on November 29, 2009
Verified Purchase
I had to find another SD card based DVR, since the ones from China are worthless. This one is made in Taiwan, and is better designed and engineered. It features motion detection, and records directly to an SD card. Warning: you must have an SD card installed, or this unit will not function.

The menu is in english, and has a nice variety of options. It takes a while to figure out, and the manual is useless. On the plus side, The unit stays cool and doesn't overheat. Also, it doesn't use an HDD, so it uses very little power, and should have a long life. I purchased a similar solid state unit for my dad about a decade ago, and it still works. This unit is tiny too, about the size of a deck of cards.

Setting the motion detection area is slow and cumbersome but it offers a great advantage, because you can block in the areas that you want to focus on. You can also omit areas that can give you a flase alarm such as rustling leaves, or headlights from passing cars. Think of the TV screen as a grid made up of tiny boxes. You paint in areas that you want to detect motion.

The biggest disadvantage is that the unit only saves to .asf files. I would prefer to save to .jpg files, because computers will be able to view that format for the life of this unit.

After purchasing a DVR made in China, I can definitely say that his unit is far superior. The difference in quality is obvious. This one is well worth the investment.
on July 7, 2014
Verified Purchase
These mini-DVR's are great for motion detect recording and video review. There are two models - an older one with MPEG4-SP video compression and .asf formatted files and a newer one with H.264 video compression and .avi formatted files. When ordering make sure you get the one you want as they only work with others of their kind. (The item title and description said I was ordering the MPEG4-SP model but I received H.264 models the last two times I ordered them. This worked for me but the item should be described accurately). We like doing the video review on the MPEG4-SP model better than on the H.264 model but we like the higher frame size and frame rate, pre-record, and .avi file format on the H.264 model. The best thing about these mini-DVR's is that they work!
on September 3, 2012
Verified Purchase
Well it worked very well for 2 months. At first it was a dream come true bang for the buck! Akward to navigate the menus and such but it did what it said. Then one day it keeps telling me the SD card is full or corupt. I tried different memory cards, different brands...no luck. I tried factory resetting the unit...nope. The same memeory cards that will not work in the unit work fine in my Nikon camera.

I dropped back and punted and got a Q-SEE DVR...money well spent and I can monitor the camera feeds from my iphone or any PC in the world.

Good luck with your unit.

Atrains (NJ)
on July 16, 2012
on regular energizer 2 aa batteries can last 2.5-3 hours of rec time
plenty of options, can over record if not enough space, scheduling recording, motion activ and more
can run from battery or by charger,
very easy to understand the usage.
can be connected to the tv or to the computer (through "easy-cap" - purchase separately)
not cheap made, not overheating, not too long to load, makes videos between 15-20 min max can be set shorter,
like it a lot!!!