5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet Time!
Published on December 29, 2008 by Mark

2.0 out of 5 stars Broke after 2 months
The motor started making an audible whirring and clicking noise after 2 months. Until that point, it was silent and I loved it. Now I'm mad that I wasted the money on something that didn't last.
Published on May 12, 2009 by JDC

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet Time!, December 29, 2008
Mark (Portland, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seiko Wall Clock Quiet Sweep Second Hand Clock Black Metallic Case (Watch)
I have spent too many nights with ticking clocks that seem to grow louder at 2:00 or 3:00 A.M. With some, you can even hear the motor strain between 30 seconds and a minute as the little motor has to drag the second hand "uphill" and then grow quieter as it reaches the top of the dail and begins its descent again to the 30 second mark. This Seiko is as promised, a SWEEP second hand CONTINUOUS movement, and NO ticking. The other benefit is that since it's battery powered, there is no cord hanging down the wall. Me, a light sleeper? No, I live next to a freeway. But the drone of semi's is easier to sleep through for me than the rythmic ticking of a clock which seems to say, "only...two...hours...'till...it's...time...to...get...up..." The black face and silver hands are also handsome, and finally - -I would expect this from Seiko - - it is keeping excellent time.
-Mark

4.0 out of 5 stars Silent but hard to read in low light, November 6, 2009
I was looking for a silent clock so I didn't have to hear the 'tick tick' of the second hand. This clock definitely is silent. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that it would be extremely hard to read in low light due to all the black and gray. I'll be returning this and looking for one that is easier to read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Broke after 2 months, May 12, 2009

3.0 out of 5 stars noisy motors, May 5, 2010
kt "kxkx" (California, USA) - See all my reviews
I have two Seiko quiet sweep second hand clocks, with different dial designs from this one, but the same drive mechanism. One of them was quiet at first - it was wonderful - but after a few months it started making a whirring mechanical noise, just like another reviewer mentioned. The other clock made a similar noise from the very beginning. I am going to see if I can open up the little plastic boxes covering the motors so I can lubricate them, but I don't think they are designed for that.

2.0 out of 5 stars great for about 8 months. . . ., March 25, 2010
The 2 stars I'm giving this product are due to the fine appearance, and I guess it should get some credit for the 8 months of performance, but then the clock began stopping unpredictably (sometimes every few days, sometimes several times a day) even though we tried at least 3 different battery brands in it. Maybe the second-hand gets stuck and stops up the rest of the timekeeping action -- it seems to run fine if it's lying flat on a desk, but that's obviously not supposed to be its purpose. Despite the manufacturer's alleged 3-year warranty there's been no response to my inquiries from Seiko's customer service e-mail (and the seller just points the problem to the manufacturer, of course). This is a real disappointment in every way. Consider yourself warned.

5.0 out of 5 stars a very quiet wall clock, September 18, 2010
D-T-D "Mister Don" (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
No more IKEA wall clocks for me. They're just too noisy and don't look that great.
I've had this wall clock for about 15 months and the battery died on ~10th month or so.
No problem, just buy a new battery and it's back to life again.

Here's my 2 cents for those who needs new battery for any wall clock. DO NOT USE ALKALINES or any special
batteries. Just use regular "zinc" or "heavy duty" batteries and your clock(s) will thank you.
Those batteries has too much power and the clock's movement simply wasn't designed for that.

I repeat "" DO NOT USE ALKALINES "".

I got a pack of 24 or 36 Zinc AAs from Amazon for just a few bucks. Keep your eyes out for 'em.

This clock is quiet as expected. If I put my ears really close to the clock, I can hear it whirring.
But in a quiet room, there is no noticeable noise. For those who cannot tolerate any noise, get a
digital one. -- The design is simple & minimal, which I love. Coming from el-cheapo IKEA ones, this model's
material & craftsmanship is excellent for the price. It's easy to read if there is adequate light source in
the room. But once it's getting very dark, it's hard to read because of the dark background.

While I think it's quite expensive for a simple wall clock, I highly recommend it for design, & reliability.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great to start with, but developed a tick after about 6 months, June 5, 2010
At first, I was completely in love with the sweeping silence. Then, after about six months of ownership, I started to notice an audible tick. It didn't sound like the normal tick of a clock, but rather just gear noise. Either way, my silent clock now was producing noise. It's still quieter than normal clocks, but I have to down rank it for losing its silence.

1.0 out of 5 stars Only quiet for about 6 months. Then it started making noise., March 10, 2010
I am editing my review of this product to drop the rating and explain why. My sole reason for buying this clock was because I wanted something completely quiet. It was quiet for several months and then it started making a noticeable gear noise. The noise when away temporarily if I gave the clock a mild whack on the side but would come back again after a bit. I eventually threw the clock out.

Previous version of my review:
Title - Completely silent. Exactly what I wanted.
All I wanted was a wall clock that didn't have a loud annoying ticking sound every second. This clock is completely quiet and it works. The end.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking clock., June 23, 2013
Nice looking and keeps accurate time. However, in a dimly lit room (above the TV) the minute hand is difficult to see.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I expected, June 3, 2013
The clock is much more exquisite than the photo. It was definitely a best buy.......you can't go wrong with Seiko!!!

Rate and Discover Movies