5.0 out of 5 stars Great for my PS3 and blu rays
Published 5 months ago by Anthony Cecchetti

3.0 out of 5 stars "Oooo... I think it looks better!?"
I'm an NOT an A/V Expert. Just a regular dude who likes to play games and watch blu-rays.

With that said, I recently purchased a Seiki 50" 4K TV. I bought this cable hoping to see it upscale my 1080P stuff to 4K.

First things i learned is, make sure you do this.
1) Sharpness should be set to Zero.
2) Motion Estimate and Motion Compensation...
Published 5 months ago by @ZaneSaysThis

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for my PS3 and blu rays, July 14, 2014
This review is from: Seiki SU4KC1 U-Vision Up Converting Cable (Electronics)
Great for a PS3 and blu rays players, it really does mark it up to 4k UHD 3840X2160 (Posted picture on here to prove it). Its not a normal HDMI cord, it has a chip build in it that upscales as well as a USB cord that is attached to the HDMI cord to power it. So those that said all cords are the same really didn't read the description of this item and or look at a picture of it and shouldn't be making a blind judgement call, let alone writing a review. This cord performs great with the new line of Seiki 4k UHD TV, its will not upscale a regular 1080p TV to 4k and that not what its intended for.

Stand out facts:
The cord is 6ft long.
Built in upscaling chip
It has a USB input on one end that plugs in to your TV to power it.

PROS:
4k display for blu rays on PS3 and most blu ray players.
Upscales 720 to 1080p
Will upsale 1080p at 25 to 30hz to 4kUHD
Upscales 720p PS3 games like GTA5 to 1080p 60hz
Upscales Laptop's and PC's to 4k (Must adjust Hz setting to under 30)
PC or Laptop can stream Youtube 4k
Working with Multi out splitters (Tested with:amazon.com/gp/product/B004F9LVXC/)

Cons:
will not upscale 1080p that is over 30hz to 4k
Does not appear to work with Multi In HDMI splitters (tested with: amazon.com/gp/product/B00JIM38HS)

Over all this is a great buy for upgrading existing blu ray players to 4k upscale.

UPDATE 7/18/14
From time to time when you start up a device(PS3) plugged into the U-vision cable it will not display anything and your TV will display no signal found ect, the best fix is to simply unplug the usb cable from your TV and re-plug and it will usually display. From time to time I have to completey reconfigure my PS3 by holding down the power button tell it beeps once and then follow the hdmi settings.

UPDATE 8/3/14
Using this cable with the PS3 can be frustrating at first. To properly configure the PS3 you will have to simply press and hold down the power button until it peeps once, then release it. If you still don't get a picture but have sound unplug the USB end of the cord and replug it in. Use HDMI 2 on Seiki TV's. Once you get a picture for Seiki TV's it will prompt that its a 3d tv and you have to pick the screen size, just select your screen size. After that you are good to go. You will notice a sharper image when streaming Youtube, amazon or netflix. It also upscales 720p like GTA5 to 1080p and it is noticeable.

UPDATE 8/30/14
I've had great success with this cable after going through two separate HDMI splitters, a output and a input splitter. All my gadgets like my PS3, DVD/VHS, wii u, DirecTv are hooked up to a 5-port input splitter then it goes out to a 2-port output splitter. The output splitter uses the U-vision to my TV and gives me another HDMI to use for various things like recording or capturing games. I never have to fool with the cables or unplug them anymore. I did the review on this cable on youtube to my channel's name Xzulas if you want to check it out and check out my splitter config.

3.0 out of 5 stars "Oooo... I think it looks better!?", July 13, 2014
This review is from: Seiki SU4KC1 U-Vision Up Converting Cable (Electronics)

First things i learned is, make sure you do this.
1) Sharpness should be set to Zero.
2) Motion Estimate and Motion Compensation should be set to zero

I bought this and first tested it on my Xbox one which was outputting 1080P 60hz before the u-vision cable. After U-Vision i was naively expecting 4K 30hz, but i still got 1080P 60hz. Well i didn't get this before i bought it, but it can only upscale 1080P 30hz (NOT 1080p 60hz) to 4K 30hz (now i get it!)

The box claims that the cable will still enhance the picture quality of the 1080P 60hz, but i honestly couldn't really tell.

Unfortunately, (or fortunately because why would you want to lower from 60hz to 30hz except in this case) I can't set the Xbox One to 1080P 30hz or 24hz. So instead I used the cable on my PS3.

