5.0 out of 5 stars Seiko SKX007J...made in Japan!
I ordered the Seiko SKX007J Diver's Watch through Amazon and received it a few days ago. These are some of the things that I like about the watch:

-Looks great!
-Feels solid and well constructed.
-Classic Seiko Diver's Watch design (takes me back to the 80's).
-The rotating bezel aligns perfectly with markers.
-Screw down crown...
Published on November 5, 2011 by Victor

1.0 out of 5 stars Face is smaller than advertised
I received my watch today. The listing reads that the face is 45mm. It is not even close. It's around 40mm. Much smaller than I prefer. Furthermore, the abbreviated day of the week next to the date was not in English (and was not 'DOM' either) - looked like Japanese probably. I'm returning it asap to get a bigger face.
Published 23 days ago by Dr. J.C.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seiko SKX007J...made in Japan!, November 5, 2011
Victor (Boston, MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seiko Automatic Diver's SKX007J1 SKX007J SKX007 200m Made in Japan Watch (Watch)

-Looks great!
-Feels solid and well constructed.
-Classic Seiko Diver's Watch design (takes me back to the 80's).
-The rotating bezel aligns perfectly with markers.
-Screw down crown.
-Luminescence is excellent.
-Day/Date
-Nice second hand movement.
-Keeps accurate time (for an automatic watch).
-The SKX007J is made in Japan.
-It is a Seiko!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch, July 6, 2012
M.A.K (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This is a nice well built automatic watch. Clean design and easy to read. This watch can be worn dressed up or dressed down. Classic design that will neve go out of style. This is the SKX007J model. There is a also a SKX007K model. Both models are however identical and have identical movements. However the "J" version costs about 30 dollars more. You can go to watchuseek.com to find out more about the "J" and the "K" models, as there are enthusiast explainations explaining why one is better than the other and why one is not better than the other. You be the judge. WARNING: The watchuseek website is highly addictive and will make you buy watches like buying bubble gum. I have purchased more watches in five months than I did in five years after becoming addicted to watchuseek.com I acquired a super oyster bracelet and replaced the rubber strap that came with the watch. Adds class to the watch. Of course you can always swap back to rubber strap depending on the occasion. Cheers!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Classic Authentic Seiko Dive Watch, Day/Date, 200 Meters (Japan), June 15, 2014
This is THE classic authentic Seiko dive watch, the made-in-Japan version. Along with the Rolex Submariner, this is the most influential dive watch out there in terms of both style and function. It has day/date (in both English and Spanish, there are also versions with other languages including Japanese).
The unidirectional bezel clicks with quiet reliability. The bezel is easy to use underwater, by the way, and the hands and hour markers are easily read in all light conditions, both on land and underwater. They glow in the dark for between about four and five hours, in my experience, after coming in out of the sun.

This is not a pretentious or ostentatious watch in any way, and it's not a 'big' watch by current standards. It comes on a simple stainless band. Personally I wear mine on a nylon strap, or on a stainless 'mesh' style strap that I personally find more comfortable than the factory band. But if you like a metal band, this one is attractive, durable, not overly heavy, and it does the job.

These are famously durable. I've had mine about four years now, I wear it frequently outdoors in ll kinds of activities, I never baby it or worry about it, and it still looks 99% new--only a determined jeweler's search with a strong magnifier would show up the tiny, almost invisible wear marks on the case and crystal.
These are rated to 200 meters, which is deeper than any human diver is ever going to go. I've taken mine to 120 feet with no problem. I trust this watch completely. It's tough, and can take it.

This particular listing is the version 'made in Japan'. Other than the model number, there's no functional or quality difference (in my opinion) between the Japanese factory's output and the Seiko's made anywhere else. That's my opinion. Some others disagree, and perhaps for that reason there is usually a price premium on the Japanese models over non-Japanese. It's up to you whether it's worth a premium to you to have an added 'J' on the watch in fine print.

If you're debating a 'first' dive watch, I would say go with this Seiko. As a real diver, I have acquired a number of real dive watches over the years, and this Seiko is my favorite, for all the reasons above. It just works, it does the job, and it does it well.
It's also very reasonably priced. I found my (authentic Seiko but non-Japanese) online shipped for around $180, and I continue to see them at around that price today. It definitely pays to shop around. Expect to pay $20-30 more for the Japanese factory 'J'. That's really the only difference.
You may or may not ever decide to 'trade up' to a more expensive dive watch, but I wouldn't be surprised if you decide to keep your original Seiko and continue to wear it. This watch really grows on you.
Lots of great info and user threads on this watch on the various online watch forums. Google them and see. There's a whole subculture/cottage industry of DIY modifications with this watch as well.

