5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly good!
Published on October 31, 2012 by Ramblings From This Chick Blog

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, juvenile, ughhhh
Published 11 months ago by Rebecca Sedlak

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, juvenile, ughhhh, December 14, 2013
This review is from: Seducing Mr. Knightly (Writing Girls Book 4) (Kindle Edition)
Annabelle Swift is the advice columnist (a la "Dear Abbey" in the modern world) for The London Weekly, and though she dishes out advice to her loyal readers each week, she finds she must ask for their help in helping to catch the eye of the man she's fallen for, Derek Knightly -- the editor and owner of the very paper she works for. A cute premise that should have offered a witty, smart Regency-era romance. Instead, it was juvenile, boring and had absolutely no depth whatsoever.

Since the setting is in a newspaper office and the ballroom, this novel could have had really great scenes with sharp dialogue, intelligent protagonists and a plot that mattered. I was so disappointed that the author didn't take advantage of this. Journalists are sharp people in real life. Not so much in this novel. The whole subplot of another newspaper's reporter getting arrested and there being an inquiry was not exciting enough. Annabelle wasn't involved in it at all, so the reader felt disconnected from it, too.

Granted, this is the first novel I've ever ready by Maya Rodale, and I know this is the fourth and final book in a series -- but come on! The only thing Annabelle ever thinks about is Knightly -- blushing and stuttering and sighing whenever she sees him. She reminded me of a middle schooler. She's worked at the paper for 3.5 years and she's never had a real conversation with him? Why is she so convinced that she loves him? Why is he the perfect man for her? They're not even friendly in the beginning. Her crush-verging-on-an-obsession makes no sense. Then, her readers offer her "advice" and she goes about the most obvious and stereotypical way of getting his attention. Showing cleavage, really? Batting your eyelashes? Making him think there's a rival? First of all, she really needed advice for that? Second of all: These "tricks" were so basic and boring! From the very beginning of the novel, I was astonished that Annabelle was the advice columnist. She had no experience or personality to give anyone advice. How had she survived so long working for a London newspaper in a time when working women were so looked down upon? (This could have been a really cool plot point to focus on or at least address. Regency novels often have a down-on-her-luck or poorer heroine, but she's often not working -- or if she is, it's the governance gig. Also: Annabelle's brother is in the textile business -- what the hell is she doing associating with duchesses at the newspaper? I know these characters are from previous novels, but we're really supposed to believe that these duchesses, after they've married their dukes, have enough time to spend each week writing for a newspaper? Really?)

Annabelle kept saying "I want him to fall for me, not my column" or whatever -- but there is literally nothing for Knightly to fall for. Annabelle is a milquetoast. In her interactions with Blanche, her stereotypically moral and strict sister-in-law, she was completely spineless. That homelife situation was a little interesting -- but there was no character development. No depth behind the surface situation. Her brother maybe said three words total in the whole book.

And Knightly is no knight in shining armor, either -- though Rodale certainly tries to paint him that way, carrying Annabelle in his arms at least three times in the book. His "dilemma" over courting Lady Lydia or "paying attention" to Annabelle was so stupid and utterly unconvincing. I felt like Rodale didn't know what to do with him. The background of his father, being a bastard and his half-brother was interesting, and could have been built off of a lot. Instead, you just get a bunch of disconnected scenes of Knightly sitting in a club, sitting in his office, sitting in a cafe and thinking about Annabelle or the state of his newspaper.

I just could not get into Rodale's writing style. Everything felt fluttery and vapid. There are two scenes (TWO!!) where (spoilers?) Knightly kisses Annabelle, and then the scene ends, and the next chapter starts in a new place, with him or her thinking back on the kiss the night before. How did the scene end? What was their conversation like? These leaps made no sense and were completely unrealistic.

There was no substance to this novel. I didn't care about any of the characters. Save your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly good!, October 31, 2012
There aren't enough words to express just how much I LOVED this book. When I read Seducing Mr. Knightly I was in a reading slump and it quickly pulled me out and has definitely made my list of favorite books for 2012. This book was superb and it just reminds me why I love Maya Rodale's work so much. I couldn't seem stop myself once I started reading this book. It was just so consuming and just so very good.

Annabelle works as a advice columnist at The London Weekly and has been in love with the owner/editor in chief Derek Knightly for the past four years. Determined to finally gain his attention, she writes to her readers asking for their advice on how to attract his attention. With all of the suggestions pouring in, Annabelle quickly begins to take action. From wearing more enticing gowns with lower bodices to pretending to faint into his arms, Annabelle is willing to try anything to get Derek's attention.

Derek has never really noticed Annabelle outside of the fact that she was one of his infamous lady writers. But for someone reason lately she's been starting to stand out and he can't seem to get her off of his mind. When it's brought to his attention that Annabelle has sought out help from her readers to gain the attentions of a certain "nodcock" he can't help but wonder who exactly she is pursuing and why does the thought of her with another man seem to make him jealous?

