on October 29, 2013
I'll start with the picture on this TV; with adjustments to your specific likes, it's very good. It took me about a day to find the right settings because I needed to see it in different light, day and night etc. Items or people in focus are crystal clear, while the background can seem a little grainy if you focus on it.

Sound; Boy this was an odd set up. For the built in speakers, they're pretty good. Since I live in a townhouse, back facing speakers are not a good idea, since my neighbors can hear as well as I can. (This applies to bedroom walls too if you mount a TV on opposing walls) I use a sound bar that projects the sound into our living room and my neighbors hear NOTHING. That said, this TV has only a single audio coaxial output and there are not many sound systems where that's compatible. The solution,since we have HD cable, was to wire the sound from the cable box directly to the sound bar (very very simple once I figured that out). I also had to do the same from our DVD player since we did not want the sound to go through the TV when we watched movies. Then we simply shut the sound off on the TV by turning the volume all the way down. Unlike other TVs there is no option to shut off the built in speakers, and pressing "mute" on the remote leaves an icon on the screen.

The remote; works very well, but if you use a universal or cable remote it's difficult if not impossible to find a code for this brand. 40 minutes of a search on the remote has yet to reveal a code that works. I'll keep trying.

The stand: Incredibly well built and easy to attach. Just the base to connect as the trunk or stem is connected right out of the box.

The outer frame around the screen is small and not a distraction. When the TV is off the power light is very bright. The on-unit controls are on the side on the bottom right.

The TV is very thin and for its' size, very lightweight. 31.5 pounds including the box.

Overall, for the money, it's well worth it. I'd like better audio out connections and a remote code, but the picture and price are well worth the buy.

Updated 11/6/13: Found the remote codes! I have Bright House Networks so the code 0178 worked, but here's what I found from the manufacturer:

DIRECTV - 10178
Time Warner Cable - 0178
Philips - 0002

Comcast - 11864 or 10178
Cox Communications - 0178
Atlas DVR Device URC - 0178
Bell Remotes & Dish Network - 505, 506, 516, 523, 526, 566, 573, 612, 627, 647, 652, 653, 654, 655, 656, 658, 659, 664, 665, 667, 669, 670, 679, 680, 704, 717, 730, 738
2323 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 30, 2014
I waited three weeks to receive this tv. And what a disappointment it was. There is no backlight control on the video portion of the main menu. Therefore the picture always looks too bright and the colors a bit washed out. I tried turning off the dynamic luminance control which helped a little bit.

No RGB control. So this tv at times shows a picture that has too much of a blue or green hue at times. No way to adjust it. Blacks are not deep at all. Picture itself appears grainy even after increasing the sharpness settings.

This TV picture is just plain "off". You can see the colors are never right, there is always an imbalance of red, green, or blue. Grainy detail in background. And washed out screen overall due too much backlight.

These picture quality problems might have been fixed if their proper adjustment options are available. However you will not have access to fix them since you can not make any adjustments to the backlight and RGB levels.

This TV has inferior picture quality to my Sceptre 37" TV and my Insignia 39" tv and they are no name brand tv's as well. Please do yourself a favor and look elsewhere if you are looking for a tv with at least "good" picture quality. This TV does not meet that requirement. I've chose to return this TV.

Update: After doing some research online, I found if you go to the main menu and press four digits 0000 it will take you into a second menu which allows you to adjust the backlight under "other settings" and you can also adjust the RGB levels under the "color temperature" option. I'm going to try to do some further calibrating before I decide if I am going to return it or not.

Update #2: I found another option in the secondary options menu found with code 0000 on the main menu. You go to other options, then video curve this option allows you to make adjustments to the high level of contrast and brightness levels this TV comes with out of the box which causes the washed out picture effect. After decreasing the factory settings for brightness and contrast under Video curve option this TV's picture finally came alive.

Contrast pops against a darker background now. No more washed out background. Brightness level is now balanced so TV does not have the gray hazy effect it originally had out of the box.

