5,247 Reviews
 (4,187)

5.0 out of 5 stars Try it! You'll be glad you did.
Published 22 months ago by mzablot74

3.0 out of 5 stars Attractive but needs a little work on the feature set
The overall design is very attractive. In fact it is by far the sexiest router that I've laid eyes on. However I have encountered a few bugs and concerns that should be able to be resolved with a firmware update. Mine is running software version: AL1-R181-L183-W22, and when I check for updates it says I am using the latest version.

1) When changing wireless...
Published 21 months ago by J. Welch

5.0 out of 5 stars Try it! You'll be glad you did., September 8, 2012
This review is from: Securifi Almond - (3 Minute Setup) Touchscreen Wireless Router / Range Extender (Personal Computers)
I have been researching extensively on how to get a better wireless signal through out my house. The router is a DLink DRR-655 and it works well. The problem is that it must be located in the office which on the 2nd floor - SW corner of the house. Our iPad can not sustain a signal on the 1st floor in different areas and the Wii can not get a good signal in the basement. I came across the idea of using a wireless range-extender. This one had good reviews on Amazon, so I gave it a shot.

The packaging was fine and the item arrived 5 days prior to the estimated delivery date; so far, so good!!

The other reviews explained how easily the range-extender could be configured and I agree. The unit is so simple to set up it doesn't come with any kind of instruction manual. Instructions start as soon as the device is powered on. It detects your current wireless signal, asks for your password, walks through a couple of quick steps and it's working!! I've got a 3 bar signal on the iPad and the Wii is working great.

The only very minor drawback is that it creates a 2nd wireless network which requires you to find it and select it. Not that big of a deal, but it does create an added step. So your device will pick up both your signal from the wireless router (i.e. "Network Name") and the signal from the Almond (i.e. "Network Name - Almond"). So just understand that you'll need to select the Almond's signal on your device where needed instead of the primary wireless signal.

Overall, A+ for ease of set-up and hearty, strong signal where I need it. The device is very compact. We have it placed on top of our hutch in the formal dining room and you can not even see it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A++++++++, September 15, 2012
Replaced a Dlink Extreme DR655 due to intermittent connection.
The Almond eliminates high blood pressure associated with installing a new router.
All their marketing is true.
Furthermore, the manufacturer has called me twice and emailed me once to ensure I am happy with the unit. It's like I bought the router at Nordstrom!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing but positive user experience. Thumbs up, way UP!, March 6, 2013
I've been an electronic consumer for decades and for the very first time, I have to say Securifi has truly impressed me with NOT just their product, but their superior customer support quality. I ordered the Almond as a range extender and it arrived the next day, directly shipped from Securifi. As far as user manual, guess what? You won't need it, since it's so easy to setup from the touch screen user interface. Who really enjoys reading manual anyway? Maybe some of you do but I don't.

Product setup: I had it up and running within 5 minutes (could be less but it went too fast so I lost count). It connected flawlessly to my Apple Extreme router without issue. I quickly tapped into the Firmware update menu, and see if I need to do any updates. As of today (3/6/2013), the firmware has already been updated to the latest at the time they shipped it. Awesome! The range is very good. I would give it a 8 out of 10 as it doesn't have an external antenna, but it will probably spoil the elegant design of its simplistic look. That part is totally forgivable.

Customer support: This is really worth buying the product alone as you don't see this kind of service everyday these days.
When I setup the Almond, I noticed that the _Almond was attached to the SSID of my router. I don't want that to be attached since I hate to toggle between the Router's and the Almond's SSID manually. I basically want my connection seamless. I'm too embarrassed to mention of what I have overlooked, but I couldn't find the way to make the SSIDs identical. I called Securifi's tech support but I hung up while I had another incoming call. About 5 minutes later, I got a call from Securifi, I thought, that was strange as I didn't leave any voice mail to them, but they called me anyway. The female lady I spoke to, spoke perfect American English, which I had absolutely NO problem understanding, introduced herself professionally, and walked me through the setup process patiently. Guess what? Within two minutes (this time, I did count), the annoying _Almond SSID is gone! She did resolved my issues effectively.

I praise Securifi for two things, Outstanding product with a beautiful and elegant design, and a top-notch, out-of-this world customer support. What more can you ask for? They will come up with a newer product, which will be released around September. For sure I will buy from them again.

Hope this helps you to make your purchasing decision. Please rate and comment if you have a few minutes. This lets me know that it's worth my time and efforts writing this sort of review. Cheers.

James

+++++++++++++++++++++++ Follow up review - after 20 days of deployment 3/26/2013 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Observations:

1. Unit is still working great with no hiccups. The only time I have to restart the unit, is when I had to adjust the wireless channel. Almond didn't seem to pick it up automatically but self-fixed after the reboot

2. When the unit was situated right next to my aquarium (17 gallons), the signal was weakened, but everything back to normal when I re-situated it to a different spot. It appears that the water volume has affected the Almond adversely.

