Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on August 31, 2012
Legendary Green Bay Packers coach Vince Lombardi was famous for his emphasis on basics (more on that later). Many others have also recognized and stressed basics and fundamentals to their great success and the success of their teams and organizations of all types, but that's not the important thing right now. What is important is YOUR success in sales. This book will make a huge difference to your sales productivity and results whether you're new to sales or are a seasoned veteran who has "seen and done it all".

I'm the owner of a company that sells an extremely discretionary product--one that a customer can say "no" to without dramatically affecting their immediate future. Using the tools in this book, we drive past the reasons not to buy and close far more sales than we would if we were content to simply be "Presenters" rather than CLOSERS. (Buy and read the book to find out why this distinction is critically important.) The material in this book and the valuable principles it so clearly presents are now a cornerstone of our sales training program. I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

One of the biggest challenges in sales is collecting and sorting through the mounds of "tips" and other good advice that are so common in sales know-how. Mike Kaplan has done the work for us, collected the knowledge, sorted the wheat from the chaff, and put it into an approachable and easily-digested step-by-step process that will keep you on track and winning throughout your sales career. You will have a more focused understanding of the parts of selling and the relative importance of things like "know all of the benefits of your product" versus "get the client's head nodding in agreement" versus "be likable because people do business with those they like". All very important, but these aren't just random tips. The truth is that they're each a part of the sales process and are used in a particular way at particular times. This book will help you sort all of that out (or review and refocus your approach if you're a veteran salesperson).

A major key to success is doing the things that successful people have done and learning the things they've learned. We can take many lessons from Mike Kaplan and Vince Lombardi. I'm very grateful that they've both shared their knowledge so that we can all work efficiently to have the success we deserve. This book is about fundamentals. The principles in this book will change your approach to sales--or reinforce the successful actions you already perform. How important are fundamentals...? Vince reportedly began a summer training camp on a Back to Basics theme by holding up a ball and saying, "Gentlemen, this is a football." Now, that's dedication to basic fundamentals. This book can help you rack up a winning record like Vince and the Packers did.

Happy hunting and best wishes for success with your sales!
on September 28, 2012
I found this book a good read, nothing new to me by any stretch, but a good basic sales book. If you haven't really read lots of sales book or are new to sales, read this to cut through a lot of rubbish. If however you are after an advanced sales book then I would suggest skipping it.
on July 25, 2013
Having worked in sales all my life I have read a lot of sales books and I really enjoy reading those kind of books which get you directly to the point and provide a few practical examples/techniques of each concept. This is one of those books. If you have read Zig Ziglar's sales books you will notice certain influence on the concepts and the process itself but Mike Kaplan explains it in a very clear and schematic way, well structured and easy to read. I recommend it to anyone involved in sales
on November 20, 2012
I am not discounting that the information provided in this read is valuable, it just isn't providing the value of the title for what I was expecting(that may be my over-expectation). First, the points covered are not secrets, nor that of a "master closer". Again they are valid, but if you have any extensive time in selling this is not the book that will open new doors or turn on any light switches that you weren't already aware of. If you have little experience and are looking to move from say a level 3 salesperson to a 6 this may be a good read for you, but I would still look elsewhere first if you are versed on any advanced sales process'.
55 comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 23, 2014
Honestly, as the rating suggests, I was disappointed that the content of this book didn't quite measure up to all the hype in the reviews and the back cover. I bought 5 sales books, and this one was by far the least helpful (I give it 2 stars because some of the content in the book sparked a few unrelated ideas that I could use in my sales approach). It should be called "Secrets of a Cheesy Car Salesman", because most of the examples seem like they'd only work in a 1980's infomercial (especially the generic responses of "Oh, wow!" "Amazing!" etc.)

The book is sporadically riddled with caps-lock paragraphs, which I found a bit tacky. Between that and the seemingly thousands of "this is important to you and would provide benefit to you, right?" one after another, it seems like Mike Kaplan is steadfast on treating everyone like an oblivious 2 year old (readers and customers alike). Personally, since I don't sell to 2 year olds, I will be using practical strategies gathered from the other books I read. My ultimate conclusion is that there are far better books out there for your money.
on May 14, 2015
Not that great. It's pretty much "hard sell" and you'll sound like a telemarketer. I had to stop reading it after awhile because the examples used were way too pushy and sounded EXACTLY like what a telemarketer would say.

I'm not saying the book itself is all bad for everyone - the one star refers to how I saw it for myself. Maybe if "hard sell" telemarketer-like strategies are what you need or what is the norm in your area, then maybe this will work for you. I don't like it at all though.

I also bought "How I Raised myself from failure to success in selling " by Frank Bettger and that one was amazing and I'd recommend that one instead.
on April 16, 2013
One of the few sales help books (I've read over 70 of them) I've read that I can actually use. This is a no frills, meat on the bones how to manual written from an author that has obviously "walked the walk". I highly recommend this short book on the selling process. For those of us who are long on presentation and short on closing, this book will encourage you to ask the closing question. And it gives dozens of examples on how to do just that.
on September 18, 2013
I've never written a review before, but I felt compelled because of the amount of money I will make with the concepts I learned in this book. This is a great introductory book into sales, as well as great book for the experienced. In sales knowing how to do something is not enough, you must know "the why" behind what you are doing and this book breaks that all down. The 8 step road map to closing the deal is a foundational plan that can turn anybody into a good sales person if they internalize this information and have the discipline to apply it on every prospect. This book is a quick read that covers everything in the sales process without neglecting pertinent information or putting in unnecessary fluff. If you are questionable about a career in sales, Mike Kaplan shows you sales is a learnable skill with a formula for success like anything else in life. This book has an affordable purchase price but it's worth its weight in gold.
on July 31, 2013
I have been a student of sales for the last 30 years and this book nails it. From start to finish, Mike's approach is how sales should be conducted, simple and to the point. If you want to read one book, and only one book, then read this one. You will learn and gain success in the process.
on July 3, 2012
Thank you, thank you, thank you for finally making sense of the sales process! This book is pure gold. As a Realtor for over 22 years I've been to dozens of useless seminars and "sales training" sessions and afterwards (to no avail) asked brokers and sales managers this question...."Yes, but how do you sell? Where is the basic step-by-step technology? That works every time and for every situation? That doesn't involve psycho-babble, personality or the color of your suit? Surely someone must know. There must be a book about it somewhere!" Well, Secrets of a Master Closer is it! It not only gives you the technology of how to sell, it does it in a way that makes it possible to actually apply. If you've ever wanted to be a better sales person, read this book first. Save yourself the aggravation of attending seminars that leave you spinning. This book will hep you become the sales person you've always wanted to be. Even if you're a housewife who just wants a husband who takes you out for dinner more often!