4.0 out of 5 stars New paranormal-futuristic series starts on a B note
Published on February 16, 2011 by Countess Chocula

I thought Seduce Me in Dreams was pretty good, and even though Franks takes her paranormal romance act to a sci-fi setting this time, Seduce Me in Dreams very much fits her formula which means that Seduce Me in Dreams falls a bit more on the steamy side of the steam vs story balance.

Published on February 21, 2011 by melindeeloo

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars - A bit slow in the setup but an intriguing cast will have me checking out the next one, February 21, 2011
This review is from: Seduce Me in Dreams: A Three Worlds Novel (Mass Market Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Seduce Me in Dreams kicks off with an attention grabbing opening as our alpha male hero Commander Bronse Chapel piggy-backs a critically wounded special forces team member out of hostile territory on a dessert planet. The next few chapters bog down as we are brought up to speed with our hero's history, get up close and personal with several members of his team, and are introduced to our petite yet powerful heroine Ravenna who visits our hero in his dreams long before they meet in the flesh. I would have been happier if I'd gotten the in-depth bios a little later in the story once I was a bit more invested in the characters - since there were a lot of good characters among Chapel's team and Ravenna's little family of psychics.

But once the story got going, I found that I really liked Bronse despite being conflicted at times about the way that Ravenna causes him to loose his center and his focus, and how after a big speech to Ravenna about how he has been taught to cherish woman before they 'join' for the first time, he is no where as considerate during their second encounter. I didn't connect as well with Ravenna, she is so busy being strong all the time that I thought she was a little flat, but I am hugely hero-centric so that wasn't a deal breaker for me.

Speaking of hero material, I really loved Bronse's second in command Lasher and he is clearly positioned to take the lead when the series continues with Seduce Me in Flames. And with a great deal of the series setup out of the way, I am actually looking forward to seeing where Franks takes Lasher and Bronse's new and expanded team next time round.

4.0 out of 5 stars New paranormal-futuristic series starts on a B note, February 16, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Bronse is the head of a unit that's the best of the best of the Interplanetary Militia's first response teams - they get sent into situations where no one else can get results. He's been having fleeting dreams warning him that he's in danger, dreams that seem to have proven correct since he's carting his new communications officer who's been critically injured, across miles of black sand to their waiting ship, from a mission the two were on that went completely, inexplicably wrong. When they rejoin his team, his odd behavior draws their attention and he confesses to his second-in-command, Lasher, that he's had a gut feeling that he's going to die on a mission and asks him to warn the team to be on alert. Later, he has his first real dream where he sees the beautiful woman who's been warning him.

Ravenna is the leader of the Chosen Ones, a group of young people with special gifts who live in a temple and were protected and worked for the people of their village as healers, telepaths and more. Ravenna and her brother Kith were sold by the villagers to a vicious warlord as an offering to their god - Ravenna is a precognitive, among other things, and she's foreseen danger to Bronse, as well as his role in her rescue. She's been trying to warn him, but didn't know she'd be able to appear to him and was as shocked as he was to find herself standing in front of him in his dream.

It isn't long afterwards that Bronse and his crew find out that they've been betrayed from within the IM and Ravenna's warning becomes clearer - Bronse must not be separated from his team. She's also desperate for him to fulfill the second part of her vision and rescue her because now she's being tortured for her captor's amusement.

Ravenna's precog abilities aren't in doubt. Bronse rescues her and there's a skirmish where her warning serves him well. His attraction to her from his dreams and her fascination with him explode when they finally meet in the flesh. It was bothersome to me that this cool under pressure, military-to-the-bone man would lose control of himself the way Bronse kept doing when he was with Ravenna. On the other side, Ravenna's a generally clear-thinking woman, forced to be the leader of the Chosen Ones and to do what's best for them. Even when she was working out a way to be with Bronse - and he was being a horse's rear about it - she was thinking of them too.

There was less time devoted to world-building here than I'd expected. Some space was given to explaining the three-planet system, the basics of the IM and a little bit of those peeyoo, peeyoo weapons. Each team member got a little bit of background, the most being Masin "Lasher" Morse, Bronse's second-in-command. The Chosen Ones also were profiled a bit, although the powers of a few were left unsaid. Ravenna's sixteen year-old sister Ophelia, the healer, has already formed an attachment to Lasher and unless her book is way, way off in the distance, his won't be anytime soon either I think.