3. The time-out settings tweak: If I put 1000 seconds on the time-out setting, the LCD appeared to be lit all the time and doesn't go dark anymore. This might be helpful if you want to "show off" your Almond screen. :-)

4. Weather (temperature) does NOT refresh automatically until you hit the "REFRESH" button.

Conclusion: Definitely no major flaw at all and I'm still a happy camper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will add about 300 feet to your wifi signal. Great!, November 15, 2012
roaeja "Hey you!" (Nowhere, United States) - See all my reviews
If you are looking to extend your wifi signal about 100-150 feet, then this might help you. You locate this 100-150 feet away. Plug it into any AC outlet, near the area where you are getting a weak signal from your wireless router. It will capture your wifi signal and rebroadcast it, another 100-150 feet, for a total of around 300 ft. Not to bad.

So, if your current wifi signal doesn't reach that far, this will fill the bill. Set up is a breeze, it will find your wifi router and all you have to do, is enter the password for it. It might be good to plug it in somewhere outside, if you have a wireless camera or want to use a Kindle or iPad device outside away from your main wireless router, plug this baby in to prevent drop outs. And the customer service is outstanding, eager to help you set it up and make you happy.

For the peace of mind, ease of set up and cheap price, it's a good deal.

3.0 out of 5 stars Attractive but needs a little work on the feature set, October 11, 2012
J. Welch (San Angelo, TX) - See all my reviews

1) When changing wireless channels > Apply > Home > go back to Wireless and it defaults back to Autoselect.
2) Unable to change the guest password. If you change it then it defaults to no password and is unsecure.
3) Guest subnet is the same as the main "private" subnet. It needs to be different in order to prevent access to the private lan.
4) Web gui becomes unresponsive after modifying certain settings. You must power cycle the unit in order to access the gui again.
5) The first DNS is a Taiwan IP (168.95.1.1). I don't recall ever seeing any preset addresses in a router before.
6) SPI firewall was disabled by default.

I have tried using both IE9 & Firefox 15.0.1 on Win 7 Ult x64. Other settings can be changed and are retained, so I cannot see this as a browser bug. There may be other bugs that I have not uncovered. The good news is that once I emailed support@securifi.com I received a response in less than 15 min.

---

Hi J

Sorry for the trouble and Thank you for bringing these to our attention.

Please try the attached firmware and you should be able to set the channel from the LCD's Wireless section. The channel setting from the Web UI is still buggy. We recently became aware of the Guest network issues also and we are working on them now. We will let you know once a fix is available.

Ram

++++++++++++++++++
Rammohan Malasani
Founder & CEO
Securifi

---

* EDIT 5/10/2014 *

Please note the date of my original review, so it is possible that Securifi was able to fix the items I listed above.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better in AP mode than as a range extender, May 22, 2013
I originally got this to use as a range extender to improve the wifi signal in the upstairs bedrooms of our house, which are about 50' from our wireless router downstairs (D-Link DIR-655).

Setup was easy and the Almond had no problems identifying & connecting to our existing wifi. It creates a second SSID using the name of the original, but with '_almond' added.

I knew there was going to be speed degradation going through a range extender (repeater), but it was quite a bit more than I was expecting. I've compared speed tests below. The numbers varied a bit between devices tested (iPhone, Transformer Prime Android Tablet, Surface Pro, Samsung Galaxy Nexus & Asus Laptop), but were relatively consistent overall. Tests were run from an upstairs bedroom, which is also where the almond is placed.

Range Extender Mode
====================

Connected to home router:

- Weak Wifi Signal (about 1 bar)
- Speedtest.net: 19 Mbps Down / 1.5 Mbps Up

Connected to Almond:

- Strong Wifi Signal (full bars)
- Speedtest.net: 4 Mbps down / .8 Mbps Up

I knew speeds would drop going through a repeater, but wasn't expecting that much of a difference.

Luckily, the bedroom also has a network switch for hard wired connections, so I decided to see how well the Almond would work when put in 'Access Point' mode. To do this, all I did was connect an ethernet cable from the WAN port on the almond to one of the available ports on the network switch. After that, it was simply a matter of tapping the 'Access Point' option and following the setup steps. It kept the same SSID and password that was used when it was in range extender mode, so I didn't have to enter those details again.

After everything was set up and I connected to the Almond SSID, I ran another speed test with the following results: 32 Mbps down / 1.5 Mbps Up

That's a HUGE difference and only slightly less than if I'm downstairs and connected over wifi to our wireless router (which is usually around 40 Mbps Down and 2 Mbps Up if I'm in the same room).

So to summarize one more time the difference in speeds on the Almond in Extender vs Access Point modes:

Range Extender Mode:
4 Mbps down / .8 Mbps Up

Access Point Mode:
32 Mbps down / 1.5 Mbps Up

If you have a network drop in the area you'll be placing the Almond (or can conveniently run a cable there from your router or a switch), I highly recommend using Access Point mode over Range Extender mode. The latter still works, but you might end up being disappointed by real life speeds depending on your broadband connection. I used to have the 100 MB service through Charter, but downgraded to 30MB plan when they decided higher tier customers had to pay a two-hundred dollar surcharge to be on the 100MB plan (which angered me because I'd already been on that plan for two years when they adopted the surcharge policy). I don't think I would have actually noticed the speed drop on the Almond in repeater mode if I still had the 100MB service...but it was definitely noticeable with what I have now (and I have no idea why speed tests consistently show me getting 40 Mbps Down when I'm only on a 30 MB plan now).