This Tv has good potential. But you have to show alot of patience with adjustments. My main gripe with this TV is all of the adjustment options should have been readily available in the main menu. But alas, if you press OOOO on the main menu, you will have access to all the additional adjustment options you need to get a great picture out of this Tv.

Update #3 This TV still shows a grainy picture no matter how high I adjust the sharpness settings. I find myself having to put on my glasses just to watch it which I have never had to do with any other TV. TV can show a good picture at times but the blacks just are not deep. Nightime picture looks grey and washed out. TV's contrast appears dull not matter what the setting. TV has the lowest contrast ratio of any 40" LED TV I've looked at.

I've decided to return this TV last week and I since purchased a Sharp 40" LED tv. So my journey continues. If the Sharp does not work out I will just pay up and get a Samsung 40" LED Tv which I know has superior picture quality albeit at a inflated price. Hope this honest review helps everyone who reads the review section. Have a blessed day.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 25, 2013
I was a bit apprehensive when adding this item to my cart. I had done a lot of research on the TV and read every review on every website selling it as I could. I found that they use Samsung parts and Yamaha audio components, making the decision a little easier.

The TV was delivered in just under 48 hours from order time and it appeared to be packed pretty well in it's manufacturer's box. Unpacking and setting up was a breeze. The only complaint I had at this point was that the base went on horizontally skewed and there was nothing I could do about it. At least it was level.

The (3) HDMI ports is perfect for our set up (Digital Cable box, Blu-ray and Apple TV). There are component video inputs but no composite so our Wii would need an adapter which I was able to find on Amazon for about $7.

I turned it on and programmed our cable remote with the codes from Seiki's site. Everything seemed to be going quite well.

The picture quality is excellent. The blacks are very black and there were no bad pixels. The color cast tends toward the blue side and there are no RGB customization settings but I figured as much with this being a lower end TV.

You have Standard, Movie and User profiles for your audio and video settings. In these you can choose color temperature sub-settings. I found "None" or "Warm" to give the best color rendition. I messed with "User" a bit but will come back to it when I have time to properly calibrate it.

Overall, I think this was a solid purchase. The audio is good, not great but I'm going to be installing a sound bar soon so that doesn't really matter to me right now. Movies look great. HD Cable needs some more calibration but I am thinking that might be the cable box. It's just a little too blue and violets are very, well, violet.

I'd recommend this for $339 any day.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 7, 2013
Unlike the other reviewer, I have had no issues with pixelation on the screen. I am primarily using this screen for xbox and as a movie screen for my computer, and it has had no trouble displaying 1080p media at the appropriate resolution. Setup is quick, and the screen is incredibly light for its size, so it is very easy to mount onto a wall bracket if you so desire.

There is a bit of backlight bleed in one of the corners of the screen, and it is most noticeable in low light settings. The TV comes with a couple number of preset color profiles, but I'd recommend calibrating the display to your preferences and your room.

All in all, I think you'd be hard pressed to find another 40" 1080p TV at this time for this cheap.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 16, 2014
If you happen to buy this TV you are nuts!! It's actually fairly sad, too. I purchased this TV from Amazon in November of 2013 for a very good price knowing full well that it might not last too long. For the few months it worked, the picture was actually pretty good. But, as so many others have experienced, it just stopped working one day. No power. Period. End of story. I should have just recycled the TV at that point but felt that Seiki should take care of this issue while the TV was under warranty. That's where things got worse. I must say that Seiki is responsible for one of the worst customer service experiences I've ever had in my life. It's too bad that they eventually returned my calls and emails (after many days) because I probably would have been happier if I never heard back. Suffice it to say, the fact that they claim to offer a warranty is a scam and they try to make you jump through as many hoops as possible to get service which you are entitled to. I actually was silly enough to send the TV back which only resulted in me wasting another $43.00 - throwing good money at bad is a way to put it. I know I'm not in the minority here and that there are plenty of reviews that make this clear but I felt I needed to get my story out there too. I place over 300 orders annually with Amazon and could not be a happier Amazon customer. This is only the second time I have ever felt compelled to share my experiences with something I bought (and the other was a positively glowing review). Hopefully, this will make you understand how horrible my overall experience was without me boring you with the details. Avoid this company and its products like the plague.
on January 14, 2014
So I bought this TV for my own birthday during the HHGregg Memorial Day sale in 2013. I did a lot of research on this brand because frankly I had never heard of it. I read all these phenomenal reviews about how simple it was and how great the picture and sound quality were, so I was really excited when I picked it up from HHGregg. Out of the box the TV looked great, but when I hooked everything up the sound was not playing though the TV. After a hopeless conversation with Seiki's customer service, who insisted I just ship it back to them, and hours of research I discovered that I had to manually reset a setting on my cable box so that the Seiki could understand it.

