5.0 out of 5 stars Seiko Orange Monster Automatic Dive Watch
Bought the watch from Amazon Sunday evening and it arrived on Thursday evening with the 5-day delivery service. I've had it for a few days and I am extremely happy with it. I also own a Rolex Submariner, Breitling Chronomat, Omega Seamaster Chrono, Citizen Nighthawk, and some assorted Casios and Timexes. This Seiko automatic watch ranks just a hair below the $2000+...
Published on April 15, 2006 by Shaka Zulu

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed. Out of warranty after 31 days? Left hanging in limbo.
I've been a Seiko owner for decades, never an issue. Then I started buying the larger diving watches. I owned the Seiko Men's "Black Monster" Automatic Dive Watch #SKX779K1 purchased on feb 6th 2009. By July 14th the day/date had stopped working on the watch. Sent in for repair, was fixed through warranty by World of watches' cost $10 in shipping...but was repaired. The...
Published on August 20, 2009 by Mike Jediny

‹ Previous | 1 2 331 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars OK value for money spent., April 6, 2009
This review is from: Seiko Men's SKX781 "Orange Monster" Automatic Dive Watch (Watch)
I would probably opt for the black version but since I have other black/white watches the orange was a nice change for my collection.

The band:
As others have said, it is a nice band for the money. The fit and finish isn't that great but it is nice enough especially for the price range. My security clasp was off so I am getting a new band. I did modify the band so the clasp was non-issue.

The case:
Nice big beefy feel to it. It has an impressive stout look and feel to it. The bezel is a joy to turn, easy and nice clicks. Screw down crown. The watch sets easy enough when reading the instructions for language selection.

The movement:
I wont go in to great detail about the movement but casual observation: My high end watches have more beats per minute by far. The second hand sort of lumbers around the dial. It's slow enough to where it could be mistaken as a quartz watch. It's hard to gauge the accuracy since this watch does not have a hack function (Edit, with slight pressure while turning the time backwards, the second hand will stop or a little more pressure and it actually shows the second hand running backwards (freaky). Regardless, I can now test and see how accurate it is).

Dial/hands: Good stuff, the lumen is bright as a torch after being charged. I believe the longevity is adequate as well. None of it looks to be cheaply made. A huge plus is that this baby is easily readable. At a quick glance you know what time it is. In low lighting it is also impressive.

We will see what sort of beating this watch can take. I bought it to put in a rotation with my other watches to decrease the odds of beating up one of my more expensive watches. It looks great and is running great. I will update my review if anything changes.

Update: 4/19/2009:
Setting this watch is not a pleasure, you have to pull easy on the crown or you end up changing the wrong thing. Not a big deal.

I went to check out my monster in the watch winder today and it had stopped somewhere along the way and lost three hours. It was running when I was looking. I set the time again and put it back in the winder. GRANTED, my winder was set up to run 12 hours a day. I figured I wouldn't run it a full 24 so that it could "rest" and it wouldn't put as much wear and tear on the motors. Oh well, back to 24/day with the winder and I will see if the monster keeps running. Another note, I have 4 watches in the winder (the other three all have ETA movements) and none of them had lost any time. hmmm... Still, for under $200 *shrug*.

04/29/2009: The newness of the watch is wearing off and I still like its look quite a bit. I am still not impressed with the movement. I bought a Hamilton King Khaki auto (used) and it is much nicer and cost me $60 more. It was worth the $60 more. The Seiko hasn't stopped since my winder was set for a 24 hour cycle, which is a good thing. I would recommend buying a used Swiss made auto. Just my preference based on my experience, don't beat me up. Here is why.... If you look just at the reviews here on Amazon, some folks got a watch that worked well but kept poor time. Others got a watch that kept great time but had flakey problems. A google search shows the same thing. The inconsistency of the product makes it hard to recommend. You may get lucky and get a good one (I feel I got sort of lucky but not unlucky enough to throw it in the garbage).

5.0 out of 5 stars Seiko "Orange Monster" Automatic Dive Watch !!!!!!, November 8, 2006
Don't leave home with out one !

Hold's up to a Lot of abuse also , Trust me - I've put it through a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Value in Rugged Watch, September 11, 2006
Santa Fe Ranger (Santa Fe, NM United States) - See all my reviews
I've had both the Orange Monster and the Black Monster for almost two years (when they first came out). I have some very nice watches (and expensive), but the "monsters" are my favorite. I use the Orange Monster as my everyday watch. It has seen duties swimming, snokeling, ATV's in Cabo, working in Bermuda, Mexico, Bahamas.. on boats and beaches. It may gain or lose a few seconds, but overall is both nice-looking and practically bombproof. The orange version is a little more bold, but don't be put off by the color. People love the looks.. and so do I. The black version is more traditional. You'll be happy with either one. Best quality and value in a mechanical dive watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this watch, April 9, 2007
dasn0wman "dasn0wman" (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I'm a regular collector of diving watches and this is one of my favorite ones. There is something about diving watches that is really attractive though it could be subconscious and because of the fact that you can get it wet and it would still work. This watch feels rock solid like it just came out from a huge chunk of metal. For such a quality feel, the price is super amazing. I would have to go for my Submariner for a similar feel and on some days, I prefer the feel of this than of my Submariner! The luminated markers are the brightest I ever seen on any watch, diving or non-diving. Clasp is super-awesome, better than the Submariner. Bracelet is not as nice looking but ok. The moveable bezel has the best click of any of the diving watches I own and this is the least expensive dive watch of all but unfortunately I paid a little too much. The only downside and may not be for you if you don't adjust your bands, but if you do, it's a chore. I spend hours trying to do this and was only successful after improvising as the linking system is very unusual.

