5.0 out of 5 stars Another round of applause for Tompkins & Bird!
BACK IN PRINT!
This is a thoroughly researched book that will astonish you in more ways than one. It is HIGHLY educational, but you won't find any of this valuable information in a standard textbook on soil science, gardening, or whatever.
Published on April 2, 2001 by K'sGarden

1.0 out of 5 stars Flaky New Age Stuff
I purchased this book thinking that it would give valuable insight into soil microbes, soil composition, etc. instead it flakes out with new age "stuffing horns with manure" and how many times to stir a concoction to draw cosmic forces..really a waste of money!
Published 11 months ago by Gus

5.0 out of 5 stars Another round of applause for Tompkins & Bird!, April 2, 2001
This review is from: Secrets of the Soil : New Solutions for Restoring Our Planet (Paperback)
BACK IN PRINT!
Some of it might seem a little far-fetched or at least put a little pressure on preconceived beliefs, but the nice thing is, Tomkins & Bird have found a way to present some rather amazing concepts in a take-it-leave it sort of way, because the most assured thing about this book is that you will be inspired with the DESIRE to do SOMETHING no matter how "small" the beneficial act!
While the factual information about mankind's stupidity and carelessness over the last few decades will break your heart all over again, this book offers many different ways for each of us as individuals to help heal the soil - the very foundation of life under our own two feet - and to help heal OURSELVES in the process.
Even if your custodial duties only incude managing your own lawn, a few trees, some flower beds or HEY a little compost pile with kitchen scraps and pulled weeds -- this book will inspire and empower you to begin helping to restore (or at least convince you to stop trying to kill) the vast UNIVERSE of microorganisms which live literally in your own back yard! Given half a chance, these little "buggers" will work hard to produce all the natural chemicals you will ever need to enjoy soft green healthy grass in your lawn, lovely fragrant flowers, nice sturdy and shady trees, and if you're into growing foodstuffs, wonderfully healthy food containing life-giving protoplasm and perfectly cheltated minerals... WOW... and all these things absolutely free of charge!
This book will re-acquaint you with the "lowly" earthworm which is far from being a worthless creature! Ancient peoples who were far more "in tune" with the inner workings of nature and who demonstrated far better common sense than their modern counterparts (us) revered this gentle organism. You will quickly learn the reasons why!
What is all the fuss about "hierloom seed" varieties? It's not just a bunch of sentimental folks who are trying to preserve their grandad's favorite tomato and great grandma's favorite pretty flowers, or who just like collecting a different sort of "antique".
Do you get all upset with WEEDS? Think again. The neat information in this book puts the "we" back into weeds again. It's entirely possible to "make peace with these weeds" and end the bloody war with the use of our backyard chemical weapons. Weeds are visible indicators that our soil needs certain nutrients or minor assistance. If we pay attention, we can learn from them, and they will quietly become less bothersome. Think I'm kidding? No way. And there's much much more!
This book will really change the way you think about the earth as a whole, about the "dirt" under our feet, and about Life in general. And the title is apt, the things you learn are real "secrets" that should no longer be kept secret.
Your Soul will thank you for this read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Secrets of the Soils will open your eyes to unseen worlds., March 8, 1999
First published in 1989 by Harpers and Row, "Secrets of the Soil" not only breathed new life into an increasingly solipsistic U.S. Biodynamic movement, it also provided the initial pulse for the growing interest among American alternative agriculturists in the use of "subtle energies" to boost the productivity of their farms and gardens by enhancing soil fertility while providing new means of working with pests and plant diseases. Radionics, Cosmiculture, Chelation, Vortices, Agnihotra, are all covered in Secrets of the Soil with unerring insight and enough depth to keep the home researcher motivated for a lifetime. As if this were not enough, all the information about fringe science, the Towers of Power, the Cosmic Pipes, the Dowsing and the "Wishing," is sandwiched between four thick chapters and two fat appendices that cover Biodynamic agriculture in about as straight forward and practical of a fashion as you will find anywhere. If you work with plants or eat food and don't own this book, you better buy it now! It will give you something to think about, or, in other words: thought for food!

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing reading, October 24, 1997
By A Customer
Secrets of the soil changed the way that I approach life. The book details the wonders of how everything is connected in the cosmos, and we are but a tiny but powerful influance on our home.This book led me to discover the life saving benifits of minerals. it is simply a good good read.there are NO chemicals used in our garden or home thanks to secrets of the soil. it's a shame this book is out of print. it should be required reading in all of the school systems in the world, it's that informative. Best book I have read to date. Rev.Bruce Curtis

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonder-ful book!, December 4, 2007
I stumbled across this book in the library in 1994 and read the first few chapters about biodynamic organics and thought, "This is too far out for me!" I read MB's review, and I can understand how he feels, as this stuff is way outside the realm of mainstream thinking. However, by the time I had finished the last chapter, stuffing manure in cow horns seemed downright normal. So I thought, why not give biodynamic organics a try?