Anyways, despite range extender mode not being as efficient as I'd hoped it would be, I'm still really happy with the Almond since the end-result (Access Point Mode) ended up being better than what I was expecting. If I needed to place this in an area where the only option was to use it as a range extender, I would have been more disappointed and probably given it 3 stars because of how much slower the speeds are. It's normal (and should be expected) to get slower speeds through a repeater, but not as much as what I was experiencing.

However, your results may be completely different depending on broadband service, router location and home construction....so if you can only do range extender mode, I'd still recommend giving the Almond a try if the negative reviews are worrying you. It can always be returned if performance is less than you need.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brief owner's manual would be a good thing., April 28, 2013
Michael R. Smith (New London, North Carolina United States) - See all my reviews
There are many fine reviews here about the Almond Touch Screen Wireless N Router + Range Extender (Almond) by folks far more tech-savvy than I will ever desire to be. One reviewer pointed out Almond's excellent customer service and from my recent experience with Almond Securifi, I certainly agree. Other reviewers noted that the Almond is so user-friendly that it does not come with or require an owner's manual of any sort. On that point, I would disagree a little bit. Three examples, when Almond is used as a range extender:

(a) Almond creates a separate network. A brief owner's manual statement should inform the user of that fact and that, to change it, touch the "Wireless" icon on Almond's LCD touch-screen, then tap the SSID field, and rename the Almond network or simply remove the "_Almond" notation at the end of the separate Almond network. For example, in my case, the separate Almond network was the same as my existing network with "_Almond" appended. Deleting the "_Almond" left me with only MY network - which is what I wanted.

(b) The LCD touch-screen goes dark after about 17 minutes. The user might be informed of that, otherwise, he or she may think as I did that the screen will stay illuminated as it is, out of the box. A brief manual should tell you that and that, to change it, touch "Screen Settings" on the LCD touch-screen, then touch the "More" option.

(c) Almond does not have to be plugged into an electrical outlet when not being used because unplugging it does not result in your settings being lost. A brief owner's manual statement should tell you that.

Almond is, in fact, highly user-friendly, no doubt about that. That's the whole idea. But a few words could alleviate confusion and that should be the whole ideal.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wait for the Almond Plus to arrive!, October 6, 2013
Did not work for me at all. Customer service and I spent well over an hour trying to configure the unit. My house, like most, has rooms with walls and doors. The Almond signal could go through neither. The extremely nice online tech suggested I get an Almond Plus instead. It will be available early in 2014.

UPDATE:Oct 8, 2013 1:59:15 PM PDT Since I posted this review, Securifi Almond has called me twice asking me to remove my 1 star review. Is that the reason there are so few negative comments posted? Reviewers remove them from fear of further harassment? As I explained to the Securifi Almond rep who called: Amazon requested an honest review of my personal experience with the product and that is what I provided. I will not remove the review and I will not buy an Almond Plus!

Your post: Oct 8, 2013 2:35:29 PM PDT
Donna says:
OMG! They just called me AGAIN after I posted my update!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what they say it does and looks good, September 10, 2012
Purchased this after seeing product highlighted in Mens Journal magazine, which intigued me to look into it further. Then checked out product information and YouTube review and took the plunge as I needed a range extender more than a wifi router at the present time (I live in a 3700 square foot house and was having trouble getting connection to wifi at other end of house for streaming purposes). Product arrived via quick delivery, opened it same day, and set it up in matter of a few minutes via the simple to follow touch screen. Very attractive and very intuitive. Worked great right our of the box with minimal set-up stress. I highly recommend this for a home wifi set-up if you need a range extender, as I did. Do not know how well it works as a router but it appears to also be an easy touch screen set-up. Probably great for small house or apartment wifi system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, Even For A Non-Techie!, September 28, 2012
Ruth E Shaw (Belfast, ME United States) - See all my reviews
The Securifi Almond arrived quickly and was such a pleasure to set up - I had tried two other products and simply could not get them to work. When I plugged in the Securifi, locating it about half-way between the WiFi and my computer in my house, the first screen (after "Almond," which must be the manufacturer, or perhaps a pet name) came on showing an easy to understand selection of icons from which to select my intended useage for the Securifi. One touch on the Range Extender icon (with the included stylus - nice touch, Thanks!) and the Securifi found the WiFi. All I had to do then was select the WiFi, and enter the password. What could be simpler! Kudos to a great designer and engineer! The unit is a small, nice looking black box, very high-tech and mysterious looking, plugs in with a transformer, and sits unobtrusively on a little bookshelf, working wonders for my home computer (and cell phone) set up. I now consistently have strong WiFi reception at my computer; before integrating the Securifi Almond Range Extender into my computer set up, my reception was weak and flickering. I love it, and would recommend it to anyone!!

Rate and Discover Movies