I loved, loved, loved these two together. I found the build up to their relationship to be sweet. Annabelle has been in love with Derek for what seems like forever and I loved that everyone knows but him. I liked that their relationship wasn't rushed and we were able to see the growth between them.

I liked that this book had quite a lot of humor in it. Some of the scenes with Derek and Annabelle are really quite hilarious and I found myself laughing out loud quite a few times. Both characters were fun to read and I loved getting to know them both. Both Annabelle and Derek were such a great match and I really enjoyed their HEA.

Like I said before, this book is definitely one of my favorites of the year and I definitely can't wait to read more from Mrs. Rodale. I just love the way she is able to mix humor in her books while still making it feel sexy and romantic.

2.0 out of 5 stars Zzzzzz...., December 8, 2013
Annabelle was pathetically boring, and I have to agree with another reviewer that it was just too juvenile. As for Knightly, can you really blame him for being oblivious? He was running a newspaper, constantly busy reviewing many details. How was he supposed to know that the girl liked him when she shrunk into the shadows and only sighed at him, stammered, and blushed. He's not a mind reader, but after the non too subtle hints, he put the clues together quickly. I was just too repulsed and felt no connection or empathy for Annabelle. She was always going around feeling too sorry for herself. She took pride in having no backbone. Ugh...It took sweet and innocent from a nauseating level quickly to a no interest level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Three Years,Six Months, Three Weeks, And Two Days!, July 2, 2014
That is how long Annabelle has known and longed for Derek Knightly, her boss. I got this book from my library and was delighted immediately upon reading this. I hesitated after reading several of the reviews, but with some encouragement from some dear, fellow readers I decided to throw caution to the wind. So glad I did. :)

The idea of the story is a plain-Jane (Annabelle Swift) who writes a newspaper column for the love of life/editor (Derek Knightly). He is her heart's desire but never notices her. So in a time crunch to get her column done, she makes herself the subject of her own column.

She appeals to all of London for advice on how to get this, " nodcock" to notice her. This is when the fun begins because her column suddenly becomes the talk in every parlor. Even Derek overhears gentleman discussing advice they have offered over his morning coffee, but the true humor was how clueless Knightly was.

Isn't that the way of it ladies? She is making all these major changes but he just doesn't catch on to who it is she is trying to impress. Annabelle does take her new study to task and it is funny to watch her attempt to become the seductress. The images that you get are hilarious.

She is a girl after my own heart. There is a particular reflection she has when recounting one of her most embarrassing moments. Apparently at 12 years old she had unwittingly tucked her petticoats and skirts into her unmentionables and proceeded into church. LOL! I almost spit my coffee across the kitchen.

There are specific events which one needs to overlook to make the humor plausible, mainly the fact that knightly reviews her column that describe her humiliations that take place and Knightly still remains clueless, unlikely, but I was still willing to roll with it. There is a side story that is unraveling at the same time and it is causing a distraction for Derek and that is explanation so it isn't too far of a stretch.

The thing I liked most, all humor aside, was watching Annabelle go from this quiet wallflower and begin to bloom. Her transformation in this book was a pleasure to watch. You feel her pain in your gut when Derek continues to not notice her and then when she finally gets him turmoil within Annabelle and she releases him. Then it is Derek we get to watch dangled on a string.

The Letter/column he puts in the paper to Annabelle will bring a tear to your eye. There is one love scene in the book and it is before they are married if that's not your thing. It's not quite clear at that point if that's what the outcome will be. This was a very enjoyable story from beginning to end and is totally worthy of the five stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the Great End Expected for the Series, November 22, 2012
The build up for Derek and Annabelle's story was such that I expected a book full of emotional discovery and deep character analysis. Would we finally find out about the his past which has only been hinted at in prior books? How will Rodale make him likeable as a hero for he has been shown to be coldhearted and calculating? Will Annabelle continue to be a meek mouse or be as adventuresome as her friends? Unfortunately what is presented is a story that tries to be humorous at parts but falls short and only skims the surface of each characters' personalities.

The heroine relies on her readers and friends to help her navigate the art of luring a man, which is fine for the first few tries, but for the entirety of the book? She is contemplating marrying a man for the rest of her life, it doesn't make any sense that she has no ideas of her own for keeping his attention. There is one part in the story where she writes a scathing article blasting the hero for being blind to the fact that he is the central figure in her attempts at amour, but this is only after she is challenged to do so by someone who admires her writing. She lives with her brother and termagant of a sister-in-law, but is unable to defend herself even though she is a writer and supposedly a master with words. Where were the witty comebacks? None existent. I ultimately found her to be a boring character and didn't really care if she got the hero in the end or not.

