5.0 out of 5 stars Seekers, the new series by Erin
I really enjoyed reading this book. I've been reading Warriors since I was barely eight years old, and long since have the Erins been my favorite authors. I had mixed feelings when I heard about Seekers, though. Bears? Seekers? What is it about? Will it affect Warriors? And a *fourth* Erin?
But I wasn't disappointed with this! The characters are richly drawn out,...
Published on June 9, 2008 by Melissa L. Brooks

3.0 out of 5 stars Please, seek a different book
Firstly, I have to say that Erin Hunter is an excellent writer and her Warriors series are equally excellent. I'm surely a fan of her works...
Published on September 28, 2008 by She who Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Seekers, the new series by Erin, June 9, 2008
But I wasn't disappointed with this! The characters are richly drawn out, first with Kallik, a gentle, playful polarbear cub surviving the harsh arctic with her mother and brother. Then Lusa, a young and loving black bear cub living where she was born, in a zoo's Bear Bowl (she longs for the wild). Finally there's Toklo, a grizzly bear cub (who reminds me alot of Jaypaw from Warriors)who just wishes his mother, Oka, would pay more attention to him and less to his sickly brother Tobi.
I liked how the chapters would switch from Kallik, Lusa, and Toklo, leaving you always wondering what's going to happen next to each of them. And Tui Sutherland does a good job of making it sound 'Erin.'
This was a good beginning for the start of an epic quest, not to disappoint it's fans in the future!
The plot was good with not alot of filler (hardly any), and like I said before all the characters are wonderful. My only regret is how sad the book was. Kallik loses her mother and brother, then gets taken in by another she-bear, Nanuk, only to lose her, too. Lusa almost loses her mother Ashia. And, just as sad as Kallik's loss, Toklo's sickly brother dies and his mother abandons him, soon to regret it and to be only reunited in death.
So it was sad, but with its better parts. If you love Warriors like me then you will love Seekers, too. Even if you aren't one of Erin's fans (yet), you should try it!

4.0 out of 5 stars A promising start..., June 15, 2008
A Kid's Review
Erin Hunter has done it again.

I am a huge fan of her Warriors series, pre-ordering most of them, etc. She (or they!) is an exceptional writer. I had high hopes for her new series, Seekers, though I wasn't sure what to expect when I started to read the first book.

Many people who have read this book note the losses and the pain of the main characters. I agree, the losses are intense and can be a bit harsh, but they are balanced out by the excitement that they bring. I turned the pages eagerly as I read, drinking in the emotions and fear.

This book was not up-to-par with Warriors. I could not relate to many of the bears, the storyline was not as fantastic, and the author(s) is apparently so used to writing about cats that she makes a few mistakes, such as when one of the bears gets angry, it "bristles" as cats do (this made me laugh); as far as I know, bears don't really bristle. But she had obviously researched bears decently, and the book, for the most part, was very well-written.

If you are a fan of the Warriors series, I recommend this book and applaud Erin Hunter on her new idea. "The Quest Begins" marks a very promising start, and let's hope that she can keep it up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and Savage Nature, September 19, 2008
The Quest Be (Seekers, Book 1)

The first book in the Seekers series is rich and beautiful. It can seem a little preachy when it comes to the environmental impact of humans, but regardless of being a little heavy handed in that regard, I still think this is a wondeful and worthy book.

Three different bears face hardship and struggles of their own, and the book shows in great detail the world from the bear's perspectives, which is often interesting considering that we're so used to seeing it from our own view as humans.

This book does contain some harsh elements, but this is necessary to show the reality of how nature really is. Nature is both beautiful and harsh, and so is this book.

I get the sense that these bears share a destiny not unlike the destiny shared by Jaypaw, Lionpaw, and Hollypaw in the Power of Three series.

4.0 out of 5 stars read, March 6, 2011
This review is from: Seekers #1: The Quest Begins (Kindle Edition)
i am twelve years old and i loved this book. it has good and bad parts and at the end of each chapter there is a cliff hannger or an felling to read more. i am going to read the second book . if i were you i would read this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Please, seek a different book, September 28, 2008
Just not this one. Seekers has its exciting moments, but honestly, its a letdown. The characters are two-dimensional and I can't really feel for them on an emotional level like I could in her warriors books. They just seem so...naive and helpless, really. Almost verging on pathetic.
And how they took off characters left and right? I found that very harsh and a little unnecessary. My main problem was the shape-shifting cub (or is he a fish, eagle, or human...?!) whose name I can't pronounce. What I liked about warriors was that its realistic...this was just way out of proportion.
Was it worth the buy? No. But it's worth reading, for the educational parts about the stae of the world's different environments of the bears and whatnot and the few moments of suspense. Will I read the sequel? When it hits the libraries I guess - I advise you to do the same. It was a decent book. Not good, not great. Decent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review by Tea and Tomes, March 1, 2011
Ria (Bibliotropic) (Saint John, New Brunswick Canada) - See all my reviews
This book was as familiar, stylistically, as the Warriors books, which isn't surprising but certainly was welcome. I know sometimes authors use a new series as an excuse to go in completely different stylistic directions, and I was glad to see that this wasn't the case.

