5.0 out of 5 stars Why don't you already own this watch?
Intro:

In my opinion if you like dive watches, this model is a must have. Dive watches aren't just for diving, they make the best beater watches because they are built extra tough and the Seiko line of dive watches are built extra-extra tough.

Watch Model:

Published on January 10, 2012 by Shop Bot

1.0 out of 5 stars Ships from Asia - DOA - Returns are a PIA!!
I ordered the watch from Amazon, there was nothing on the listing about the watch being shipped from Asia. And now, due to a defect in the item and no fault of my own, I must pay the out of pocket expense to ship the defective watch back to Asia.

Published on May 16, 2012 by cc1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Why don't you already own this watch?, January 10, 2012
Shop Bot (Florida, United States) - See all my reviews
Intro:

Watch Model:

The watch being reviewed is the SKX007K2 which is the black dialed black bezel version. There is another model called the SKX009K2 that has a blue dial and pepsi colored bezel.

Watch Movement:

This model has an automatic movement in it as opposed to a battery operated quartz movement. The automatic movement, known in Rolex circles as "perpetual" has a pendulum and clutch that moves when you move your arm. This is unnoticed by the wearer. The wearer's motion keeps the main spring constantly wound. This particular model uses the Seiko 7S26(A or B) caliber movement. I suspect that if you purchase this watch now you'll get the 7S26B version. The B version has a couple of improvements over the A version and you can read about them if you do a search on it. The 7S26 caliber movement can be compared to the Miyota (Citizen) 8215 movement found in the Invicta line of watches like the Invicta 8926 Submariner homage. Both movements have 21 jewels, and both are non-hacking. But, the Myota can be manual wound and the Seiko cannot. The Seiko will wind in both pendulum directions and the Myota only winds in one pendulum direction. Both movements have about the same accuracy and same power reserves. For those of you that are environmentally conscious, this is the "greenest" type of watch movement.

Watch Bracelet:

The bracelet is a stainless steel jubilee style bracelet. The name "jubilee" comes from Rolex and is an iconic bracelet found on the Rolex Datejust and Day/Date models. The Seiko bracelet is actually a very good quality bracelet given the price point of this watch. The center links are folded, but the ends are solid. This makes a very solid yet light bracelet that is very comfortable and strong. Seiko also sells a very comfortable rubber strap for this watch that is not too expensive.

Watch Size:

The watch is right around 40mm without the crown. With the crown it's around 43mm. The crown is at the four o'clock position which makes is very comfortable. The watch is around 13mm thick. The width and height are important numbers to determine if a watch will feel balanced on the wrist. The Seiko numbers are very good for providing a well balanced feel on the wrist. The lug width is 22mm which is a common width for dive watches. This means that you can find a lot of aftermarket straps and bracelets that will fit this watch if you want to experiment.

Watch Case:

The case is a combination polished and brushed stainless steel. This combination is a time tested classic look. The shape of the case has smooth lines with no pointy or pokey areas on the watch. The case reminds me of the way the Japanese create a sense of ergonomics like no one else can. The uni-directional bezel is a double coin edge type that is both functional and great looking. It has a glow in the dark flat oyster at the twelve o'clock position. The crown is at the four o'clock position and screws down. There is a rubber gasket in the crown so that when it is screwed down it will make the watch "water proof." The case also has a crown protector which creates a barrier from damage. This is imperative on a beater tool watch.

Watch Face:

The face is black. The hour markers are large dots with differentiators at the six, nine, and twelve o'clock positions. These markers are coated with a luminescent material (Lumibrite) that glows in the dark. When looking at the watch in pitch black conditions, it is totally readable. The hands are iconic of this watch. The most striking is the minute hand. It is large and draws the eye to it. This is important when diving because you are most concerned with the number of minutes you've spent down. The seconds hand is identifiable because of the lollipop at one end so it is unmistakable in low light conditions. All the hands are glow in dark. It has a day/date display that can display either English or Spanish, and is highly readable. The crystal is made out of a Seiko proprietary material known as "Hardlex." Most watches have crystals that are made out of either mineral or sapphire. Mineral crystals have the benefit of being flexible so they can take a knock without breaking, but they scratch easy. Sapphire crystals are virtually impossible to scratch without a diamond, yet they are not flexible so they can shatter. Hardlex is somewhere in between and performs very well in this regard.