The largest disappointment in this book,though, is the hero. He ends up being just another oblivious guy versus the tortured soul that I thought he was from reading the preceding three books. We see his mother a couple times in the book and in one scene he contemplates delving further into his parents' relationship, but then backs off with an "eh, maybe not" so as a reader we never find out about the events that shaped his childhood and his drive to be a successful business man. All we know is that his father split time with his families, loved the hero, but then died and the hero was barred from his funeral by the legitimate son. It turns out that the hero pursues success because he wants to be accepted by his brother, but they don't interact except for one instance where the hero insults his brother. In the end (literally the last sentences of the book) Rodale attempts to reconcile the brothers by having the hero write a letter to his brother about his feelings. In the meantime the hero spends the majority of the story not aware that Annabelle was pursuing him and shows a blatant disregard for her writing; tantamount to someone telling you that your greatest interest is silly and not worthwhile.

Outside of the relationship, there is conflict around censorship and suppression of the press, but it plays a mild role and is resolved with a cheesy court trial.

Ultimately only worth reading if you lack better novels to spend your time with, otherwise skip it, though I do recommend the other three books in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, November 3, 2012
Jessica G. Duet (New Orleans, LA USA) - See all my reviews
This book is amazing! I laughed so much. Annabelle and Mr. Knightly are awesome characters! You will enjoy this page turner!

4.0 out of 5 stars I Love Annabelle and Derek!, October 31, 2012
ajabezer (COLUMBUS, OH, United States) - See all my reviews
This was a fun and quick read for a cold, rainy night. I love the twist at the end, "What would Annabelle advise?" I love that Mr. Knightly was a man who was ahead of his time. I love how Annabelle (the "Dear Abby" of her day) came out of her shell following her readers' advice. I love how some of the advice worked really well and how some fell flat. I loved how the better advice came from her male readership. This is a good romantic comedy!

4.0 out of 5 stars perfectly delightful, September 2, 2014
A. Doyle (Minneapolis, MN United States) - See all my reviews
I thought I might dislike this story, despite having already thoroughly enjoyed Wallflowers Gone Wild by Maya Rodale. The plot seemed to hinge on the embarrassment of Annabelle, and I can't stand to see people embarrassed. Yes, Annabelle finds herself in mortifying predicaments (if I ever accidentally grope a man I have been infatuated with for years, I can only pray that I will spontaneously combust before he reacts), but she does so with an acknowledgment of the ridiculousness of her circumstances and a sense of humor that makes it bearable. And really, Annabelle risks a lot to get her heart's desire. Some embarrassment is worthwhile for that reward, isn't it? And the object of her affection thoroughly understands the blows to her ego she suffers in the name of love, because he takes risks right back to convince her she can accept him. I often feel romance novel male protagonists haven't earned their happy-ever-after, but Derek really did. Annabelle went out on a (breaking) limb for love and he went out on a limb right back.

Additionally, Derek's codename of "the nodcock" only gets more entertaining with repetition and his realization that all of their coworkers, and a significant proportion of the population of London, were aware of Annabelle's pursuit, even though he was almost totally oblivious. I defy you not to laugh at the scenes of Derek's friends taking Annabelle's part right to his face, before and after he realizes he is, in fact, THE Nodcock.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm seduced into buying all her other books!!!!, November 12, 2012
Linda Jean (LUMBERTON, NJ, US) - See all my reviews
I no longer trust professional reviews, so was leary of buying this book. I've found that when a professional reviewer uses words like sweet, charming or romantic, it means the book will read like a teenager wrote it. But this book was a wonderful surprise. This was a light, frothy confection of a book - and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The breezy, humorous writing style was clever and witty, very well done. I look forward to reading her other books, as this was my first. I thought this story was extremely romantic, and perfectly paced. I'm a sap for the cute subtitles and clues to what each chapter has in store. Highly recommended - a lovely read.

This book was truly hard to put down, it just drew me right in and, well, seduced me. I loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dear Annabelle, September 1, 2013
ASpoon (Columbus, OH) - See all my reviews
Dear Annabelle, the way to getting your man is to be honest in what you want and be bold enough to tell him upfront and if it's true love then you will have to handle the good, the bad and possible rejection... your fan, "Bold Love From Bath"....

This story was TERRIFIC! I laughed from beginning to end, I was entertained from chapter to chapter. This book had the most witty nonsense I've read in a book for along while. I loved all the characters and I miss them already. The book has 52 chapters and I didn't want it to end. The only disappointment I had was the Epilogue...I truly wanted to see the outcome of Mr. Knightly and his brother's relationship or lack thereof. I was so excited to read that he wrote a letter and disappointed when we weren't privilege to the outcome of it. But this was a wonderful story.