4.0 out of 5 stars Works great in Snow
Published on January 20, 2009 by Emmanuel Ruvalcaba

3.0 out of 5 stars It takes work but it does the job
Published on February 2, 2010 by H. Ho

3.0 out of 5 stars It takes work but it does the job, February 2, 2010
This review is from: Security Chain Company SC1032 Radial Chain Cable Traction Tire Chain - Set of 2 (Automotive)
For the price that these were going for, I should really give it 4 stars, but its about the product and not the price. These chains will work well enough for a decent amount of snow and has never steered me wrong. They take some effort putting them on and taking them off. They are safe on your tires and I've never had a problem with them rubbing and they are still lasting after two trips to the snow (yeah, it hasn't been that many times) But for 24$ a set, using them twice already paid for itself.

I do want to make a suggestion though. Put them on at home. Figure out how many links it takes to secure the inner part of the chains to have it seat properly. Once you know this, when you install them in the snow, just hook up the inner side of the chains the same amount of links. Drive forward a little and link the outside. If you've done it properly, your chains should be tight enough without having to constantly check if they need to be tightened.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great in Snow, January 20, 2009
So I got some of these from the local Napa, They were great. Paid 2x what Amazon charges. They are amazing in snow. I drive a low provile BMW 3 series. It cannot handle 3 inches of snow on my street tires. With these chains I was pushing thru ice and 8 inches of snow like it was the race track. Only problem I had with them is even stay under 30mph on bare road, they wore out rather quickly. I need these to get in and out of the side streets I live on, but the main roads are generally clear. They did last about 5 weeks of daily use, then they pretty much fell apart. After you lose 1 link, you might as well junk em, as the rest will go rather shortly. I'm buying my second set now. At this price I'll buy em every 5 weeks if I have to. (BTW i'm a Cali boy, and i got moved to Eire, PA so you can an idea of my problem)

Update Jan 2012:
As I mentioned before, at this low cost, the chains were a pretty good option. At 5 weeks they took on about 500 miles or so before wearing out. Because of the low ride height and upgraded 17" rims, snow tires are way more expensive than what I could afford. This year I did end up getting real snow tires thru the military exchange on credit, but i paid $800 plus $80 to have them installed. While the snow tires handle great, the chains are an amazing option for anyone on a tight budget. I also found that if you make sure to tighten the chains very tight, they don't wear out as fast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Did not disappoint me., December 21, 2010
Nadar (Sunnyvale, CA) - See all my reviews
Used for Honda Civic 4dr 2008 LX

We had planned our trip to South Lake Tahoe in December, so we were pretty sure that we will need a tire chain for my Honda Civic.

It was not easy to find a tire chain model for my car first, then I realised that I had to look up using the tire dimension.

I also read the can manual and the book suggested a model that I could not find anywhere. Luckly I found a pdf document at Honda that suggested to use SC1030 for Honda Civic 2008 LX.

I ordered and practised it once before starting my trip. The first trial was very easy, It took me like 3 min (or less than that) to put it on one tire.

During the real usage, when I had to put on the tire chains while it was raining (cold rain) and at night. Things was not too easy and I had forgot to take a torch light with me. It took me a bit longer than usual but it was not too difficult. Just follow the instructions as per the video from the manufacturer.

I put 2 notch on the inside and 3 notch on the outside. Someone adviced me that it is better to have one notch higher on the outside so that the chain does not slip over and go inside and get tangled with the axle. But when the chain was new, I could only manage one notch on both sides, and believe me this is too short... if you drive a little bit the chains will be become ultra loose and it will easily slip. So drive a little bit like 50 feet slowly and then adjust it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Buy!, December 22, 2008
These have been a life saver here in Oregon. We just had the worst snow storm in 40 years. All local stores are sold out or raising their prices because of the weather. I had these over-nighted to me and I couldn't be happier. They are reasonably easy to get on and they stay in place.I've been using them in very deep snow & ice for about 4 days and have had no problems at all. Great price and an excellent buy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic chains, but gets the job done., April 6, 2011
J. Wang (Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
I bought these chains in preparation for my trip to Lake Tahoe. It snowed all week prior and even during our stay there, and the chains worked just fine on my Nissan Altima.

