron then you will like this one. The game has good developed characters that will keep you compelled as you play through the game. I enjoyed this game and would recommend it.

Thank you for reading my review.
on March 2, 2014
When I first looked at it, I thought that I was going back 25 years to the Commodore 64. If anyone wants to know what people were playing back then on that computer, this is it.
In spite of the graphics used back then, similar to this game, some of them were quite good. I can still remember playing some of them, though I cannot now remember their names
However that is one area in which this comes up short, the game play, which I feel is too difficult, especially considering the awkward keyboard controls. Therefor I could not give it a 5 rating.
The developers have, however, made a good version of a retro game for strict nostalgia. .
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 24, 2014
old style and does not work with a mouse. A throwback from the 80s. If you like older games from the 80-90s, this is for you!
on March 2, 2014
Not fun for me. I wish it had mouse capability. Old school game design is great though. If you like old school games you will like it.
on June 16, 2015