Now, 13 years and many gardens later, I am totally sold on this method. There are not enough years in my life to try all the other things in this book, but I don't need to since I am so pleased with how biodynamic organics has improved the soil in my sandy garden. It is now teeming with earthworms, and my soil is becoming friable, instead of sifting through my fingers like sand on the beach.

This book has been in and out of print a few times. I lent my first copy to someone and never saw it again, was elated when the book came back in print and am now more careful with my new copy. This book is a gem, and one that I refer to again and again. I have visited the Josephine Porter Institute and Perelandra, two places mentioned in the first and last chapters, just because I had to see for myself what was going on.

Too often, just because we cannot measure something, we don't give it credibility. But guess what? The Earth wasn't flat until the day we devised the instruments to measure its roundness. And so biodynamic organics and many of the other farming methods outlined in this book have validity even without a "scientific" way to measure their efficacy. I measure by counting worms!

5.0 out of 5 stars A serious book with essential information, November 30, 2006
I must have read this book several times over. It contains an amazing overview of the unknown world under our feet!

Even though some information might seem far out there, since publication of this book many claims have been scientifically proven to be very essential to a new century in agriculture. In particular the Chapter on Sonic Bloom describes a technique that is now used all over the world.

The authors of this book where one of the first to compile and publish information on this essential subject! If the soil is neglected, the plants are, too!

Modern farming methods are in dire need to be revised for the good of long term results. This book is a must read for everyone that has a green thumb and yearning to know more about plants!

5.0 out of 5 stars Read What Others Have to Say, March 23, 1999
By A Customer
"With the environment in such a needy state, what a boon to move away from problems and hear about viable solutions. peter Tompkins and Christopher Bird go well beyond explaining how agricultural chemicals are poisoning our soil, our food and us. Spanning the globe from teh Himalayas tot he Blue Ridge Mountains, they look in on an emerging breed of farmers who, with rousing success, are kicking the chemical habit and going organic...Secrets of the Soil puts the spotlight on the benefits of traditional agriculture wherein the only chemicals used are the Earth's own." -- Ann Parson, Boston Herald

5.0 out of 5 stars A superbly detailed look at biodynamic agriculture., May 29, 1999
By A Customer
A superbly detailed look at biodynamic agriculture around the world, as it developed from the principles of Rudolf Steiner. All you ever wanted to know about Rudolf Steiner, Anthroposophy and Steiner's "Spiritual Science". Includes several wonderful appendices giving the story behind Steiner - his ideological origins in Theosophy and back to Madame Blavatsky, the nineteenth century phenomonon. Also includes detailed appendices for many of the agricultural specifics involved in making Steiner preparations for the soil. These are the wonderful writers who brought us "The Secret Life of Plants".

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, July 1, 2012
the low reviews are by people stuck in the Newtonian/Cartesian paradigm of a purely physical world. We have passed beyond the stage where purely physical solutions can solve our problems. Problems cannot be solved at the level they were created at- Einstein. This book gives a path to solving severe problems. I saw a Dept of Agriculture study on the demineralization of soils, in the US. It reads like a statement of emergency, almost. it was written in 1936. This book doesn't have it all, but it has a lot. The authors went to some trouble. I sent a copy to Tom Brown, Jr., who teaches wilderness survival. Tom loved it, and recommended it highly to his students. If you have an interest in solving problems of the soil, beyond the purely physical and extremely expensive approaches that don't work, this is a good book to start with. The real wackos are those who think that genetic engineering, and pesticides, will somehow solve problems. They will not, and are not. We need something far better.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you care., May 2, 2005
This is a must read for those interested in our globe and or agriculture. If you can get past your own intellectuality, as I see in some of the other reviews, And see the book for what it is. It is well read, informative, gives solutions of variations to what can be done to better our soil,food and earth.Despite some very depressing information about how we are handling our world,food,soil,animals and ultimately our the human mental and physical health, it gives hope, it gives the 'want' to start a change in how we treat our world. I could not put the book down, and it is now a wandering book being well recieved by friends and friends of friends.I highly recommend this book, in fact,- I say we would be a lot better off if everyone would read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars secrets of the soil, January 9, 2007
great information. very interesting. i learned a lot and can use a lot of the info myself. they sure have some crazy methods but they seem to do a wonderful job.

Secrets of the Soil : New Solutions for Restoring Our Planet
Secrets of the Soil : New Solutions for Restoring Our Planet by Christopher Bird (Paperback - Oct. 1998)
$19.95 $14.08
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.