5.0 out of 5 stars Small and functional
Published 23 months ago by Ralph Rosen

2.0 out of 5 stars Too noisy
This clock doesn't have a ticking second hand but the works still emit a constant irregular din. It might be OK for an office environment but it's too loud for the bedroom.

The alarm is also quite loud, which some people might like (I don't).
Published 16 months ago by Glenn Ammons

5.0 out of 5 stars Small and functional, September 30, 2012
I bought this made in China Seiko as a replacement for a 30 year old Becker from Germany. Although similar in design, the Seiko is quieter, easier to set and has a more pleasant alarm. And speaking of easy setting, if you hate fussing with those annoying buttons on LED clocks, this unit won't disappoint. It's small size and light weight also make it an ideal travel alarm. And, because it doesn't tick, you won't have the TSA calling in the airport bomb squad. It may seem a tad over-priced but if it lasts half as long as it's predecessor it will be worth the money to me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too noisy, April 16, 2013

The alarm is also quite loud, which some people might like (I don't).

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for bedside--and travel!!, May 28, 2013
Well now, this is a pleasure to review. I've had this for a couple weeks, replacing a different travel clock that broke.
First, it's small (2 1/4 x 2 1/4 x 1 9/32 inches). The silver colored case front sets off the matte black clock face nicely. The white numbers are adequately sized, as are the hands. The luminescent numerals and hands can easily be read at night--no necessity to press a button to illuminate.
The motor is "Silence Is Golden" quiet. I mean zero, zip, zilch sound. It is smoothly continuous, without annoying 'ticking' as the second hand advances. In fact, the only way you can hear the motor is if you physically hold the clock against your ear. (But if you want to sleep that way, Hey, who am I to argue)?
The alarm is certainly loud enough to penetrate ear plugs--four quick beeps, repeatedly. Alarm is set by moving the alarm hand only counter-clockwise. The time is set, moving the hands either way. And the time/alarm set button is held between thumb and forefinger, not by one of those fragile friction buttons you have to tinker with using just a forefinger.
Finally, it uses a single AA battery--available anywhere, and is housed in an easily opened (and easily snapped shut) receptacle.
The product insert states that the battery should last about 10 months.
In short, this was one of the best fifteen-dollar bills I've spent (I've sure enough spent more for less). And with Amazon Prime, to boot--truly a winner!

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect solution to a vexing night time problem, March 20, 2014
After two previous failed attempts to solve a vexing night time problem, this handy little Seiko quartz clock came to the rescue. The problem was, the clock radio with the red digital numerals is on my spouse's bedside table next to our king size bed. At night, when I have wanted to check the time, I had to wake up more than I wanted, roll over and prop myself up on my elbows to see over the pillows and said sleeping spouse and, without my essential eye glasses, try to make out the time. A huge hassle, that I rarely undertook. First, I tried having my own clock radio (too bright, too intrusive, too large). Next, I tried a battery-operated bedside clock with black LCD digital time with a so-called soft-lit green back screen. Whoa! A huge bright intrusion that literally cast green light on the opposite bedroom wall. Still desperate, I bought this little gem. Perfect! It's dead quiet (single battery operation) and with very low glow-in the dark numerals and clock hands. In the dark of night I can open one eye and easily check the time, even if its blurry to my near-sighted glassless eyes. Plus, the glowing numbers last all night. If need be I can reach up and pull the clock two inches in front of my eyeballs to see the time. I love this little device. I don't use the alarm function but I'm sure it works fine. It also has a nice little sweep second hand. I am now a very happy sleeper. Highest recommendation.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice while it worked, August 13, 2013
The Seiko QHE083SLH is a beautiful little clock. Whisper quiet, but the alarm is loud enough to wake a zombie. Glow paint on the dial works well. I loved it till it quit working after less than 3 months of ownership.

4.0 out of 5 stars quiet, April 2, 2013
always looking (Port Jefferson, New York USA) - See all my reviews
so far, it works really well, but had to sacrifice certain things, like no snooze alarm and no push to light button, in order to get a quiet alarm clock

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, December 27, 2012
R. Raiz (Cleveland Heights, OH United States) - See all my reviews
A good, if fragile, alarm clock. It is much smaller than appears in the picture. Keeps good time, although the mechanism that holds the battery is rather flimsy. If you don't have greats expectations this one fits the bill. I traveled with it recently and it served me fine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped Working Immediately, December 3, 2012
Nick (California, USA) - See all my reviews
I wasn't expecting much for the price, but this alarm clock stopped working almost immediately. After about a week, when it went off the alarm either failed to sound, was intermittent or was extremely faint, like some of the electronics aren't making contact properly. I can't use an alarm clock that won't sound, so there is nothing to recommend this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars This Clock is TINY, November 30, 2012
I should have noticed the dimensions, because this clock is really small. However, it's quite elegant and would be a good item to use for travel. I put it on a shelf in the bathroom in line with my height. All Seiko clocks I've owned have lasted forever, so I expect this to last a long time, unless I lose it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice and quiet, August 13, 2013
Margaret Moore (El Cerrito, CA, US) - See all my reviews
So far this clock has worked well for me. I like that it doesn't have that tic tic tic that most small clocks have. It looks good on my nightstand and I look forward to carrying it with me on trips. What could make it better is a small interior light that can be activated by a push so that I could see it in the dark without turning on a bedroom light. All in all, it seems solid and just about right!

Seiko Seiko QHE083SLH Alarm Clock - 2.25 in. Wide