5.0 out of 5 stars Simply True
Published on August 1, 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow reading covering basic topics.
I was assigned this book for a study group. It is very dense and slow. We were going to discuss it a chapter at a time, but decided to do it in 3 sessions to get on to other sources.
Published 18 months ago by Janet Malcolm

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply True, August 1, 1999
By A Customer
I picked up the pocket version of this book one day and happened to open to the page which talks about the accumulation of material items and the transitory happiness it brings -- how once the novelty of the item has worn off we go about buying more things-- all in the hopes of stimulating that "happiness" response. Boy did that hit the nail on the head!! I had to get the full length version and it has been very enlightening. A definte must for anyone who is at a point in their life where they are questioning their purpose, their "path" and want to know what to do to effect change. I loved it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to understand, July 8, 2009
Kat in a Hat (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seeking the Heart of Wisdom: The Path of Insight Meditation (Shambhala Classics) (Paperback)
I've read many books recently on Buddhism and meditation. I find quite a few of them hard to read; there are many says like, "it is your breath, but it is not your breath" that I try very much to wrap my head but never quite do. This book is much more straight forward for a western reader. I found it very easy to read and follow. It covers a lot, and I will probably have to reread chapters after I've done more zazen sitting, but it really is accessible and well written. If you are looking for a beginner's guide to Buddhist principals and teaching and want to start sitting meditation in a meaningful way, this is the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A clear guide from people who truly understand the reality of meditation, June 11, 2007
I was very impressed with the authors' ability to address concerns that I have had with meditation in the past: specifically, that meditation often sounds like an escape from reality, or a numbing mechanism that shields one from reality. The authors speak from a depth of experience when they explain that meditation is like "learning to surf": there will always be waves in life, and insight meditation provides a method of learning to "surf" those waves and remain standing. The authors admit that a successful meditation practice doesn't get rid of the problems inherent in day-to-day living. It simply equips us with the means to deal with problems as they arise in the moment.

Kora

toseeaworld.googlepages.com

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite book on meditation, January 8, 2012
M. Shuman "Dilbert Fan" (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
This book kicked off meditation for me. It is easy to follow and offers lots of helpful guidance to deepening your meditation and bringing more meaning to life. One of those books I go back to when I need help centering.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful understanding of the hows and whys of meditation, January 26, 2013
I love the simple and direct understanding the authors impart as to how to begin Vipassana, the core elements and components. This seems like a training manual, for those of us who cannot attend a training seminar. I really appreciate the deepening of my understanding in just the first few pages. Mindfulness has made a huge difference in the way I see m own life and how i work with clients in psychotherapy. I highly recommend this bok, and anything by Jack Kornfield.

5.0 out of 5 stars A meditation, March 29, 2011
This is an insightful book. I am drawn to eastern philosophy. I love the quiet thoughtfulness that this book illuminates for the reader. Just reading it would make me feel peace. I loved it. Terri Jo Lorz

5.0 out of 5 stars a great guide to vipassana, March 8, 2007
well-written, I liked the collaboration and different pearls of wisdom from the two authors. A very helpful book for understanding the full implications of karma and the Four Noble Truths of the Buddha.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvelous, June 5, 2013
Having started meditation 30 years ago with Transcendental meditation, I found Vipassana meditation and started with Kornfield's Meditation for Beginners. Seeking the Heart of Wisdom is a great step up! Expansion on dealing with Hindrances, and visual descriptions of memnonics for the process. Super!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gratitude, March 6, 2014
I am enjoying this informative and insightful read. Helpful tools for utilizing meditation and breaking down my concerns and doubts.
Recommend this book to anyone interested in mindfulness and compassion for others and self.
I will be purchasing more for gifts!
Metta

5.0 out of 5 stars Gift, December 28, 2012
The recipient is into meditation and considers this author one of the best and highly respected. It arrived promptly. Thanks

$18.95 $15.13