Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Baby Sale

The Secret
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:$12.30+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-10 of 2,863 reviews(5 star)show all reviews
on July 21, 2012
One, Byrne deserves credit for bringing this 5000 year old technology to many peoples attention. The controversy is that she says the Law of Attraction is responsible for everything, including evil (even genocide) in an individual and society's life. I was a pastor for 10 years. Prayer and the LOA are very similar, and the reason neither works has nothing to do with the principle but with the practitioner. Prayer is not saying, "God, help me with..." The average American prays 2 minutes a day, and clergy fare little better, averaging around 6 minutes A DAY. People treat the LOA the same. Byrne emphasizes over and over the importance of belief mixed with emotion (excitement over already having what one desires). Her emphasis has led to others emphasizing this, much as books about prayer emphasize this. HOWEVER, she clearly states, and needed to state over and over, the ONE thing each contributor has in common is they meditate/pray for ONE HOUR A DAY. That is the 'secret' many people miss. This is not a 2 minute practice, this is an hour a day EVERY day. That is focus, with passion, mixed with strong belief, that over time builds up the energy to draw what you want into your life. Think about it, try to go to the gym for 3 minutes a day and see if you get results. You will get nothing. Now go to the gym for 1 hour a day every day and watch your body transform. Want prayer and the LOA to work? Then read the books suggestions about passion and be sure you spend an hour a day with the practice. Otherwise you will be one more critic claiming this doesn't work.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
You don't need this book. You already know everything you need to know to be wise and prosperous. It's already inside of you. Everyone is looking for some magic formula which will allow them to be happy and successful. We all believe that there is some "secret of life" that we need to plug into, and then our fears and angst will disappear and we will glide effortlessly through the cosmos into blissful well-being.

Well, look no further. I am going to reveal to you the Ultimate Secret, and it is not going to cost you a penny! Are you ready? Here it is: The secret of life is... that THERE IS NO SECRET!

It sounds like pablum doesn't it? But only about 5% of the people who read this are going to understand it and believe it. I challenge you to embrace this thought and analyze it. Take it to its logical conclusion, and when you can truly accept this wisdom, you will be able to shed your fears and angst. You may not reach a point where you feel that you are gliding effortlessly through the cosmos, but you will be well on the path toward that utopia. And you will resonate with a happiness you never before thought possible.

I am a firm believer in the Law of Attraction. And I am a devout believer that we are all exactly where we are supposed to be. We truly do create our own destiny. We are always at a place which has been created by the sum total of our thoughts and actions to this point in time. I will take this dictum a step further: We are all exactly where we WANT to be!

You say, "But I want to be a medical doctor, and I am not there!" I answer, "You would be there if you had taken the appropriate actions and trained your thinking to be there. You would have studied what you needed in school to prepare yourself for college and then medical school -- if you truly wanted to be a doctor."

You say, "But I wanted to be a professional basketball player!" I answer, "If you truly wanted that, you would have spent all your waking hours practicing dribbling, passing, shooting, and studying court and team dynamics."

You see, its really that simple. There is no secret other than focusing on a goal and then doing what it takes to get there. Most of us, however, find it far too easy to be lazy and then believe the excuses that we provide for ourselves.

No, you don't need this book. It's philosophy can be summed up quite robustly in one, simple, Biblical phrase: "As ye sow, so shall ye reap." This is the Law of Attraction, and it truly works. It's not magic and it's not a secret. It is a universal, irrefutable, and immutable principle. If you bequeath peace and harmony to those around you, you will recieve peace and harmony. If you disseminate good will and love, you will be blessed with good will and love. If, however, you emanate ill-will and a cynical attitude, that is what you will receive from the world.

No, you don't need this book... but I highly recommend it. You see, as simple as it is to get what we want out of life, we have to overcome all of our past conditioning, all of our negativiy, and all of the bad habits we have spent a lifetime to form. It's very simple, but it is anything but easy! This book will help you to condition your toughts to break your inertia and get rid of bad habits of thought.

