5.0 out of 5 stars A Tour de Force!
Published on November 16, 2009 by Kingsley R. Browne

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings
Published on August 14, 2010 by Alan Mazer

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, August 14, 2010
This review is from: I See Rude People: One woman's battle to beat some manners into impolite society (Paperback)
I have mixed feelings about this book. I first heard of Amy Alkon through an article somewhere this past week which cited her as an expert on modern-day rudeness, and believe me, I'm sensitive to this topic. Courtesy seems to be in rapid decline. And Alkon, fed up, has some very entertaining stories on how she's started dealing with rude people, from taking the photographs of particularly offensive people (priceless) to billing telemarketers for her time. Interspersed between her anecdotes are a surprising amount of interesting and relevant facts and quotable studies, including a particularly intriguing 150-people-per-village concept, which suggests that there are simply too many of us living in too little real community for us to feel much societal restraint. Her "Don't inflict yourself on other people" motto should be framed and hung everywhere. She's definitely got me thinking about how I can minimize my impact on others around me. The last chapter of the book, in particular, has many very constructive suggestions for coping with and challenging rudeness in the world.

That said, some of her stories don't describe her defending against rudeness as such, but her fights against people (cops and bank workers, for starts) who don't give her the service she feels she deserves, and at these points in the book she loses a little of my sympathy. I've had a car stolen; I've had problems at her bank which were handled professionally. Glossed over in her complaints of how her bank failed to prevent theft from her account is that her bank refunded her money without question. That they refused to help her track down the perpetrator is hardly surprising. Similarly, her story of having her car stolen is sad, and her zeal to recover it impressive, but it's hard to fault the police department for not sending a car just because a friend reportedly saw the stolen auto in traffic. Most police departments have tight budgets and scarce resources, and surely she realizes that crimes of violence will always take priority over property crimes in a city like L.A.

In short, Alkon makes a lot of great points, the book is entertaining and moves quickly, and she cites some very interesting research. But there's a very fine line between actually fighting rudeness and poor service (her suggestions in the last chapter are terrific) and demanding that companies and organizations use their resources to fight injustice against -you-.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Tour de Force!, November 16, 2009
Rude people beware: Amy Alkon may see you, and if she does, it is unlikely to be a pleasant experience for you. Car thieves, "underparenting" parents, cell-phone users, and telemarketers have all attracted her ire, and she has responded with persistence and ingenuity in ways that most of us can only dream of. But this book is not just a rant about the unmannered. Alkon skillfully weaves in learning from the fields of psychology and anthropology (among others) to explain why we face such a scourge of the impolite. People have always been "grabby, self-involved jerks," but the anonymity of modern society means that they are no longer constrained by the norms of the small groups that traditionally kept those jerky tendencies in check.

This a book for everyone. Those burdened by the impolite may learn defensive strategies, or at least learn that they have a champion in Amy Alkon. If we're lucky, the impolite will learn that what they do is actually impolite, causing them to change their ways; at the very least, however, they will learn to look over their shoulders.

"I See Rude People" is delightfully entertaining. Those familiar with Alkon's advice column ([...]) will recognize her wit and energy. After reading "I See Rude People," those not familiar with her column will be impelled to make it a regular destination for an "Alkon fix."

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Fabulous, November 14, 2009
Sterling R. Braswell "Sterling" (College Station, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I've been reading Ms. Alkon's column for many years, and I was prepared to enjoy her book. Amy probably snapped at about the same time I did in regards to 'rude people'. I will quote from page 120: "I thought kids and I had a deal: I'd stay out of Chuck E. Cheese if they stayed out of the martini lounge." This hits me at home from both sides, and I am still laughing.

This book is even better than my expectations. As much as I enjoy visiting her blog, I get involved in the discussions there and sometimes forget that Amy is there. And this book really was an evening with Amy. She's sassy, precocious, and absolutely fabulous in the way she relates her stories and views.

Ms Alkon makes you laugh and makes you think. And from her precisely sharp wit she provides us all with courage to make the world a little more friendly, and a better place.

The advicegoddess is my new Dave Barry. And with much better hair. I can't wait to send copies of her book to friends and foe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of sharp humor and sharper ideas!, November 17, 2009
Amy Alkon is one of the cleverest writers out there. Her wit is a sharp instrument, and she uses it not just to get a laugh here and there, but also to make you think. She's fearless as she calls rude people on their behavior - from the guy talking on his cell phone and holding up the line (because he's talking, not paying) to telemarketers who unashamedly call all hours of the day. In addition, she also goes into detail about some of the reasons we're seeing an increase of rudeness and selfish behavior in society today. Ms. Alkon's book is a great read, and a lot of people on my Christmas list will be getting a copy. Hopefully they won't think I'm hinting that they're rude ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sassy and spunky!, February 18, 2010
Amy Alkon is sassy and to-the-point. No beating around the bush for this lady! Her style is full of zingers and truths.

This is not an etiquette book... she is not Judith Martin or Emily Post. This is not a book to teach you how to be polite. This is a book on how to deal with rude people. Sometimes people are too afraid of offending others to stand up for themselves... this is a book to encourage the spineless to speak up and not let people walk all over them.

Amy doesn't always tell people what they want to hear, but what they need to hear. She is not afraid to deal with the difficult truths. She's tough, but it's tough love, because she is a woman who truly wants to help people.