Important tip:
When you are comparison shopping, make sure you are getting a genuine Seiko from a genuine Seiko dealer, not what is called a 'grey market' Seiko sold (or re-sold) by unauthorized third parties. Those 'grey market' watches may be OK, or they may be seconds, refurbished (without Seiko's involvement), counterfeits, or who knows what. Either way, they probably won't come with any warranty that Seiko will recognize. So definitely make sure you are dealing with a licensed Seiko dealer (you can verify with Seiko on Seiko's website).

Interestingly, these watches hold their resale value really well. If you buy your Seiko around the price I suggest, you can usually resell it for a good price. Some people keep all their box and documentation to increase their resale. Definitely register your watch with Seiko for warranty coverage.

Summary: Great dive watch. Solid, reliable, well designed. Available around $180 (non-"J", $200 or so if "J"), shipped, through genuine Seiko dealers.

Hope this is helpful. Dive safe, everybody.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Seiko quality, January 4, 2013
I love this watch. It is a nice size and weight for me. The rubber stap is comfortable on my wrist. It keeps decent time for an auto, but it is an auto, and as such, it is not, nor will it ever be an atomic clock. Yes, if I don't wear it for a couple of days it will stop. It has no hand wind feature, so a few shakes from side to side gets it going again and it winds itself throughout the day. Takes very little time to set it where it needs to be. Classic Seiko diver's design, a must-have for anyone who loves dive/tool watches. Very affordable quality. You get a lot more than you pay for with these tried and true workhorses. Very nicely finished, screw down crown, my particular SKX007J has English and Arabic day settings.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's real, June 18, 2012
The watch is great it was concerning because even though it came in a seiko box it didn't come with a manual. That fractured into setting the watch and finding out that the watch is dual language and came in English and Arabic for the days of the week so it was difficult to figure out how to set the language. I did check out the watch and all the numbers and markings check out. There are fraudulent watches so make sure the markings look right. On the face of the watch Divers 200m with 21 jewels underneath and between the 6&7it should say made in Japan and between the 5&6 the 7s number. Make sure on the back of the watch it says Japan A or Japan WP. You can find good prices at Skywatches . Com. I did buy this watch at Amazon it was for under 300.00 a couple weeks ago. You can find it for under 250.00 for sure it may just take some effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seiko Automatic Divers Watch, September 23, 2012
This watch is outstanding. Very high quality, and after 3-4 days of use settled in to about plus 1 second a day. Initially it was gaining 8-10 seconds a day which is normal for an automatic watch. It came in a Seiko box with manual and warranty info.. This is the original Made in Japan model and is just like the one I remember from the 70's-80's. Although quite heavy its comfortable, good looking and very accurate. I would definitely recommend this particular model.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great timepiece but mine is a "grey market" item, May 10, 2013
William Gardner (Wisconsin United States) - See all my reviews
Spent the extra money to purchase the "made in Japan" version and, based on SKX007 reviews of those made in other countries, I am glad that I did. This is a fairly accurate timepiece, consistently losing only a few seconds a day (non-quartz timepieces, as an "automatic" is, inherently tend to either lose or gain time). Be warned however, you may be purchasing a "grey market" item.

To clear the air first...... What is a "grey market" item? Quite simply, it only means that the item was not intended to be sold in your market (the US in my case). It DOES NOT mean the item is fake or in any way defective. Grey market items are often exactly the same items, just they were shipped to be sold in some other country. This may affect the warranty of the item you purchase. This may mean that a minor feature differs slightly (my "second language" for the date on my Seiko watch was Arabic instead of Spanish) than the one sold in your market. It may also mean, as was my case, that you end up owing import duty fees because your item was shipped to you from another country. That is it. That is what "grey market" really means, regardless of what you may hear/read someplace else.......

As for my review of the timepiece itself, please note that this purchase was intended to be my "work" watch, for when I am working around the house, doing yard work, or working in my woodworking shop. I do not dive and I have another timepiece that I use for my water sport activities. Anyway, after 2+ months of regular wear, I am quite pleased and have to admit that I am pretty impressed. I am impressed with the accuracy of this timepiece and I am impressed with the ruggedness. The SKX007J is losing between 1-2 minutes per week, certainly not bad for an self-winding timepiece, especially at this price point! It has also surprised be with how durable it has been (knock on wood). The watch has taken blows that I would have expected to scratch the crystal, scratch the bezel, or knock off the "pearl". So far, none of these things have happened. :)

