Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Seduction
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on November 20, 2006
Nowadays, in part due to the noodlings of Kenny G., it is common to dismiss instrumental pop and rock music as nothing more than glorified Muzak, even though quite a few of those instrumental records have endured over time. Such is the case with this album from German-born band leader and arranger James Last which was originally released in 1980.

Straddling the worlds of disco, synth-pop, new wave, and smooth jazz, this is a thoroughly underappreciated ten-track collection of instrumental pop. All but two of the tracks were composed either by Last himself or by his son Ronald Last, and are extremely inventive combinations of jazz-rock fusion influences and synthesizers. The two non-original ones both have their origins in Giorgio Moroder's score for the Paul Schrader-directed 1980 film AMERICAN GIGOLO. One of them is "Night Drive", whose main melody is derived from the Blondie song "Call Me" that is on the AMERICAN GIGOLO soundtrack. The other one, of course, is "The Seduction", this album's title track and that movie's haunting love theme, with an uncredited alto sax solo by David Sanborn. That track was widely played on the radio and actually peaked at #28 on the Billboard Hot 100 in May 1980.

Last's "band", so to speak, consists of a lot of great musicians, including string arranger Sid Sharp; drummer Rick Marotta; guitarists Robert "Waddy" Wachtel and Lee Ritenour; keyboardists Don Grolnick and Michael Boddicker; bassist Abe Laboriel; and sax maestro Ernie Watts. All combine on this album for a lush but not syrupy experience from a time when production gimmickry had yet to swamp the recording process. A hugely worthwhile album for anyone with a taste for instrumental pop and rock of a compelling kind.
on September 13, 2005
I've waited, what seems like forever, for this album to be released in CD format. My cassette tape version was played so many times that the sound quality degraded. I even got desperate enough to purchase an LP version a few years ago and bought a second-hand turntable so that I could listen to every song on this album. Excellent instrumentals and beautifully arranged. Very evocative and romantic . . . the best James Last album ever produced.
on August 24, 2005
I've been waiting 20 years for this album to come to CD. Nothing but high quality instrumental talent. You will not be disappointed with this album.
on January 18, 2012
I got misled by this album. I had the vinyl edition of James Last's Seduction in the 1980s. I wanted a CD rendition of this album. So when I saw this on Amazon, without any song titles listed, I assumed this was the 1980s album. Instead I found two discs with mostly popular music from the 1960s to 1980s, with only three of the titles of the previous album. This was NOT James Last's Seduction that was on my LP. It was a different album. The error that James Last made here was to give this album the same name as the older one. You can't do that. You will cause confusion. The music was good to listen to, for the most part. The version of Good Morning Starshine had interesting harmonies, although it was somewhat draggy. Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White was pretty much as I heard it when I was a teenager. Some interesting songs but for the most part old stuff. I had to get my original album by downloading each of the songs on it and putting them together to create a CD that duplicated my original vinyl record. That album had more original songs and to me is a valuable oldie.
on October 18, 2005
Oh my gosh i can't believe this I was just looking to buy a david sanborn cd, and spotted the red jacket I looked again and at first it didnt click then I was so happy.I have and still play the album. Been trying to get the cd since barber school and that was in 1980. so twenty five years and now I ordered this sexy,sultry,smooth jazz cd. my favorite songs are seduction,so excited, and its over. thanks so much I will always cherish this one and make many copies for friends. lois
on November 23, 2005
I was in high school when this album came out and i remember it was the most beautiful piece of music i ever heard i use to fall asleep to it every night i have been looking for this to be released on cd for years and now the wait is finally over i played this album so much i wore it out three times thanks to the studio who finally wised up to release this classic i will cherrish this one for ever for fans of this music if you like this check out VINCE MENDOZA work.
on January 27, 2007
It's actually Ernie Watts playing the alto sax solo on this version of "The Seduction." David Sanborn recorded this tune on his "Hideaway" album after the James Last Band version hit the charts. In fact, on earlier pressings of the "Hideaway" LP, "The Seduction" is not on it. It was added to a later pressing of the album as an afterthought, I suppose...
on October 28, 2008
we were looking for "Seduction" played by the James Last Orchestra. this version is okay, but it isn't the version we expected. it seems difficult to find accurate information at times. it's too bad all albums don't show the back on the album and the liner notes to determine if the content is what should be expected.
on March 29, 2008
We had been looking for a certain song that was on this CD. Most of the songs are really quite good. We enjoy just some nice listening music while driving in the car.
on July 8, 2007
I am so excited to have finally found this after 20 plus years of searching. This is the ultimate mood music!!! It is like Christmas in July!! I haven't been this excited since receiving Carol King Tapestry in 1972(or 1973) for Christmas!! I could just pee my pants!!!! I have to give credit to my adoring husband who found this for me and never even heard of James Last Band until I turned him on to it!! Thanks, honey....love you to bits!!