Seiko 5 Automatic Black Dial Stainless Steel Mens Watch SNZG13
Price:$109.52 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on August 30, 2012
I have the Seiko SNZG13J1 stainless steel military watch, made in Japan.

The J1 designates the watch as being made in Japan.

The SNZG13J1 is Calibration 7S36 if you go looking for the instruction manual at the Seiko website (7S35 is also used by the Seiko automatic diver's watches).

The SNZG13J1 uses the ISO 8601 24-hour clock system, with midnight designated as 24:00.

The SNZG13J1 has a lug width of 22mm (in case you want another wrist band for it).

Please pay close attention to the nomenclature of this Amazon page for the SNZG13 Seiko 5 Automatic Sports men's watch. It says "Japan movement" - it does not say "Made In Japan."

The watch that Amazon is selling here is NOT made in Japan. That little bit of wording makes all the difference in terms of quality and reliability. If it is not made in Japan (and clearly marked as such) then you are getting a dubious quality watch. Hold out and invest a few dollars extra to MAKE CERTAIN it says "Made In Japan." Otherwise you will regret it.

About the watch: The SNZG13J1 Seiko 5 Automatic Sports men's watch (J series) is a superb watch. It is well worth every penny you pay for it. The SNZG13J1 is very well made, has a great solid feel and look, and is very cleanly styled. In fact, its appearance is simple to the point of classic. It has no bells and whistles and does not tax your attention. The SNZG13J1 just tells you the time, clearly, beautifully, and accurately.

One of the benefits of owning a fine automatic watch is that if it is kept properly serviced (about every three or four years for a newer generation Seiko like the SNZG13J1), the automatic watch will reliably run for generations of every day use and wear. In fact, a fine watch like the SNZG13J1 will probably out live you, so be prepared to leave the watch to your child come your passing from old age. And if they take correct care of it the watch may very well out live them too. In other words the Seiko SNZG13J1 you just purchased might become a treasured family heirloom, passed down from one father to son on and on - if good care is taken of the watch.

Additionally, one of the other very nice things about fine automatic and mechanical watches is that they can be serviced & repaired by virtually any watch repair shop. The same cannot be said for quartz watches nor for digital watches. And if the battery for your quartz or digital watch happens to get discontinued, it's over. Tick tick gone bye-bye.

Again, if you purchase a Seiko 5 Automatic Sports watch MAKE SURE it says "J1" at the end of its model number designation, otherwise it is not made in Japan and you are just asking for trouble. Again: The Seiko watch for sale here on this Amazon page is NOT a Made In Japan model watch. Caveat emptor!

The SNZG13J1 Seiko 5 Automatic Sports men's watch is an excellent purchase. You will never have "buyer's regret" for having purchased this watch (as long as it is the J1, marked "Made In Japan").

Tip: Avoid soapy water, oily water, liquid detergents, and water coming out of pressurized spray nozzles and hoses. The SNZG13J1 wrist watch will resist water, but all water resistant watches are tested based on equal uniform water pressure (such as exists underwater). Water from a hose or pressurized nozzle will not hit your watch in an equal uniform fashion and can thus easily penetrate the rubber seals. Soapy water, oils, and detergents will chemically act upon the rubber seals of ANY watch and quickly render the watch water permeable. Water proof watches are made to dive with, not to wash cars with.

Remember: All automatic watches will gain or lose time when they are new or not worn on the wrist all the time.

According to Seiko Corporation, the timekeeping accuracy of the 7S26/7S36 movement is +-15 s/day. It has been known that this movement typically runs fast for a few weeks when fresh from the factory sometime get as far as +45 to -35 s/day. Also it keeps better time when worn on the wrist all the time. If you're not wearing the watch for more than its 42 hour reserve, you'll have to rotate it to keep it going or reset the date/time. The watch will "settle down" to a more reasonable accuracy level after being worn for a couple of months.

If your watch loses or gains a few seconds per day, you can take it off at night and :-
1. Lay the watch flat with the dial uppermost (To gain a few seconds if it is slow).
2. Lay the watch vertically with the winding-button downwards. (To lose a few seconds if it is fast)
3. Lay the watch vertically with the winding-button uppermost. (To lose more seconds if it is too fast)

The following usage recommendations are suggested by the Seiko Corporation of America:

Water-resistant to 30 meters (100 feet). Will withstand splashes of water or rain but should not be worn while swimming or diving.

Water-tested to 50 meters (165 feet). Suitable for showering or swimming in shallow water.

