5.0 out of 5 stars A fine example of Seiko craftsmanship!
Published 12 months ago by Cowboy

3.0 out of 5 stars Automatic Movement in this VERY slow everyday--back it goes.
Published 2 months ago by RobAngel

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine example of Seiko craftsmanship!, September 13, 2013
This review is from: Seiko Divers Automatic Black Dial Stainless Steel Mens Watch SRP313 (Watch)
The accuracy is truly outstanding - especially in light of the tendency of automatic watches to vary. Structurally, one couldn't ask for more, as it is well-made and solid. It is easy to read in darkened conditions. Get it wet? No problem! The 2nd. generation hacking and hand winding features are welcome and work properly. If you are a fan of rubber watch straps, the one supplied with the watch is a fine example thereof. If you aren't a fan, either a good-quality nylon strap or the fine original equipment metal bracelet are readily available, easily installed, and affordable. Aesthetically, it's a handsome timepiece that you can proudly wear in the water or with formal attire - plus all the places where most of us spend the greater percentage of our lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dracula Bites Back, December 3, 2013
This is a great watch ! It has great wrist presence and just looks so cool, WAY better in person than in photo's. This "Dracula" monster (nicknamed due to the blood red on the "fangs"...) will bite back though. Operating the crown can be a pain in the...thumb. The lower part of the case where it meets the crown was very sharp. Not sharp enough to draw blood (yeah, you'd like that, wouldn't you Count ?), but enough to be unpleasant. I think it was just a one off thing as my other Seiko's are finished to perfection. No big deal, a very very very fine rat-tail file/rasp and 2 minutes fixed everything.

That one very minor quibble notwithstanding, this is a fine watch. Seems to be running 4 - 5 seconds slow a day right now, which is perfectly acceptable. COSC will allow a movement to be -4 a day and still pass it as a Certified Chronometer. The fact that this generation Monster has a hand windable, hacking movement is a welcome improvement over first gen Monsters as well.

It's a Seiko. My 6th Seiko. Seiko never cease to amaze me with the quality of their affordable watches. For the price of a good night out and ungodly hangover, you're getting a timepiece, with proper care, to be passed from one generation to the next.

5.0 out of 5 stars I simply love it, April 17, 2014
I own a Breitling navitimer cosmonaut, a Hamilton jazzmaster, a Tissot v8, a Certina podium and a host of other watches of many makes... Having said that I was more excited when I first got it than many of the models mentioned above, it immediately grew on my heart.

I wanted a diver watch that did not look like or try to look like a rolex submariner...This watch looks exceptionally beautiful in its own way, well built and great lume.
A perfect weekend watch at a great value.

P.S: The watch is much nicer than in the picture.

Review update:
After a couple of days of trails.
Pros:
1. Solid build and operation.
2. Not much time loss or gain, a few seconds so far. (which is pretty good for an automatic watch).
2. Is not heavy on the wrist or clunky.

Cons:
1. The crown is a bit awkward to handle, but not a real bother.

Advice: Swap the rubber bands with a nato strap.

3.0 out of 5 stars Automatic Movement in this VERY slow everyday--back it goes., June 26, 2014
I have six Seiko divers watches, including four with the automatic movement that this watch has--the somewhat new Seiko 4R36. For automatics under $500, you really can't expect accuracy plus or minus of more than 15 seconds a day, but usually it's closer to 6 to maybe 10 seconds, plus or minus. It's really often 'luck of the draw', Knowing this is a possibility, watch companies usually set their machinery tolerances to if anything, err on the side of running a tad bit fast each day. If it can't be acurate within a few seconds overall, people would rather be a bit more early than late, I suppose--and I'm in that bunch.

ALL four of my Seikos with this 4R36 movement, run SLOW. That's unacceptable to me. I wanted this SRP313 for a while--I like the look of the watch face, but it is going BACK, because it runs 30 plus seconds a day slow EVERY day. I can deal with a watch being a bit fast--I won't miss an important meeting or plane flight. But when you're losing 3 or 4 minutes a week, it is an issue to me. I don't want to undo the screwdown crown often(normally it' a very desirable feature) as it takes wear and tear toll on the watch and I shouldn't have to do it every week anyhow, as long as I'm wearing it every day or so.

The 4R36 movement was supposedly an upgrade of the that began to really come out in late 2011, succeeding Seiko's 7S36 movement, for which other than it not hacking or being hand windable, I was (and still am) quite happy with. Unlike most of the Seiko automatic movement diver watches before, it 'Hacks and Winds' which means you can stop the second and hour hands right where you want them for accurate resetting--previously that was more difficult, as when you had the crown pulled out for resetting, the second hand in particular was always sort of 'surging' forward, requiring frequent little dial backs. In and of itself the ability to hack and wind would be good. Being able to hand wind, if you remember to, you can do it so it won't run out of power and stop 40 hours after you took it off--saving you from resetting later. (but you still have to unscrew the crown).

More expensive automatic watch movements typically last longer before running out of power when unworn. A screwdown crown is something I feel is important to ANY quality watch that might see water--even washing your hands. Most diver watches rated below 200 meters have it. Many watches are ruined by crowns that weren't pushed in, or by people who didn't screw their crowns all the way in.