Start with this book as your point of departure into a new conciousness, a new awareness, and a new philosophy of life. Then read some of the other excellent books which other reviewers have recommended. You will find that it is easier to be a benfactor than a burden. Offer the best of yourself to the world, and then prepare yourself to receive in abundance!
2121 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 29, 2007
I had heard a lot about "The Secret" transforming lives, but I had not yet come across the book or DVD (neither of which would fit into my busy schedule). The audiobook was just perfect for my commute to and from work. It's inspiring. It packaged up a philosophy I was familiar with from a variety of teachings--mostly Edgar Cayce--into one fluid, accessible product. Edgar Cayce said all this stuff over 75 years ago--a nice reminder that "thoughts are things" and "your life is what you create it to be." Since "The Secret," mine's getting better everyday!
on May 28, 2011
I just finished listening to this on audio book which I recommend rather than reading it. I would listen to it while driving and it would be put me at complete ease. As for all the negative reviews, everyone is entitled to their opinions. Here is what I know for myself~the Secret has absolutely changed my life. I look at everything through a positive eye and do not allow myself to be pulled into the negativity around me. When people in my life (family or strangers) have a negative attitude I simply do not let it bother me. My mind has completely shifted in it's thought process. My outlook on everything is one of abundance and goodness. This has changed my relationships with my children, spouse and everyone I come in contact with. I see people responding to me differently too because I do not have that omnipresent chip on my shoulder anymore. I think if you open your mind and allow yourself to think outside the box then you will benefit from The Secret as well. Blessings to all.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 23, 2011
There are a zillion self help book, but for whatever reason, this one gave me HOPE.
I noticed a difference in almost all aspects of my life when I began to do the things
that are discussed in the book, Sometimes when I started to feel down I would open the book
anywhere and read 1 page and I would feel better right away. It talked about doing things
that were do-able. And it feels so much better to feel good about life than sad. I loved
this book so much I bought 3 used copies, and gave one to each of my sons and a friend.
It helped both my sons and friend, still pending. It's the kind of book to keep at your bedside
and re-read whenever you find yourself needing a lift. Many situations in mu life have changed
for the better and I believe "the secret" coming into my life help'd me to make that happen.
on May 5, 2013
I read this book a few years ago and like most of the bad ratings I've read here, I decided it was all bunk. Nothing like happiness can be that easy, right? Wrong! I feel sorry for the bad reviewers today. It's so much easier to be miserable and find fault with everything than it would be to take personal responsibility for positive change, because of course, nothing negative in our lives is our fault, right? We are so conditioned to blame everything and everybody else for our own misery, it has become common place in human nature to blame blame blame. Go ahead and criticize and blame, make fun of and devalue your own ability to make your life better. Take a pill to keep from taking the pill of responsibility for your own existence and the happiness to be achieved in living. Blame your DNA, your parents, your job, your kids, your husband, your brain chemistry, your health. Keep blaming and if that works for you then live that way, but don't bitch to anyone else that life just threw you a bad hand. That's pathetic. Misery loves company especially when it's your own company.

I reread this book with an open mind and basically all it teaches is to take some freekin responsibility for your own life, your own happiness and quit thinking it's going to come from anyone else or anything but you. For those who are skeptics, it affirms they will always be negative, no matter what. Sad!
on May 16, 2012
The Secret is a life changing book ,an adrenaline rush for the soul an antidote to misery and despair.
Three years ago after years of having a successful business and living the high life my business went bust and I lost almost everything ,my business ,my friends ,my car ,even my credit cards were taken off me . I really worried about how I could look after my wife and daughter and feared about losing my house. All I could think of was all the bad things that could happen to me .
Being a naturally positive person I tried to focus on positives while cutting back on every cost possible. One day I saw the secret on a book shelf in a local shop .It was expensive a meal for 2 but as I flipped through the pages my spirit started to rise and I knew I had to buy this book. With no job and no income the book taught me to focus on what I wanted ,what my dreams were how I wanted my life to be not how it was. I pinned a make believe cheque on the wall payable to myself for 500,000 pounds sterling (800,000 usd) .I started to write down all the great experiences I had had and all the things I was really good at and started saying thank you a lot and thinking twice before uttering a negative word. My attitude to life changed , I started to believe that if I thought something could happen then it would ,but not only that it gave me the inspiration to turn the could do into the I will do and this in turn created the I have . In other words I worked really hard while focusing on my goals and my positive attitude created positive things. That doesn't,mean that every problem suddenly disappeared it's just that I chose to focus on the positive ,what I wanted to happen .Problems were like a dirty tissue that I'd blown my nose on and stuffed into my pocket ,I'd get rid of them later.
Around 18 months later in 2011 I received more than I had written on the make believe cheque,life had turned around again ,I was happy but humble . I tell everyone about this book the secret but they say my story is so amazing I should write my own book ,what do you think.
on June 12, 2012
I finished this book in a day. It was impossible to put down. You really have to be open to a completely new frame of thought, but you will notice changes in your life once you apply the teachings. Truly. Life. CHANGING.
on August 17, 2007
I've been reading all the negative reviews from everyone, and all I can say is that I feel sorry for you. In order to understand and "take in" everything that's being taught, you have to have a level of depth within yourself, and a true understanding of how the spiritual world works.

