Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on August 18, 2006
Love the watch. Looks much more expensive the actual price. The only complaint I have is I almost ruined it trying to pull out the crown to set the date. Apparently all Seiko's have a screw down crown. The instruction book had no mention of this. I thought it was just stuck and tried pulling and prying it out and scuffed up my new watchs crown a little. After looking for some help on the web, I saw many Seiko's have a screw down crown and figured it out. Just FYI for other buyers.
44 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 30, 2007
I purchased the white faced version of this same watch back in early '03, and I'm quite certain it was on the market a year or two before that. It kept very good time. The battery in it has died by now and I'm reluctant to have it replaced as the local jewley store scratched the back of my favored Seiko Moon Watch made in the '80s replacing it's battery. This model was my second Seiko since the Moon Watch and it started my journey into bankruptcy as I'm now a Seiko collector.
What I can tell you about this present model is that Black is Beautiful and the legibility is significantly better than the white faced model now retired. When you look at it on your wrist you too may say, " Man, that looks good ". It is not overbearing in size.
Now if you want to get the particular set of instructions for the watch case, not the caliber, though that's availible as well, follow this proceedure, it's in Flash formatted software so browser cut & pasting won't quite work....

Seikousa > 'FAQ' (at the bottom) > question #15 > 'case functions' (at the bottom as well ) you'll receive a 4 page pdf describing the slide rule, et all... And please realize in this day and age, it is really only a novelty, GPS & hand calculators have far far better resolutions. This is what they had availible in the '50s.

At Amazon's price, at this point in time, it is a good buy.
on March 30, 2012
This watch cannot be beat for the price and the quality. Seiko comes through again. No one makes a better watch in this category for under 300.00 bucks! This one nicknamed the "Blackhawk" by Seiko collectors is easy to like. Citizen makes a Blue angel combo ana/digital version that costs more and will give most simple users a fit when trying to just simply change the time. The Seiko BLACKHAWK will be your watch for daily or weekend use while dressy enough for shirts at the office or a jump into the pool. I own many Seiko's and know that the price on them just continues to go up while not breaking the bank to own many of them. I wear and love all my Seiko's although I own many watches costing thousands more. This watch keeps excellent time and I have not been put off that it is a quartz vs. an automatic movement. The face is bold enough to see all on it without having to lean into it to see time and use features. The band is good quality and has pin adjusting vs. hollow links that are cheaper and feel flimsy. Bottom line is get one prior to it being gone at under 150.00 these will not last long in the lineup. Amazon service is excellent and prime was worth it for me to get all my watches in two days with free shipment.
on October 3, 2013
. . nobody does good looking affordable chronos quite like Seiko. They make seemingly hundreds of them in all sizes, types and complications. This one is no exception to Seiko's commitment to looks and value. It was between this one and the Solar SSC009 - but that one was bigger, louder and just screamed "PILOT WATCH". The SND253 is 39mm across and 46 mm lug to lug, which is perfect. If you have larger wrists the Solar is a great watch with an alarm/dual time dial. But the SND253 is more subtle (if that's possible with a watch this complicated) and wears nicely in a variety of settings.

No, I'll never use the slide rule bezels and fuel consumption markers but who cares - it just looks cool. The hands line up and snap back and it keeps great time. The bracelet is fine - not great but acceptable at this price point. Very comfortable to wear. A steal at less than $150.00.
on September 12, 2012
I'm not much of a watch wearer other than wearing one when I dress up, as I'm usually a shorts and polo kinda guy. After 6 years this watch is still like new. It's the Seiko quality I remember growing up since my dad had a Seiko he purchased in Tokyo back in the 60s. This watch reminds me alot of that watch and seems to be nothing more than an upgraded version. I have friends who have Citizen watches and I think this one blows those away.
on July 16, 2015
Nothing wrong with this watch. Wears much smaller than actual size. The detail on the dial is much less noticeable in person then in the pictures. The band and watch feel very light and cheap. I have many watches and many Seiko's. I was very disappointed in this watch. It was returned the same day. Others may like the watch, it just wasn't was I was expecting for Seiko .
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 26, 2014
comes with instructions on how to set everything. from other reviews I read, wondering if they bought from legit source? also it comes with SEIKO Certificate of Guarantee. It's no fake. I especially like the adjustable bracelet and high quality stainless steel. Really nice watch for the coin and its a SEIKO!
on January 25, 2016
You can buy this watch for $100 on here or go to any watch store and spend $300. With that in mind, it's a very good watch for three hundred bucks. I bought it to wear in the lab, because of the cost. I set it once and it kept time within a second for 6 months so far. It's very durable, although with time, the print on the dial will probably rub off.
on January 9, 2007
I have some comments about this watch. The first time I use it, afterwords a small spot appeared in the lock. Not a scratch, a spot. I tried to remove it with a piece of cloth, but I couldn't. I still don't know what it is, people say that it could be a chemical reaction because of my sweat, but the lock material is apparently stainless steel.

The E6-B rule bezel is incomplete, however operational. For a perfect calculation, you must have a "mirror" of the main functions of the rule bezel printed within the watch, just like any Jeppesen Computer. Although I knew this when I bought the watch, it's still important to mention that. There are watches in the market with a complete E6-B rule bezel.

I still recommend this watch.
on December 23, 2007
OK, I'm a geek. And I absolutely love this watch! I have a Seiko similar to it but it has a blue face and the bezel doesn't rotate (no extra functions). Someday I imagine that I'll actually sit down with the instructions and figure out what you can do with this new Seiko but for now I'll just enjoy it for being geeky and attractive.

Oh, and check the first review by Seth re. the screw down crown. I did the very same thing, scratching up the crown and breaking nails right and left. I just HAPPENED to twist it the right way and it unscrewed for me... felt so ignorant I had to go have a cigarette and a cup of coffee!