Using the PS3, i played Dark Knight rises on blu-ray and TADA, the TV indicated that the resolution was not 1080P 24hz or 30hz, but it was at 4K! And i THINK it looked better.

Case in point, I give it 3 stars because it looks like it works, but my eyes can't really tell for sure.

I only post this review for anyone who's a newb like me and wants to see their xbox one output 4K. Welp, maybe you should just try turning your sharpness to 0 and see if it looks better.

OH and it upscales 720P to 1080P. That's pretty neat.

Short Recap

Pros
+ It's only 40 bucks for a upscaler
+ My Seiki definitely recognizes that the signal is now 4K
+ 720P 50/60 to 1080P 50/60
+1080P 24hz/25hz/30hz to 2160P 24hz/25hz/30hz

Cons
- To get 4K, it's gotta be 1080P 24hz/25hz/30hz. My Xbox One can only do 1080p 50hz/60hz.
- 1080P 50hz/60hz outputs 1080p 50hz/60hz (no change pretty much) except with supposed "Picture Quality Enhancement"
- My eyes couldn't see a significant difference when upscaling blu-ray on ps3 from 1080P 24hz to 4K 24hz. I was getting a "oooh. i think it looks better!?" vs the "OMG this is 4k!" i was hoping for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says it'll do, but lags, August 1, 2014
This review is from: Seiki SU4KC1 U-Vision Up Converting Cable (Electronics)
It does what it says it does. I've connected this to my TV through my DVR box, and through my Blu Ray player (I don't own any game consoles so I can't test those). For those claiming they can't tell the difference between this and a standard HDMI cable, yeah you're probably not upconverting anything. It says right on the box which signals are actually upconverted, and to what they get converted to.

Video Conversion Table:
Input: Output:
480p 60hz 1080p 60hz
576p 50hz 1080p 50hz
720p 50/60 1080p 50/60
1080p 50/60 1080p 50/60 (but enhanced, which mostly means sharpening I guess)
1080p 24/25/30 2160p 24/25/30

If your input signal is anything but those listed above, you wouldn't notice a difference because the cable probably isn't doing anything. For instance, some of my TV channels come through in 1080i. Notice, 1080i is not listed on the box, so it doesn't do anything special and just runs in 1080i. If however the channel normally does 720p (which most HD cable channels do) then it upconverts to 1080p and looks significantly better.
When I tested Blu Ray movies the difference was blatantly obvious. I tried 3 movies. 2 were natively 1080p and 1 was 720p. The 720p movie was transformed to 1080p, and the 2 1080's became 4k. I could see the pock marks in Bilbo's face in "The Hobbit 2". Awesome clarity.

Now for the reason I deducted a star:
I feel like there's some lag. It's very minimal, but once you notice it, you can't "un-notice" it. It's like micro-stuttering. I thought maybe the cable wasn't getting enough power, but I tried plugging in the USB to several different power sources and the issue remained so I don't think it's a power issue.
I own a SEIKI 39" 4k TV, and I also own an ASUS 28" 4k 60hz PC monitor. The stuttering occurred both with the TV and with the monitor, so it's not either of my displays that are to blame. Native 4k on my PC works fine (YouTube 4k videos, and PC games).
I also tried hooking up this cable through my PC to see if it'd upconvert YouTube or Netflix, and also to test movies stored on my hard drive.
YouTube does not upconvert. No noticeable difference was seen between this cable and using my normal DisplayPort 1.2 cable (required for 4k 60hz). Netflix I'm happy to report DOES work with this cable, at least when you use a PC to watch it. I tried using the Netflix app on my Blu Ray player, but that did NOT upconvert (actually looked a lot worse, blurry images). On the PC however, if you set your native resolution on your monitor (or TV if using that as a monitor) to 1080p at the afore-mentioned 24, 25 or 30hz, and then start a Netflix movie that's recorded in HD (I watched "Hellboy") then viola, you can definitely see that it is enhanced/upconverted to 4k. Pretty great feature. My current problem is only owning one cable so I then have to decide which device to use it with, lol.
Movies on my HDD also upconverted when I used PowerDVD 14 and of course, the movie had to be in the proper native resolution and refresh rate (based on the table I provided above) for the upconversion to work. Definite image improvements were noticeable.

Finally, I did try playing PC games using this cable to see if there was any effect, but there isn't. Even at 1080p 30hz, I couldn't tell the difference. I imagine that the games' settings override anything the cable might be trying to do, so if the game is set to run at 1080p, that's what it runs at. Not that you'd want to play PC games at 30hz anyway, but I figured I might as well test it.

