5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Kind of Book

2.0 out of 5 stars MAJOR SPOILER
Published on August 25, 2012 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Kind of Book, June 3, 2012
This review is from: The Secret Christmas Ciphers (Kindle Edition)
Regency, Christmas, Romance. All great things, but I love this book for the rest of what it offers. A smart heroine, a childhood crush, an honorable man, a dash of intrigue, and a woman rewarded for doing what she knows she must. Ms. Carey's novels never disappoint, and The Secret Christmas Ciphers is no exception. I highly recommend The Secret Christmas Ciphers to all readers, even those who aren't normally inclined to read regency. This story moves fast, and the regency details add to the story but do not slow the pacing.

2.0 out of 5 stars MAJOR SPOILER, August 25, 2012
This review is from: The Secret Christmas Ciphers (Kindle Edition)
I did like the idea that they were both in love but his reasons for what he did was weak. ****SPOILER***** Offering marriage to another for a friend just b/c he was supposedly dead and the other girl was pregnant is no excuse to betray the woman you love...especially without ever offering an explanation other than to tell her she should have faith in him. He left her for years with a promise of marriage only to have to hear of him engaged to another. Did he care so little for her feelings and the fact that she would be without him her whole life and have a feeling of betrayal and loneliness all her years?? He met this friend in school and had known her and loved her longer but would have gave her up so that his friend's girl would not be ruined??? Top that off with the fact that she apologized for not having faith in him?? Urghhhhhh!!!! I am just annoyed that the heroine would have been made to suffer for others' actions and the hero was so willing to let her as long as he helped someone else out. If I was in love for that long with someone and had promised to wed them, I would not have gone to marry another just to allow her to save face. I would have helped her set up somewhere as a widow and pretended to be the friend of said husband to keep up pretenses but I would never allow the love of my life to be hurt and be without me forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful and Enduring!, June 2, 2012
Leanne Tyler (Tennessee, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Secret Christmas Ciphers (Kindle Edition)
The Secret Christmas Ciphers is a Regency Christmas novella. It is a delightful and endearing tale of love lost and regained and is set in the fall of 1813. Ms. Carey can weave a wonderful story, with the right amount of description that draws the reader into the story. You are rooting for Abigail and Derek from the opening until the very end.

I enjoyed this one very much and I know you will too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute Story, June 3, 2012
This review is from: The Secret Christmas Ciphers (Kindle Edition)
I liked this story. I wouldn't call it literary brilliance, but it's better than a lot of the romance novels and novellas that periodically appear for free on Amazon. The main characters behave in ways that make sense, given their characters and history, and at the end of the story I found that I liked them both - something that is not always the case!
I did think that the ending was a little odd... it just seemed extraneous, like the story would have been just as strong without it. Still, it was a good read and easily finished in an afternoon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-written Novella, November 17, 2012
J. Hopkins (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Secret Christmas Ciphers (Kindle Edition)
Abigail had fallen in love with Derek, her friend's brother, and he seemed to feel the same about her. He left promising he would ask her father for her hand when he came home for Christmas. He didn't come home, and she was broken-hearted to learn he'd become engaged to another. That lady died right before the wedding, but Abigail still felt rejected and betrayed. When their two fathers plotted to have Abigail marry Derek, she wasn't sure why she didn't refuse. She told herself it was to make him pay for breaking his promise and her heart. The fact that he refused to tell her what had happened didn't help her feelings one bit. Like another reviewer, I couldn't understand why Derek kept his secret as long as he did. You'd think he'd tell the wife he trusted, but this didn't spoil the story for me.

I found this novella to be surprisingly good. It is an easy, quick, relaxing read that's light and entertaining. I could see it as a movie, especially with the epilogue. For a mainstream romance, it turned out to be cleaner than I expected, too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, November 15, 2012
This review is from: The Secret Christmas Ciphers (Kindle Edition)
It is a cute book. That said I found it funny that the girl went from hate and rage to have sex with me now. BLAH. Really? Also just reading on cipher changed her mind about everything. I found these things to be so unrealistic that they ruined the book for me. I enjoyed the story of childhood love growing into something more. The feeling I got at the end of the book was that the author just wanted to wrap it up. So about halfway thrugh it went from being cute to lets finish this off.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Secret Christmas Ciphers, May 24, 2014
Veronica (Buenos Aires) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Secret Christmas Ciphers (Kindle Edition)
The story starts with Abigail and Derek’s wedding, their relationship is far from being even friendly because she thinks he betrayed her ( he proposed to other woman when he had asked Abigail to wait for him ) and he is getting married with her because his former fiancée died before the wedding..
I should say that it is not my favorite type of storyline, as during most of the book the characters are attracted to each other but they deny their feelings and do not act upon them. They just suffer separatedly and when you think they are starting to get along, one of them hurts the other one...
Anyway, it was a sweet read and it has a lovely ending ( luckily the author did something to fix the heroes' actions, otherwise it would have left me a bitter taste ) but for me when characters take so long to accept their feelings, it ruins the romance…

4.0 out of 5 stars Partners in life and love, February 4, 2014
This review is from: The Secret Christmas Ciphers (Kindle Edition)
I would like to read more about Derek and Abigail and their world. Not everything went smoothly for them but they triumphed in the end.

4.0 out of 5 stars lovely Christmas story, November 17, 2013
This review is from: The Secret Christmas Ciphers (Kindle Edition)
A quick, easy read that will leave you feeling warm and cheerful. Perfect for the holiday season. A bit predictable and could have gone in so many different directions towards the end, but very cute and I'm glad I read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars regency love story, September 2, 2013
This review is from: The Secret Christmas Ciphers (Kindle Edition)
I really liked this story. I do enjoy regency romance books. A childhood crush turns into something more... what's not to like? The characters are believable and the storyline is good. Very quick read too. I can see myself rereading this book.

The Secret Christmas Ciphers