Customer Discussions > Valleys Of Neptune forum

Seems like less than what was promised.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 4, 2010 12:11:41 AM PST
Only 3 of these songs haven't been released before. Everything else is just what, a remix version? I get it, he's been deceased for a long time, RIP, but that's not what's being promised here. It just comes off as the latest in a long line of cash-ins on deceased celebrities. I guess this is good news for those who want it, I would just like to see the marketing be a bit more honest.

Posted on Feb 5, 2010 12:27:27 PM PST
I agree. How about adding a version of the Album in 5.1 surround on a DVD-A. Now that would be interesting, even if it did cost a few bucks more.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2010 12:16:46 PM PST
The holy grail for this long-time Hendrix believer (saw him perform in Paris in 1968!) is the performance in Newark, NJ, right after Martin Luther King's assassination. Does anyone know if a recording of it even exists? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2010 11:33:10 PM PST
Hendrix Fan says:
Apparently no, this was not recorded.

Posted on Feb 18, 2010 4:50:30 AM PST
L. Irish says:
I saw him in White Plains, NY the night of the day Reverend King was assassinated. Really a down trip... but Hendrix was really good. He played a Les Paul for part of the show, which surprised me... I'd only seen him play that white Strat and I'd seen him twice before. Best Hendrix show I saw was Axis Bold as Love tour, from the balcony at Hunter College in NYC. I can still see him, hear him; I don't think it will ever leave me.
I wish that a recording of that show was available, too.
It looks like a "cash-in" to me too, I can only hope the quality and versions are good. I'll probably go for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2010 5:28:06 PM PST
I agree Janie is running for the money. BUT it is Jimi and I love hearing him play even if it has been released before so I'll buy it and listen then return to Electric Ladyland, Axis and Are you Experienced etc. He was/is still one of the greatest who ever played.

Posted on Feb 20, 2010 8:00:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2010 8:01:26 AM PST
C. De Lange says:
I've listened to a prerelease of the CD twice now, and I really love most of it. Amazing after almost 40 years since Jimi's death that an album as strong as this can be released. I know no other artist who left so much in the can. Every song has a surprise. For instance, I love the "8 miles high"-like ending of Stone Free very much. I would rate the album above War Heroes, Loose Ends, Crash Landing, Midnight Lightning and South Saturn Delta ...

Posted on Mar 1, 2010 7:55:32 AM PST
Jimi says:
Pre-ordered

Posted on Mar 1, 2010 9:21:20 AM PST
"Album" has apparently gathered new definitions. "Compliation" is what's here.
I have little knowledge of such things, but if a person were to purchase this album under the auspice that no track has seen prior release, or that no track's specific recording has seen prior release, is there ground for recourse? I'm not trying to throw a stone too far here, I just think I'd feel pretty had when I got home to find a mixtape.

It's a good mixtape.

Posted on Mar 3, 2010 6:09:03 AM PST
Amazon gives an extensive run down of what you are getting. If you don't do your research, you will feel ripped off. I first saw Jimi on his first tour of America at the South Shore Music Tent in Braintree, MA. The seats were canvas and mine was broken so I sat on the edge of the stage, ten feet from the man. He was still an entertainer first and would appreciate what we have the chance to listen to today. I'm buying it.

Posted on Mar 3, 2010 7:55:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 3, 2010 7:56:37 AM PST
S. Johnson says:
After listening to the stream of this album over on iheartradio I'd say it has some pleasant surprises along with a few duds and of course some previously released stuff. overall i'm very stoked to have this stuff, even the tracks i had previously through bootlegs. this widely-publicised cd is not intended just for hardcore fans but is clearly meant to help spread the word about experience hendrix's new business relationship with Sony and their latest re-releases. and Yes the official hype stating that this stuff is all previously unreleased is not true. I think this cd would be an absolute goldmine for a Hendrix newbie and is a nice treat for us Hendrix fanatics. 'ships passing through the night' is the best track for me since it's pretty fully-realized and has got overdubs! most of the stuff on this cd is live-in-the-studio and outside of the old experience classics (which Hendrix mostly rips it up on!) the 'new' tracks like 'cryin blue rain' feature jimi in a restrained mode of playing since he was trying to guide the band through a new composition or jam and therefore have no overdubs...

Posted on Mar 3, 2010 9:56:47 PM PST
J. Regan says:
hey... it's 10$ for a "new" Hendrix cd, what's the big deal! Now the re-released Sony Legacy versions of the Experience Hendrix/MCA remastered albums with the dvd is a rip off. The 97 remasters are fine with me, what could be on the dvd's that we don't already know. I pre-ordered Valleys but don't be a sucker and buy the new cd/dvd combos!

Posted on Mar 8, 2010 2:51:04 PM PST
I don't know, is anyone pumped up and really can't wait for the stores to open tomorrow to get it? I will get it but when I read that they say they have enough stuff in the vaults for another 10 years of releases I have to shake my head. Look I liked South Saturn Delta and about 2/3rds of First Rays, but my best guess is that at best, counting Valleys of Neptune, what is left in the vaults would make a good double cd. Also given the age of the average Hendrix fan (myself included) spreading these releases out over 10 years seems a strange decision.

Posted on Mar 15, 2010 7:56:07 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 15, 2010 8:14:33 AM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Valleys Of Neptune forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Feb 4, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 15, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Valleys of Neptune
Valleys of Neptune by Jimi Hendrix (Audio CD - 2010)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (201)