So that's the gist of it. I would like it if other owners would comment on the lag issue. I'm quite surprised I don't see it mentioned in any of the other reviews, or on Google anywhere. It's at least possible I got a bad cable, or not a fully functional one anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars BIG DIFFERENCE! !!!!!'', April 25, 2014
This review is from: Seiki SU4KC1 U-Vision Up Converting Cable (Electronics)
I own a SEIKI 55 inch 4k tv ....The picture for the price is great!! A friend told me about the cable and I said maybe I'll try it...it was a HUGE DIFFERENCE!! My Xbox 360 graphics looked 120% better!! My ps4 looked 140% better!! blue ray movies look absolutely awesome..I highly recommend this cable it makes a BIG DIFFERENCE

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, June 24, 2014
This review is from: Seiki SU4KC1 U-Vision Up Converting Cable (Electronics)
I don't have a 4k TV so I don't know how much it will help for 1080p to 4k upconversion, but the U-vision does wonders via internal processing on 1080p and 720p content. My Panny 55st30 internal engine is no where near the quality of this Technicolor / Marseilles cable. Make sure to output your cable box to 720p instead of 1080i to take advantage of the HDMI cable processing. If your cable box can output 1080p24 / 1080p30 then this will work too. Your games will look much better as well because of the real-time adaptive anti-aliasing built into this freaking amazing piece of hardware. Get one even if you don't have 4k.

2.0 out of 5 stars Screen goes black every few minutes., July 24, 2014
Markus (Auburn, AL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seiki SU4KC1 U-Vision Up Converting Cable (Electronics)
The cable cuts out every few minutes and the screen goes blank. I suspect it's because the Seiki 4k TV isn't supplying enough current via the TV's USB port. Going to try finding an extension and running it off a 2 amp USB PS and see if it continues. Otherwise, it's going back to Amazon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it, October 15, 2014
This review is from: Seiki SU4KC1 U-Vision Up Converting Cable (Electronics)
I have this for a while now, it takes time to recognize the cable, and it pause in the middle of the video goes black and then it comes back on, just use regular HDMI cable

5.0 out of 5 stars this made a pretty significant improvement on this cable's performance and over all ..., October 28, 2014
This review is from: Seiki SU4KC1 U-Vision Up Converting Cable (Electronics)
This cable does what it is supposed to do, the problem I and I am sure many people who bought this for their Seiki 4K tvs is that the tv seems to not have sufficient power to power this cable through USB. MY FIX for this was to do a factory reset and select Retail Showroom Mode. I read about his on a blog reviewing this item and they suggested you run it in showroom mode instead of at home mode. Apparently, when this tv runs on retail mode more power is routed through the tv, this made a pretty significant improvement on this cable's performance and over all picture quality. To do a reset you have to go to MENU, press 0000 (zero four times) and go through the various options till you find what you need.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, April 17, 2014
This review is from: Seiki SU4KC1 U-Vision Up Converting Cable (Electronics)
I was super excited reading some of the reviews about this cable, so I decided to purchase one hoping it could improve my TV. Initially I thought it did provide somewhat of an improvement. Maybe it was the placebo effect or hoping it would truly work but after testing and looking over my picture frames and comparing different movies and recorded DVR samples from before I replaced this cable and comparing them to recorded programs with the cable, I barley saw a difference. It might help the sound more so then the picture if anything. But not a drastic difference.

I turned off all processing from my receiver and tried everything but I constantly had handshaking issues and the line noise it gave to my AVR receiver was not good. I tried everything I could to eliminate the noise coming through my receiver but had no luck. I would say this cable might be a benefit to less expensive TVs. But that is just a guess. It might provide a little extra detail but not worth it to me with the other issues it created.

Plus, if your TV can handle true 4K with 60hz, then this cable will null and void that as it is limited to only 30hz.

3.0 out of 5 stars BUT NOT GOOD FOR PC USE, July 19, 2014
This review is from: Seiki SU4KC1 U-Vision Up Converting Cable (Electronics)
DOES WHAT IT,S SUPPOSE TO DO ,BUT NOT GOOD FOR PC USE ,EVEN WITH THE SHARPNESS ALL THE WAY DOWN

LETTER GRAPHICS LOOKED AWFUL ON THE MONITOR .

Seiki SU4KC1 U-Vision Up Converting Cable