Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

on June 6, 2011
As I've been getting older, my eyesight has gotten worse and I'm too vain to wear my reading glasses all the time. So I've been looking for a watch that meet these requirements:

1. I wanted a military-style watch with a plain black face which had white numbers (no dots or dashes for the hours). I didn't want a "busy" face or one with a chronograph since I can't read the small dials of a chronograph anyway. It also had to have W-I-D-E minute and hour arms to be easily readable without my reading glasses.

2. I have a skinny wrist (7.5"). I found lots of military-style watches that I liked, but most of them were 44mm. The current trend is to go for large watches, but a 44mm watch looked like a wall clock on my my wrist. I needed a watch that was no bigger than 40mm.

3. I wanted a watch that was no thicker than 11mm which makes it easier to wear under a long sleeve shirt. I also found thick watches (like diving watches) are too heavy and I kept banging into things with them.

4. It had to be water resistant to 100M since I'm always around water. I also found watches that are water resistant to 100M are better built and more durable.

5. It could NOT be powered by a replaceable battery. From my experience, the battery always fails when you're in a remote area without access to a new battery or the means to replace it. My ideal watch had to be an automatic or solar powered.

6 The watch had to less than US$150.

It took me awhile to find a watch that met all my requirements, but it was the Seiko SNE095P2 solar powered quartz watch. It might be too plain for most guys, especially the younger ones, but it met all my needs.

One of the first watches that I ever had was a Seiko when I was 10 years old so it felt good to get back to one after 45 years. I also felt confident that the Seiko quality wouldn't fail me. I almost considered a similar Citizen Eco-Drive Watch, but Seiko has been making solar watches for almost as long as Citizen. In a side-by-side comparison, I liked the look of the Seiko over the Citizen.

I did replace the green canvas band with a Zulu one-piece "James Bond" nylon watch band which I find much better looking and more comfortable to wear. If you decide to replace it with a Zulu watch band, be sure to get an original and not a knock-off from China. If you want more "bling", you could replace it with a metal bracelet, but I find metal bracelets too heavy.

Overall, I'm very pleased with my watch. It's very readable without me having to use my reading glasses although I can't read the weekday and day function. The minute and hour hands and the 12, 6, and 9 hours are luminescent after exposure to light for a couple of hours. It's also very accurate. After a couple of weeks, I haven't notice any loss or gain in time.

If you need a military-style watch and you have the same requirements that I have, I highly recommend that you consider this watch.
44 comments|89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2012
I really like this watch. After replacing many batteries at increasing costs and inconvenience, I knew I wanted a solar powered watch, a no-nonsense, accurate, easily readable, strap-banded, quartz-movement instrument, and this fit the bill. I like the black background and it is very readible, even when dark thanks to the luminous hands. It looks rugged and military-like with smaller 24 hr markers inside the 12 hr numbers. I find the nylon band very comfortable and I like its unusual dull olive color. The only downside, although minor, was the manual which covers several models; the English version describing how to set the date and day doesn't make sense...like a lot of the manuals apparently translated from a foreign language. However it does offer understandable and useful information on how long it takes to acquire a full solar charge for this particular model under different lighting conditions and how long a full charge will keep the watch running if not in daylight, which is reassuring. Great watch.
on February 22, 2015
I bought this watch to replace an antique automatic watch that finally gave up the ghost. I loved the automatic watch, but it required so much TLC it was more like a pet than a reliable tool. I was looking for something more dependable and utilitarian.

This watch was running when I took it out of the box (which surprised me). It gained 2 min during the first night I had it, but it's been keeping great perfect time since then. Electronics do strange things when they don't get the voltage they need, so I'd imagine that the drift that first night was due to a low battery. It seems to gather plenty of light from ordinary wearing. I like the looks of this watch. It appears militaristic with the drab olive band but could look sporty or dressy with a polymer or leather band.

Pros:
- Doesn't need to be wound or worn to stay charged up
- Runs for weeks or months between without charging while automatics wind down after a couple days
- Keeps much better time than most automatics
- I like the face and find the numbers easy to read
- It seems like a pretty good value for the price. I trust it, but I'm not afraid of actually wearing it.

