Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

on December 29, 2008
I have spent too many nights with ticking clocks that seem to grow louder at 2:00 or 3:00 A.M. With some, you can even hear the motor strain between 30 seconds and a minute as the little motor has to drag the second hand "uphill" and then grow quieter as it reaches the top of the dail and begins its descent again to the 30 second mark. This Seiko is as promised, a SWEEP second hand CONTINUOUS movement, and NO ticking. The other benefit is that since it's battery powered, there is no cord hanging down the wall. Me, a light sleeper? No, I live next to a freeway. But the drone of semi's is easier to sleep through for me than the rythmic ticking of a clock which seems to say, "only...two...hours...'till...it's...time...to...get...up..." The black face and silver hands are also handsome, and finally - -I would expect this from Seiko - - it is keeping excellent time.
-Mark
on November 6, 2009
I was looking for a silent clock so I didn't have to hear the 'tick tick' of the second hand. This clock definitely is silent. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that it would be extremely hard to read in low light due to all the black and gray. I'll be returning this and looking for one that is easier to read.
on May 5, 2010
I have two Seiko quiet sweep second hand clocks, with different dial designs from this one, but the same drive mechanism. One of them was quiet at first - it was wonderful - but after a few months it started making a whirring mechanical noise, just like another reviewer mentioned. The other clock made a similar noise from the very beginning. I am going to see if I can open up the little plastic boxes covering the motors so I can lubricate them, but I don't think they are designed for that.
on March 25, 2010
The 2 stars I'm giving this product are due to the fine appearance, and I guess it should get some credit for the 8 months of performance, but then the clock began stopping unpredictably (sometimes every few days, sometimes several times a day) even though we tried at least 3 different battery brands in it. Maybe the second-hand gets stuck and stops up the rest of the timekeeping action -- it seems to run fine if it's lying flat on a desk, but that's obviously not supposed to be its purpose. Despite the manufacturer's alleged 3-year warranty there's been no response to my inquiries from Seiko's customer service e-mail (and the seller just points the problem to the manufacturer, of course). This is a real disappointment in every way. Consider yourself warned.
on September 18, 2010
No more IKEA wall clocks for me. They're just too noisy and don't look that great.
I've had this wall clock for about 15 months and the battery died on ~10th month or so.
No problem, just buy a new battery and it's back to life again.

Here's my 2 cents for those who needs new battery for any wall clock. DO NOT USE ALKALINES or any special
batteries. Just use regular "zinc" or "heavy duty" batteries and your clock(s) will thank you.
Those batteries has too much power and the clock's movement simply wasn't designed for that.

I repeat "" DO NOT USE ALKALINES "".

I got a pack of 24 or 36 Zinc AAs from Amazon for just a few bucks. Keep your eyes out for 'em.

This clock is quiet as expected. If I put my ears really close to the clock, I can hear it whirring.
But in a quiet room, there is no noticeable noise. For those who cannot tolerate any noise, get a
digital one. -- The design is simple & minimal, which I love. Coming from el-cheapo IKEA ones, this model's
material & craftsmanship is excellent for the price. It's easy to read if there is adequate light source in
the room. But once it's getting very dark, it's hard to read because of the dark background.

While I think it's quite expensive for a simple wall clock, I highly recommend it for design, & reliability.
on May 12, 2009
The motor started making an audible whirring and clicking noise after 2 months. Until that point, it was silent and I loved it. Now I'm mad that I wasted the money on something that didn't last.
on June 5, 2010
At first, I was completely in love with the sweeping silence. Then, after about six months of ownership, I started to notice an audible tick. It didn't sound like the normal tick of a clock, but rather just gear noise. Either way, my silent clock now was producing noise. It's still quieter than normal clocks, but I have to down rank it for losing its silence.
on March 10, 2010
I am editing my review of this product to drop the rating and explain why. My sole reason for buying this clock was because I wanted something completely quiet. It was quiet for several months and then it started making a noticeable gear noise. The noise when away temporarily if I gave the clock a mild whack on the side but would come back again after a bit. I eventually threw the clock out.

Previous version of my review:
Title - Completely silent. Exactly what I wanted.
All I wanted was a wall clock that didn't have a loud annoying ticking sound every second. This clock is completely quiet and it works. The end.
on May 2, 2013
I love the quiet sweep hand. Like an old fashioned electric clock. It's beautiful and so far, about 1 week, it has kept perfect time. I compare it to my atomic watch that resets itself every night. I think it is worth the extra expense over all the $20 wall clocks.

Update 6/21/13
After 2 months the clock is still completely silent and has gained exactly 1 second. I have other clocks that can go off a minute in 2 months. I still love this clock.
on September 7, 2015
This is a very nice clock but the silver-gray-black scheme can be hard to read in dimmer light. I have it in our home office which has plenty of light so it's not a problem but if you have poor eyesight or "mood lighting" you may have trouble reading it.

I'm a fan of electric clocks going back to the early 20th century. As a kid, watching the smooth motion of the sweep second hand was mesmerizing. I have quite a collection of Telechron/GE clocks but there are some places I want a clock and not a cord. When I saw Seiko was making battery-powered clocks with the smooth-motion sweep second hand, I had to have a couple.