5.0 out of 5 stars "The book of Why"...
My 4 yr old son LOVES this book! So much that it takes us a good 30 minutes to get through 2 pages. As we go along I must hear "Why?" and "How?" at least 20-30 times. It spawns so many questions that we now call it the "Book of Why." LOL.

Published on February 13, 2011 by Jack

1.0 out of 5 stars unhappy owner of how things work book
My book arrived today and my child as well as myself were excited to get started exploring it's contents, unfortunately the second my child turned the first page she cut two of her fingers, not just small
paper cuts, large cuts from the very sharp pages, i know these pages are cardboard but they are very sharp, it would be a good idea to round the edges of the...
Published 15 months ago by sorry

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars "The book of Why"..., February 13, 2011
This review is from: See Inside How Things Work (Hardcover)

It includes all kinds of things from construction vehicles to household machines. It's educational and interesting for kids of all ages.

I would highly recommend this for kids who are interested in how things work.

5.0 out of 5 stars great educational books, March 16, 2011
This review is from: See Inside How Things Work (Hardcover)
I love that we've found these books! My daughter brought home a 'See Inside' book from school and was enthralled with it for most of the evening. I searched it to find out if I could purchase it and discovered a whole series! We have 'houses long ago', 'under the sea', 'how things work' and 'space'. I love them! I'm as interested as the children to see what is under each flap and I've even learned things I never knew. Great learning resource. I plan to buy the whole series!
We originally purchased this book for our 7 year old daughter and skipped getting a few because I assumed my 4 year old son was too young for them. However, the bright colors and interesting flaps and lifts has him interested enough to sit through the books too. I'd buy this for a girl or boy from ages 3 to probably 12 or 13 years old.

5.0 out of 5 stars We love the See Inside Usbourne books!, December 20, 2010
This review is from: See Inside How Things Work (Hardcover)
This is the fourth "See Inside" book we purchased and as usual, we love it! My sons are 5 1/2 and really enjoy interactive and educational books. The Usbourne books are loaded with flaps to lift, pictures to study and side bars to read; however, the print and illustrations do not overwhelm like some other books we have looked at. The illustrations are beautiful and the book is sturdy and durable. Very pleasing to the eye. My favorite see inside book is the "See Inside" Space. My one son just got out the book "When is a planet not a planet? The story of Pluto" from their school library and we read part of that book and then read 4 pages from the see inside space and they complimented each other perfectly. The boys were very pleased with themselves that they remembered what Copernicus and Galileo contributed to the research history of astronomy. The boys also love that the space book has a removable star and constellation chart that we take outside at night to find all of the "art" in the sky. The see inside dinosaur book is another one of our favorites!

I highly recommend this series of books!

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT book for the 'little thinker', April 3, 2011
This review is from: See Inside How Things Work (Hardcover)
'How Things Work' was our very first book from Usborne. (If you don't own any Usborne books, they are AMAZING and very high quality...both an educational value and sturdy)

My 3 year old son wants to know how everything works. He loves to ride the escalator at the mall and watches "How it's Made" on TV. His dad is an engineer, so we know where he gets this love of how things 'tick'.

"How Things Work" is a very detailed lift-the-flap book that would be great for preschoolers, and also experienced readers. It keeps my son entertained because the pictures are very detailed. The book begins with a page on 'simple machines', including pulleys, inclined planes, etc. Each page turn is a new section/topic, including musical instruments, and even escalators and elevators.

We love that this book is internet linked. My son and I have tried out many of the websites; his favorites including a hot air balloon simulation, and also a kitchen-full of appliances where you guess which simple machine is being used.

Our family highly recommends this book. Also check out the other Usborne books in the "See Inside" series, such as "See Inside Space".

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the genre, October 10, 2011
This review is from: See Inside How Things Work (Hardcover)
This is such a well thought out book, that it is so simple, yet so broad. The approach of flaps is very inviting to my 5 and 8 year olds, and a respite to me from reading all the endless Barbie and Princess volumes to them. I would not call it comprehensive on the 8 or 9 subjects it covers, but has enough hints to generate curiosity and a could be a good transition from fiction they are mostly drawn to. I would look for more books from the authoer.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the mother of all flap books., April 8, 2011
This review is from: See Inside How Things Work (Hardcover)
If your kid likes flap books, like mine does, he or she will LOVE this. I even find it interesting, and I just know this will be in our family's library for years to come. I plan on buying the rest of the series, all it took was one to convince me of the quality. This is exactly what I was looking for for my little flap-lover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heath Robinson 2011, February 26, 2011
I ordered this book for my grandson, A, described as smart at school, but not yet 4. He is on the 'cusp of reading' it seems. The book, when it arrived had quite difficult diagrams and words in quite a small typeface. It really didn't seem suitable for any non-reader under 5. But my son read it to A and had to ration the reading to two pages a night as the pictures generated so many questions. Subsequently A went around looking at machines he came across like cars and rubbish lorries and so on and discussed how they worked.

It would appear it was a success but beware it might not be for every 'rising 4' child and it does need an interested and knowledgeable adult to assist for this age. But it does seem money well spent. Heath Robinson? Well we are trying that next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sharing between adult and child, October 18, 2011
This review is from: See Inside How Things Work (Hardcover)
This is a great series, but what I like best about it is that it generates interaction between adult and child about How Things Work. The reading leads to experiences together, i.e., "Let's go to the garage and see how gears work." "Is that how the pipe organ at church works?" "We have a septic system, and it works a bit differently. Here, let me show it to you." So many openings for learning conversations. We like this book. Our 3 and 5 year old grandsons like this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, May 16, 2011
This review is from: See Inside How Things Work (Hardcover)
I got this book for my 5-year and 3-year old. They love the flaps and learning about how things in life work. This is a great book and product.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC BOOK!!!, March 28, 2014
DSC (Orange County, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: See Inside How Things Work (Hardcover)
FANTASTIC book!!! My 2 year old is obsessed with this book. He LOVES to find out how things work! It's cute and funny and informative. I think it's good for older kids, too.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

See Inside How Things Work
See Inside How Things Work by Conrad Mason (Hardcover - Jan. 2010)
Used & New from: $10.68