Water-tested to 100 meters (330 feet). Suitable for swimming and snorkeling.

Water-tested to 150 meters (500 feet). Suitable for snorkeling.

Water-tested to 200 meters (660 feet). Suitable for skin diving.

Diver's 150 meters (500 feet). Meets ISO standards and is suitable for scuba diving.

Diver's 200 meters (660 feet). Meets ISO standards and is suitable for scuba diving.

The SNZG13J1 Seiko 5 Automatic Sports men's watch is an excellent wrist watch and is water resistant to 100 meters. You will be glad you purchased one. Make sure to have it serviced every few years and it will keep running for many many decades to come.

I hope this review is helpful to you.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 26, 2012
At 41.5mm (without crown) this versatile performer is just about the perfect size for me. I'm a big fan of the styling...the dial is a bit busy with the "SPORTS" but great looks and build quality easily overcome that small cosmetic quibble. The 7S36 runs 6-8 seconds slow daily and the reserve is in the 40 hour range. Superior Seiko lume that will last the night if you charge it up before bed... Lugs are 22mm, thickness is 12mm and WR is 100m. Outstanding value, quality and style!
on October 7, 2013
Verified Purchase
Some of the other customer reviews are shockingly ignorant of how the K or J designation makes a difference (or more importantly doesn't) make a difference in the quality of the finished product. Watches of this type assembled in Japan command higher prices largely as a result of buyer ignorance or prejudice. Some people feel that if they are going to buy a watch from a Japanese brand that it should be made in Japan. Others erroneously feel that because a product is made in Japan it is automatically of better quality than one that isn't. Some even go as far as to think that because a watch is not manufactured in Japan that it is likely to be a fake. The truth is that there is no difference, these lower end Seikos are ALL made by automated machines in both Japan and Malaysia. Furthermore even those models assembled in Japan used parts and modules manufactured elsewhere.

I'm sorry a few of you got duds, but these are the exceptions to the awesome quality of Seiko products (no matter where they are assembled).
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 31, 2012
Others have mentioned that the photo shows a Japanese-made model, which isn't the same as the one for sale here. I have this watch in both the Japanese and Malaysian movements and there's definitely a difference between the two. My Japanese one only cost twenty dollars more but it keeps really accurate time and has a much smoother feel when setting it. I bought my Malaysian one on a whim while visiting Malaysia (and paid WAY too much for it there) and it runs a whole minute fast everyday. Doesn't sound like much, but it means I'm constantly having to reset it every few days to know the correct time. When the crown is pulled out and turned for adjusting the day or date, there's a gritty feeling to it that you find on cheaper watches. I sprang for the electroplated, "gunmetal"-finish watch, which has the same stainless steel band and case but in a darker finish. The band has held up well but scratches show up easily on it. The crystal has a few deep scratches as well, whereas my Japanese model has yet to show any (both are worn regularly in the same kind of conditions). Both have held up well to salt water snorkeling and high humidity, and both glow nice and bright for half an hour or more with a 100 lumen flashlight charge for a few seconds. The "gunmetal" model has two other things unique to it: the hash marks AND the numerals glow in the dark (makes for a nice little bedside clock when camping or traveling!) and the seconds hand is solid red, rather than just the tip of it. Makes for a nicer looking watch in my opinion.

Bottom line: I sure won't be buying another one that doesn't have the Japanese movement.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 1, 2012
Verified Purchase
I've had this watch for a few weeks and I must say I am quite satisfied with it except for one complaint: squeaking watch bracelet. The squeak noise is so loud and distasteful that when I drive I mistake it for the car's dashboard noise. Perhaps someone could recommend a lubricant or some other solution for it.

(UPDATE) I bought a Silicone Spray Lubricant from Amazon (see the link) and applied it to the links -- Now the squeaks are gone! Not messy or sticky at all. Amazing.

11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 11, 2014
Verified Purchase
I was looking for a new watch, something a little bigger and more interesting than the Fossil I was wearing before. I wanted luminescent hands, a date display and good water resistance. I wanted something with standard lugs so I could change the band -- I hadn't worn a watch with a metal bracelet in a long time and wasn't sure I would like it, and I evidently perspire too much for leather straps to last long. I wasn't sure that I wanted an automatic, but the Seiko 5 watches I found on Amazon (both the SNGZ series and the smaller SNK series) appealed to me. They got a decent amount of respect on watch discussion forums and other sites, and had a reputation for being quite accurate. Eventually I realized that within a few years I'm probably going to be wearing an Android smartwatch most of the time anyway, relegating whatever I buy now to backup duty -- and an automatic watch that's been sitting in a drawer for a year is more likely to be useful than a quartz watch that's been sitting in a drawer for a year.

