Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

on April 11, 2010
I've been wearing this watch, purchased from one of Amazon's partners, for about two weeks. I'm fairly abusive towards watches, having broken my original G-Shock when I was 10, running through a bunch of Swatches during an unfortunate "tween" fashion tragedy period in the 1980s, having my classic Rolex stolen out of a hotel in Alaska and, in the ultimate insult, losing my crappy Timex Iron Man at Scores in New York ten years ago. The reader might imagine some fairly lurid details, but the reality was fairly prosaic.

With that background, for a "desk diver" I nevertheless have a reasonably active lifestyle, with my share of dents, dings and bruises - so any watch that I wear that's going to last more than a few weekends has to be sturdy, waterproof and scratch resistant. So far, this watch appears to have the following features:
1) Highly scratch-resistant including both the crystal and the case;
2) Large and heavy - if you're a smaller guy, this watch will dominate your arm - it's big;
3) Initial charging took forever, despite wearing it fairly constantly;
4) I prefer the rubber strap because it's more comfortable and more functional;
5) Attractive - I haven't worn a watch in years, and people seem to like this one.

Seiko is not a "prestige" brand, and I considered mildly showing off with a Rolex or Omega. But I need function, I don't need to be concerned that my watch is going to be a $3 - 5K problem if I bang my wrist into something - and no one will honestly tell you that for the purpose of telling time you should get anything but quartz. If you're a horologist and must have the best complications, go spend $20K on a Patek with the moon phases or whatever turns your gears - this watch isn't for you.

After two weeks of running, lifting, chopping, digging, mowing, banging into things and a whole lot of sitting, this watch has proven itself reliable, accurate and as I mentioned above, highly scratch resistant. And heavy.

I give this watch "5 stars" for the price; it's a terrific piece of kit, looks the pants and it's priced such that if you do happen to break it, it's only a minor annoyance not a fiscal tragedy.
22 comments|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 7, 2011
This is a great watch. I have a similar watch (silver case, same band and face) that I lost. I bought this as a replacement and it is a great watch. When I later found my silver one (it went through the washer), I decided to keep them both. Since the silver one made it through thw washer just fine, I imagine this one would too.

However, I strongly recommend you buy it from a vendor other than bluedial watches. I noticed some condensation on the crystal and sent them an e-mail. The condensation went away and never came back, but the e-mail was never even answered. I left seller feedback and never heard back on that either. So, if you have a problem you're on your own -- consider that when choosing a vendor. Good watch, lousy supplier.
on June 4, 2011
I bought this watch a couple of months ago to act as an interim dive watch (My old Omega Seamaster was out for a much needed overhaul) and I have to say I am extremely pleasantly surprised. I love the Kinetic drive and the fact the power cell will run for years without needing to be replaced. Much better for the environment, and it is simply convenient. I am not easy on my watches, and one of my pet peeves is mineral crystals and how easily they can be scratched. However, the Hardlex crystal that Seiko uses for this watch seems to provide excellent scratch resistance without the brittle nature of Sapphire crystals. Time will tell just how durable this crystal is.
Make no mistake, this is no light-weight watch. The mechanical movement and large case of the watch make this one quite hefty. However, I became quite used to the heft of it fairly quickly, and now I do not notice it at all.
The watch is equipped with a charge indicator which moves the sweep second hand when you press a button above the crown. A full charge is indicated when the hand sweeps for a full thirty second range. I was quite surprised how quickly (after one week of wearing the watch) the power cell became fully charged. The luminescence of the markers and hands is exceptional for a watch of this mid-range price. I have had this watch at 50 feet and the legibility the lume provides is perfect. The bezel is uni-directional to prevent accidental movement in the wrong direction, and is sturdy and accurate, the movement is ratchet-like and precise. This is essential when you are using the watch to dive.
I was originally planning on replacing the Seiko rubber band with a Hadley-Roma rubber dive strap, but I was again pleasantly surprised. The band is extremely comfortable on my bare wrist, very flexible and durable, and stays put. It is eminently adjustable to fit well over my wet suit, and is just as stylish as the Hadley-Roma strap. I will not replace it until (if?) it wears out. Like all dive watches, it is imperative that you rinse the watch well after a salt-water dive with fresh water to avoid corrosion, and of course don't forget to have the water proof gaskets checked and replaced with regular servicing in order to preserve the water proof nature of the watch. The deepest I have had this watch is 50 feet, and so far no problems. While perhaps not quite as elegant as the Omega, I love this watch and will probably make it my primary diver. Given it is a fraction of the cost, I am not afraid to bang it up either!
Overall, a highly functional watch that looks great, keeps excellent time. I highly recommend it.
Hope this review is helpful!
on July 26, 2012
I have owned this watch for almost a year. It has done two offshore yacht passages and at least ten dives. The watch is on my wrist when I am not in bed.

It has worn incredibly well. The glass is completely unscratched although the rotating bezel has picked up a few minor scratches.

The kinetic charging works well and it always seems to be at full charge. I would never own a battery powered watch with my lifestyle.

When underwater and at night on the boat the luminous markings have worked well. Although I have occasionally recharged them by shining a torch into the face at short range on night watch to make things a bit easier to read.

At the end of the day if you want I handsome, incredibly rugged dive watch this is for you. It is not flashy at all, but the yellow accents off set the black on black look nicely.
on March 5, 2013
I have different types of watches...autos, quartz, and now kinetics. I prefer the sporty-diver look. This watch got it! I also have the Sportura Diver. The Sportura appears to a little bigger because of its wide bezel. But its just an optical illusion because of its style. The Sportura and this black diver are actually the same size! Quslity and durability is also same thing. Whats different is that Sportura has a screw down crown on the battery power button. This diver does not. The Sportura Diver is more dressy than this diver. BUT, i love the contrast of the luminous bullets on d black bezel. This diver is definitelly better looking as a sport watch than the Sportura.
The watch itself is beautiful. The skeleton hands contrast very nicely against the black background. And of course, you cannot beat the Seiko's lumibright...lasts the entire night. I checked it!! If you're a Luminox watch kind of guy, you will like this luminosity. Trust me. I compared them.
If you like autos, this watch will definitelly intrests you. Consists of rotor that powers the capacitor. You get best of both worlds - auto movement with quartz accuracy. And its good for about 10 yrs before you need to replace the capacitor, which is about $60 to replace OR you can even do it yourself. Its that simple!
The weight of the watch is appropriate. Not too light but not too heavy either. Just right. You know you are wearing something solid snd well built. The band is also great. Very comfortable. Not just the fit but also the rubber material. I opted for rubber band because I can achieve tighter and more comfortable fit. The metal band has tendency to rattle, but thats just personal preference.
Im happy with the watch. Its a good value for a great price! Why spend thousands ???....unless you want :)
on March 1, 2011
I am very happy with this watch.

Very sturdy, looks great, quality build and finish. It is bigger than other dive watches I've seen. Keeps great time. The only negative Thing I could possibly try and come up with is that it takes a long time to fully wind.

I would recommend this watch.
on May 24, 2015
This is a great and solid watch for the country side and outdoors use. I have changed the band to wear it more often and remove the "Diver " flavour that under my opinion makes little justice to this magnificent piece. I use now a forest dark green Nato one that combines perfectly with the watch. The design is again as Seiko is used to do, just perfect and a milimetric accuracy. This is a very nice piece and much more than a diver watch.
Always there, these guys in Seiko. Great.
on April 19, 2011
The minute I saw this watch I liked it, but was reluctant to buy online. The watch arrived today, beautifully packaged. I own several high end watches and was looking for an everyday watch. This watch exceeded my expectations. The quality and workmanship is top notch and it is very comfortable. Coud not be more pleased.
on January 17, 2014
I love the look of this watch and it's high quality. My wife had originally bought a black Citizen titanium watch for me that cost about $100 more. I returned that watch to the store and bought this watch through Amazon. The Citizen was an attractive watch but had an all black metal band. The finish on the band did not look durable which was an area of concern. I like to wear my watches 24x7 so part of the appeal of the Seiko was the rubber watch band vs the metal one. The finish on the body of this Seiko appears to be more durable than the Citizen as well.

This wasn't an expensive watch at around $200, regardless I've received several "cool watch!" comments from friends that wear much more expensive brands such as Tag. This watch has just amount of ruggedness and good looks.

A key item to note is that this watch has an actual Seiko (Made in Japan) movement so the time seems to be highly accurate as well. When I first received the watch, I noticed the sound of the kinetic battery charging parts inside the watch as I moved my arms. It arrived with no power but after a full evening of Xbox Kinect sports like boxing the watch was charged with 6 months of battery life.

I'm very happy with this watch!
on November 13, 2012
This watch has been great so far (had it for a week). The watch still hasn't reached full charge, but other Seiko Kinetic owners have said it can take a while but will happen. I'm not a fan of how small the luminescent part of the second hand is. Other than that, it's a great watch with a heavy weight feel.