Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on October 30, 2008
I have owned many watches in my life of which several were very expensive. This Seilo Monster is the best value watch I have owned. Very accurate time (mechnical movement), sturdy construction, very easy dial to read. A wonderful buy

J.C.Seiko Men's "Orange Monster" Automatic Dive Watch #SKX781K1
on January 14, 2008
I purchased this watch about 18 months ago. I had never owned a watch with an orange dial before getting my Seiko. It is a really handsome watch and is heavy and solid. It keeps excellent time and is very reliable. If you're looking for a Seiko automatic dive watch, I believe you will really like it. I enjoy wearing mine.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 26, 2008
This is a most impressive watch. Looking at photos online, the Black Monster seems more visually impressive, but on your wrist, the Orange Monster dominates! Buy this watch with the stainless steel bracelet band, because this band is everything that other reviewers have said: heavy duty quality with solid links. I wear my Monsters (I have both orange and black) with rubber diving straps because I find buckle-type bands much more comfortable. My Orange Monster wears a high-quality aftermarket band. I ordered the Black Monster with the OEM rubber strap, and it is satisfactory but not not ideal, being narrow and of thinner construction than a watch this size deserves. Even if you do switch bands, having the gorgeous steel bracelet allows you to switch for a dressier look when you must wear it with a tuxedo and black tie. Changing bands is easy on this watch because the "lugs" to which the bands attach, are drilled-through, so it is possible to change the wristband with a paperclip if you have no other tools on hand. I have not had either of my Monsters long enough to vouch for their accuracy. This is an automatic movement - all mechanical - and requires physical movement to store energy. This also means that new ones require a break-in period before they run consistently. Another Seiko automatic watch of recent maufacture that I own, which uses the same movement as these "Monsters" took about six weeks of daily 10-16 hour wear to break in fully. That watch, also a diver, runs slow: it loses an average of three seconds per day. From what I have read, this is awfully good for a mechanical movement of any price or reputation. If you pay thousands (or TENS of thousands!) more for a mechanical watch, what you get is envy and admiration from the shallow, movements that stop the second-hand when you pull out the crown (and stress the movement with every 'stop'), the capability to manually wind the watch, and finely-crafted movements which will run to their accuracy specifications with less hourly variation regardless of the position in which the watch is held. If you need this, buy an Omega (the only mechanical watch to survive NASA testing for use in spaceflight). If you just need to know the time within a minute or so, and don't mind re-setting every month, buy one of these Seiko Monsters and have a watch that will run without repair or maintenance for years.
on October 19, 2008
I read the reviews before I bought this watch. I'm glad that dispite the few negative comments, I went for the great looks, and the history of Seiko quality. Too say the least, I'm very satisfied with my new love, the Orange Monster! I say, "Buy it, you will love it!"
on April 9, 2007
Equal to my Swiss watches. Fit and finish is very nice. Only two seconds off per day. The luminessence is incredable. Reason not giving five stars

because of not having saphire crystal.
VINE VOICEon December 29, 2008
This is an awesome watch. Great dive watch, great automatic watch (winds from the movement of your wrist), great BIG watch.

With a stainless steel bracelet or a rubber strap, this is water resistant to 200m, with strongly luminescent markings on an orange dial, and a unidirectional bezel. The orange was selected for visibility at depth, and the bezel that rotates in one direction is a hold over from the days before digital dive computers. The large dial also aids visibility.

It uses an excellent and proven movement from Seiko, the 7S26, the basic movement of the Seiko 5 series of watches. "5" for the five traits; 1. Automatic, 2. Water resistant, 3. Shock resistant, 4. Date, 5. Day. For someone who wants an automatic without paying Swiss prices (or wants to avoid Invicta and their issues), this is an excellent choice, as it would be for someone buying their first automatic watch. No kidding, this movement keeps time as well as the workhorse of Swiss movements, the ETA 2824-2.

This watch is a big watch. We're talking one serious hunk of steel. About 43mm diameter and 11mm thick, this is pretty darn big, and carved out of a block of steel, so heavy also. This might put some folks off, and some folks might go for it for compensations' sake, but I like a watch like this for outdoors, working out, and other tasks that would put a lesser timepiece in mortal peril.

I'm sold, this thing rocks.

E.M. Van Court
review image
on July 14, 2010
Usually these run fast, sometimes VERY fast, but mine is great. It will lose about 5-10 seconds during the day & gain about 5-10 seconds at night. So... I'm always within 5-7 seconds at any given time. NOT the norm for a SEIKO.
on January 9, 2007
This is a pretty remarkable value for a true automatic. Only complaint I have is that you can't self wind, but really that's not much of an inconvinience. The bracelet is solid, and overall the watch has good weight.
on May 12, 2012
I was looking for a solid looking and feeling watch to wear all day when I found the "Orange Monster".
I had only a couple requirements in my watch.
The watch must be automatic or at the very least mechanical wind and it must be water resistant. The reason for the automatic requirement is because I once sent a battery powered (quartz) watch out for a new battery. The watch was a dive watch and after it came back I went out on a dive in Lake Erie N.Y. and the watch filled with water. The watch was not resealed properly.
Of course, since I scuba dive, the new watch must be water resistant.
The "orange monster" is an automatic meaning it will wind by means of a rotor with the movement of your wrist/arm. This watch can't be hand-wound. I will not have to send this watch out for a new battery.
The "orange monster" is also water resistant to 200 meters. That is approx 660 feet! While I don't plan on a 200m dive; this watch is plenty water resistant to take in the shower, pool or a normal recreational dive.

When this watch arrived early November 2011 I was delighted with its construction and appearance. It is solid and heavy. The orange really stands out without looking too flashy. The "orange monster" also has a deployment clasp to extend the bracelet in order to fit over a wet-suit.
The movement is more than accurate enough to meet my needs. I have to set the watch three or four minutes fast every month and by the end of the month it is right on time.
The watch has been an everyday watch for me since it arrived. There are some scuffs around the bezel but the hardlex crystal is scratch free so far.
I recommend you open a new window and search: "seiko orange monster review" just for fun. You will find many videos and pages devoted to this watch.
I hope this review helps.
Thanks for reading
review image
on February 28, 2013
Have been eyeing up this watch for a while. I have an automatic Seiko in my collection that I purchased new in 1977 (36 years ago) that still runs great. Only had it serviced once to clean and refurbish seals, etc. I wore that one faithfully for years. Also have a Seiko Kinetic that is over 5 years old and runs great. These are great watches. The Orange Monster is a beautiful dive watch and I'm looking forward to years if service from it. Build quality looks very good. Amazon's price is unbeatable. Have not noted anything negative about this watch... It rocks!

See 1 answered question