At 42mm (or 41.5 depending on whom you believe -- I didn't measure) this is a little bigger watch than I've owned before, so I was a little nervous buying it online without seeing one in real life. I resolved to return this and buy the SNK809 if it was too big. Turns out it's just right in terms of case size. The bracelet was much too big for my wrist. I assume they do this on purpose so the majority of buyers will be shortening their bracelets rather than finding them too small. I didn't get a chance to go to a shop and have it resized in the first few days, so I turned to YouTube and learned how to do it myself without special tools. This worked great and I achieved a snug enough fit that it doesn't wiggle around. The combined weight of the watch and bracelet would be very annoying if it were too loose. It does slip around when my skin gets wet, so I sometimes take it off when washing dishes and the like.

The timekeeping has been good so far -- it's stayed within a minute of my cell phone's time for the whole first week, which is all the precision I care to measure.

This is the first watch I've owned with luminescent hands and hour marks, and they're quite bright sometimes. They are often visibly green in situations that I would not think of as "dark" such as parking garages and bathroom stalls, but not always in "dark" situations like when I'm taking out the trash late in the evening.

The only thing that makes me nervous and a little discontented about my purchase of this watch is the warranty situation. The one I bought through Amazon was sold by a company called ItsAboutTime, which CLAIMS to be an authorized Seiko dealer and to provide the manufacturer's warranty -- but this is apparently not true, because the warranty card is unstamped (which I actually expected given what other reviewers have said). ItsAboutTime's "about" page on Amazon also claims that they themselves provide a warranty (as many gray market retailers do), but I'm not sure about this either, as no paperwork from them was shipped with the watch -- no receipt or even packing slip -- and there's no information I can find about how to contact them in case of a problem with the watch. So, at least for practical purposes, I have a watch with no warranty whatsoever, which makes me nervous because although MOST people who reviewed this watch said it kept very good time, a few have said that it can be variable and watches sometimes require adjustment. We'll see.
on March 8, 2014
Verified Purchase
This watch runs about +5 seconds fast on average. I don't know what the complaints are all about. This watch is water resistant, and holds up well to giving my 8 mo old son a bath at night. I wouldn't go diving with it, though! It's a very durable, nice looking watch. The stainless steel band wears comfortably, and is easy to adjust with the proper tool. There are four micro adjust positions on the clasp, to get yourself the perfect fit. This watch has a nice solid weight to it. The black dial, with white markings is very easy to read, and the Lumbrite markers light up supper bright with a thirty second charge from my cellphone's light. I have always wanted an automatic, and this Seiko should wear well until I can save up for something a bit nicer like the SARB 033. This watch has one of Seiko's workhorse movements, the 7s36C, which is a well made, well proven movement. I would definitely buy this watch again. My watch is clearly marked "Made in Malaysia" on the case back, and I find no faults in the manufacturing. I think this is probably one of the best auto's out there for the price. Because this is a "grey market" watch, you need to be careful of which seller you purchase it from. (Yes there are disreputable sellers on Amazon.com). Make sure you understand the seller's return policy, and their warranty procedures. You will not get the official 3 year Seiko warranty with this watch, only what the seller offers in place of this. In most cases, it's actually better than the warranty from Seiko. Do some research, before you order this watch, and you'll probably get a nice one. I can't complain too much about the one I received. It came in the original blue Seiko box, on a white pillow, with the original instruction booklet and unstamped warranty card. Overall, a very good experience despite my trepidation about buying a "grey market" watch.
on February 28, 2014
Verified Purchase
First, I must say that the images online don't do this piece justice. The lines are clean, movement is smooth and the markings very legible. One thing I will probably do is swap out the band for a black leather band with a clasp. There is nothing wrong with the supplied metal band, other than the clasp being a little stiff at first, but I'm going for a more casual look with this.

I was looking for a watch with a clean design and a good automatic movement that'll last and it appears that's exactly what I got. I also looked at similar pieces from Tissot, Hamilton and Weiss when considering this watch. They were all fine offerings as well but prices ran anywhere from $500 to $1000 which is more than I care to spend for a watch that I intend to wear 90% of the time and is probably going to take a beating over the years.

A note for potential buyers, this model is manufactured in Malaysia, not Japan. The model manufactured in Japan is the SNZG13J (not K). I was initially concerned with any quality differences between the two but after seeing the watch in person I'm not worried in the least.

