Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer TL256 TL256 TL256  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

Format: Audible Audio Edition|Change
Price:$23.95

VINE VOICEon March 15, 2012
Jason is back home, after returning from his adventures in Lyrian. But knowing Rachel is still there and in possible danger, Jason manages to cross back to Lyrian the same way he got there last time - through the mouth of a hippo. Meanwhile, Rachel is developing her magical talents, and it's soon apparent she has more potential than anyone thought possible. The two Beyonders must eventually meet up with the Blind King and start a quest to bring together sympathetic kingdoms to rebel against Maldor.

Second in the Beyonders trilogy that began with A World Without Heroes, Seeds of Rebellion brings back many familiar characters as well as some new that quickly became favorites. Mull's creative world of Lyrian has a fantastic array of unique races, some familiar with a new twist. A favorite character is Ferrin, a displacer who can remove body parts at will without harm, who is completely honest about his traitorous tendencies yet wants to remain loyal to Jason.

This quality epic fantasy is geared towards a younger crowd but can be enjoyed by readers of all ages. A quest-based fantasy, the adventure is even-paced and woven with complexity. Plenty of mystery, suspense, magic, and humor make this sequel even more enjoyable than the first. As a fan of Mull's Fablehaven series, I can't get enough of his bold characters, amazing worldbuilding, and quality storytelling. The novel ends with a cliffhanger and plenty of build-up that will leave readers with high expectations for the third and final installment.
on March 15, 2012
As I read Seeds of Rebellion for the first time, I kept encountering the same themes that entwined themselves into my character when I read The Lord of the Rings (repeatedly) as a teenager. It seems that many answers to life's challenges within the pages of a great fantasy novel, and I don't mean that disconnect from reality that comes from walking through Middle Earth or Lyrian as your imagination grows with the story. I mean things like learning that the best way out of a problem is through it, that "Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt," (Gandalf), and that integrity is stronger than fear of power.

WIthout taking anything away from The Lord of the Rings, I think Beyonders will probably reach a wider audience while passing the same worthwhile values on to a generation that faces more darkness than mine ever did, give them the tools they need to be strong when things look tough - and have a good time doing it, if they develop the kind of humor Brandon Mull's characters display when faced with theirs.
on March 13, 2012
Jason's home, but it's getting pretty boring being home, and he can't forget about Rachel, mostly because her parents are doing such a great job keeping her disappearance in the media. He feels bad that he can't share with them that she's okay. Jason keeps going back to the zoo and visiting the hippo in the hopes that the same gateway to Lyrian will open for him again, but he hasn't had any luck. Until one day, he's staring at the hippo when the little boy next to him remarks about the music that he's hearing. Jason hadn't even noticed the music to this point, but as soon as the little boy talked about it, he knew exactly who was playing the music, Tark. He jumps into the water and...nothing. The hippo doesn't seemed inclined to open his mouth, even with Jason beating it. Jason swims to the top of the water, where all the spectators tell him that he's crazy to be in the water with the hippo, and all of a sudden the hippo opens his mouth and swallows him, again. Thus begins Jason's second journey to Lyrian. It will of course be fraught with all kinds of danger, from spies, and lurkers to zombies and of course, Maldor. This was an amazing book! I love the worlds and all the crazy characters that Brandon Mull has imagined. I thought that this book was better than the first of this series. I enjoyed all the action and the suspense. I enjoyed the way the book ended and the way that the ending seems as though good will always conquer evil.
on July 15, 2012
Remember the first time you saw "Jurassic Park?" Remember the scene when Ellie and Alan are first on the island, riding in the jeep and Ellie is preoccupied with the leaf of some giant plant, trying to figure out how it could possibly exist? The jeep slows to a stop and Alan stands slowly, his hands trembling as he pulls off his sunglasses. He reaches for Ellie's head and turns her so she can see what he is seeing. It is their first glimpse and our first glimpse of the dinosaurs of Jurassic Park.

At the time, the special effects were so convincing, it felt like we were there with Ellie and Alan that we too were experiencing that joy at seeing something no one had seen in millions of years.

It is the beauty of discovering a new world and it is why sequels to such movies or books often pale in comparison. The new has worn off.

I felt that way reading Brandon Mull's "Seeds of Rebellion," the second in his Beyonders series. I had first discovered Mull in reading his Fablehaven series, a series I feel he ended too soon and so when he started a new series with "A World without Heroes," I was all on board. In general I have not enjoyed the Beyonders series as much as I did Fablehaven. I still highly recommend each book in the Fablehaven series.

The Beyonders series begins with "A World without Heroes" and without spoiling too much, follows two Beyonders--kids from our world--as they travel to a new and mystical land. The plot revolves around finding different syllables to a word that will destroy an evil wizard. Again, hopefully without too much spoilage, said word plays a part in the sequel too.

