5.0 out of 5 stars An intelligent and tender exploration of the seekers' path
Published on June 18, 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars A Struggling Seeker
I am about two-thirds into The Seeker's Guide. I read 10 - 20 pages per day. The subject matter is very interesting to me. However, I'm finding the writing tedious. I often re-read exerpts and have difficulty with Ms. Lesser's personal reactions to everything she has experienced. I find myself wanting to know her experiences but not her evaluation. She's traveled a...
Published on July 30, 2008 by C. Kranz

5.0 out of 5 stars An intelligent and tender exploration of the seekers' path, June 18, 1999
By A Customer
I have been to many "new age" workshops and have read tons of the books available on self-help and spirtuality. Some of it was great, but often I felt as if something was missing. I wondered what relevance the spirtual journey had to my psycholigical growth and I worried that my concerns with psychology were too self-absorbing. Lesser captures the essence of this tension in her book. She looks at how the spiritual and psychological path can intersect in a way that anyone can understand - and she does it so well that I found myself actually saying "ah ha!" as I read along. She also speaks in a frank, candid way about the "new age" movement, and that is really refreshing. It sounds like she has met absolutely everybody in the field and talks about them all as human beings instead of big stars. What a relief!
I also really liked her own story, because it made me see how much we are all seekers on a path. The way she talks about her ups and downs makes the rest of what she says seem even more real. You can tell that she has a great feeling for anyone who is out there trying to figure things out in their own way. It was encouraging. She wrote one part about a poem she and her husband return to whenever they have to make a dificult decision because it has a message that they learn from again and again. I was really struck by the simplicity of doing that and I thought, "wow, I could do that!" There were a bunch of those stories -she talked about things she did to keep herself on track that were simple, but took some thought, and reading them inspired me.
I guess that is really the bottom line. If anyone is on a path or thinking about learning more about different ways of exploring spirituality and self growth, this book is a real inspiration. It is also packed with a lot of information, as she quotes so many other teachers and writes about a lot of different traditions. I was impressed by how much she packed into it.
She also writes about the Omega, which I had never heard of. It sounds like a fasinating place so I was glad to find out about it.
Bottom line is, I recommend it - especially if you are one of those people who is yearning for some kind of spiritual connection or a more peaceful place inside yourself and you just don't know where to get started. It was really good.
I noticed I was the only one in the review area - anybody else out there read it?

5.0 out of 5 stars A Map of the New American Spiritual World, May 22, 2000
By A Customer
Eliabeth Lesser's book, The New American Spirituality, is a highly readable, thoroughly informative, and deeply felt dispatch from the frontier of America's ever-evolving spiritual journey. As a cofounder of Omega Institute in Rhinebeck, New York, Lesser has been in the thick of it for almost 30 years, organizing workshops and conferences nationwide, meeting and nurturing extended relationships with the leaders in the field--from Maya Angelou to Ram Dass--and helping put together the nation's largest and most successful learning center that seeks to explore and weave together many of the emerging threads of a country in the throes of perhaps the most extraordinary spiritual rebirth since the nineteenth-century Great Awakening. So much more than an academic treatment of the subject, this book is also part memoir and part guidebook. It is perhaps no accident that Omega Institute began in a small, white clapboard settlement that had belonged to the Shakers, who even in their heyday were considered a fringe movement. But much of what was once marginal about Omega is now moving into the mainstream. After defining spirituality and its context in American life, a good part of the book is then devoted to grounding the often ethereal world of spirituality in four different "landscapes"--the landscape of the mind, the landscape of the heart, the landscape of the body, and the landscape of the soul--which provide a kind of map to guide us through this exciting, rich, though often strange new world. Although she's a member of the cast and applauds a world she helped create, she does not suffer fools or pander to the excesses that this so-called "new age" movement throws up and expects us to admire. She makes us laugh, and laughs with us. This is a big book and, if you like, can be read in sections that happen to appeal to you at a particular time. But you'll want to read the whole thing and come back to it like you would a spiritual practice. The repeated visits are sure to nourish you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seeker's Guide is Tour de Force, January 27, 2001
Susan U. (Shokan, New York USA) - See all my reviews
Institutions of religion and learning take note: Elizabeth Lesser's "Seeker's Guide" is proof positive that personal experience is equal to tradition and scholarship as a pathway to truth. Elizabeth's life of seeking, organizing, promoting and teaching spirituality is disclosed beautifully in this multifaceted work. She shows by her own story, by her inspiring writing, and by her practical guidelines for meditation how ordinary mortals can create the sacred space for spiritual fulfillment in their own lives. Readers will find scripts for specific spiritual objectives, pearls of wisdom for the refrigerator, models for parenting, friendship, and marriage, holistic prescriptions for mental and physical health, deep prayers, profound wisdom, and the best bumper-sticker slogans in the universe. Her use of resources is erudite without pedantry or scholasticism. The book is at once a spiritual autobiography, a systematic theology of spiritual formation, and a useful handbook for spiritual practice. Personalities of some of our greatest spiritual leaders come to life as real people in the mix. If Elizabeth had only shared with us what she has learned from her years at Omega Institute, that would have been plenty, but she has also added her own powerful voice to the rising chorus of teachers and leaders of the New American Spirituality. Seekers who pick up her book will turn every page to the end and say, give us more, Elizabeth!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Balanced and Objective Read on Spirituality, December 2, 1999
By A Customer
If you are looking for a book that explores spirituality in an objective and healthy fashion, you will be hard-pressed to find a better book. This book is not about Religion or any specific doctrine, it is about spirituality - current Religions are briefly mentioned within a proper context.
If you are a seeker, you will find this book particularly valueable. If you are looking for a book that will tell you the 'Best' religion and why that's so, this is not the book for you.
This is a healthy and heartfelt book written by an author with lots of personal experience to share. To an open mind, this book is a breath of fresh air. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The right book at the right time, July 16, 1999
By A Customer
Cross cultural awareness, an appreciation of the common truths underpinning various religious traditions practiced in America today, and an integrative grasp of the relationship between human psychology and spirituality -- all are present in Lesser's inspirational work. She combines practical spiritual advise, with wisdom, gained while meeting the challenges of her own personal spiritual journey. Her insights, into the withering effects of a predominately patriarchal work environment on the souls of working women, are particularly enlightening and validating. "The New American Spirituality" is definitely a keeper -- a "must read" for the modern American spiritual seeker.

