Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Seiko Men's SSC013 White Dial Watch
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on August 27, 2012
I have had this watch for almost two weeks now. I set it in sync with the US Naval Observatory Master Clock the first day I got it and it has only gained about a half a second in 10 days. I am an F-16 pilot and have owned and still own many watches, from Timex to Rolex and this is the most accurate I have ever owned by a long shot. It is also very comfortable on the wrist with the leather band.

The date window is just a little on the small side, and the numbers on the inner ring of the E6B-type flight computer comprising the bezel are quite small, but still OK and the quality/accuracy of the bezel computer (circular slide rule) is quite good. The main reason I got this white-faced version of this watch instead of the black-faced SSC009 is I thought the inner bezel would be easier to read black-on-white rather than the opposite. That's probably true but hard to say after seeing it in person (I did all my comparisons online and never held a real on in my hands until mine arrived). I also particularly like all the conversion scales on the outer bezel. None of the other E6B-style watches I shopped had as nice a conversion scale layout.

I have not used the alarm feature, rather, I use the alarm dial for its secondary purpose of setting a second time zone (GMT, in my case, as an aviator), and it works great for this. Seiko doesn't really emphasize this second time zone feature in their ad copy about this and similar SSC-series watches but it works very nicely.

Potential customers should also know it lacks a screw-down crown, which surprised me, but nevertheless it is supposed to be good to 100m. I don't plan to dive with it though, so I'm not concerned about the lack of screw-down crown. It takes a decent amount of force to withdraw the crown so there seems little danger of accidently having it pull out and disturb one's "time hack."

I recognize most customers for this watch won't be using the E6B, and might not even care about the outstanding accuracy, or that it is solar/light powered, but you probably do care that it's a looker! I showed my wife pictures of both the SSC013 and the SSC009 before I made my choice. I think she actually liked the 009 better (in the photos) but she can't stop commenting on how nice the SSC013 looks in person. In fact, SHE loves to wear it and I will likely end up getting her one of her own.

I'm giving it five stars based first and foremost on the superb accuracy.
22 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 18, 2013
I'm very satisfied this excellent wathces! Look for my additional photos to see details of this watches. And another one thing - the color of the band is dark BROWN! Very thank you!
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
on October 16, 2012
Things I think you should know: 1. The band is a deep brown - chocolate color with white stitching down the sides. The photo makes the band appear black. 2. How the bezel is pictured makes the watch seem like it is just a white face with black peripherials - this is not the case. The body of the watch is stainless, the band is chocolate with white stitching, and the bezel -while black- has the slide rule markings in silver so the bezel is mostly the same color as the body. The white color of the face stands out and the black bezel provides nice contrast.

I use this watch just as a general timepiece. I am a big guy and this watch fits my wrist just right. When you get this watch give it a couple of days on your wrist to let the leather band break in before you worry about the fit. Like a pair of quality leather dress shoes it takes some break in time. I read the only review on this watch from the pilot and my only concern was when he mentioned that his wife borrowed/wanted to wear his watch. This comment concerned me because I thought the watch would have a small face (my logic: if his wife wears it, it is too small for me since I have a large wrist. I am 6'3" and 270lbs and while I don't want an over-the-top gigantic (rockstar/rapper gaudy monstrosity) I do like a decent size watch. I'm sure that is not what the original reviewer meant to convey - that was just what I read into it. Worst case go to your local jewelry shop and try on a watch with the same measurements and see how the face fits your wrist.

I hope this has helped you in your purchasing decision. The other review was very technical and contained great information on the watch performance. I wanted to follow up his review with one that was focused more on aesthetics since that is what is most important to me (other than a watch keeping accurate time and having the date displayed). Good luck with your decision!
on May 13, 2014
JUST literally rec'd this watch after a short vaca. Opened the box and it matched my expectations. The case diameter is all over the map on Amazon, but is even larger than my 5-star rated Seiko pilots chronograph flight computer model SNA413P. I would guess the case diameter is 45mm. This, to me, is a HUGE plus. Big enough to draw attention, yet small enough to not draw attention. Not gaudy at all. Looks like a Brietling. But still walks talks acts like a Seiko, another Plus to me. I wished the fine leather band was jus a lil wider, perhaps another 3-4 mm wider, but im splitting hairs, literally. Cant say much about functioning as im charging it now for its initial charge. Came in nice, ubiquitous Seiko blue box. First impressions are, nice stiching on classy dark brown leather band. Loved the polished hour markers giving watch a jewel like quality. But checkered pattern on bezel sides are 'eh'... not too heavy. Loved Big white faced dial. This will look terrific w a suit. The correct watches to wear w suits are NOT sports watches or big Rolex's. Correct ones are dark leather bands w white face and simple. But this watch has a lil sportiness w the dials, but I work where I may need some of these sporty features. Proud to yet have another 5-star rated Seiko. Laugh when I walk into boutique stores where some of the higher end watches look absolutely ATROCIOUS and costs 3-4 times MORE. No thanks to them, but Thank You Seiko.
on May 26, 2014
Bought this based on 1) Brand 2) Feedback ratings 3) Visual appeal 4) Mechanical features ( not necessarily in that order ).

