Published on June 7, 2009 by J. Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars required reading
This was one option I had to read for my school's summer reading list. I always enjoy books written by other teachers and getting knew ideas and insight. Although much of the information is geared to new teachers, I had some "oh yeah, why didn't I think of that" moments when reading many of the chapters...even after 13 years. Some very humorous parts that made it a...
Published on July 20, 2009 by music maestra

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for new teachers...or old teaches, or anyone contemplating entering the profession, June 7, 2009
This book is absolutely fantastic. It's realistic, humorous, ever so slightly cynical, but not enough to make anyone want to reconsider being a teacher. On the contrary, it gives new teachers ammunition to enter the classroom more prepared, eyes wide open to potential problems, and with plenty of concrete suggestions to use when problems do indeed arise. This book does not deny the utility of the conventional wisdom for lesson planning, teaching methods and strategies, or classroom management given by other first-year teacher books. Rather, it explains real-life situations in the classroom in less idealistic terms, shows teachers where potential pitfalls lie, and gives concrete suggestions (not vague, open-to-interpretation words of wisdom) to either avoid the problems completely or, at the very least, do damage control. It even addresses politics within the school, and how to deal with problematic coworkers and administrators. Each situation is highlighted by real-life stories from real teachers who struggled in their first years...but ultimately stuck with it and became successful. As a teacher myself, I can definitely relate to the stories in here (thus the humor!) and, though I've already been in the classroom 3 years and have figured out plenty of my own strategies and tricks that work for me, I've also gotten several new ideas from reading this book that I plan to try out come August! A great, quick, witty and useful read. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a MUST for teachers!, June 26, 2009
See Me After Class, Roxanna's first book [but hopefully not last], is humorous, insightful, and definitely worthwhile. It is a book written by a teacher for teachers. In her book, Roxanna brings to light the truth about the teaching career but doesn't "sugar-coat" teaching like many college professors like to do. However, she doesn't take away from the truth about this career... that it's a rewarding job that is completely worth the many headaches, sleepless nights, and sometimes heartbreaks.

As a teacher myself, I wish I would've had a book like this one to guide me during my first year; a book so straight-forward and helpful. As I read this book and the many "first-year teacher horror stories", I couldn't help but continue nodding my head in agreement with what I was reading. I, too, remember my "unprepared teacher dream". I, too, had numerous lesson plans run shorter than expected. I remember wanting to pull my hairs out when I looked at the clock to realize that I still had another thirty minutes to "entertain" my students. And of course, many times when I sought help from veteran teachers I heard the overused phrase "Well, there must be something you're not doing right."

I had to learn the hard way... through trial and error alone but it's a relief to know that new teachers now have this book to help make their life easier. I don't believe anything can ever replace experience in the classroom and in the end, it's our best learning tool but it's definitely nice to have a reference to turn to, especially when we feel like quitting and just giving up on it all. This book will tell you exactly how it is but will also help you realize that there's hope and a bright light at the end of the teaching tunnel.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-buy for all teachers, veteran or new!, June 23, 2009
Ana C. Simon (FL , United States) - See all my reviews
I have been teaching for almost 7 years and a lot of what I've learned has been on the job. After reading this book, all I could think about was how much I wish it had been around my first year as a teacher. To say it would have been a big help is an understatement!

Elden's book is a mix of do's and don't's and advice from experienced teachers she's met in her time teaching. Elden is quite experienced herself, having taught the full gamut, from 4th grade to high school and even adult education. Her writing style is both lively and witty, which allows the more technical sections (detailing class management and lesson plan tips, etc.) to be easily readable.

Another great feature in this book are the recommended supply lists for new teachers. She sagely advises new teachers not to buy everything but the kitchen sink, instead pointing out the items novice educators sometimes forget to buy, such as staplers and staples.

This book proves it IS possible to teach an old teacher new tricks -- whether you're a teacher or know someone about to begin their first year as a teacher, this book is a must-buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, June 5, 2009
I was actually working on the same book idea. After reading this book, I will put my idea to rest. This is wonderfully written and is surprising truthful. As an English teacher, I am beyond impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific advice for new teachers!, June 26, 2009
Brent Seehafer (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
Roxanna has a writing style that keeps you turning the pages, not only to learn all the useful information and tips in the book, but also to get to her hilarious quips. It's a terrific book and I can't recommend it enough to my teacher friends, whether they are new or have been teaching for years.
Although, I am not a teacher, I found the insights in the book to apply to dealing with little people at home, too. The "Consequences and Rewards" for behavior section is a gold mine of ideas that I will be using on our son when he's old enough to get into trouble.
I can't wait to read her next book! And the next! And the next!
-Ginger

