5.0 out of 5 stars A solid Beginner's guide
This is a solid and well-written book for beginner and intermediate types.

I pre-orderd this book because I like Peachpit's books and I had heard so much about podcasting that I thought I'd better 'get in the game'.

Published on August 20, 2005 by Adam-bo-badam

1.0 out of 5 stars Beginners Only
This book is only good if you have absolutely zero experience or knowledge of podcasting. If you have already recorded a few shows, this book isn't for you.
Published on March 6, 2006 by Thomas W P Slatin

5.0 out of 5 stars A solid Beginner's guide, August 20, 2005
This review is from: Secrets of Podcasting: Audio Blogging for the Masses (Paperback)
This is a solid and well-written book for beginner and intermediate types.

I was pleasantly surprised with this book. The author goes into detail about what podcasts are, where they came from, and then each of three chapters explain how to get and listen to podcasts as well as create and publish them.

An easy read that's well put together. Hopefully this review is helpful to others.

Adam

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Resource, September 18, 2005
I recently purchased an iPod and immediately fell in love with it. Then, I heard about Podcasting and was quite intrigued. However, I was barely familiar with my iPod itself, let alone all the nifty things it could do. I love my blog and I love reading other blogs, so I wanted to pick up Podcasting (aka audio blogging) as soon as possible. Thus, I picked up this book and I'm totally glad I did. Secrets of Podcasting : Audio Blogging for the Masses is an excellent resource for explaining the ins and outs of Podcasting. It's well-written, easy to understand and worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful and straightforward, September 15, 2005
As a podcasting novice I found this book to be extremely useful.

It covers everything you need to get set up - from listening to other podcasts to creating your own and getting them heard.

There's also pointers for improving your podcast quality.

The PC material was useful, but can't comment on the Mac or Linux stuff.

The layout was logical and wording was clear and concise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written, just enough detail for this beginner, August 22, 2005
I use a Macintosh and I have to say that this book covered the Mac very well. In each of the how-to areas it includes step by step instructions for both Mac and PC users. I can't speak to the PC stuff, but the Mac section was very complete and helped me create my very first podcast for a fansite I run.

I would recommend this book to any beginner or intermediate podcast enthusiast whether you are just wanting to listen to podcasts or create your own. The part of the book that shows how to create a podcast from scratch was VERY helpful to me. I followed the instructions and after a few hours I had my first short podcast.

Another thing that I found particularly interesting was the inclusion of interviews with podcast insiders and experts. These interviews are mostly informal in nature but they help show how this new technology is already changing radio.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book on Podcasting, September 14, 2005
This is an excellent book for anyone wanting to know what podcasting is all about.

It is clearly written and well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practically Perfect, December 5, 2005
This is a very good book. Secrets of Podcasting: Audio Blogging for the Masses, with a little effort, will enable most people to create and publish a podcast. However, I do have a few caveats.

The first is that the author in trying to do a through job of discussing the technology ends up covering much of which has already become obsolete or replaced by new models. The iPod Mini, for example, is no longer on the market and the newest version of Pod2Go, while still a nifty application, no longer supports podcasts because, as its latest release notes state, iTunes now does the job. The information is still very useful, but it seems that being too specific gives a book with a copyright date of 2006 a dated feel already.

The tutorial on RSS was the most valuable section for me. I think that it may be a bit enigmatic if you are not accustomed to coding HTML by hand, but it does the job of imparting enough information to create one's own syndicated feed. [I would like to suggest that running your code through Feed Validator ( [...] ) will really help you in this task.]

Finally, there are some helpful interviews. The one of Phil Torrone in which he suggests that you not rush out and buy a lot of pro gear may well be worth the price of the book. (If only I would heed that advice.)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the better first books, September 14, 2005
Clyde Barrow (Central Canada) - See all my reviews
I purchased Todd Cochrane's book as well as this one, and while they both cover the same ground, this one seems to be a little more detailed and contains better step-by-step instructions. This book also has a lot of information about both PC and MAc, and even some on Linux and handhelds.

I guess they are both decent enough but this is the book I find myself using more often than not.

I found the interviews with podcasting experts and pinoeers interesting as well.

Well wroth the money for a beginning or even semi-experience podcast enthusiast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real world guidance on creating podcasts, January 16, 2006
reviewer at HuNTUG (Huntsville Alabama) - See all my reviews
Secrets of Podcasting--Audio Blogging for the Masses

By Bart G. Farkas

Published by Peachpit Press

ISBN 0321369297

Reviewed by Jim Lauria-HuNTUG member

Real world guidance on creating podcasts

A well written and well illustrated guide for beginners looking to create or locate podcasts on Windows or Mac machines.

Farkas includes plenty of screenshots and illustrations to simplify the informative text on how to download podcasts on MP3 players, create scripts and set the flow of your podcast, picking software for editing and recording, and legally playing music on your podcast.

He also offers advice on choosing the right equipment and distributing your podcast and RSS/XML feeds.

An interesting book for beginners which gets a 5 star rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Title's a bit misleading, but the material is solid..., December 23, 2005
Although I haven't (yet?) created one, I am becoming more interested in the podcasting phenomenon. A very good "get your feet wet" book to get someone started in that area is Secrets of Podcasting - Audio Blogging for the Masses by Bart G. Farkas.

Contents: Podcasting Basics; Jumping In; Creating a Podcast; Podcasting Distribution; Appendix; Glossary; Index

Yes, there's only four chapters... but they're *long* chapters... :)

I don't know that I would have titled this book "Secrets of". That almost implies that the book covers the nitty-gritty of podcasting and goes into great detail on specialized topics. That's not the case. Instead you get a broad coverage of the subject matter, from what it is to how to create your own. I've reviewed a number of other podcast books that go into great detail on mics, setting up your own studio, etc. Not here... This is really targeted at someone who either wants to know more about this strange new thing called podcasting, or someone who wants to create a podcast and wonders how to go about it. The information is highly practical, and you get all the "must know" information in order to make sure you are successful your first time out. If you then want to continue on and carry it to the next level, you can look for the books that get into the esoterica of sound theory and such...

I liked how Farkas listed a large number of software packages and hardware recommendations to get started. There's no emphasis on "buying the best of everything", but rather making solid purchases (or downloading solid open source software) that will serve you well going forward and make sure you don't sound like a rank amateur out of the gate. With coverage of Mac, Linux, and Windows platforms, you're pretty sure to find something that will fit your configuration. Also, if you're just into listening, chapter 2 (Jumping In) will give you everything you need to know on how to find, download, and manage the podcasts you find. All this is done with some off-beat humor and a number of interview sidebars with actual podcasters. Getting the perspective of where things are going from more than just the author adds quite a lot to the mix.

So long as you're not looking for expert level tips when you buy the book, you should enjoy the material and get real value from it. I certainly enjoyed reading it, and learned a bit in the process...

5.0 out of 5 stars Illuminating, not boring!!, September 27, 2005
Geek88 (Pasadena, CA) - See all my reviews
The author writes clearly and with enough detail that you can not only produce your own podcast, but that you also understand what you're doing! The interviews and peripheral information were good reads, which surprised me as most beginning how-to books about technology tend to be pedantic and boring. This book was money well spent, and I hope PeachPit does a sequel.

Secrets of Podcasting: Audio Blogging for the Masses
Secrets of Podcasting: Audio Blogging for the Masses by Bart Farkas (Paperback - August 19, 2005)
$19.99 $18.99