1,080

on October 27, 2012
Format: Blu-ray
Wow! This must be the best direct-to-video movie we've ever seen. I sat down with the kids to watch what was only supposed to be a few minutes of this film the other night. However, I couldn't pull myself away and ended viewing the entire movie with them, complete with a lump in the throat and a smile on my face at the end. To sum up my experience in a trite phrase, "I laughed, I cried, it moved me". :-)

Seriously, I was not expecting much from this film. I got it because my daughter (age 7) and son (age 9) really enjoyed the other Tinkerbell movies, which we own. However, I never expected to enjoy it myself, as an adult. I was greatly mistaken. In fact, our kids are watching it again (for about the 8th time) with their aunt and uncle (who are also enjoying it very much).

Another quick note... We purchased the 3D/Blu-ray/DVD package. I can definitively say that the picture quality on the blu-ray is breathtaking! Additionally, the 3D is amazing! Definitely a great 3D disc to have if you're looking for more family films to add to your library.

Needless to say, this was a great purchase. I know this movie will be in heavy rotation in our home for years to come. Highly recommended!

P.S. I read that some people might be concerned about possible "environmental" overtones in this film. Look, I'm politically conservative and am sensitive to outright propaganda, but that is just nowhere in this film. If someone finds it in this movie, they are probably either ultra sensitive or really, really reaching. This is just a terrifically fun film for the entire family, with a refreshingly original story-line, and is very moving to boot! Enjoy! :-)
on January 7, 2014
Format: Blu-rayVerified Purchase
Ok, I normally think any newer 3D type of movies that Disney puts out to make more money tends to be a crap movie. BUT this one is actually quite good and I really do like it. It's a kids' movie, but it's still a genuinely good movie. This whole new franchise has actually grown on me to like it. I think it's a good movie franchise and now little girls and boys everywhere can dress up as a fairy. There are boy fairies in this series too, it's not just for girls, but it's mainly aimed at little girls.

The 3D isn't horrible, it's actually well done and pretty. The characters aren't bland or that annoying, some are, but it's mostly okay. I have a feeling the people at Disney used some Pixar people to make the background environments look better and the character design/animation as well.

Great movie for kids and people who like these kinds of movies. I think the director and screen writer made the characters easily identifiable with a younger audience because they're fairies but also with adults as well since the adults would probably be watching it with their kids and they don't want the parents to be that bored either. The characters have depth, and complexities that you would find in other Disney movies that isn't just aimed at a younger audience. I think they're stepping up their game into making a movie or set of movies to be better than just sub par.
Format: Blu-ray
I've known of Tinker Bell since I was a little girl, mostly from movies such as Peter Pan, Hook, and seeing her flittering about the screen for many things Disney. Until recently I never watched one of the Tinker Bell fairy movies though. I had the opportunity to screen Secret of the Wings in 3D while I was in Los Angeles in August, and then rewatched it after receiving the Blu-ray/DVD combo pack to review.

Secret of the Wings is the fourth Disney fairies movie and finally explores winter. The first four movies each focus on a different season. Winter is often tricky to animate due to the snow. Of course, Disney does a fabulous job because they make sure to study nature and keep it as real as possible - from the falling snow to the plants used for their clothing.

The biggest surprise in Secret of the Wings, besides the Winter Fairies and the Winter Woods, is learning that Tinker Bell has a sister named Periwinkle! Neither of them knew about the other, so we get to join them as they become fast friends and catch up with each other. This movie really shows some of the fun quirkiness you'll find between sisters and does well at forging an emotional connection.

Unfortunately, there are dangers to warm fairies crossing into the Winter Woods and vice versa. It's so dangerous that there's even a rule forbidding fairies to cross which upsets the girls. They don't wish to be separated any longer, but defying this rule causes trouble for the Autumn Woods and threatens life for all fairies. It takes some serious team work to make everything right again.

I really enjoyed this movie (especially in 3D). The writing is excellent in evoking emotion - I teared up several times the first time I watched it. And... I still teared up at least once when I watched it again with my daughter.

One thing I will say is that this movie is not overly girly. I know most people will think a fairy movie is for girls, but there are boy fairies in it as well. I didn't find it to be something that only girls would want to watch - I think most little kids (regardless of being a boy or a girl) would enjoy watching the Secret of the Wings!

This movie has lots of positive messages about family, friends, team work, and even parenting. When you learn about the rule about not allowing the fairies to cross over, I think you'll see how that can apply to parenting decisions and rules.

