5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Movie for the Whole Family
About halfway through this movie I looked over my 8 year old daughter, and almost 12 year old son, to my husband and said, "I can't believe I'm getting goosebumps from a Tinker Bell movie."

Yes. Goosebumps.

Published 21 months ago by Randi Morse

2.0 out of 5 stars Cute Movie, but DVD skips out of the box
First off, my kids and I loved this movie. We now have all four Tink movies, and we will probably buy the next one as well. No violence, easy to relate to, beautiful imagery, and enough little things for both children and adults to enjoy.

Unfortunately, the quality of the discs is sub-par. I can't speak for the Blu-Ray discs, as we don't actually own a blu-ray...
Published 19 months ago by LuxuryShopper

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Movie for the Whole Family, October 14, 2012
This review is from: Secret of the Wings (DVD)

Yes. Goosebumps.

My daughter and I have watched all the Tinker Bell movies in the franchise, and have even watched the specials on the Disney channel. I have to say that we've loved all the movies, but I think Secret of the Wings is now my favorite.

I won't bore you with the synopsis, as you can read it above, but I will tell you about what we liked,

-New characters!! Not only do we get to see all the favorites, we get lots of brand new characters as well, including Periwinkle (of course), Dewey (the Keeper), Lord Milori (voiced by Timothy Dalton! Yes!), and a host of new friends from the Winter Woods.

-No bad guys. I realized when I was watching this that there are no bad guys in a Tinker Bell movie! There are bad things that happen (and an occasional stray cat), but there is really no one bad guy. I love that! I love that it teaches my daughter that bad things can happen but if you work together, and think outside the box (like Tink), you can solve almost any problem.

-Personal sacrifice. As one of the other reviewers here remarked, there is a moment of personal sacrifice made by Tinker Bell that truly makes the film. It shows that while her main focus is getting to know Periwinkle, she cares more about all of the fairies, and the great pixie dust tree, than her own wishes.

-Great music. I'm still singing..."and the great divide...doesn't seem so wide..." although I do miss the Celtic music from the previous movies.

-The story! How can I put this last? The story is FANTASTIC. Simple enough that children can understand it, and complex enough that adults will enjoy it (note: my husband and I were going "Ooooh - I know what's gonna happen" as there is quite a bit of foreshadowing, but it didn't ruin the movie at all!"

All in all, the entire family has marked this as one of the best Tinker Bell movies yet! Even the animation is getting better (the bobcat looks so real!).

Thanks, Disney, for making an amazing franchise - so...when's the next movie?!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful movie with a moment of personal sacrifice by Tinkerbell, September 5, 2012
This review is from: Secret of the Wings (Four-Disc Combo: Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray/DVD + Digital Copy) (Blu-ray)
I saw this movie with my new children on September 2012 at El Capitan in Los Angeles (a special showing). My three year-old daughter and my five year-old son sat there mesmerized for the duration of the whole movie. This movie has a beautiful story-line and wonderful execution. If Disney had touched up the scenery ("background") a little more, it could have easily been ready for theaters. Even as is, the winter scenery is well done. I actually think this movie might be my favorite of the four tinkerbell movies (and I have watched each of them several times with my kids).
The story includes a beautiful moment of personal sacrifice by Tinkerbell. She "gives up" something she values greatly to save those she loves (I cannot reveal details without spoiler alert). What a wonderful lesson for young ones! I would recommend this highly to any parent with a young son or daughter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another magical Tinker Bell adventure, October 21, 2012
I have to admit that Disney's Tinker bell movies have become something of a guilty pleasure for me. I say "guilty pleasure" because I'm a 41 year old male - hardly Disney's target audience for the Tinker Bell movies! What's more, I can't even use the "I watched this with my kids" excuse cos I don't have any!! But I believe these movies can be enjoyed by people of any age - male or female! I watched Secret of the Wings last night and thoroughly enjoyed it, and it's easily as good as the other 3 movies, possibly the best yet. My favourite so far was TB and The Lost Treasure, but this could easily surpass that after further viewings. It's wintry setting with all the snow and ice really give the film an enchanting, magical feel. I watched this on Blu-ray (2D) and the picture quality - as expected from Disney - is amazing. The winter setting with it's icy whites and cool blues really look great. This film really deserves to be seen in HD. All of the animation is top notch too - everything from the characters to the beautiful falling snow looks great. Don't think for a minute that because this is a straight-to-video release Disney have knocked out a sub-par release. This looks just as good as most other CG animated films that get the full theatrical release. FYI this film was at one point known as "Tinker Bell and the Mysterious Winter Woods". I will definitely be watching this again soon, and have no doubt that younger viewers could easily watch it many, many times. There's also trailer on this disc for the next TB adventure coming in Spring 2014...I can't wait!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Movie!, October 10, 2012
I was able to review this movie last night with the kids and all I can say is that it was an amazing film. The artists at Disney have re-created a beautiful world for the fairies and have introduced a brand new set of fairy friends into the mix. I loved the concept of the movie. I also loved the change from Winter to Summer that was shown in the movie. Tinker Bell shows great sacrifice in the movie, not only for herself, but also for all of Pixie Hollow. This sacrifice provides a great example of what it means to be family and a member of a community. I can say that the whole family thoroughly enjoyed watching this film and I already know that we will be watching it again and again in the months and years to come!

