4.0 out of 5 stars Legacy of a great man, December 8, 2012
This review is from: Seed by Seed: The Legend and Legacy of John "Appleseed" Chapman (Hardcover)
Do we really need another book about Johnny Appleseed? In my primary library I have seventeen different books about Johnny Appleseed.

Now I have eighteen. And I am very happy with this new look at Johnny. Before I even saw the book, I knew I'd love it; how can you go wrong with a collaboration between the amazing Esme Raji Codell and the wonderful Lynne Rae Perkins?

This is a magnificent book. The story carries us from present day America into life at the time of John Chapman. We spend time with Chapman and come to know him by the legacy he left for us: use what you have, share what you have, respect nature, try to make peace where there is war, and you can reach your destination by taking small steps.

Beautiful.

4.0 out of 5 stars A positive message told through the legacy of Johnny Appleseed, October 4, 2012
Valerie Jones (Southern California) - See all my reviews
In this book, the fast paced world we live in is put on hold to tell the tale of Johnny Appleseed. Using the life and examples that John "Appleseed" Chapman set in his travels across America planting apple trees, a wider moral story is told among the bright and uniquely illustrated pages.

Part fact, part fiction, the tale of Johnny Appleseed's travels across the United States usually focuses solely on apples. In Seed by Seed, a more in depth look at the man, John Chapman, provides a greater detailed account of his deeds and the influence he had on shaping the nation in his small way. Primarily by leaving five examples to follow: Use what you have, share what you have, respect nature, try to make peace where there is war, and you can reach your destination by taking small steps.

Codell uses these examples to highlight some of the lesser known details of what Chapman did during his lifetime. As she shifts the focus away from apples and towards the strong moral man he was, children learn of his love of nature and animals, his storytelling and books he shared, and his relationship between Native Americans and the pioneers.

The legend of Johnny Appleseed is known by many school children, although I believe that number is currently declining, and Codell does a great job of reviving his legend. The message is clear. Johnny Appleseed is not just a legend, but a real man who made a difference in the world seed by seed, and deed by deed.

Included are some fun apple inspired activities to celebrate the anniversary of John "Appleseed" Chapman and an apple pie recipe.

Recommended for readers age 4-8.

baseballvalbooks.wordpress.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book!, October 1, 2012
I love the drawings and wonderful words about the great Johnny Appleseed. What a great dude! Make an apple pie (recipe included at end of the book), get three scoops of vanilla ice cream, and read this book with your friends!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice story, nice illustrations, January 27, 2014
I'm a Johnny Appleseed fan and it was good to see some attention paid to his Swedenborgian beliefs in addition to his role spreading apples.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty picture book, May 22, 2013
The Lord is good to me, and so I thank the Lord for giving me the things I need: the sun, the rain, and the appleseed.

This book looks at the life you live and the lives you inspire. It's more than a biography -- it is meant to change the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars a book to pass down, January 19, 2013
Lovely. As a Thanksgiving present for my Ohio sister who hosts many children for Thanksgiving and has a wonderful collection of kiddie books to engage them, this was perfect. The illustrations are very well done. Nice and colorful, and the transition from the "olden days" to now intrigued our kids. The narrative succeeds in informing the kids without sounding like a text book. I would recommend this highly for any age. The pictures please preschoolers, older kids will read and reread the story, and adults are fond of reading it as a "coffee table" book. Well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect bedtime story, December 30, 2012
Sita (Carlsbad, CA) - See all my reviews
Calming book, short to read. Nice summary of a life well spent. Instills appreciation of the good others have done in this world. Recommend for 5-9 year olds.

Seed by Seed: The Legend and Legacy of John "Appleseed" Chapman
Seed by Seed: The Legend and Legacy of John "Appleseed" Chapman by Esme Raji Codell (Hardcover - August 21, 2012)
$16.99 $14.95