*I attended a press screening and also received a copy to review.
Format: Blu-ray
First off, I want to express some dissatisfaction with Amazon and Disney Movie Rewards for not coordinating efforts on DMR's coupon offer. I ended up buying this elsewhere because Amazon does not take DMR coupons. There has got to be a way around this. I would much rather buy it on Amazon and have it delivered to my door.

At any rate, Disney has hit it out of the park again with this one. There is a compelling story, surprisingly good animation for a direct to home video movie, good eye candy, great new voices and characters, old characters get appropriate screen time, and it beats the new stuff that Mattel is producing hands down. Monster High started off with a real stinker on DVD, and the Barbie movies are becoming unwatchable. The Tinker Bell movies are all good overall, but this one is probably the best.

Fans of the Tinker Bell from Disney's Peter Pan should know that the character has been homogenized for mass consumption in these movies. This is a kinder, gentler Tinker Bell, made to sell toys to little girls. It's not intended for people waxing nostalgic for the little fairy in Peter Pan whose behavior was sometimes a bit sociopathic.

In this installment, Tinker Bell meets her sister, a winter fairy who was born from the same baby's laugh as Tinker Bell. Tinker Bell breaks the rules again, because her curiosity is strong and that's just what she does. Winter fairies and spring/summer/autumn fairies cross into each others' worlds, and Tinker Bell and friends must once again save Pixie Hollow and the pixie dust tree.
Everything is better with sparkles - The fairy queen's dress is made of pixie dust, and there is plenty of glittery snow, with sparkling wings and other shiny things. The movie is visually appealing and is pretty to watch. Not to mention the handsome new male characters introduced as love interests for other peripheral characters.

Hey, it's that guy! - There are plenty of celebrity voices in this edition, including heavy-hitters like Timothy Dalton and Angelica Huston. There are plenty of young, up and coming actors who lent their voices to this too, so there will be celebrity voices that just about everyone will recognize. Even some of the characters are familiar--Dewey appears to be channeling Father Guido Sarducci. This is an old, rather obscure reference that few people will get, but it was interesting to hear this accent on a librarian fairy.

The extra features on the 4 disc combo pack are OK. There are 2 music videos and a teaser for the next Tinkerbell feature, along with a mini-movie called Pixie Hollow Games. Whatever you do, do not select the sneak peeks. There are so many of them that go for so long that by the time they're done, the polar ice caps will have melted and the earth will be ruled by dirty apes.

I don't see anything here that might be considered inappropriate for children, and I would be comfortable watching this with the whole family. I think that this movie is something you will enjoy if you can accept this version of Tinker Bell, and if you enjoy children's movies in general. This is a great story with great lessons and clean adventure for everyone.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 18, 2012
Format: Blu-rayVerified Purchase
Got an early 2D Blu-ray (European) copy and watched it with my two kids (4 and 7), and they loved every minute of it. In fact, they've watched it 4 times within a week already :). For me, I find 'Great Fairy Rescue' to be the best in the series, 'Secret of the Wings' is a close 2nd, followed by the first, then 'Lost treasure'.

The Blu-ray video quality is simply reference grade, with the DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio also very good. No banding in the video as you sometimes get in animations, with crisp picture and lots of detail as expected from a completely digital source. The extras included are on the skimpy side, with the main highlight being 'Pixie Hollow Games', the so-so short that aired on the Disney channel earlier this year.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 15, 2014
Format: Amazon Instant VideoVerified Purchase
My daughter loves this movie and I was, again, surprised by how much I enjoyed watching it too. Disney really has a good series here and the Tinkerbell characters continue to entertain (with the exception of one unnecessarily dopey winter fairy character in this one; why they need a new-age stoner character is beyond me.) Nothing scary for my 3 year old in this one and I love hearing the voices of Angelica Houston and Timothy Dalton. Good watch.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 2, 2014
Format: Blu-rayVerified Purchase
My granddaughters adore Tinkerbell and this Blu-ray is no exception. Another Disney Classic in the making. I am making sure my granddaughters and their daughters will have access to all the Disney Classics in the future.
on April 7, 2014
Format: Blu-rayVerified Purchase
Love it like all the other Disney Fairies films, and I'm the mom! I find these movies so adorable and glad the plots are getting stronger with each new addition.

Also, it doesn't say it, but this version comes with the Pixie Hollow Games short! So if you don't have either, this saves you like $9 (from not buying the short on dvd)
on October 25, 2013
Format: Amazon Instant VideoVerified Purchase
She loves it. Watches it every time she is at my house. She comes in asking for it. She is 11 years old
on August 28, 2013
Verified Purchase
Bought this for my daughter for Christmas. She loves it and so do I. How can anyone not love Tinker Bell? lol