Summary:

Perhaps this watch can be considered as one of the all time greatest watches at any price?

5.0 out of 5 stars Best low-priced automatic available!, February 29, 2008
Gerard M. Palomo (Yeosu, Jeonnam, ROK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seiko Men's SKX007K2 Diver's Automatic Watch (Watch)
This watch has the cleanest, most readable face of any watch on the market today. Even for middle-aged eyes, the time is easy to see at a glance in almost any light. The metal band, often maligned by reviewers, is actually a very attractive copy of the Rolex-style "jubilee" band, with large side-links in brushed stainless steel and inner small links of mirror-polished stainless steel. The case is a flowing sculpture which alternates brushed- and polished-stainless surfaces. I own two: one is a dark-blue face with blue and red bezel, and the other is as pictured here, with a black face and bezel. The blue-face watch, I have had for four years, while the black-face watch is a recent purchase. I retained the steel bracelet with the first watch, but with my new black watch, I fitted a German-made Hirsch waterproof black leather strap. Both get compliments. The older blue watch is a galloper, gaining approximately seven seconds per day. After a couple of weeks of "break-in" wear, the new black watch has settled-in slow, losing about four seconds per day. YOU WILL NOT GET "QUARTZ ACCURACY" FROM THESE WATCHES. They WILL run, when fully-wound, with a 36-48 hour power reserve, and they will run year after year without any servicing. Once broken-in, these watches will run CONSISTENTLY fast or slow, without detectable variance. Learn your watch and adjust it accordingly at strict intervals, and you will be able to navigate by the stars for weeks at a time, even without an outside time reference. Pictures do not do justice to this watch - it is beautiful, functional, and spare of style so that it won't be out of fashion when you pass it to your heir.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good watch, well built, March 12, 2010
This review is from: Seiko Men's SKX007K2 Diver's Automatic Watch (Watch)
I've been using the watch for over a week now. No sign of gaining seconds so far, as other owners had reported. I do agree that the band, although very nice, seems a little inferior to the quality of the watch itself. Overall it looks very nice, and for the price paid (U$ 158.00) it was a great deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great automatic diving watch!, September 6, 2008
Fabricio R. Tariki (São Paulo, SP Brasil) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seiko Men's SKX007K2 Diver's Automatic Watch (Watch)
Let me tell it straight: you'll find no better deal on an automatic diving watch than this. It has the DNA of all great Seiko diving watch of past (6105-8000) and present (Marinemaster), but a lot cheaper.

Pros:
- Construction quality
- Ruggedness
- 7S26 automatic Movement
- Dial legibility (day&night)
- Price

I consider its size and weight to be a quality; but then again, I'm 1,90cm (6'3").

Cons:
- Plain crown
- No band dive extension

Seiko have a long standing tradition on diver's watches, and this watch does justice to it. If you're interested in learning more, look for "Seiko Divers Reference". And if you're considering buying it, go for it!

## ADDENDUM 06-13-2012 ##

Since writing this review, I bought a Seiko Marinemaster. It's a considerable pricier watch, and the quality and attention to detail show it. Even so, the SKX007 does hold its own. I think there's no higher praise than that!

In hindsight, I see it now as a tool watch, rugged & reliable. I ended changing the original bracelet for a NATO strap, as the bracelet wasn't very good and a NATO strap is very resistant. Also, it best matches the style of the watch.

My verdict is still a "Go for it"!

4.0 out of 5 stars Seiko Mechanical Diver's watch, June 3, 2007
This review is from: Seiko Men's SKX007K2 Diver's Automatic Watch (Watch)
Seiko Divers' watches have a well deserved reputation for reliability and durability. And they look great, either with a wetsuit or a tuxedo.