5.0 out of 5 stars One OF The Best Books On Spirituality- The Bare Bones., April 11, 2008
Bhavani Brown "Bhavani" (Windham, NH United States) - See all my reviews
I love this book and used it quite often in a meditation class I was facilitating. I especially loved Elizabeth's personal description on her 'good and bad meditation'-- I don't have the book close at hand so this is how I remember what it was called. Basically Elizabeth explains it beautifully - to accept yourself throughout the practice of meditation without any self-loathing...."Because when we speak about spiritual practice, like meditation, for example, we use the word "practice" because it's practice for living." ~Elizabeth Lesser(from an interview).

The New American Spirituality: A Seeker's Guide contains much more than other books on the subject of spirituality. It is excellent for someone seeking information on the subject of religious study. A well done reference book illuminating us on the many forms of religion and spirituality. Excellent quotes are included from many teachers, sages...plain good information regarding various religious traditions. Quite the handbook!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic spirit food, March 20, 2000
By A Customer
What I love about this book is I can open it anywhere and be nourished, drawn back into my spiritual core. Yes, it covers a lot of ground but it does so beautifully, accurately, and with great honesty. And reading the personal story of the author is very compelling. I keep this book by my bedside and dip into it often.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very transformational work of great genius!, September 4, 1999
By A Customer
This is a very comprehensive guide to spiritual transformation. Where most authors write about spirituality and exclude the body, Elizabeth brilliantly includes it as part of the spiritual puzzle of who we are--Del Millers, author, Dancing with God.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Spirtual Experience, September 27, 2000
L Potler (Silver Spring, MD) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed reading this book. I found the writing to be calming and uplifting... a way to reconnect with what's important. The whole book can be viewed as a spiritual tool as well as the components which include suggested methods/sources, etc. Although it is a hefty book (400+ pages I believe), I was sorry to see it come to an end. I would heartily recommend this book to others! Thanks, Elizabeth, for sharing so much of your personal journey and your far-reaching wisdom!

5.0 out of 5 stars !, June 23, 1999
By A Customer
I've been to Omega a few times, but this book really convinced me that spirituality is something people should explore and embrace. Our culture is obsessed with all the wrong things. Lesser explores a world in which we co-exist and live completely. Interesting and inspriational.

The Seeker's Guide (previously published as The New American Spirituality)
The Seeker's Guide (previously published as The New American Spirituality) by Elizabeth Lesser (Paperback - October 3, 2000)
$15.95 $11.93