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Secret of the Wings' is the best Tinkerbell movie out of the 4., September 10, 2012
Cate C. (Altadena, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Secret of the Wings (DVD)
We saw this movie at the El Capitan theater in Los Angeles this past weekend (9/9/12). It was very enjoyable, and my 5 year old daughter and her friend were mesmerized. I really enjoyed it myself as well. Looking forward to this movie coming out on DVD!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another GREAT Disney Fairy movie!!, October 23, 2012
We love the Tinker Bell movies and this one did not disappoint. It was a wonderful story filled with adventure and fun. My 6 year old son and 3 year old daughter really enjoyed!!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 enthusiastic stars!!!, October 23, 2012
My daughter ADORES the Disney Fairies franchise. This movie was such a great addition. "The Pixie Hollows Games" short was very good as well. This movie keeps in the spirit of the other movies, and if you are a fan I highly encourage you to get it.

We try to get the digital copies because it helps to have them on our handheld devices while travelling. It's definitely a lifesaver!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another magnificent animated family film featuring one of Disney's most recognized iconic characters!, December 1, 2012
Whenever I review a Tinker Bell, I'm always amazed how each film gets better and better in overall animation and storytelling. With the release of "Secret of the wings", this animated family film is touching, fun and and highly entertaining!

Who is Tinker Bell?

Tinker Bell, a fictional character that was developed back in 1904 by J.M. Barrie and later on in 1911 in the novel "Peter and Wendy" is best known for her appearance in the 1953 Walt Disney film "Peter Pan". The character is quite iconic for Disney, as she is quite literally the unofficial mascot for the Walt Disney Company and can be seen in many of their commercials and in 2008, the character received her first animated film which was direct-to-DVD and Blu-ray.

After the success of the first "Tinker Bell" film in 2008, the whole gang returned for the second film titled "Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure" in 2009, and in 2010, Tinker Bell returned once more in "Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue". Now, the fourth film in the series is titled "Secret of the Wings" will be released on Blu-ray and DVD but also a Flitterific Fairies Double Pack which includes the Blu-ray+DVD+Digital Copy and a Blu-ray 3D.

VIDEO:

"Secret of the Wings" is presented in 1080p High Definition (1:78:1). First let me discuss the animation for this film and the Blu-ray version. With each Tinker Bell-related film, I have talked about how each film gets better and better when it comes to the computer animation and overall rendering of the models and scenery. There is more detail with each film and once again, "Secret of the Wings" looks vibrant and well-detailed with its colorful presentation. On Blu-ray, the film is absolutely vibrant, sharp and the details are noticeable in HD.

And I can continue to list so many positives from the plants, the clothing, the accessories and the beautiful backgrounds, the lush green grass, the water and ice effects, the trees and even the animals are well detailed with their hair effects. Also, the special effects via CG from the lighting effects utilizing the pixie dust and then my favorite, the animated facial expressions, is just definitely great to look at. Although not a big budget theatrical film, "Secret of the Wings" looks absolutely beautiful.

But the biggest positive of "Secret of the Wings" is that the film was created with 3D in mind. With the opening introduction of the film, you are greeted with objects that are coming right at you and immediately, you get to see how depth comes to play for this film.