Cons:
- The band it a bit scratchy, but may be more comfortable once it wears in. It would be easy to replace though
- The hands are a bit wider than I like, but that's pretty picky
- Purely subjective, but I miss the ticking sound of the automatic. This watch is virtually silent.

Will update if my opinion changes, but so far I'm liking the watch very much. Not perfect, but pretty darn solid for the price.
on October 25, 2012
I'm a senior, with that said, the watch is a good size, not too small or too large. The numbers are easy to read. I like a watch that shows the day of the week and day of the month and this watch has that feature. I have a small wrist and on the last hole it fits comfortably. The wrist band looks sturdy and I happen to like the Army green color. I recently purchased a automatic watch and it drove me crazy (constantly the keeping time stopped-yikes). I have had an atomic watch which I have loved. This watch is a solar watch. I think the price on Amazon was a good value.
Grandma is happy with my choice of a new watch. I recommend the watch.
on February 22, 2012
I love this watch. First and foremost to me is its accuracy. Having wearing it for two weeks now, I am confident to say that its time keeping is within 5 seconds per month, measuring against the computer timer and the network timer. It trails a little off these two timers. A watch costing several times would not have this kind of performance. Second, its case size and thickness fit my wrist comfortably. Further, I have little doubt that its solar powered mechanism would keep functioning without need of care for the next ten to fifteen years. I do have a few annoyances with the watch, but none of which severe enough for me to downgrade its value. The stainless steel case is overly shinny; easily blinds my sight to read time accurately. Also, the nylon band is too scratchy. It collects lints; and I have to pick and clean it everyday. A leather band would be a better choice. All things considered I recommend this Seiko watch highly.
on January 7, 2013
wanted a watch simple in features, and classic in looks. Think this is spot on. Liked the green canvas band, but changed it out to leather band. I have never had a watch where the luminous hands worked so well. Like the solar so don't have to worrier about batteries! Well made great watch.
on February 12, 2013
I love everything about this Seiko. Just a perfect size for my wrist, without being heavy.
Looks much nicer than the picture and I love the solar because I
never have to get a new battery. This is a man's watch and I suspect
it will last as long as my last solar watch which I still have hanging
around. Like my last watch this new one has the big numbers
that are really easy to see with my old eyes. The numbers are stylishlly
arranged around the dial. I did change the band to a black rubber one
which beautifully complements the black face of the watch.
on September 10, 2014
Received quickly and in great shape. Have had it about 3 weeks now. Keeps time pretty well as far as accuracy. Night illumination leaves a bit to be desired. Warranty easy to fill out online. I appreciated the longer collar on the stem which helps it from snagging on my sleeve. Charges quickly the first time and doesn't appear to need much sunlight. I guess time will tell how this wears!
on December 19, 2012
I've had this watch for two weeks and it hasn't deviated one second from the atomic standard. The face is elegant, simple, and very clean. The face is not particularly large as compared to the "Flava Flav" timepieces that we're seeing on wrists these days, so you hardly know this watch is there and there's nothing poking you in the wrist, either. I love the nod to the older military watches with the green strap, as well. Very happy with this purchase.
on June 25, 2013
After one full day of wearing the watch in bright sunlight the sweep second hand continued to move in two second increments, and the watch stopped completely very soon after I set it on a table. I called Amazon to ask about the watch and they told me to contact Seiko direct, which I did, Seiko NA told me that it was not one of their watches. Really? Seiko NA said that it was not a Seiko North America product and they would only look at the watch if I agreed to pay them for the service.

I called Amazon again and told them what Seiko NA had told me and they said I should contact the seller, which because I was not paying attention when I bought the watch I learned was not Amazon. Amazon fulfilled the order, but it was sold by a third party.

Now feeling uncomfortable I returned the watch to Amazon and then contacted the seller, who to this date has never bothered to answer my questions: Was it normal for the watch to continue to sweep in two second increments and was it normal to stop running very quickly after a day in sunlight?

In the future I will not buy a watch from Amazon unless they are both the seller and fulfiller.