The story itself is fairly simple. Three bears, Kallik, Lusa, and Toklo, all have no parents with them for one reason or another, and all are on a quest to follow the north star to some place that they've heard is good for them. None of them have met yet, though undoubtedly they will at some point. All have their own stories, their own personalities and clearly definied characters. Unsurprising, there.

What did surprise and impress me most of all was Toklo's story. Books by Erin Hunter have a habit of dealing with some very hard issues, like violence, death, and loss, and this is no exception, except that Toklo ended up dealing with a distant mother who was mentally unbalanced and depressive due to the loss of one of her cubs. Enjoy, kiddies. But that wasn't what interested me. No, what interested me most was the introduction of Ujurak, the shapeshifter with a nebulous past, a childlike personality, and no idea of why he can shapeshift into just about any animal he comes across. Erin Hunter has dealt with animal spirituality before, usually with acceptance that the spiritual world is a real one that can be interacted with, but Ujurak was new and interesting to me, bridging worlds and ideas, and I'm most interested to see more of his character and how his part in the story plays out.

Though Hunter's books are for children, they can certainly be enjoyed by an older crowd without much difficulty, which I think is a mark of a good author. (Or in this case, group of authors.) I definitely want to check out the rest of the Seekers series when I can, and hopefully they'll all be as interesting as this introduction.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love bears, the wild, or great writing, this is for you, February 8, 2011
This review is from: Seekers #1: The Quest Begins (Kindle Edition)
This series is absolutely addictive. It was my introduction to Erin Hunter, (creator of the Warriors series). It's about three bears plus a shapeshifting fourth bear who meet and embark on a quest of which they are unsure. All they really know is that it's something they must accomplish. Like anything worth doing, it's hard work and the bears suffer tremendously but overcome obstacles and stay together, growing to appreciate each other's strengths and differences.

What this book really helped me understand was how very hard it is to be a bear in today's world. Resources are diminishing as land is being taken over by humans for their purposes - leaving bears with very little ground left to call their own, and as a result, dwindling food.

We know for a fact from news stories that polar bears in particular are finding it harder and harder to find food and rising deaths of polar bears in Canada's north are an ongoing news item.

Read this and understand more about bears than you ever will by going to a zoo!

4.0 out of 5 stars Three Bears Without Goldilocks, March 26, 2009
A Kid's Review
"Seekers - The Quest Begins" is the story of three very different bear cubs. All of the bears are searching for something. Kallik, a female polar bear, is searching for the brother she was separated from when their mother was killed. Lusa, a female black bear, is searching for a friend's cub (Toklo) to deliver an important message. Toklo, a tough brown bear, has been ditched by his mother and is searching for a way to survive and get over it. There is plenty of action. Kallik survives being hunted by killer whales, captured by people and even a helicopter crash. Lusa escapes from a zoo to start her journey. She longs to live in the "wild", but she really doesn't understand it. All she knows are the stories she's heard from the other bears in the zoo, which may not even be true. She must learn to hunt for food and stay away from other bears' territories. Toklo learns to catch salmon, and to avoid cars, bigger bears and people. He also learns to make friends. All of the bears' stories begin in Canada. Although the book doesn't say it, there is map in the book that helps us. It is fun to try and figure out where the cubs are on their journeys, especially if you've ever traveled to Canada before (I have). Most of the story takes place in the forest or "wild", but some events happen in places where people (or flat-faces as the bears call us) live. In the end, only part of the conflict is resolved. Lusa finds Toklo and delivers the message from his mother. However, Kallik's story is left unfinished. The book is the first in a series. I enjoyed seeing the world from the bears' side. It was funny to read their descriptions and try and figure out what they were talking about in human words. For example, they call cars "firebeasts". The book did have a lot of sad parts though: animals dying, animals starving and being hunted. If reading about animals being hurt upsets you, you won't want to read this book. Submitted by Julia B.

2.0 out of 5 stars Erin Hunter has to stop while she's behind...., September 9, 2008
A Kid's Review
Okay, so my friend bought this book and read it, then let me borrow it. I finished it in a few days and decided this:
Erin Hunter's works have really gone down hill....
I thought it was great how Hunter showed us the reality of what wild bears are currently going through due to mankind's disregard to the environment, but the way she shot down characters one by one, that whole Ujurak thing...it makes very little sense. My friend and I both decided we aren't going to bother with the rest of the series, to be honest. It was well written and all, but I just couldn't get in to it..it wasn't gripping enough I guess.
Warriors still takes the cake..and I don't even LIKE cats.

2.0 out of 5 stars This fell short, July 18, 2008
This book seemed to fall short for my 13-year-old granddaughter. She is an avid fan of Erin Hunter's Warrior series', and has read them all. She really looked forward to the beginning of this series, but said she "just didn't get into it". Perhaps because she's so interested in the Warriors books, she's not able to make the jump from cats to bears.

Seekers #1: The Quest Begins