I got this for my son on the occasion of his high school graduation, and chose it based on my criteria above.
I also figured that since I liked it, he probably would ( not very scientific, oh well ).
My expectations were confirmed by the look on his face when he opened the box: astonishment! Mission accomplished.

For those considering this watch; I'd recommend reviewing this and similar Seiko watches on u-tube, reviews, etc.
I did a *lot* of comparing before confirming this was the right watch for the price, features, visual appeal, etc.

For around $200, I think this is a great value.
on March 28, 2016
I love the style and details on this watch.

I had a hard time finding a Solar, white dial, Chronograph watch that was more technical than dressy. This one fits the bill and more.

The slide-rule comes with instructions and can be useful when calculating travel distances and conversions. Chronograph works flawlessly, and I'm finding the movement to be pretty accurate as well (+- ~ 3seconds per month).

The alarm is a nice bonus as my previous solar doesn't have this feature and I'm finding myself using it more often than I thought.

I swapped the band out for a NATO strap in Gulf Racing colors, and couldn't be happier.
on February 17, 2014
This watch is beautiful. Even though I had it on my Amazon wishlist, I was still surprised when I received it for Christmas. It's brown band is a great complement to any outfit, and the slide rule is easier to see than my Citizen Nighthawk. The stopwatch function is useful, too, but it is limited to one hour. Once it hits one hour, you may as well have forgotten about it - it resets to zero.
on January 31, 2015
Very nice E6B watch for the price. The white face provides a striking contrast to the dark slide-rule bezel and the fine leather band in brown. Integrated into the face are photovoltaics which keep the rechargeable battery supplied with energy. They're there but you can't see them. A very nice package - this watch will be noticed from across the room.

The layout is the standard that Seiko has used for years. The three subdials cover an alarm function, a second time zone capability like Zulu time, and the minute counter for the stop watch function.

The slide rule bezel has all the usual E6B functions you expect from one of these watches. With the contrasting white face this watch provides class and functionality in one well-built machine.
on May 10, 2016
The white face is an almost "icy" color. I would have preferred a more cream/pure white color but it's fine. The band is a dark brown, although it looks black in the picture. I replaced this with a lighter brown leather NATO strap and it looks much better.
on January 8, 2015
This is a very attractive watch, easy to use and easy to read.

I like the large white face since my eyesight isn't what it used to be! I need reading glasses to make out the fine print on the watch face, but the basic things, like time and stopwatch functions, are quite readable.

In the "Product Specifications" section on Amazon's description, it states "Bezel function - stationary". This is a mistake; the outer bezel does rotate. Along with the fixed inner dial ruler, which is part of the watch face, it forms a circular slide rule with two logarithmic scales, so you can use it to multiply, divide and more. Complete directions, with examples, are included. Although I went through college with a K&E Log Log Decitrig slide rule hanging from my belt, I don't think anyone uses those any more; they've been completely supplanted by electronic calculators. Additional features enable conversions between statue miles, nautical miles, and kilometers. You can also convert pounds of aviation fuel or oil to US gallons or imperial gallons, do speed calculations, and other good stuff. I doubt that anyone will really use these functions, but they do give the watch a distinctly hi-tech look.

Several people have mentioned that the alarm can be used as a clock for a different time zone. The instruction manual doesn't mention this, but it's pretty obvious - just set the alarm dial to the alternate time and then never set the alarm to sound.

The long second hand belongs to the stopwatch, not to the regular time display. Since I like to see a sweep second hand on the time display, I simply start the stopwatch synchronized with zero seconds on the time display. The second hand keeps going this way for an hour; then you have to restart the timer if you want a sweep second hand.

I like the solar power: No winding, no battery to replace, except maybe when the manganese-titanium-lithium battery gets too old to hold a charge. Seiko doesn't say how long those batteries will last, but other sources put their lifespan at decades, not years.

All in all, this is a high quality, really great-looking watch at a reasonable price.