5.0 out of 5 stars THANK YOU
Published 4 months ago by Dani Klein Modisett

3.0 out of 5 stars hilarious, lighthearted read
Published 1 month ago by Montanagal

5.0 out of 5 stars THANK YOU, March 6, 2014
This review is from: I See You Made an Effort: Compliments, Indignities, and Survival Stories from the Edge of 50 (Hardcover)
Someone is telling the truth about what it means to be a 50 year old woman in our increasingly youth obsessed culture. And not just any someone, but someone really funny and courageous. Annabelle Gurwitch's keen eye for detail (and humiliation) made me laugh out loud many times. It also did what my favorite books do which is help me feel a little less alone. Anyone within a stone's throw of middle age will want this on their bedside table, like a great friend whispering, "Yes, you may, in fact, be considered old now in most places other than your mother's Alzheimer's support group, but it's okay, you can still laugh."

4.0 out of 5 stars Hits the "G" spot; Glib, Generous and Good, March 6, 2014
Pop Bop "Pause and Reflect" (Denver, Colorado, United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
There are a number of just-turned-30,or 40,or 50 humor books out there, and almost all of them have their engaging aspects. They do display a considerable range of styles, from the purely jokey to the angsty and way too self-involved. This book is a nice antidote to those two extremes because it is at times both funny and insightful in a rueful and self-deprecating way. By that I mean Ms. Gurwitch knows her way around a one-liner and around an extended goof of a story, (see "AuDum at the Apple Genius Bar"), but she also has a handle on wry commentary on the state of the recently 50. The emphasis is on wry commentary - there's no over the top hysteria, no relentless kvetching, no excess. We all get older, and some of the stuff associated with that is funny, or at least can be given a good-humored spin. That's what's going on here, and it is all done with honesty, a keen eye for the absurd, and a grown up appreciation of people and their foibles and preoccupations. So, if you'd like a gentle, humorous reminder that you aren't alone as you hit 50, this could be a very nice choice.
Please note that I received a free advance ecopy of this book in exchange for a candid review. Apart from that I have no connection at all to either the author or the publisher of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh Out Loud Stories: "Those 50's Moments"....., May 21, 2014
"I See You Made An Effort: Compliments, Indignities, and Survival Stories from the Edge of 50" by author/actress Annabelle Gurwitch, is a laugh out loud inspiring new funny book that addresses the finer aspects of aging as gracefully as possible.. or, sometimes not so much. Some of the chapter titles are especially telling: "I'm Meditating as Fast as I Can", "Marauding Through The Middle Ages", "I See You Made an Effort", "Monster Ball", "Area 51".

Ms. Gurwitch moved to Los Angeles, CA. in 1989, receiving numerous TV and film offers. While working on Woody Allen's "Writers Block" (2003), the production was a flop and she was fired. Devastated, her career went in an unexpected direction, involving more theater, documentary production, she wrote a lot more, including a book, was an NPR commentator, activist, and made guest appearances on TV talk shows. In the chapter "Hollywood Adjacent": Gurwitch still loves acting/preforming, but is realistic about where the direction of her career is not going. She hasn't ever been a famous Hollywood star, and "Hollywood is a machine to build the careers of very young people." according to Gurwitch.

When Gurwitch visited a high end beauty boutique, she was startled at pricey crèmes, lotions, potions etc. that eased the effects of aging/dryness. Even the glare of lip gloss could be blinding. In a discussion with her husband (television writer Jeff Kahn) he admitted he hoped in marriage there would be "more sex", where she had hoped in marriage there would be "more money". It seemed unfortunate that her "come hither" look likely meant she'd misplaced her reading glasses.

There was a time when Gurwitch fully believed Debbie Harry's (1979) "Die young. Stay pretty". The truth is that 50 is not the new 40, and 40 isn't the new 30 either. Age is what a person feels inside. Gurwitch is still happy for the little things in life- a warm shower for instance, and also for the fact that her hair hasn't caught on fire. I'll cherish this book always.

3.0 out of 5 stars hilarious, lighthearted read, May 29, 2014
I saw the author interviewed on Bill Maher's show & thought the book was going to be a deeper meditation on the aging of a middle aged woman...I should have skipped over the chapter about relating to her surly teen (since I am child free), but the book was so funny & I had many laugh out loud moments...I was hoping to read why aging is awesome instead of what a drag it is. As a single woman in my 50's I am trying to make this the best time in my life, and would like to see a more European attitude towards aging women...

5.0 out of 5 stars Ouch! and Ouch Ouch!, April 29, 2014
Annabelle really nailed what it is like to grow older in the workforce and how prejudice (even our own against ourselves) plays a part. I was sorry that she had some facial work done (justified because she is an actor/comedian) and wish she had read her own book before paying.

I'm looking forward to reading other books by Annabelle and seeing her perform on YouTube.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, May 24, 2014
I saw the author on TV and thought she was bright and funny. While her book is funny in parts, it also contains a lot of complaining and whining. She never has enough money; is afraid of getting older (problems with parents, son, doctor, face, husband (etc.) Her sense of humor got lost in all the complaining and regrets. Sorry, I was prepared to like this book more, but it started to become onerous to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars fun reading for 50., April 30, 2014
Laughed out loud. As a 50 something myself, I could totally relate. Will put a smile on your face. Thanks for making 50 funny

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a gift, May 24, 2014
I bought this as a gift. After doing so, the recipient called me repeatedly to share excerpts or stories about how she disturbed some sleeping person nearby as she laughed out loud while reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, May 15, 2014
Funny, heartwarming and written from a woman's perspective. i am a man and i thoroughly enjoyed this book. Read it in a couple of days.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for anyone approaching that half decade mark!!, March 17, 2014
Annabelle's book is both universal and very personal. Through evaluating her own life and it's struggles, she lets us know that we are not alone in our suffering through menopause. At times I laughed out loud and at times I felt deeply moved by Annabelle's honesty and her lighthearted approach to life and all it's complexities. A GREAT BOOK CLUB READ. My bookclub had a very interesting discussion about this book. All of us could relate to Annabelle's stories and the topics of discussion ranged from women in the workplace to our individual ways of dealing with our constant loss of our keys. Highly recommended!!! DW

$25.95 $19.64