This started as a lot of new series do - not necessarily with a bang and not with a whimper - but still on the loud end of things. I liked the setup of Frank's world here and I like the characters she's put in it. Bronse and Ravenna's story may not have completely captivated me, but it interested me enough that I'll be likely to pick up the second book in spite of my aversion to futuristic romances. This ended on a little cliffhanger, small enough that it won't be irritating to anyone not interested in reading more but will be a nice teaser to someone who is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sexy SF, July 7, 2011
H. Miller (Pittsburgh, PA USA) - See all my reviews
I had not read Jacquelyn Frank before picking up SEDUCE ME IN DREAMS, but I'm always on the look out for a new SF Romance read. This one didn't disappoint. Bronse is a sexy and powerful leading man, even if he does say goofy things like "By the Great Being!" Ravenna is a nice complement to him, though I didn't feel as close to her character as Bronse's--not sure if the constant head-hopping wouldn't allow me to get into her POV or if when I finally could get into it, I was yanked into another character's head. The head-hopping was my biggest concern with the book (and the interchangeable use of first and last name and call sign), but it wasn't enough to keep me from reading it in a couple of days.

Franks' world and characters prompted the five star rating from me. The sex was great, too. Lasher may have been my favorite character, so I hope we'll get to see a book mainly about him later. In fact, I haven't been as excited about an upcoming release as I am about SEDUCE ME IN FLAMES, her next installment in the Three Worlds universe.

Since reading DREAMS, I've started on Franks' Nightwalker series, reigniting my interest in paranormal romance, but I'm still waiting patiently for FLAMES.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book wrapped in a shame covered in a pity., June 1, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It is said that you cannot judge a book by its cover. It is also said that the first bite is with the eye and clothes maketh the man. Which cliché applies here is open for debate but one thing is clear: the tragedy of this book is that many will be put off by the cover.

It is stereotypical "bad paranormal romance". It screams "I am reading badly-written sex scenes surrounded by absolutely no plot". It is completely unrelated to the pages within. Who is it supposed to be? It can't be Bronse--he has chest hair and a torso crisscrossed with scars, whereas the ripply dude on the cover looks like he's just finished his community service period working as the test model at the International School of Waxing, and seems more likely to wangst about scars to his sensitive soul than to his pristine flesh. And the less said about that tattoo the better.

But brave the cover (and that title) and you'll find a really good book lurking beneath.

Bronse Chapel is the commander of the First Active squad of the ETF, a sci-fi special forces unit--sort of a space SAS--who are the best of the best. Given all of the dirty tasks, the jobs nobody thinks are possible, the First Active lives and works by the motto "no fear/no fail/no fatality", and Bronse is the cool, clear-headed, hewn-from-granite leader, the epitome of the elite soldier.

Or he was until she turned up.

Bronse is having disturbing dreams about Ravenna, a sensual, seductive woman with a disturbing message: Bronse is in mortal danger. His death is imminent and if he allows himself to be separated from his team he will die. What follows is an entertaining story, mixing action and drama, with treachery, deceit, and tension aplenty. There's science fiction without too much nerdiness, military action without too much boring detail, and sex. Yes, there's sex, but it never overwhelms the plot, never takes the place of decent writing as in some examples of this genre.

So don't judge a book by its cover. Buy one of those paperback covers and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Edgy and exciting new series!, March 30, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I just finished reading Seduce Me In Dreams by the talented Jacquelyn Frank and found this first book of her new "Three Worlds" series to be fascinating and downright edge of your seat exciting. The world building was done in such a way that wasn't overwhelming or confusing, the characters neatly portrayed, the action incredibly written to pull the reader in and biting nails....the sensuality was top of the charts hot. Commander Bronse Chapel as leader of the best of the best team of military soldiers and Ravenna the Chosen's High Priestess on the planet Ebbany will capture your heart as they battle all obstacles to find safety and love. Great storyline by a very very gifted author. Highly recommend this space novel to all fans of fantasy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, March 24, 2011
Based on the other reviews, I wasn't sure if I would like this or not, but being a huge fan of Ms. Frank's other books, I of course gave it a try, and was happy to find it an entertaining read. I will say that I wish I could give it 4 1/2 stars, because it did tend to bog down in the details sometimes, but I understand that she is setting up this world for the following books in this series. I am looking forward to reading the next one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good, September 22, 2011
I won "Seduce Me In Dreams" through a contest and was so excited just to have won anything. I was even more excited when I got it and Jacquelyn had signed it for me. I am a big fan of her books but this one just didn't do it for me. It was not her best in my opinion. Jacquelyn does a good job of giving Bronse a believable back story to support his behavior towards love, but throughout the book I didn't make a connection to him at all. After the first few chapters, I was introduced to Ravenna who connects with Bronse through his dreams seeking his rescue and foretelling him of dangers. I was shocked by the brutality Ravenna had endured but because the character showed such strength I didn't feel her pain. It's predictable these two will end up together but there was a lack of chemistry between the two that I usually feel in Jacquelyn's characters. I kept waiting for my heart to beat faster during the love scenes or my eyes to water at their plights but.. nothing. Ravenna shows a surprising ability that all but costs her life, but Bronse's love saves her. In the end all I felt was the book between my hands. I don't see myself crossing off the days of the calendar waiting for the nest book to release. It was something to read, made slightly good because it was free but not one I will be raving about. All in all I give it a 2/5 being I didn't have to force myself to read it but I didn't care for it and wouldn't recomend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Walmart Buy, June 8, 2011
I bought this one at Walmart when I was just browsing the whole store. I was out of new books to read so I just grabbed this one. To be honest with you, I wasnt all that impressed. Ive read worse but it did hit me the way Blackdagger Brotherhood or The Dark Hunter series hit me. I found it lacking a bit but I'm not 100% sure on what I would of done differently.