I'll be the first to say that the teachings of the Secret is not for everybody, and that's obvious from the comments that I've been reading throughout the day. If you have no sense of spirit, then please sell your books, DVDs, or CDs on Ebay because you'll never grasp what's being taught here.

It's clearly stated throughout this presentation that "positive thinking" on what you want will bring the right people, circumstances, and events that will "lead" you to all that you want in life. So for those of you who understood it as "things just magically happen" as long as you think of it, nothing would be farther from the truth. I'm sure Rhonda Byrne has some sense of logic like the rest of us, and knows that a $[...] check isn't just going to appear in her purse because she thought it to be so. We too should be looking at this with some level of common sense (which is of coarse not so common).

As far as alot of you feeling that it's "greedy" to be focused on nice things like new cars, new houses, etc... This I feel, is the plague that has hit mankind with a vengeance. There's a reason why your next door neighbour is driving a new convertible BMW and you're still stuck with your Ford Pinto. There's a reason why you keep wondering why everyone around you ends up with all the money and all the greatness, and you're consistently living check to check.

The reason is because you've believed your entire life that it's wrong to want nice things..that it's wrong to focus on having a nicer house, or more money in your bank account. That my friends is a lie...a very sad lie. Rest assured, the more you "think" that it's wrong and immoral and materialsitic, the more you will attract less than the best.

Do you not know that GOD wants you to have a world of things? Do you really think GOD is happy seeing you sit there with lack??? HE CREATED THIS WORLD FOR YOU TO ENJOY!!! Don't ever feel that you lack heart or sensitivity by wanting nice things...you deserve to have an abundance of things!!! That's how GOD wanted it in the first place. As long as you always operate on the frequency of LOVE in having those things, and wanting to share what you have with the world (like Bill Gates and Oprah Winfrey do with the less fortunate), then you're in perfect harmony with the perfect design.

The narrator isn't telling you to sell your soul and be a heartless pig. She's simply showing you the beautiful ways to channel your energy into what you want, and attract it through your thoughts. GOD said in the bible, "I give you life, and life more abundantly". Operate in LOVE with everything that you do, and all the good things will manifest for you.

I can go on forever, but I ask you all to open your eyes, and take this knowledge in with an open heart.

I guarantee that you're cynicism will block your greater good.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have seen this movie, and read the book. The audio, in my opinion, is the most powerful. Why?
first, the author's voice is magical. I listen to a lot of audio tapes, and hers is 100 % pleasing and perfect. Next, your attention is completely focused on the words.. instead of watching the video.. or ..sometimes as I'm reading a book, my attention will stray.. I like that I can repeat the sections of the audio over and over
I feel empowered, energized, and in fact I'm giving this immediately to a loved relative, and buying another for myself. I feel this is a Bible.

These are principles I have always known, and always read about in other fields such as finance etc.. But this disc series is either the most well done, or it is the most timely for me. I don't know. (I have experienced visualizing success .. over my life. Good things such as good health, just about the exact car I wanted and the qualities in a tenant.. and even my house which I essentially bought without money of my own by doing things other people said were impossible. Called all of these to myself by being totally explicit and detailed in what I wanted. )