Published 22 months ago by Daniel A. Lopez

2.0 out of 5 stars Technical support is no longer available
Published 29 days ago by Robert

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for avid computer programmers and computer engineers and hobbyists., January 17, 2013
This review is from: Netduino Plus 2 (Personal Computers)
This a great way to learn about microcontrollers, whether you are an avid computer programmer (like me), or whether you are interested in learning programming while dealing with the hardware. Before purchasing Netduino Plus 2, remember that you need a breadboard, resistors, jumper wires, and other things. Power supply is optional if you do not want to power via USB. I also recommend doing the blinking LED tutorial, to make sure the Netduino Plus 2 works, before proceeding with the more advanced projects.

== Pros ==

* Comes with built in Ethernet jack
* Well packaged
* Comes with USB cable
* Very sturdy and well built

== Cons ==

* Mini USB has some trouble when plugged in to the board. But do not panic you just need to put a little brute force.

5.0 out of 5 stars Netduino verse Arduino, August 5, 2014
John S. Kjellman (Orland Park, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Netduino Plus 2 (Personal Computers)
The Netduino Plus 2 is the latest version of the Netduino board. A Netduino is similar in layout to an Arduino UNO (AVR processor based prototyping board) but uses a 3.3 V 168 MHz 64 bit ARM7 processor instead of the 5 V 16 MHz 8 bit AVR processor the Arduino uses. There is an Arduino DUE board which uses a 3.3 V 84 MHz ARM processor but it is not 5 V tolerant so it cannot be used with 5 V shields while the Netduino is 5 V tolerant and should work with most 5 V shields.

The Netduino also has built-in Ethernet and SD Card hardware and software support so no extra shields are required. The Netduino I/O pins are 5 V tolerant so it should work with most 5 V Arduino shields. What the Netduino does not have is the ability to directly use Arduino libraries. This is because the Netduino is programmed in C# using Visual Studio 2010 while the Arduino is programmed in C/C++ programming using their own IDE. The combination of C# and VS is very powerful and allows full debugging capabilities. The Arduino IDE is fairly limited and only allows "print" style debugging. Where the Arduino programming environment out shines the Netduino is in libraries written by others. Using these much of the code you would otherwise need to write (to operate an LCD display, talk to an I2C device, etc.) is already written and debugged for you. The Netduino .NET micro framework does have 3rd party code available, just not as much.

The Netduino also suffers from a lack of support (as of this writing) by Microsoft. While they did make the .NET micro framework open source they have not kept it as up to date as the full blown .NET framework. For example, the micro framework still requires VS 2010 while the .NET framework uses VS 2013. Not a deal breaker (VS 2010 Express is free) but still something to consider if you program using VS 2013 regularly.

So in summary the Netduino is a faster more capable alternative to the Arduino UNO/MEGA/DUE boards. If you like VS then it is definitely for you. It supports manage C# code as well as multitasking and has Ethernet capabilities built in. If your needs are much simpler and you don't need a full IDE then the Arduino may be a better choice.

As a side note, the Netduino is designed to be completely open source / design. Since it has a built in ISP header it can be programmed directly like the Arduino. That is, you do not have to use the Microsoft .NET micro framework and could directly program the device yourself using open source tools.

UPDATE (10/29/2014):

As J. Madison points out there is now Visual Studio 2012 and 2013 support plus experimental 2014 support. the firmware on the Netduino is unchanged, but the PC tools and Visual Studio support has been split. This also means that you can install the Netduino SDK on VS 2010 and VS 2013 at the same time. Hopefully Microsoft will continue work on this power prototyping tool and keep the firmware up to date as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Project Board, March 5, 2013
Jamie (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Netduino Plus 2 (Personal Computers)
I wrote software for this no problem. Nice project board for any detailed project. No video output so if you need that you are better off with the Raspberry PI

5.0 out of 5 stars A tinkerers dream for .NET programmers, February 27, 2013
This review is from: Netduino Plus 2 (Personal Computers)
I had been looking into getting an Anduino board to experiment with microprocessor boards but was hesitant about not being able to use the programming environment (Visual Studio 2010) I was comfortable in. When I discovered this board and it's compatibility with .NET I snapped it up as it meant I could program within Visual Studio. The device seems very reliable and tough which you want when you are learning the ropes and likely to do things that could go outside the boards working parameters. I've overloaded it a few times but it seems to always turn back on after its built-in safety shutdown. Obviously being a newer device than the Anduino the support network and learning resources aren't anywhere near as thorough although the Netduino forum is a good start. I'd like to see improved learning materials for beginners, currently there isn't anything I'd happily recommend, but being able to see syntax errors in Visual Studio as you work and use the debugger teaches you a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little board, December 2, 2012
This review is from: Netduino Plus 2 (Personal Computers)
I haven't played much with boards like these (I have done a little work with the Arduino). Since I am an avid C# user and fan I love how they set this up. Using the built-in SD card, Visual Studio and some basic electronics I learned in college I put together an 8 channel light controller in a day and a half (including my sub-par work working skills). The software took me about an hour to write.

I love using C# and being able to debug programs on this board using Visual Studio, and would recommend this if you are getting started and are more comfortable in C# or Java instead of C++.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, December 26, 2012
This review is from: Netduino Plus 2 (Personal Computers)
Installed micro framework, plugged in and within minutes I was running programs on the device. I added a lcd shield and a rs232 ttl adapter and am controlling my alarm system over the Ethernet. It only took a few 1000 lines of c# code. Incredible.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nephew Love it!, February 4, 2013
This review is from: Netduino Plus 2 (Personal Computers)
This makes a great project for the computer wizard's hobbies. If you you like to tinker with computerize projects this is it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Technical support is no longer available, October 25, 2014
This review is from: Netduino Plus 2 (Personal Computers)
I have been buying and using the original Plus boards for several years successfully, having built my own shield. I recently decided to upgrade to the Plus 2 boards. So far, I have been completely unsuccessful in getting the GPIO, PWM, or Analog Pins to work. It's likely something I am doing wrong, I am still working on the issue and I believe that in time I am likely to succeed, however....

The reason for my low rating is that the main (perhaps only) point of contact for technical support seemed to have vanished from the support forum. Without support, this product will be very difficult to work with. It may be possible to get questions answered from other users, but the manufacturer's support is no longer available. I hope this is a temporary situation, time will tell.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love electronics and have some skills in C#, November 22, 2014
This review is from: Netduino Plus 2 (Personal Computers)
If you love electronics and have some skills in C# .NET, this is the right one for you. Program the device using Microsoft Visual Studio and debug it just like your ordinary c# application. This board still allows you to play with it on port-level I/O so it gives you the flexibility and excitement in doing your project which you will no longer get with other boards because they already 'modularized'(plug & play' everything.

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely Better, January 25, 2013
Eric G. Johnfelt "Eclectic Collector" (Port Jefferson Station, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Netduino Plus 2 (Personal Computers)
Has more features then the Netduino Plus, I think Secret Labs did a good job with the Plus 2. There were some issues for the early adopters. But even with that, you can't beat the specs of this little device over its predecessor.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›