As for how this timepiece performs as a dive watch, all I can do is compare its features/performance to my other dive watch. Although I do not dive, my other dive watch also leads a "working" life as it is my timepiece I use when kayaking. In the sake of fairness, I must disclose that my "other" dive watch is a Swiss timepiece that comes in around that $1,200-$1,500 price point (retail). Please keep in mind that this is not a true "apples-to-apples" comparison, although I think the Seiko does come out of this quite well. In the area of important "dive" features, here is how the Seiko compares to its unnamed Swiss counterpart:
(GOOD)
- The crown is offset to the 4 o'clock position. This is easier on the wrist, easier to set, and does not get caught on things as often.
- The "lume" (luminescence of the hands and key markers) is really good, much better that the Swiss model I am comparing against as the minute markers (marking the face, every 5 minutes) are hard to "charge" and do not glow for very long. The Seiko does a great job in this area. Give them a good charge and the markers will glow for hours.
- The accuracy is good although I would honestly prefer to gain 1-2 minutes per week than to lose 1-2 minutes. Still, lots of sub-$500 automatics will vary by much more than this, often 5-10 minutes per week (or more)
(NOT AS GOOD)
- The bezel has "positive" clicks at what feels like every 1/2 minute. However, the clicks are not as firm as I would like and the bezel does rotate more easily than I like. Fortunately I am not timing anything critical, but I do use the bezel (on both watches) quite often.
- The bezel (again) is very easy to read when you have a well-lit environment. However, other than the "pearl", there are no markings that can be read or felt in a low-light environment.
- This is simply a price-point difference but the movement on the Seiko is nowhere near as smooth as those on either my Swiss timepieces or those in my old (manual) mechanical timepieces. It is not as rough and rigid of a second hand movement as what you would see on a quartz watch, but there is not the smoothness you see on more expensive movements.
(JUST DIFFERENT)
- Not uncommon for Japanese movements, you can not "hack" this timepiece. Now, when you are talking about timepieces which gain or lose a few seconds a day, as almost every "automatic" does, this is a petty thing to quibble about. Unless your commando unit is about to launch a synchronized attack against enemy headquarters, you do not really need this. It is nice though when you want to measure the accuracy of your timepiece against an atomic clock.
- Lume on second hand is on opposite end. Honestly, so long as you can see one end of the second hand in low-light situations, it does not really matter which end you are looking at....... but the lume dot on the "other" end is a little weird though.

Well, that is it. I like this watch. I would buy it again. I would recommend it to others. It, in some ways, is not as nice as more expensive dive watches. In other (important) ways, this watch has design features that are missing on many "dive" watches costing several hundreds or even thousands of dollars more. And then lastly, be aware of the possible "grey market" issues. The duty fees can be an annoying pain in the _____ and it will probably mean you have no manufacturer warranty.

5.0 out of 5 stars SEIKO PROFESSIONAL DIVERS WATCH, July 11, 2007
Received my watch this morning at ten. The watch is brand new, beautiful, and so far is deadly accurate. The company I bought it from did a very good job getting it here. This is the Seiko Professional Diver's watch; made in Japan. I couldn't be happier with it. Thank you very much. L. M. Fatta

5.0 out of 5 stars A good-looking tank, May 15, 2013
I used to wear a Rolex all the time, but started to worry about banging it around during travel, having it stolen, forgetting it somewhere, etc. So I purchased this watch to serve as my day to day and travel watch. I never take it off, it keeps decent enough time, I might adjust once every couple of months or so... which you have to do because of the date adjustment anyway.

It's been awesome. For the money you can't beat it. I threw the strap away immediately and put an aftermarket stainless bracelet on it which helped the looks tremendously. My personal opinion. I tried a NATO on it too, but I've kept with the bracelet.

This is a reliable, no-maintenance decent time keeper. The movement is fairly smooth, the day/date is nice, the lune is awesome, and you never have to fear about water, working around the house, traveling, etc. Its a great watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely accurate, very high quality, rugged and reliable, May 14, 2012
This is an excellent watch. I own Omega, Rolex, Invicta, and Seiko watches and this model (made in Japan) is almost as accurate as my Omega Speedmaster chronometer. Very impressive. The case is nicely contoured and does not bind or pinch or stab at the wrist. The crown bolsters do an excellent job protecting the crown. The rotating bezel is smooth and precisely mounted. The luminescent marks are very bright and precisely mounted. But the most impressive accuracy was really a surprise. Even though I just received this watch and it has not been run more than a few days, the accuracy is truly amazing. I don't know if I just got lucky, or what?