Not two weeks after the initial audio issue another problem occurred. The TV would randomly shut off only when it seemed like the least opportune time for it to shut off. Once again I called Seiki just for them to tell me that the TV was fine and that I should just turn off my DLC (dynamic light control). So I did, and sure enough the problem persisted. I really didn't want to deal with the hassle of shipping it back to Seiki so I decided to just put up with the random shut offs.

After three grueling months of the aggravating shut offs I noticed a little black dot on the right hand side of the TV. I didn't think anything of it, and though that maybe it was just poor broadcasting. Sure enough it WASN'T and within a few days that black dot became a strip of dead pixels about inch long, and after days turned into weeks the inch long strip now reaches almost across the entire screen.

At that point I had enough of this unreliable pesky TV so I called Seiki to make a claim on their One-Year warranty. This warranty would be great barring a few issues. First of all they want to send me a refurbished TV instead of a new one, and secondly they want ME to pay for the shipping! Shipping from Tallahassee, Fl to CALIFORNIA! The cheapest shipping option I could find was $180, which is practically HALF of what the TV cost me! There is NO WAY I'm paying $180 to get a refurbished TV to replace one that practically came broken.

I've been calling them for hours at a time for about a week and I have yet to speak with someone personally. I've actually spent two hours on hold in total waiting for someone to at least answer. This is probably the most unprofessional company to work with. I've never been so dissatisfied with any product in my life. Thanks for the birthday gift Seiki, I would have appreciate a punch to the stomach instead of this HEADACHE.
on July 21, 2014
This was a Christmas gift for my son. The television worked the month of January and then approximately two more months after he returned home from college. One evening it went black and no matter what was tried, it just stopped functioning. The worst part is, no one answers the phone in Seiki's customer service department! You must leave messages and no one returns a call or an email for that matter. We have complained for two straight weeks and have heard nothing! Thank goodness for Amazon and their customer service department. Buyer beware on this television set!!!!!!
on July 4, 2014
Great TV!!! Low price and best bang for your buck. The picture looks amazing !!! Very lightweight... Make sure once you set it up, you go into settings and change audio settings to Music or Movie- Right out of the box it sounded horrible - Once I switched audio to Movie and activated the surround sound it was wayyyyy better. My son loves his new tv- I am glad I purchased it . Good deal !!!
on October 30, 2013
I had my flat screen tv go out in my living room unexpectedly. I looked up tvs on the internet for weeks before finally rolling the dice on this Seiki. Boom, it paid off. This thing is a great tv. Perfect picture, sound is very loud and clear although I plan on getting a surround sound. Programmed easily to my dtv box and smart blu ray player. This is the cheapest big screen on the market with the best picture. I am sold on Seikis now. Although Sanyo also makes a great 50".
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 10, 2013
We are thrilled with this purchase. Cannot believe we got a LED TV with a 40-inch screen that has such a great pictures for this awesome price. What a GREAT value. We have had it for a month now and cannot say anything poor about it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...