The only drawback to these watches is that they are 'non-hacking' meaning the second hand doesn't stop when the adjustment knob is pulled out. you have to hold it to get the works to stop to set it to the second.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Best Buy, September 16, 2007
This review is from: Seiko Men's SKX007K2 Diver's Automatic Watch (Watch)
This watch is fantastic. The only drawback is the weak band, it is too light and does not feel as substantial as the watch itself. Other than that do not waste your money on a more expensive diver, the watch can easily be worn as a dress watch. All around best buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The classic Seiko dive watch, November 8, 2013
S. Somerville "somerville99" (Neptune, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seiko Men's SKX007K2 Diver's Automatic Watch (Watch)
My SXK007 has been worn every day for the last ten years. No problems at all and still running fine. It has never been serviced. Seiko autos are known to run for decades without a service. The lack of manual winding and hacking is much ado about nothing. If you wear this watch every day it will be fully wound up and never stop. The movement does run fast however, specs are -15/+25 a day. This is an Asian model and will ship from Japan, Singapore, China etc. The SKX173 with a slightly different dial is the US market model. This watch is the best value in auto divers. Check out forums that cater to Asian watches and see why every one loves them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, great price!, August 5, 2006
Andrew M. Melnyk (Vienna, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seiko Men's SKX007K2 Diver's Automatic Watch (Watch)
I have owned several Seiko's, Omegas, Casios, Timex's and Tissots. This is definitely one of the best watches I've ever had. It's a tough, heavy, and attractive watch. The only drawback is that it runs a bit fast, which is typical of automatics, so it's really a non-issue. I highly recommend it. My only regret is that I didn't get one 20 years ago. It would have saved me all the money I spent on my other watches.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ships from Asia - DOA - Returns are a PIA!!, May 16, 2012
This review is from: Seiko Men's SKX007K2 Diver's Automatic Watch (Watch)

The watch was defective on arrival. Despite being worn all day on the wrist, it would still die at random times. Only a firm shake would get it going again. I have several automatics as well as hand-wind watches and this is the first time I've had a problem with a mechanical watch. I am sure this is an anomaly given Seiko's reputation for bullet-proof reliability and high QC. I had ordered from Amazon because I like their hassle-free return process. In this case, however, since the watch is NOT sold directly by Amazon but by an affiliated third party in SINGAPORE, the return process is not so easy. The seller advised me I'd have to ship it back on my own dime, no pre-paid shipping return label, and they would only reimburse me up to $10 USD despite the fact that it will cost me upwards of 20 bucks when you include tracking and insurance. What a dissapointment. I should have ordered the item from another domestic retailer or a US based seller on that big auction site. Sure, I would have paid a small premium but the level of customer service would have been much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lured by price, won over by value, February 22, 2014
This review is from: Seiko Men's SKX007K2 Diver's Automatic Watch (Watch)
I first learned of this watch via a brief review in a blog titled "This $180 Dive Watch Puts Rolex Submariners On Notice". That certainly got my attention since I enjoy interesting watches across a range of price points. The link in the review led to the item here on Amazon and I was impressed by the consistency of the positive reviews and the scarcity of negative ones. By the way, thanks to the reviewers who shared such detailed comments on this watch's physical metrics as well as their objective and subjective comments.

Based on the strength of the reviews (mostly here but also on other sites around the web), I ordered it that day. Despite selecting free shipping I had it a mere 3 days later through seller E Watch Stock. I had read of other buyers receiving non-Seiko packaging and documentation but mine appeared to be fully authentic and original. I was not cheated out of the fun of unboxing this excellent timepiece.

This watch has met my expectations, meaning that a) it is as good-looking and functional as I had hoped, and b) I agree with those who feel the band's heft--or lack thereof-- doesn't match that of the watch. The Jubilee has a nice look but I can't get past the light weight and the play (nice way of saying rattle). So I ordered a Super Oyster from Strapcode. My wrist measures a shade under 8" and the stock Jubilee bracelet required only minor adjustments to the clasp to achieve a comfortable fit until the replacement arrives. I took a photo of it in my office and added it to the image gallery.

This is a timeless watch design and the automatic movement gives it interest and quirkiness including that enjoyable (to me) smooth sweep action of the second hand. One big intangible of this watch is the pride of ownership. I have already recommended it to some buddies and several lady friends as a great surprise purchase for the men in their lives. It is a handsome watch that will be right at home with the Tag and Omega watches in my collection. The remarkable value proposition of this watch makes it easy to recommend.

Update 2/27/14:
Just replaced the original Jubilee-style bracelet with a Super Oyster II band from Strapcode. It was a head-turner before, and now I consider this one of the best-looking and most distinctive watches in my collection...some of the best watch money I've ever spent!

Seiko Men's SKX007K2 Diver's Automatic Watch
$400.00 $154.00
In stock. Usually ships within 4 to 5 days.