OK--cosmetics--hard to see on-line, but the bezel and face are as you see--I think very attractive up top--if unabashedly masculine. The bezel front and the base of the watch are brushed steel. The stock rubber band is nicer than the rubber wristbands on most other Seiko divers--it's softer and looks different, has some additional details like vent holes. I like the brushed steel, but the sides of the bezel are brilliant shiney chrome like steel, which clashes garishly with the rest of the metal--most of the metal, except the side of the bezel and the band's tang clasp/buckle is brushed stainless. The shiney chrome like steel looks 'plasticky'. Go with one or the other, I say--not a mish mash. Furthermore--and I have seem some say they actually took a fine jeweler's file to it--the brushed metal guards that surround the bezel from the top--10:30 to 1:30 and bottom, from 4:00 to 7:30, are very sharply edged, with points that could rip a neoprene diving glove--or even make a bare hand's fingers uncomfortable.

As said, I like the black face--(with the white teeth fringed in red), a lot, and the band--and perhaps if this watch wasn't so darn slow every day, I might possibly keep it (chrome and brushed steel and all) and rotate it with my others, but after 4 Seikos with this new movement, all slow and this one so much slower than the others, back it's going!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch!, October 31, 2013
Nice price for the Black Monster! Easy ordering and quick shipping. I've had numerous Seiko dive watches over my 35 plus years of diving. They've all performed very well! The Black Monster has a rugged look as most dive watches do. The watch has a thick rotating bezel, which does not move unless you move it. Love the black rubber band and they always hold up over time. You can get a metal band to replace the rubber, if you don't like that type of fit or style. Don't let the watch sit too long though, such as a day or longer - or the watch will stop and you will have to reset the time. Might purchase the orange face next. Also, as some have previously mentioned, there is no Seiko warranty information included, which could be suspect but I'm pleased with the overall purchase and the watch is working just fine. I would highly recommend the watch to others and for the price -- it's a no brainer if you like Seiko dive watches. Enjoy and dive deep!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite watch, June 7, 2013
I love this watch. It's built like a tank. The accuracy leaves more to be desired however, -10sec a day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch, May 16, 2014
Nice watch but Amazon shows the dial w/ Japan at the bottom and lists it as the SRP313J1 (Japan) model under PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS but it's the K model. I returned mine and have asked several other sellers and all have told me they are selling the same K model.

So if you're specifically looking for the J model ask the seller before you purchase and don't go by Amazons description.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great first Diver, October 30, 2013
E. Stuard (Cincinnati, OH) - See all my reviews
Lets get something straight first. I'm not a diver. Never have been and probably never will be. I do however, beat the living heck out of my watches; mostly on fishing trips. My fondest hope was that as my first foray into automatic dive watches, the 2nd Gen Monster would prove my match. So far, so good. The watch doesn't even come close to the accuracy of my Citizen Eco-Drive, which has lost maybe a second over the last 9 months. We're talking maybe 5-10 seconds a day with the Monster. You're not getting atomic time out of one of these things. Keep it wound and it won't disappoint.

Despite the price, you're paying for the nostalgia and 'cool factor' of owning something that would have probably graced the wrist of your grand dad, had it existed back in the day.The Lume is great but not what it was on a 1st gen monster, my friend owns. The silicone strap is a throwaway and I don't like metal bracelets on watches (both pinch and pull hairs too much), so I mostly rely on Nato bands and more often, a Chums band. They're far more comfortable. After reading one of the reviews here stating this was a gray market item, I contacted them and they said they'd honor the two year warranty, despite there not being any warranty card in the box. Sounds hinky, but in these days of online buying and convoluted supply chains, Amazon is one of the few places where something like that can be taken on it's merits.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am very pleased to say that my 2nd gen, August 3, 2014
I bought this watch in July 2014 and it was delivered on 7-10-14. I own several dive watches-- Omega Seamaster Pro,Momentum M1 Pro, and Momentum M50 DSS, all of which are quartz movement. I wanted an automatic diver. I had heard and read about Seiko Monsters for years and had considered buying one for years, but there were several reviews which were critical of the accuracy of the Monster. But when Seiko came out with a 2nd gen. monster with an improved 24 jewel movement and new dial design, I researched it. Several of the reviews stated that accuracy had been improved as well as the addition of hand winding and hacking. So I pulled the trigger.When you buy any automatic at this price point spot-on accuracy is a hit-or-miss prospect. If you want spot on accuracy in a watch, buy a quartz atomic digital which adjusts to the atomic clock in Ft. Collins, Colorado on a daily basis. If you want near spot-on accuracy in an automatic, expect to pay several Ks for a swiss certified chronometer. I am very pleased to say that my 2nd gen. monster is as accurate as my Omega Constellation cert. chron. I guess I am one of the lucky ones who got an accurate Monster right out riright

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Seiko diver!!, August 10, 2014
Very nice Seiko dive watch here. It's very comfortable on the rubber strap, it looks cool with the way the case is designed, and with the "shark tooth" hour markers. It's great having an automatic that you can hand wind and with a hacking movement so that you can set it accurately. Seiko has some of the best luminosity on dive watches that I've ever seen. (look at the pic I posted) This is a deal that's hard to beat for a watch that looks cool, is very comfortable, and is functional -- it would serve well as a dive watch for those who dive, or just make the rest of us look the part!

Rate and Discover Movies