Also note that you can not hand wind this watch. The only way to wind it is through movement of the rotor. I spent a minute or two charging the watch the night I received it then wore it for a couple hours and it was still running 8 hours later the next morning, which tells me it's a fairly effecient design and through normal wear should have no issues keeping the mainspring adequetly wound.

The movement is the 7S36 which, by my understanding, is a workhorse. It is designed to be efficient, reliable and economical. What that also means is there's very little window dressing on the movement itself. If you're looking for a more ornate movement then you'll need to look at a different movement which will undoubtedly be at a higher price point. This piece puts function over form and I'm alright with that.
on June 16, 2012
Verified Purchase
The watch is really nice. Keeps the time fairly accurate,
with in 20 sec give or take. I purchased this watch for
Fathers Day and it arrived on time through Amazon Prime.
However, the watch I received does not have Japan movement
because it is the Malaysia version. I will still keep the
watch but I really wanted the Japan version. The Lumibrite
by Seiko is very bright when fully charged (with my 200 lumen
flashlight for 5min before bed) I feel that it doesn't keep
the full charge long enough, but its still visible before the
sun rises. Four stars for not disclosing that its the Malaysia
version and having Japan version photos. 5 stars to the
product it's self.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 6, 2014
Verified Purchase
This watch was purchased from E Watches and fulfilled by Amazon. I paid $130.00. My watch arrived one day early and in great shape. The watch came in an authentic Seiko blue box on a white pillow with tags. The watch I received is model SNZG13K1. This is the version manufactured in Malaysia, not in Japan as listed. This is perfectly acceptable. You will likely pay more for the Japanese version (SNZG13J1), even though the movements are exactly the same spec (7s36). Everything checks out good, including the serial number on the case back. This is a "gray market" watch, meaning it does not come with a warranty from Seiko. You will not receive a stamped warranty card from the dealer. That's the only drawback. There are some retailers on Amazon that will tell you they are an authorized Seiko dealer, and include the three year Seiko warranty, but this is most likely untrue. If you're OK with a minimal amount of risk that comes with buying a "gray market" watch then this is a great watch to buy. I did not want to spend more than $200 on my first automatic watch, since I intend on learning how to disassemble, clean and reassemble an automatic wrist watch.

My watch keeps good time + 15 sec/day so far. This is well within the limits of an everyday automatic watch. To get any better, I will have to open up the case and move the regulator bar slightly. The Seiko 7s36 movement is very dependable and well proven. Very nice size SS case; not too small, or too big. While this is considered a military style watch, it is very classy and professional looking. Easily dressed up or down. Dial is simple and easy to read, and while the links are "folded" no one will suspect unless they use a magnifying glass. The links have a very solid, heavy feel to them. Of all the Seiko 5 automatics, I really liked this one the best for quality and looks. Properly cared for there's a good chance this watch will last a life time. Despite being non-hackable, you can get the second hand to stop on a dime, if you are gentle and know how to do it. For the price, this watch has the basic elements I was looking for in an entry level automatic watch. I only gave it four stars because it lacks a sapphire crystal, solid band links, blue dial and a Swiss movement. In all my research I simply couldn't find a watch for this price that had those four extra features. As I plan to experiment with this watch, many of those feature can be changed out at a latter date if I so desire. Otherwise, this watch is very solid in form and function. Just use caution when buying gray market watches. Make sure you know the seller's return policy, and warranty details. In other words, do your research.

Update: Finally sized the bracelet on this watch and it fits perfect. One of the most comfortable SS watches I've ever worn. Removed two links and settled on the fourth micro adjustment. The SS bracelet did have a bit of squeaking, but after sizing the watch and wearing it in for a few hours, the squeak is completely gone. Overall, this watch runs very quiet. No LOUD ticking like my Timex! You will hear the rotor turning once in a while as you wear this watch throughout the day, but for the most part it seems inaudible. For the money, this is one of the nicest everyday watches I have ever owned. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the links on this watch are "solid" not "folded." While the lugs are hollow, the links definitely look and feel solid after removal and closer examination. The brushed and polished detailing on the case adds a wonderful bit of subtle detail to the watch. The clasp is sturdy, secure and strong with plenty of room for adjustment on any size wrist. Do yourself a favor and order the $8.00 watch repair kit from Amazon and do the sizing yourself. It's easy to do (took me less than 5 minutes) and far less expensive than a trip to the local jeweler.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations