5.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for
Published on September 6, 2011 by moniker

3.0 out of 5 stars Loud ticking, bad bracelet
Let me preface this review by saying that I LOVE Seiko watches. I own many Seikos including the SKX007 and SKX013 diver, the Orange Monster diver, SNA411, among others, and they are awesome. The build quality for price paid is rather good. This watch, however, did not live up to my expectations.

The reason is mostly due to the bracelet. Its rather cheap...
Published 21 months ago by Dave

5.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, September 6, 2011
This review is from: Seiko Men's SGG711 Black Dial Titanium Watch (Watch)
I have had this watch for about 3 weeks and I love it. I was looking for a nice analog watch to wear to work that had a metal band so it's easy to sterilize (I work at a hospital), a black face, day/date function, a slim case that isn't obnoxiously oversized like most 'fashion' watches, and numbers all around the dial. Overall, I wanted something with simple styling that I could wear with just about anything.

When I was waiting for my watch to arrive in the mail, I was worried that it wouldn't look very good in person or that it would be too big (I have smaller wrists) or that it would look like an old man watch (I'm in my 20s) or that I simply wouldn't like it, but when I opened the box, my worries were instantly assuaged. It looks better in person. It has slightly different coloring than in the picture. Since it is made out of titanium, it is a little darker in color, like more of a medium gray. Definitely not the standard silvery stainless steel that most watches are made out of. Also the face isn't dark inky black like in the picture, but sort of a 'light black' if you will, or a very very dark gray. I think all this makes a very cool looking watch, and in my opinion makes it look better than in the picture. The titanium gives it a lighter feel than you would expect. One cool thing I read about titanium is that due to its heat conductive properties, the metal doesn't feel cold when you first put it on like steel does. Although I don't have a steel watch to compare it to, I would still agree with this statement. Just some food for thought.

Function wise, this watch is flawless as one would expect from a Seiko. Do a search on Seiko's reputation and you will see what I mean. It has a high end quartz movement, and while it's a little expensive for quartz, you get what you pay for. The biggest benefit of quartz in my opinion is that it makes for a slimmer watch. The Seiko 5 watches with an automatic movement are between 10 and 13 mm thick, while this one is 8.3mm thick. Also, provided you change the battery every now and then, it should last forever.

Fashion wise, this watch is very versatile. I can wear it with scrubs, jeans or slacks. Also it is ideal for a large age range. I am in my early 20s and I think it has a more refined look than a Nixon, Fossil, G-shock or any other garish watch that the kids wear these days. But that doesn't necessarily make it a young persons watch. It wouldn't look out of place on a middle aged man either. Point is, no matter what age you are this watch will be seen in good taste.

Overall, this is a great watch. It is good looking, functional, versatile, and sells for a fair price. It looks even better in person. I would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, honest watch., September 12, 2008
Joshua Speer (Oakland, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seiko Men's SGG711 Black Dial Titanium Watch (Watch)
I couldn't be happier. I got this watch for daily use and it has held up well to the knocking about.
The titanium gives it a nice light feel and satisfies my inner metallurgist.
I especially like the combination day-of-week and day-of-month display and was relieved to find out that they could both be adjusted separately from the time.
While this isn't a very stylish watch I have worn it with a suit and didn't feel like a dork with a digital timex -- If you are limited to only one watch this is it!

5.0 out of 5 stars High Value Watch, May 21, 2010
This review is from: Seiko Men's SGG711 Black Dial Titanium Watch (Watch)
I was looking to buy an automatic certified chronometer because I thought I needed the best. Once I got myself down to my right size, I was able to find this little gem. I like the military arabic numeral face look, and this watch fits that bill. But more importantly, this watch represents VALUE: quality for a great price. It is comfortable to wear, easy to read, looks nice, and has a build quality that to me seems very acceptable. Sure, its not an Omega Seamaster, but it is a nice looking, well made watch, and by the way, it keeps very very good time. I have an atomic watch (sets itself to the atomic clock each night) and the seiko has kept within 2 seconds of that time for the past month or so. I can highly recommend this watch. For the price, it is a winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars A watch brimming with awesomeness!, August 9, 2012
This review is from: Seiko Men's SGG711 Black Dial Titanium Watch (Watch)
After years of buying crappy Timex watches at Kohls, I decided to splurge on a Seiko 6 years ago and I have never looked back. When that one finally tanked, I wanted another Seiko for sure, but was intrigued with the lightness and durability of titanium. So after reading the other reviews, and deciding that I didn't need a chronograph or alarm, I settled on this one. I've been wearing it for several days 24/7 (I even sleep with it) and I'm delighted with my purchase.

First, the titanium case and band are amazing; the watch is so light, you'd think it was made of cheap aluminum or something. Completely catches you off-guard if you are used to the the heft of stainless cases and bands.

Second, the watch is simple in look and function, which I like; a previous reviewer here who complained that he couldn't get the watch to keep the right day/date probably didn't realize the watch operates on two 12-hour cycles. So, for example, I received the watch at 11:00 AM and set the date and time. By 12:30, the date had changed. Clearly the watch 'thought' it was midnight, so I reset the date again, and that's all it took.

Third, the "Z" band that comes with this watch does not require the universal watch band link removal tool that is often offered on Amazon to those of us perusing watches here. The links were easy to remove and add with a small screwdriver or punch, and the clasp has additional incremental settings that allow fine tuning to your heart's content. I will caution, however, that any one with a desk job and a computer may find the "Z" band clasp will dig into your skin if your wrist lays flat on the table for long periods. Was a bother initially, but over the last few days it is no longer noticeable. If you're particularly sensitive to this kind of thing, you may want to consider something without a "Z" band.

Finally, I haven't fount the watch to catch on any items of clothing as others have mentioned. Maybe it's because I'm mostly wearing t-shirts and shorts, but it hasn't been an issue for me yet.

All in all, a good purchase so far. Will update here if something goes wrong.

Update September 2014
I still like this watch, but I should mention that the wristband 'pins' bent/broke after about 18 months. Not sure if it was something I did (I can be kind of rough on my watches), but I bought a couple of replacement pins on Amazon, and the thing was as good as new. Haven't had to change the battery even, but more importantly, the mechanism seems to withstand everything I throw at it. Biking, running, in the workshop, in the shower, on the water, in the surf...it just keeps on working, with no maintenance or water damage to the case yet. Mineral face is surprisingly robust, with only minor scratches over two years. Bought this for about $130 two years ago, so that's about $5/month for a robust titanium watch. Would buy one again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch, December 26, 2008
This review is from: Seiko Men's SGG711 Black Dial Titanium Watch (Watch)
My husband is delighted with this Seiko watch. The face can be read easily (important for us older people) and he likes the wrist band too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Loud ticking, bad bracelet, March 27, 2013
This review is from: Seiko Men's SGG711 Black Dial Titanium Watch (Watch)

The reason is mostly due to the bracelet. Its rather cheap feeling, having nothing to do with the weight as I know titanium is light (light weight being the reason I purchased this watch). The "folded link" style bracelet is rather difficult to resize, compared to the more common pin style. And even after achieving a proper sizing, the bracelet was not comfortable. The bracelet does not lay flat but retains a roundish shape, which doesn't really work since most wrists are oval shaped. Just wasn't feeling it, which surprised me because like I said I love almost all seikos that I have owned.

Secondly the ticking is loud. I have pretty good hearing so loud ticking drives me crazy, especially at night if I leave the watch on my nightstand. The ticking isn't quite as loud as Timex watches which are the loudest in my experience, but not much better. If you loud ticking bothers you then consider this point, if not don't worry about it. The quietest quartz movements I have owned are Citizen Eco-Drives and also Casios so I need to stick to those.

Bottom line is I returned this watch. First seiko I have ever returned. I do own and recommend the Seiko SGG731 Titanium watch. The bracelet is much better, ticking still loud but somewhat quieter, and it has a sapphire crystal. My only negative points with that watch is the bracelet clasp only has two micro-adjust holes which means if you need a 'perfect fit' you may not be able to attain it, and the watch is just a little thin for my tastes, but again it is a very nice piece.

I couldn't decide to go with 2 or 3 stars for this watch, so I went with 3 just because for the money here on amazon its still an nice piece. But if any of the above mentioned points would bother you perhaps you should consider one of seikos other models.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it and I want a new one identical to it!, December 4, 2011
This review is from: Seiko Men's SGG711 Black Dial Titanium Watch (Watch)
4 stars because it's getting very hard to position the stem so as to set the watch.
BUT -- I can't remember how long I've had it, but it's been at least 4 years -- long enough to have needed 2 new batteries.
BUT -- I never take it off except to shower. I mean NEVER -- I sleep with it on. It's actually pretty dirty in the spots that are hard to clean, and maybe that's the problem.
I've always liked Seiko quartz watches, and this one is my favorite by far. The watch is lightweight, easy to see, accurate. I also like its looks. I do not like wearing any gold or gold-tone; this watch is "silver" in appearance and I really like the black dial because the hands and markers really stand out.
I'm going to take it to a jeweler and see if they can clean and refurbish it -- at a reasonable price. If not, I'm going to buy the same watch again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch for a good price, December 28, 2010
Jin Zhu (North of Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seiko Men's SGG711 Black Dial Titanium Watch (Watch)
This Seiko watch is so light that I cannot even feel its weight on my wrist. Titanium is good -- lighter and stronger than steel. I paid $135 for it from Amazon and I am wearing it after spending $8 to have the band adjusted by a local WJ Watch Service store in Glenview, IL. The Roman numbers are easier to read (e.g. you can quickly recognize the correct position) than the other watches even in the same category which only have marks on hours.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected for 100 bucks, April 7, 2013
Dom Miliano (Denville, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Seiko Men's SGG711 Black Dial Titanium Watch (Watch)
The face of this Seiko reminds me of the Rolex Explorer - one of my favorite watches. Simple arabic numbers, day and date, titanium case and Seiko quality - it seemed to me like a bargain beyond my wildest dreams so I bought one.

When the watch arrived, I easily set the time, day and date and then set about adjusting the band. While I have a fat wrist, the band was just too big and I was even contemplating sending it back. Over breakfast the next day, I took the watch off and carefully examined the metal bracelet / band and discovered that you can remove links using a unique-to-Seiko technique. Cool! It took a bit of force to pull the band apart and adjust it to the size I wanted but I managed it and it's wearing well on my XXL wrist.

1 star for the titanium case. 1 star for Seiko quality, 1 star for the clear, simple dial, and 1 star for the day/date feature. It could be a 5 star watch but the size is smaller than the current larger-than-40mm style. I know I'm not really a follower of fashion but this watch is 37mm and the 3 missing mm's make it seem a little out of date. A small thing - again, I have a large wrist and that may not be an issue for you.

Need a simple, clean watch that won't break the bank? A watch that's less than the sales tax on a pricy mechanical model? Give this Seiko a look. You may be pleased. I know i am.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, fatal weakness, March 2, 2010
This review is from: Seiko Men's SGG711 Black Dial Titanium Watch (Watch)
I like everything about this watch ( thin, lightweight, easy to read ) but the knob catches on many items of clothing. This often pulls the knob out, which stops the watch, unbeknownst to its wearer. The result is you can't trust it to tell the time, which is a bad thing for a wristwatch. I have had it about 6 months, probably found that it had stopped 20 times or so. A few times I was aware of it, usually not. It has always been just the knob getting pulled out, presumably by clothing ( because I've seen it happen ).

Seiko Men's SGG711 Black Dial Titanium Watch