I also recommend reading her advice columns which you can find on her website, or in some newspapers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Priceless!, February 18, 2010
C. Salmon (Beaumont, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Totally refreshing and fabulous book. Amy Alkon does a wonderful job of creating a fun to read, entertaining book that is also practical and slips in the science as well. No one is surprised that there are rude people out there, we deal with them every day. But Amy's insights are entertaining and helpful...and very topical, like the discussion of people big and rude enough to annex half your plane seat. :-)Totally worth the price and more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amy Doesn't See Me!, November 19, 2009
R. Manhard "Tanuki-san" (Sterling, VA United States) - See all my reviews
I've read Amy's blog for quite some time so I was eager to get the book. I'm not only not disappointed, I'm delighted. Amy's conversational tone in the book is not particularly different from her (dare I say?) cheeky blog style. So apart from it being one-sided, it's like a having a friend over for a good conversation.
One thing I particularly like is that while she accumulates facts and figures, her personal anecdotes really animate the book.
I would hope that a lot of people read this as she is absolutely right that public interaction is increasingly abrasive with people not giving a bit of consideration to others. She goes after the inconsiderate and I respect her gutsiness in doing so. As for me, I'm going to try to live so that if Amy sees me, she puts me in the next book for conspicuous gentlemanly behavior.

The brief review: Buy this book! Read it! Make other people read it! Politely of course.

5.0 out of 5 stars Woe to the rude..., November 28, 2009
Fianza (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
...because Amy Alkon will knee-cap them with crow-bar of her searing wit.

Ms. Alkon writes of her efforts to save us from the the petit sociopaths of society: the cell yeller, the anonymous Internet character assassin, and the child-controlled parent.

This book is plain cover-to-cover funny. I was impressed by her social and psychological analysis of humankind's roots and de-evolution of its ill-behavior. Our barely post-Paleolithic brains are not handling modern tools too well and we're not behaving too well outside of the cave.

Buy, read, laugh, and learn.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wanted to like it more than I did., July 16, 2010
In terms of style, think Dave Barry crossed with Seinfeld, Andy Rooney, Kathy Griffin (although less funny), and throw in a bit of Curtis Sliwa. While I can't stand the same sorts of folks Alkon rips here, this is an uneven effort that could've fairly easily been made better by omitting some tedious personal detail in several places. The parts on cell phone rudeness and misbehaving children are quite good, but the identity-theft incident hardly deals with rudeness in the same sense at all and seems somewhat out of place. The rest of the book regarding bad experiences with a small-time car thief, a sleazy old guy who damaged the author's new car, various bureaucratic corporate weasels, overwhelmed functionaries of the criminal justice system, and assorted hostile internet blog commenters reads as rather self-indulgent venting. Although I do give her credit for standing up to thoughtless, obnoxious boors and encouraging others to do the same - there's nothing wrong with a bit of etiquette vigilantism in my book - this seems like it was a rushed work that could have been tightened up to good effect.

BTW, my review was posted several months ago but within an hour or two of it being online I had received votes that it was "not useful", which I found rather odd - especially since it normally takes some time to receive feedback on books that have been out for a while. I read through other less-than-stellar reviews and associated comments and discovered the rather sad situation of the author and people who "really like" the book accusing those who don't of being part of a conspiracy to harass Alkon and damage her sales - apparently some of the hostility touched on in the book spilled over onto Amazon's review pages. I removed my review in order to not become embroiled in this little drama at the time - hopefully things have since calmed down. While there may indeed be folks with whom the author has a problem/history posing dishonestly as reviewers, she should also be able to accept honest criticism. Petty retaliation at readers who write less flattering reviews smacks of immense insecurity and goes against the democratic spirit of Amazon's review policies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amy, You Slay Me!, November 27, 2009
We've all had to deal with them. We all know who they are. They're the guy with the cell phone who insists on using it, full voice, in any venue, including quiet coffee shops or movie theaters. Or they're the parents who refuse to even try to reign in their children as they shriek and run tearing through the restaurants, disrupting everyone's dining experience. And most of us have simply endured this in silence, smoldering in our resentment.

Now, enter syndicated advice columnist Amy Alkon. With inimitable acid style, she shares with us her own experiences confronting the "rudesters" (her coinage), in her own clever, creative and determined fashion. Many of these accounts are laugh out loud funny, such as her friend's passive-aggressive approach to dealing with parents in her social circle who refuse to deal with their out-of-control kids, or her victory in small-claims court over a telemarketing agency who interrupted her dinner, or how she effectively and anonymously scared a man into taking his loud cellphone calls outside.

While these accounts are the most entertaining aspect of the book -- and these anecdotes abound --, Amy also shares some impressive research, backed by professionals in fields such as evolutionary psychology and sociology, explaining why people are rude, and why it is we're inclined to simply put up with it. But Amy leads by example, and shows us many ways to deal with these thoughtless louts and bring some consideration back into shared environs.

Those of us familiar with Amy's column and blog will instantly recognize her scathing wit. Her love of puns also sneaks in; for example, the chapter entitled "The Mobile Savage," (about loud cell phone users) or a section in the first chapter, "Meaner Pastures."

The book is a rapid-fire page-turner, at once educational and empowering. It not only shares the reasons for rudeness and her own confrontations with the rudesters, but it encourages us to take up the cause. I myself, after reading the book, decided to finally confront the gentleman who made a rather disgusting show of exfoliating with a loofah mitt in a local gym's steamroom, slapping the mitt upon the bench to remove the dead skin.

While it is too soon to predict the outcome of this book, I am hoping it will usher in a watershed movement when we take back our rights. Amy raises the valid argument that the rudesters should be seen as thieves. Not because they have their hands in our pockets, but because they steal our attention and our peace of mind.

Finally, I must admit that the book had an especial thrill for me. I was delighted to see that Amy gave her gracious thanks to so many, such as her "posse of blog commenters," including me. I am pleased to report I am the "Patrick" mentioned in the acknowledgements.

$18.00 $11.43