5.0 out of 5 stars Beware of duplication
I bought a copy of Secrets of Mental Maths. As a trained scientist and a professional magician I was interested in the contents, and was not disappointed. Great stuff here for impressing people, and useful techniques for making maths fun. However the Amazon website offered two books togehter - this book and another by the same authors; Think Like A Maths Genius. I ordered...
Published on July 10, 2007 by Anthony Galvin

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but watch out for the typos
I bought this book in its Kindle version for my PC. I am enjoying it, and happy to see progress in my ability to perform mental calculations. Math was never my strong suit, so this is just what I need.
My only negative comment is that the publisher needs to more carefully edit the text. I came upon three typos within the first couple of chapters, and these were...
Published on December 13, 2009 by Fritillary Lil

‹ Previous | 110 11 1219 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars too common, July 20, 2012
This review is from: Secrets of Mental Math: The Mathemagician's Guide to Lightning Calculation and Amazing Math Tricks (Paperback)
This book is just common sense. Our 3rd grader uses this type of technique already without any teaching. If you really like to learn speedy calculation, look for Vedic Mathematics that will be a lot more useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy This Book!, June 14, 2012
Frank from CO (Colorado Springs) - See all my reviews
This was probably the best $10 expenditure I have ever made! I wish they gave these out in school. My granddaughter loved it so they will get to sell me another.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, May 15, 2012
I took this book out of the library and then had to own it. It's addicting. I am an elementary teacher and my kids love it too. It's a must have if not for yourself, then your students.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite Amusing!!, April 25, 2012
Well I bought this book for amusing purposes only,but it became and obsession.Everything started when I took the books in my hand and started to read it and the other day I was to trying to surprise my friends with a little math tricks.They couldn't understand how I was doing calculations so fast!After then I am reading it everyday and I practice all the time to the things I have learned previously.

5.0 out of 5 stars Math Shortcuts, March 8, 2011
This book is well written. There are many work problems in basic mathematics with answers provided for every example. Each problem is worked out with explanations for each step on how to solve it. I highly recommend this book. It is amazing how much simpler math is using the methods explained by both authors, Arthur Benjamin and Michael Shermer. They are geniuses.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect math lessons for a technology course!, July 31, 2010
Just reading several pages sent chills down my spine, because the lessons are short and to the point for my high school courses. I am teaching technology courses that will require high-level thinking in mathematics in order to complete advanced Technology and Engineering courses, and my children will enjoy the techniques covered in this book. I can't wait for school to start!

4.0 out of 5 stars "Secrets of Mental Math" UPDATE to a very good book and thanks for the tricks I am learning a lot!, May 24, 2013
I am totally updating my initial review of "Secrets of Mental Math" because I am more than enough of a Man to admit when I am wrong! My initial review was fueled by frustration that should have been directed at the awful school system we suffer from (I LOVE America, I do NOT like out school system, grade school, jr. high, highschool--I really enjoyed and learned a lot in College:)

Anyway, I locked myself in a quiet room with "Secrets of Mental Math" a pen and paper and some hot, strong coffee and I FORCED myself to do all the examples and read until I did find the "how to" (initially they just show off and this pissed me off because it reminded me of the smart kids in the front row that answered every question easily and mislead the teachers into thinking we all understood how to do things when in fact most of us were almost "drowning" and stuggling just to pass the class and the teachers just wanted to teach to those bright students and left the rest of us in the dust--the authors totally show off yet they also teach )

So now after a few days of practice I am actually able to do some cool math magic, even in my head! I am a bit Math Dyslectic (not sure if this is a real learning issue, yet I know many people tend to "switch numbers" when they are under stress and I got many "wrong number phone calls" over the years from people trying to dial a 948 and instead they misdialed a 984 and so got the wrong number. I sometimes do this with addresses too and I know I had "bad math teachers" who actually used "bad hypnosis" to program me that "you just aren't good at math, be glad you are so smart in most other subjects..."

So I deprogrammed myself with Self Hypnosis, NLP, EFT, etc. and now I know to be really careful of my "bad habit" of "switching numbers" and also of using tiny corners of pages to do arithmatic and so I can barely even read my own handwriting (this comes from the "you have to show your work or we think you are cheating" from bad school systems because early on I learned to be good at math from my European born mother and I "got in trouble" with the schools for "doing things my way" and eventually they just confused me so much that I "WAS bad at math" and now I am actually quite good and improving all the time.

My apologies to the very good authors of "Secrets of Mental Math" and I am grateful for their very good book and glad I am stubborn enough and open minded enough to give things another try and so I can learn better and be more Limitless :)

Michael Twomey

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, October 4, 2010
I know most of the the basic Math problems and how to solve them using a calculator but I needed a refresher before going back to school.

After seeing those 5-8 year old kids on T.V. doing math in their head I kinda though it was cool.

Those kids are going to be successful and maybe I can learn also?

Well, I bought both of the top selling books on Amazon regarding shortcut to math.

I'm that type of person that can't stand prolong reading and want to learn everything now!

I bought this book as a back-up and the the other book with the less pages as my main choice.

Well fortunate for me I bought this book because the other book with the shorter pages expected me to know everything about math and dove straight into the deep end.

I actually started to drown.

Not only that, but it was not an enjoyable read at all. It was like going back to school which put me off learning Math to begin with.

I kind of knew it wouldn't be all fun and games but it couldn't be this hard right?

Well it's not. This book is pleasant and fun to read. Everything is laid-out.

This book covers it all from start to finish. It's very easy to follow and I never felt challenged once. Everything is step by step and at you're own pace with good instruction and examples.

Well worth you're money and enjoyable to read also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some fantistic math shortcuts that ANYONE can do, July 3, 2014
Some fantastic shortcuts that will really dazzle you (and your friends). Makes math simple and fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, June 30, 2014