My only complaint is that the chains were hard to get tight. I'll admit this is my first time putting chains on my car. I did a trial run before my trip and put them on in a parking lot in front of my apartment. The concept seemed simple enough and indeed it was easy to put them off and take them off according to the video and paper instructions. Once I was on the mountain and pulled over in the chain control area, I did exactly the same thing as I had practiced. Got them on in a few minutes and then got back in my car. When I stepped on the gas, my tires seemed to spin for a bit until my car actually got moving. I thought this might have been normal since it was my first time. But it was stop and go traffic all the way until the actual officer checked each car, and each time I stopped and started again my tires would slip. It just didn't feel right. I asked the officer if my chains were on properly. He gave them a tug and said they were still too lose and I had to pull over to tighten them. THIS was the hard part. In my practice I had managed to get 2 bushings through the hole, and it took me a good 15 minutes on the side of the road to wrestle around and get that third bushing through to tighten everything up. Once I managed to figure out the trick, it wasn't that difficult though.

My recommendation is that these are good for basic chains, but can be tricky to put on or take off for non-experienced people. For putting them on make sure you get the inside of the tire tight (really tight) first, before you do the outside of the tire. For taking them off, make sure your tire is not resting on top of any of the cables, or else you won't be able to pull to get enough slack to loosen the bushings out of the slot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product for the price, January 18, 2009
md55 "md55" (Nevada City,CA) - See all my reviews
If you just need chain for occasional use its hard to beat these for the money. It I needed chain often I'd consider Security Chains professional Z chains for their ease of installation and traction.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy these at your own risk!!!, September 9, 2012
Broke only after one use. Traction was below average. Left me stranded in the mountains overnight. I'd recommend paying the extra money and buying either Thule or Konig.

4.0 out of 5 stars great value and great product, March 13, 2009
gives great traction with a minimum of rumble lifesaver in the snow. when u use this be sure to retighten it after a couple of minutes of use

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerously slippery, April 12, 2010
I have driven in the snowy mountains for over 20 years and this is the worst traction product I have ever owned. I used it once and will be returning it or just throwing it in the trash. I suppose that they will work on level ground, but they do not work on hills. I was required to put them on in a plowed turnout that was basically bare pavement. My bare tires weren't slipping at all, but after putting the cables on I could barely get moving. They slide on the road like crazy! Every incline I found myself spinning the entire time just trying to keep the car moving forward (if you are unfamiliar with driving in the snow, this should only happen occasionally). As soon as we got to a hill that actually had any real snow on it, we got stuck right away and had to call for help. I've used many products and the only other one that was this slick was the SCC Z-Grip product. Both have the same coils around the cables for traction and they are very slick. I almost got stuck on a section on the road where the snow had melted and left a wet paved hill because the cables were so slippery. IF YOU HAVE THE CLEARANCE, GET REAL CHAINS. THESE ARE DANGEROUS.

If you don't want real chains because of the rough ride, just get some with a diamond pattern and they will probably ride smoother than these and get you through just about anything. One of the best products I've tried, which is easier to install than cables and gives you more than double the traction, is the Peerless Auto-Trac Tire Chains (Peerless 0231905 Auto-Trac Light Truck/SUV Tire Chain). When looking at the Peerless chains, you will notice that all but one reviewer has given them a 4 or 5 star rating. This is how it should be for something that is used to keep your family safe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, cheap chains, May 29, 2013
dachkl (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
These are not the best chains you can buy. But they are about the cheapest you can buy.

I used these in Yosemite to get the ol' Prius out of an icy, snowy mess in the park. They were fairly straightforward to attach (even for this first time chain user), but please wear gloves.

The came off really easily after we were through the ice.

Great purchase. If I hadn't of had these in my car, I would still be snuck in the snow.