5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome watch for great price
Published on August 18, 2006 by Seth

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice appearance, losing time, poor instructions
For ~$100 it is fine. After 2 years it seems to be losing time. After 6 months or chronograph hands no longer reset to their home position. I am in agreement with the problem of poor instructions. It took research to find out about the crown having to be unscrewed in order to set the time.
Published on October 12, 2010 by AlfDav

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome watch for great price, August 18, 2006
This review is from: Seiko Men's SND253 Tachymeter Watch (Watch)
Love the watch. Looks much more expensive the actual price. The only complaint I have is I almost ruined it trying to pull out the crown to set the date. Apparently all Seiko's have a screw down crown. The instruction book had no mention of this. I thought it was just stuck and tried pulling and prying it out and scuffed up my new watchs crown a little. After looking for some help on the web, I saw many Seiko's have a screw down crown and figured it out. Just FYI for other buyers.

5.0 out of 5 stars The watch model that will not retire., November 30, 2007
This review is from: Seiko Men's SND253 Tachymeter Watch (Watch)
I purchased the white faced version of this same watch back in early '03, and I'm quite certain it was on the market a year or two before that. It kept very good time. The battery in it has died by now and I'm reluctant to have it replaced as the local jewley store scratched the back of my favored Seiko Moon Watch made in the '80s replacing it's battery. This model was my second Seiko since the Moon Watch and it started my journey into bankruptcy as I'm now a Seiko collector.
What I can tell you about this present model is that Black is Beautiful and the legibility is significantly better than the white faced model now retired. When you look at it on your wrist you too may say, " Man, that looks good ". It is not overbearing in size.
Now if you want to get the particular set of instructions for the watch case, not the caliber, though that's availible as well, follow this proceedure, it's in Flash formatted software so browser cut & pasting won't quite work....

Seikousa > 'FAQ' (at the bottom) > question #15 > 'case functions' (at the bottom as well ) you'll receive a 4 page pdf describing the slide rule, et all... And please realize in this day and age, it is really only a novelty, GPS & hand calculators have far far better resolutions. This is what they had availible in the '50s.

At Amazon's price, at this point in time, it is a good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this watch!, December 23, 2007
This review is from: Seiko Men's SND253 Tachymeter Watch (Watch)
OK, I'm a geek. And I absolutely love this watch! I have a Seiko similar to it but it has a blue face and the bezel doesn't rotate (no extra functions). Someday I imagine that I'll actually sit down with the instructions and figure out what you can do with this new Seiko but for now I'll just enjoy it for being geeky and attractive.

Oh, and check the first review by Seth re. the screw down crown. I did the very same thing, scratching up the crown and breaking nails right and left. I just HAPPENED to twist it the right way and it unscrewed for me... felt so ignorant I had to go have a cigarette and a cup of coffee!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Watch, January 9, 2007
Haroldo (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seiko Men's SND253 Tachymeter Watch (Watch)
I have some comments about this watch. The first time I use it, afterwords a small spot appeared in the lock. Not a scratch, a spot. I tried to remove it with a piece of cloth, but I couldn't. I still don't know what it is, people say that it could be a chemical reaction because of my sweat, but the lock material is apparently stainless steel.

The E6-B rule bezel is incomplete, however operational. For a perfect calculation, you must have a "mirror" of the main functions of the rule bezel printed within the watch, just like any Jeppesen Computer. Although I knew this when I bought the watch, it's still important to mention that. There are watches in the market with a complete E6-B rule bezel.

I still recommend this watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seiko SND253, May 27, 2008
This review is from: Seiko Men's SND253 Tachymeter Watch (Watch)
Quick shipping and great price. Stopwatch is easy to use and easy to read - has standard lap & split timing functions to 1/20 of a second. Watch has more other features than I'll ever use. Only problem is the numbers on the outside dial to measure aviation functions (time-speed-distance like a CR or E6-B circular slide rule) are so small, you need a magnifying glass to read them. It took me a week to find the owner's manual & warranty hidden in a "secret" compartment in the box, but the manual doesn't go into any detail about functions other than setting the time and operating the stopwatch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very beautiful watch, must know about "screw-down locking crown", April 30, 2008
This review is from: Seiko Men's SND253 Tachymeter Watch (Watch)
Very beautiful watch, 40mm dial is not to big its looks great. Only complain I have with it's help book because It doesn't explain how to set the time I spend more then 3 hours to pull out it's crown, actually it has "screw-down locking crown" that mean you can't pull crown directly as we do in most of watch, it's crown is screw bases so first we have to rotate the crown toward bottom of the watch then only we can pull the crown and after setting date and time we have to press the crown and then need to rotate it towards top of the watch.
Above faction is not written anywhere in booklet comes with watch, that's why I am going to give it 4 star only.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seiko makes another great timepiece!, June 13, 2007
This review is from: Seiko Men's SND253 Tachymeter Watch (Watch)
Great watch for the price. Sturdy and stylish. Easy-to-read to read. Wind-out stem a plus that shows off the craftsmanship. Solid, but not as bulky or heavy as other chronographs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, January 30, 2010
This review is from: Seiko Men's SND253 Tachymeter Watch (Watch)
The watch is exactly what I imagined thanks to the description made. I is a nice, precise and solid watch (not taken a second during a month).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch for the money, Keeps very accurate time!, December 17, 2008
This review is from: Seiko Men's SND253 Tachymeter Watch (Watch)
I really enjoy wearing this watch. It goes well with black formal. I do have to admit that I am not a pilot and do not use most of the function that a tachyometer watch is designed for, but I use the date and time and that has never failed me. The links and Stainless steel are not as hardy as I though by the picture, but are still very nice and do not look cheap in any way. Links are also available online pretty easily through a popular search engine. I would recommend this watch to anybody needing a black face within a lower budget, but does not want garbage!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous watch, no doubt, June 5, 2008
This review is from: Seiko Men's SND253 Tachymeter Watch (Watch)
Received it soon after purchasing, great looking and functionality. Not much complain about it except some suggestions: watch band is a little bit large for me and setting bottom is not easy to pull out, but you will have no problem once you get familiar with it. Good one, I just love it!

Seiko Men's SND253 Tachymeter Watch