3.0 out of 5 stars Seduce Me In Dreams by Jacquelyn Frank, April 15, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was between books and wanted something that still had paranormal or fantasy elements in it, but not vamps or were-wolves. Sometimes I just need a break from them, ya know? So, when I saw this book was in the sci-fi catagory and still had romance elements in it, I immediately wanted to read it.

Before I read books, I always read a couple reviews just to get a feel for what to expect. I don't read spoilers, but I have a couple of blogs I always check to see if they have read it and see what they thought. The summary is just not enough to get me interested in books all the time, I like to know what my fellow readers think. Many of the reviews I read on this book talked about the slow start and confusion in the first couple of chapters. I did not feel that way at all. I thought the beginning of the book was actually the opposite, it started with a bang and then had a couple of slow pockets here and there as the story progressed. As for the confusion, if you read sci-fi then you are probably used to getting names of strange places and people thrown at you and this book is no different. As someone who reads a lot of sci-fi/paranormal/fantasy, I did not have any problems with all the information introduced in the first couple of chapters and keeping it all straight. I actually liked learning about a world I have never explored before, it kept me interested.

The secondary characters really took the book up a notch. Many times in books you get a great feel for the two main characters, but the supporting cast can sometimes be neglected. In Seduce Me in Dreams, Jacquelyn gives you insight into multiple characters lives and it adds depth to the already intricate world she has created. Some of the characters did stay in the background a little, but you are given enough information about them to get a good feel for their personalities and want to see more of them in the future. Bronse leads his crew and Ravenna is the support system for the Chosen Ones so as a reader it is important to know what kind of people stand behind both of them.

The only downside to this book was the ending. I know that everything is not going to be resolved at the end since this book is part of a series, but I am used to having the main issues resolved. While most of them were, there were a couple of very open-ended story lines that I was not happy with. I cannot say to much without getting spoilery so I will stop there. I am hoping that Jacquelyn has left some of these questions to tease us and will answer them in future books. Overall, the ending just fell a little short and was somewhat anti-climatic. I was expecting a little more after such a big build up and was left a little disappointed. I would not let this discourage you from reading the book though because it is still a great read, just be ready to have questions at the end.

Seduce Me in Dreams has a great cast of characters that you can't help but get attached to. The world Jacquelyn has created is fascinating and has left me wanting more from it. I am excited for the next book in the series that comes out later this year called Seduce Me in Flames. I have not read any of Jacquelyn's book before, but I really enjoyed her writing style in this book and I will definitely be checking out her other books out now.

4.0 out of 5 stars This book is easy to read and futuristic fans and fantasy fans will enjoy it. But a bit formulaic, February 15, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Jacquelyn Frank's new futuristic Three World's series starts out quickly and introduces us to a top secret and elite team which is part of the ETF- Extreme Tactics Force. It is headed by the forceful and super determined Commander Bronse Chapel.

This story begins with Bronse fleeing from a successful mission but his teammate has been severely wounded. This bothers Bronse. He has an inexplicable feeling that his team is in danger and one of his trusted members will die as a result. Because of this he is extra alert and tense. In addition, he is also having disturbing dreams that make him tired an more on edge. But what Bronse doesn't realize is that a woman with magical powers to see the future is sending him messages while he sleeps. She knows Bronse and his team are in peril.

Ravenna is one of the Chosen. The Chosen are usually cherished for their magical abilities but when her village is threatened, the inhabitants give her and her brother up as offering. They believe their village will be saved it they sacrifice them. While in captivity, Ravenna dreams of a strong warrior who will save her, but he is in danger, too. Can she warn him in time or will her brutal capturers kill her first?

I really liked the concept of an elite team in the future. This book is easy to read and futuristic fans and fantasy fans will enjoy it. The beginning of the book starts our action packed then slows down to introduce all the characters -which felt a bit formulaic. This was because the areas the author spends some time explaining all the characters and setting up the Chosen that it was a little stilted and prevented me from enjoying the story as much. Ravenna and Bronse are worthy characters but for some reason I didn't get as invested in them as much as Ravenna's healer sister Ophelia and the stoic second in command Masin.

Overall, I liked this book but not as much as some of the author's previous books. I think this is mainly because it is the first book and the author is world building etc. I liked it enough that I will buy the next book in the series. And since the author has already set the stage for intriguing characters such as Ophelia I think the following books will be better and more in depth.

Seduce Me in Dreams: A Three Worlds Novel
Seduce Me in Dreams: A Three Worlds Novel by Jacquelyn Frank (Mass Market Paperback - March 22, 2011)
$7.99