Brandon Mull excels at world building, perhaps not with the finesse or sheer joy that J.K. Rowling brings to her novels, but stunning in its own ways. Mull creates creatures like Lurkers, murderous shades and Displacers, who can remove body parts at will. His world includes half giants and in "Seeds of Rebellion," even zombies.

In the first book, Jason was the primary focus and in "Seeds of Rebellion," Mull seems to want to focus more on Rachel who is discovering new found powers. But the primary flaw of this novel is the overabundance of characters. I had a hard time keeping up with them or even remembering the ones from the last book. When certain characters died, I had a hard time caring because Mull had not spent sufficient time making me care about them. I wasn't invested in their lives.

The other problem with "Seeds of Rebellion" is that is seems like too much of a transitional novel, a book meant only to get characters to certain points so something big could happen in a later book. There was some action, but mostly characters spend far too much time talking, and, as I said before, really fascinating characters like Aram are built up in the beginning only to disappear in the crowd as Mull adds more and more new people.

Still, it's a good enough series to stick with and I do want to know what happens next.
on February 18, 2016
This series is awesome! We have been reading it to our 12 year old and 10 year old as a family. When I have to stop reading it's always to a chorus of awwwww's. The characters are well thought out and have so much personality that you can really imagine them and what their reactions would be. The characters have a way of getting you to root for them and hope for them to prevail. The plots have twists and turns that keep you on the edge of your seat and not wanting to put the book down. The book has rich descriptions of the scenes that really get you in the drivers seat. We Love reading this book as a family and can't wait for the next one in the series. We can't wait to see what other series this author has written. Our family definitely has a new author on our favorites list. The book has mystery, intrigue fantasy, action. There's really something for everyone in it.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon April 22, 2012
Okay, I gave book one of the "Beyonders" series a fairly good review. It had it's flaws and the pacing of the first book was very slow. So I expected the second book to be at least good and better than the first. But this book surprised me. In fact I can see now that with both books together, book one is actually improved. "Seeds of Rebellion" uses all the plot setup from book one and takes it to the highest level. I can see what I thought as a plodding pace in book one, actually was necessary to set book two up to be almost perfect.

So I take back all the negatives I mentioned in my book one review. "Seeds of Rebellion" makes me anxious for the last book in this series. Brandon Mull develops his characters so well that you actually worry/care about what will happen to them. Much like his "Fablehaven" series, you want the keep reading to see what happens next. And this book is so fast paced and well written it is like three books in one. So much happens here that I was simply amazed at the talent of Brandon Mull. Everything just flowed as the plot thickened.

I really enjoy all the imaginative races and new characters in this book. The story is getting more complex and deeper as book two unfolds. I feel now that book three will just be spectacular. Highly recommend this series.
on June 2, 2014
I love Brandon Mulls books! This series shows more depth and better character development than his earlier works. Don't get me wrong, Fablehaven is a series I absolutely adore, but there were a few things about the different characters that just didn't have enough of a learning arc throughout multiple books. I still enjoy reading them again, but in this new series his writing skills are getting even better!! The storyline is new and exciting, the characters grow and develop well from book to book, and the new twists to old fairytale creature are great! He has invented some great new cultures and races that are so different and fun! The world that we travel to is descriptive and captured my imagination hard and fast! I was IN the books, unable to return to reality for long stretches of time! I suggest all of his works to my friends and even strangers in stores who are searching with their kids for a great universe for them to explore! Keep up the great work Brandon Mull!!
on April 8, 2012
Once again, Brandon Mull has created a fantasy world that his readers can become lost in. As a huge fan of the Fablehaven series, I was excited when the first Beyonders book was released, and was not disappointed. Before Seeds of Rebellion came out, I reread World Without Heroes and enjoyed it even more the second time. Jason and Rachel continue their quest to destroy Maldor and, with an entourage of characters who return from the first book as well as several newly introduced characters, they embark on a Lord of the Rings-esque endeavor. A fast paced, page-turner, I finished this book in just a couple of days. The only con is that it will be a full year before I can read the conclusion.
on May 17, 2012
My wife and I read this book together. Sure...doing so took a few extra weeks, but it was great to share in the wonder of Lyrian and the creativity of Brandon Mull. I can't say that the concepts were all unique...however some of the races are highly imaginative. The action scenes are intense and well written...and the heroics are fantastic. Overall another excellent product of one of the greatest fantasy authors of our day. Kicks JK Rowlings arse!
on November 20, 2014
This is the second of the Beyonders series by Mull. I have the complete 3-book series in both hardcover and audiobook, and we love it. The writing is tight and clean, the story is very original, fun and appropriate for almost all ages. In this book, much as he is glad to be back home, Jason has to figure out how to get back to the world of Lirian because he has learned something vital to the friends he left behind. Thus begins a new quest to defeat Maldor and bring peace and freedom to this magical world.