From birds or fairies flying towards you, the film also adds depth to show height to various areas of the village that seem as if they are standing apart. The 3D for this film looks great and it really helps that the film was created with 3D in mind, as opposed to other Disney films that are more 3D depth-based and were not originally created in 3D.

AUDIO:

As for audio, the film is presented in English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, French and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital. While the film is crystal clear when it comes to the dialogue and music, there are some moments that do utilize the surround channels and effectively uses ambiance to bring the film to life. While not as immersive as I would have liked, the lossless audio for "Secret of the Wings" is still crisp and clear that families will find overall audio to be pleasing.

Subtitles are in English SDH, French and Spanish.

SPECIAL FEATURES

"Secret of the Wings: Flitterific Fairies Double Pack " comes with the following special features:

Pixie Hollow Games Bonus Adventure - (22:34) In this short animated feature with the Disney Fairies, the fairies of Pixie Hollow take part in a Pixie Hollow Games competition. But can anyone defeat the nine-consecutive Pixie Hollow Games champions, the Storm Fairies?
"Great Divide" Music Video performed by the McClain Sisters - (3:03)
"Dig Down Deeper" Music Video performed by Zendaya (from Pixie Hollow Games) - (3:08)
Pixie Preview" Fright Light - (1:02) A short animated feature about a mouse being chased by a rat.

EXTRAS:

"Secret of the Wings: Flitterific Fairies Double Pack" comes with a special lenticular slip cover case (different from the graphic that you see above plus a Blu-ray, DVD, Digital Copy and a Blu-ray 3D version of the film. The DVD is presented in Widescreen 1:78:1 - Enhanced for 16×9 televisions. Subtitles are in Englsh SDH, French and Spanish.

JUDGMENT CALL:

"Secret of the Wings" is possibly the most touching Tinker Bell film I have seen thus far! It's one thing to see Tinker Bell go on adventures and seeing her curiosity always leading her to good things but also bad things if she isn't careful. The film does have important lessons for children, but the overall story makes for a very entertaining and touching family film.

It's an interesting storyline because we are introduced to Tinker Bell's sister, Periwinkle. And it's rather touching and even emotional because they come from different lands that fairies from both Pixie Hollow and Winter Woods are to never cross to each other's lands. And for these two sisters who just met with each other, to be forbidden to each other is sad.

But of course, this is a Tinker Bell film and she always tries to find a way.

But possibly the most memorable scenes are when both try to enjoy each other's company by experiencing the fun and enjoyable things of their two lands. What beauty can the ice bring? And of course with Tinker Bell's home, the beauty of flowers, water and butterflies flying in the air. But when Periwinkle collapses because of the lack of cold weather and ice in Pixie Hollow, it becomes a battle of time to get her to safety before she loses her wings. And another major trouble hits both lands as the seasons change due to an accident. And the lives of fairies of both lands become threatened.

But as always, Tinker Bell always finds a way to get things fixed!

"Secret of the Wings" will attract younger and older audiences with its friendly screenplay and beautiful animation and music. It's also a film that is very accessible for boys or girls because the cast of characters feature guys and girls as fairies.

As for the voice acting, "Secret of the Wings" uses major talent for this fourth film and the voice acting was fantastic! You have Timothy Dalton ("James Bond" films: "License to Kill", "The Living Daylights", "The Tourist") providing the voice of Lord Milori, Anjelica Huston ("The Addams Family", "50/50″, "The Royal Tennebaums") as Queen Clarion, Megan Hilty ("Smash", "The Maiden and the Princess") as Rosetta, Lucy Liu ("Charlie's Angels", "Kill Bill") as Silver Mist and Lucy Hale ("Pretty Little Liars", "Privileged") as Periwinkle. And pretty much, all the voice talent from the three previous Tinker Bells films are back! Including Mae Whitman as Tinker Bell, Raven-Symone as Iridessa and Jesse McCartney as Terence, to name a few.