5.0 out of 5 stars Sobering and empowering, May 8, 2011
Max (Springfield, MO, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: See Me After Class: Advice for Teachers by Teachers (Paperback)
My best friend from high school has been a teacher for more than a decade. Over the years, we've stayed in touch and he suggested that I consider getting my teaching certification and become a teacher. His words: "You'd be a great high school or middle school English teacher." It piqued my interest and I had considered it in the past. So I've started the research portion. I've already requested my transcripts from my undergrad schools so I can apply to a teaching cert program. The actual application to the program is still sitting around here somewhere waiting for me to fill out and submit. After reading this book (which I did in a day) I find myself NOT searching for that application. I still intend to go through with it but my zeal has now been tempered with realistic expectations. A week ago, it was all about fantasizing about the Mr. Holland's Opus moments that I'll be living out. After this book, I'm now taking a careful inventory of myself just to make sure I have what is needed to actually DO the job of teaching. This book, (hilarious at some points; had to catch my breath after laughing so hard) is exactly what the author says it is in the first chapter. A realistic view of the teaching profession in America. I feel it somewhat inoculated me against naive pitfalls and armed me to do an important job. At the end of the book, I realize it's not about me living the Stand and Deliver fantasy. It's about the students. At the end of the book, I am left with the realization that there are millions of kids in this world, and they all need at least one good teacher at some point in their lives. If I plan to be that, I can't let the harsh realities of the profession surprise and demoralize me. I can now go into it prepared to conduct myself with a professional work ethic. My Lean On Me delusions are now in their proper place; right next to my NFL Quarterback fantasies. I am now ready to devote myself to making a meaningful contribution to this world and don't need a credit roll at the end to motivate me. Wonderful book. Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oughta Be Required Reading for ALL Teachers!, July 27, 2009
See Me After Class should be required reading for all teachers; it's a great reminder for veterans to be "nice" to the newbies, and is a refresher course for some who ought to know better (but maybe forgot?). I am a firm believer in humor, especially when it is wry, witty, or downright sarcastic. Education and teaching are serious business these days, but we do need to lighten up and find the joy.

I was impressed by Dave Barry's endorsement on the cover as I read everything the man writes; I worked with Roxanna's sister for 2 years and now understand that she was well-prepared by her older sis, and took my son, 27, NOT a teacher, to Roxanna's book signing. We enjoyed her presentation immensely and couldn't wait to read her book. I bought an additional copy as a gift but if I hit the lottery, I would buy several dozen.

See Me After Class is delightful, fun, and honest. If more teachers used Roxanna's approach, our dropout rates would decline dramatically. Hoping to read more from both Ms. Eldens. Happy Reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Resource for New Teachers, July 5, 2014
As a new Middle School teacher, I give this book 5 stars out of 5. I'm so thankful for it! It has various great tips and advice as well as checklists. It covers several important topics such as classroom management, organization, parent contact, dealing with coworkers and your principal and many others. One of my favorite parts of this book was the stories shared by other teachers. It made me realize that even though my first year teaching doesn't go as planned, it will all be ok because if others made it through, then I will too! I learned so much from this book! I recently shared this with a teacher who has been teaching for 20 years and she loved it. She said she wished she had it when she first started.
I have heard that my first year was going to be my toughest yearand I wanted to prepare myself for it so I started looking around when I came across this book. So glad I did. I've already shared it with my fellow graduate teachers. I highly recommend it to all teachers!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must for New (and Not So New) Teachers, August 2, 2009
After reading Ms. Elden's book, I immediately purchased copies for two education majors I know. They have told me there is more useful information in See Me After Class than in their methods texts. I know I would have loved a book like this when I started teaching. The writing style is very reader friendly. The material is informative but the style is not "preachy". The author speaks of her experiences as well as those of other teachers. The author also offers many ideas to help the new teacher get off to a good start. She invites the reader to take away what will be helpful. Ms. Elden also encourages the reader to explore the possibility of a variety of approaches to a situation. This book addresses the craziness of being a first year teacher in a positive way that offers a wealth of information sprinkled with wisdom and humor. I loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest, Intelligent, and Funny - Who Knew A Teacher Could Write Such a Thing?!, October 1, 2009
If you're a teacher or merely someone interested in teaching or education, this book will hook you in a heartbeat. Readers will be delighted and enlightened by the wellspring of information, stories, and insights that Ms. Elden imparts. I usually avoid books like this, opting for 'fun' reads rather than professional ones. This is both funny and professionally sound, and I learned so much even though I've taught high school kids for 25 years. It seemed like all I did while reading the book was nod in assent while laughing uproariously. Judging from her writing style, it appears that Roxana Elden may have a few humor novels as well in her future. What's next for this talented young lady, I wonder?

See Me After Class: Advice for Teachers by Teachers
See Me After Class: Advice for Teachers by Teachers by Roxanna Elden (Paperback - April 5, 2011)
Used & New from: $0.24