Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

47%
53%

on February 8, 2009
As a small stakes sit'n'go player who is successfully building a bankroll from a $60.00 deposit (increased 500% to $360.00 in 6 weeks and fewer than 500 sit'n'gos), I was glad to discover this excellent contribution to sit'n'go poker literature. If you are looking to build a bankroll through sit'n'go play then this book is a must read. Some of my favorite topics this book touches on are:

Reasons for playing sit'n'gos as opposed to MTT's and cash games

Maximum realistic ROI's for small, medium, and high stakes sit'n'go play

How to turn a $200.00 bankroll into $100,000.00 in a year using sit'n'gos and good bankroll management

ROI differences between turbo and standard sit'n'gos

What stack sizes are good and not so good for defending blinds

How to play various crucial bubble situations

Ranges for all in pushes and calls based on stack sizes, distance from making the money, and opponent playing styles

Many valuable hand examples with recommendations

One thing I noticed was that the author seems to have an attitude that favors making the money first and then afterward gambling in many situations but other authors I have read are very comfortable with risking elimination on the bubble to double up and have a greater shot at the first place lion's share of the money. I would much rather be a 40% ITM player if it meant more 1st place finishes than a 50% ITM player with only a rare 1st place finish.

Also, the ICM recommendations will probably work better for tougher competition but at the small stakes I play in with many loose callers, the results can be disastrous since all of the donkeys just don't give you much fold equity. I still find some situations in which the ICM recommendations are useful but I find that in my small stakes games when I am a short stack that shoving on a hand that rates to be the best preflop hand (as opposed to 9 10 s or k 8 ) gets plenty of loose calls and doubles me up quite often. The bottom line is that I don't have to steal too many blinds to build my stack but just shove on good hands and I get plenty of double ups. After almost 500 sit'n'gos my ROI is near 15% so obviously my fairly straightforward play with a slightly reduced all in pushing and calling range when small stacked is working well at these stakes.

To the author's credit, he is a successful sit'n'go player at all stakes and anyone who takes his/her sit'n'go game seriously will benefit from this book. I know I will be rereading it several times throughout my sit'n'go career.
on February 19, 2009
I read Sit N' Go Strategy at the beginning of the year and found it to be mathematically sound. The tone of Secrets of Sit n' Go was a little easier to read and had a lot to do with psychology. I wouldn't recommend reading Secrets without reading Strategy as well because the two compliment each other very well.

A couple of disappointments: lots of typos as the first review said which is kind of annoying because the typos would actually MAKE a difference and contradict the author's point. Second is that the reader is only getting about 130 pages of reading material the other 90 or so pages are quizzes. The quizzes part is pretty normal it's just easier to count the amount of material because the quizzes have their own section opposed to being integrated into each chapter.
on December 10, 2010
I like the way this book is written a lot more then Sit 'n Go by Colin Moshman. Also the comments on the misspellings are wrong. The writer uses proper English. What looks to be misspelled is spelled correctly for people in England and Canada. It looks funny when you see it for the first time but I do a lot of international business so it looks normal to me now.
on December 27, 2008
This book can be great for learning strategy for sit'n'go's...however you wonder just how much to trust in the writings of the Author because this book is PACKED full of typo's and on at least one page there was conflicting information(page 204). Phil Shaw is suppose to be a writer and journalist.....this books writing reflects badly on his credibility as either of those and therefore makes me slighty cautious about his "poker advice" as well. However, if you can wade through the many errors, it offers some great information for playing all levels of sit'n'go's that you may chose to investigate further through other readings or practice.
on April 16, 2009
The author Phil Shaw aka Jackal69 is a poker instructor for Cardrunners, which is a website that teaches you how to play poker. There he teaches how to play sit and go and become a winning player. This book is a good way to start and learn more about this game. All the books have it's limitations to a certain degree. If you are looking for a book to read more about sit and gos I beleive this is a good book to start learning about the different stages you will encounter and also how to use ICM (Independant Chip Model) to make correct decision at the bubble. By learning this you can stop leaks in your play during the bubble.
on January 14, 2009
This book is awesome and perfect for SNGs.

It covers all the concepts and has lots of examples and HH which is what a good book is all about.

It is also very well structured and its easy to look things up or just read through it from start to end.

The author also has a proven record you can look up at sharkscope and does a ton of vids on cardrunners which are all excellent
on August 25, 2011
Excellent book if you follow the instructions you will become a winning player a low stakes although my last 20 games have been average my first 70 were good. You will find that nearly every opponent you come up against regularly employs the same strategy. I have a few questions I will be seeking answers for on the poker forums but overall a good book
on March 2, 2016
Excellent instructions. Rereading it to get the information better formed in my head. Have won several sit n goes from following this book.
on January 4, 2013
Well, this is simply one of the best books out there about Sit n Go's.

I consider it, along with Colin Moshman's Sit n Go Strategy, the two books everyone should read in order to have the background needed to be competitive in Sit n Go's.

Highly recommended!
on January 18, 2011
Any Sit-N-Go player who is starting out should get this book!
Strongly reccomend you read it before logging more than 50 games.
Price of book will pay for itself in what you get back.