As for the Blu-ray release, "Secret of the Wings: Flitterific Fairies Double Pack" is outstanding. The film was created with 3D in mind and this film delivers when it comes to objects or animals coming right at you and also to show great amount of depth as the Fairies and birds fly around Pixie Hollow and Winter Woods. And as the Blu-ray 3D is effective, the regular Blu-ray looks absolutely gorgeous. Once again, the animation impressed me with its vibrant colors, sharpness and detail. You can see the characters blushing, you can see the detail on the flowers to the trees. Water and ice effects look fantastic! If anything, I know I gushed about the third film back in 2010, but "Secret of the Wings" for 2012 looks even more impressive! And the fact you get four versions of the film (Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray, DVD and Digital Download) is a plus!

And for special features, you get two videos, a very short Pixie Preview of "Fright Light" but you also get a 22-minute bonus animated adventure of "Pixie Hollow Games" featuring Tinker Bell and friends competing in various athletic games.

As for parents who are wondering if this film is scary at all, there really are no scary parts in this film. It's pretty safe! But of course as parents, you just want to remind the children that there are rules that grownups make, in order to protect people from getting hurt. And that is a message that is continually driven throughout the film. But also the importance of love and teamwork.

Another magnificent animated film featuring one of Disney's most recognized iconic characters, "Secret of the Wings' is a touching fantasy/adventure animated family film at its best and a perfect film for the entire family. A film created with 3D in mind, "Secret of the Wings: Flitterific Fairies Double Pack" is perfect for those who want to experience the film in 3D, in HD on Blu-ray, DVD or via Digital Copy. Overall, "Secret of the Wings" is a wonderful film for the winter that is highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent movie and not just for little girls!, October 22, 2012
I've known of Tinker Bell since I was a little girl, mostly from movies such as Peter Pan, Hook, and seeing her flittering about the screen for many things Disney. Until recently I never watched one of the Tinker Bell fairy movies though. I had the opportunity to screen Secret of the Wings in 3D while I was in Los Angeles in August, and then rewatched it after receiving the Blu-ray/DVD combo pack to review.

Secret of the Wings is the fourth Disney fairies movie and finally explores winter. The first four movies each focus on a different season. Winter is often tricky to animate due to the snow. Of course, Disney does a fabulous job because they make sure to study nature and keep it as real as possible - from the falling snow to the plants used for their clothing.

The biggest surprise in Secret of the Wings, besides the Winter Fairies and the Winter Woods, is learning that Tinker Bell has a sister named Periwinkle! Neither of them knew about the other, so we get to join them as they become fast friends and catch up with each other. This movie really shows some of the fun quirkiness you'll find between sisters and does well at forging an emotional connection.

Unfortunately, there are dangers to warm fairies crossing into the Winter Woods and vice versa. It's so dangerous that there's even a rule forbidding fairies to cross which upsets the girls. They don't wish to be separated any longer, but defying this rule causes trouble for the Autumn Woods and threatens life for all fairies. It takes some serious team work to make everything right again.

I really enjoyed this movie (especially in 3D). The writing is excellent in evoking emotion - I teared up several times the first time I watched it. And... I still teared up at least once when I watched it again with my daughter.

One thing I will say is that this movie is not overly girly. I know most people will think a fairy movie is for girls, but there are boy fairies in it as well. I didn't find it to be something that only girls would want to watch - I think most little kids (regardless of being a boy or a girl) would enjoy watching the Secret of the Wings!

This movie has lots of positive messages about family, friends, team work, and even parenting. When you learn about the rule about not allowing the fairies to cross over, I think you'll see how that can apply to parenting decisions and rules.

*I attended a press screening and also received a copy to review.

4.0 out of 5 stars The 2nd Best Feature in the 'Tinker Bell' Quadrilogy!, October 18, 2012
Got an early 2D Blu-ray (European) copy and watched it with my two kids (4 and 7), and they loved every minute of it. In fact, they've watched it 4 times within a week already :). For me, I find 'Great Fairy Rescue' to be the best in the series, 'Secret of the Wings' is a close 2nd, followed by the first, then 'Lost treasure'.

The Blu-ray video quality is simply reference grade, with the DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio also very good. No banding in the video as you sometimes get in animations, with crisp picture and lots of detail as expected from a completely digital source. The extras included are on the skimpy side, with the main highlight being 'Pixie Hollow Games', the so-so short that aired on the Disney channel earlier this year.

Secret of the Wings (Four-Disc Combo: Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray/DVD + Digital Copy)
$39.99 $24.88