Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now Tikes

Seeking recommendations for books on Partisan activity in Eastern Europe during WWII

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 28, 2011 1:56:01 AM PDT
Eric Wozniak says:
I don't know if such a book exists but I'd love to find out more about the paramilitary resistance activities during WWII-- especially within the areas (Byelorussia, Estonia, Ukraine, etc.) discussed in this amazing book (Bloodlands) -- but also in the former Yugoslavia as I understand there was a large Partisan movement there as well, oh and also the Polish underground resistance e.g. Leśni or the AK. I know that's a bit of a wide net but any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Sep 26, 2011 7:23:47 AM PDT
Have you read Rising 44 by Norman Davies? Excellent book.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 8:46:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 7, 2012 12:43:16 PM PDT
Jan Peczkis says:
I have read over a thousand books dealing with Poland, of which dozens are about guerrilla resistance. I have two Listmanias of self-reviewed books on this subject.

For Polish guerrilla resistance during the Warsaw Uprising, and apart from the Warsaw Uprising, please go to my Listmania: FORGOTTEN WARSAW UPRISING...

For Polish guerrilla warfare throughout the German occupation itself, please go to my Listmania: GUERRILLA WARFARE--THE UNTOLD STORY...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 12:04:33 AM PDT
Another aspect of Polish Resistance that is getting a great deal of interest is the work of Polish espionage. A useful, but somewhat technical starting point to read about this topic is: The Report of the Anglo-Polish Historical Committee, Volume 1 entitled "Intelligence Co-operation between Poland and Great Britain during World War II" published by Valentine Mitchell. This text is the official l history of the subject published in 2005. It does touch on the work of the Polish underground. The publication of this history caused a sensation in 2 respects. Firstly, many of the triumphs in espionage attributed to the French underground was really the work of the Poles. Secondly, the sheer number of operatives the Poles had in the field, their effectiveness and degree of penetration into the highest echelons of the NAZI party, had not been fully appreciated until the publication of the findings of the Committee.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 4:42:40 PM PST
Jan Peczkis says:
Apropos to Polish espionage, please read my Listmania: REAL SPY THRILLERS...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Aug 28, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Bloodlands: Europe Between Hitler and Stalin
Bloodlands: Europe Between Hitler and Stalin by Timothy Snyder (Hardcover - September 1, 2010)
4.5 out of 5 stars (481)