2.0 out of 5 stars Watch stops sporadically after a few weeks of use., July 9, 2007
K. Ng (Bohemia, NY) - See all my reviews
The Seiko Orange Monster at first seemed to be a well made watch. The case and band are solid stainless steel, the bezel rotates smoothly, and the fit and finish are top notch. The watched was pretty accurate the first 3 weeks of usage. I wore the watch from 8:00am to 11:30pm everyday. The watch was never used under water, and has not been used during sporting activity. It was worn just to my office work and on the weekends. However, the 7s26 movement does not seem to be as robust as described in some reviews I've read. After 3 weeks, the watch would stop in the middle of the day. I would "jump start" it by rocking the watch. Then, after a month, the watch seemed to stop for good. It would run occasionally, but only for a half hour. The power reserve seemed to be only 4-6 hours when it did work. It would stop in the middle of the night, even after I wore it all day. I'm skeptical in purchasing another one. Right now, I'm sending it back for repair through Amazon warranty service. We'll see what happens next...it's ashame because the Seiko is very nice on the outside. They need to use a better movement.

Update: 08/21/07 - I sent this back for warranty work and I received it 3 weeks later. The movement was overhauled. I've been wearing it for 3 weeks and it runs well. I have to see how it runs long term. So far, I am pleased with the warranty work provided.

Update: 10/3/07 - I finally sold this watch. While the band and case are nice, the movement is not very good. It keeps great time, but only if you wear the watch everyday to wind the mainspring sufficiently. Otherwise, I've had this watch stop on me in the middle of the day. Would I depend on this watch for scuba diving? NO WAY! In the end, you have to pay more for a good mechanical watch with something like an ETA2824, or buy quartz.

4.0 out of 5 stars Orange Monster, October 1, 2006
Mark Sims (Benton, Arkansas) - See all my reviews
I love my Orange Monster! I got it because my friend has a Black Monster and he really liked the Orange one as well as I did, so I purchased it. I work at night and the glow in the dark markings for the digits are not bright enough for me to see well. This is the only reason I am giving the 4 star rating. Other than that the watch is large, heavy duty, nice time piece. I love the stainless steel watch band. I had to have the band shortened, but was able to do so at a local Jewelry Store and only cost me $3.oo . The orange face makes the watch easy to read and is a great conversation piece. I did not purchase the watch because of its water resistance to 200 meters, although this is a great feature. I just wanted a good name brand, with time, day, and date features. I did not want all that other chrono, stop watch, alarm, etc... features on a watch.

My ORANGE MONSTER ROCKS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real mens choice, March 9, 2013
Simple,tough and beautiful watch. Only one Contra - made in Malaysia. But if you live close to the ocean- there is no alternatives. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars It's orange and it glows, April 10, 2011
I have worn this watch off and on for over 6 years and have put it through all manner of abuse. For the price $150-200, it's one of the cheapest reliable watches you can use in and around salt water. You can wear it on boats in the sea spray or take it into the ocean and not worry about breaking it like much more expensive Swiss watches. It's also very durable, the crystal is scratch resistant, and the bracelet is comfortable. The dials glow in the dark VERY brightly, but only for about half of an hour, so compared to Tritium watches its nighttime usefulness is limited.

Is it accurate?

In a word: probably.

Wearing it 10-12 hours a day it keeps decent time, gaining 1-2 minutes a week, which is standard fare for automatics like this one. I got a second one as a gift with a rubber diver's band which I don't wear because on a bad week it's more than 3 minutes.

The build quality is also variable. Some watches have very flimsy bezel movements that loosen with time, others are rough but never loosen, only a few have the "bearing smooth" feel. Seiko is good with warranty support, and sending one off usually gets you another which is at least better if not different from the one you sent off.

In terms of power reserve, I would not take this watch off for more than 24 hours and expect it to keep running. Wearing it for more than 12 hours a day does make it run faster, but in no predictable way.

I've dropped it 20 feet, spilled gasoline all over it, and have taken it fishing and snorkeling in the Gulf and it still runs after 6 years with no real problems. But it was a warranty replacement for a watch that had stopped and had serious quality issues with the bezel and other build quality problems, so not all are likely expected to be equal.

As cheap automatics go, this is by far one of the more durable and reliable examples you can get, but variable build quality may mean you will have to try one or two out before you find one that works.

5.0 out of 5 stars good looking, well thought out, very good value, March 12, 2010
I'm always a little hesitant to order something online without having seen it in person, but it's even nicer than I was expecting. My unit is a Seiko Orange Monster with stainless steel Seiko band. It is a big, shiny, noticeable combination. The black face should make a nice looking watch too, but I'm glad I got the orange one, I think it will be fun.

I have fairly thin wrists - I can wrap my hand around the other wrist and touch thumb to pinkie finger. IMO, the watch is not overpowering size-wise. It looks right and fits well I think because of the design of the lugs and the well made band. The band is easy to adjust if you're comfortable with such things, otherwise be sure to have a watch shop or jeweler take the time to properly fit it to your wrist for best appearance and comfort. Taking links out of one side v. the other will affect the way it lays on wrist and there is an additional micro adjustment provision that should be taken into consideration. If you're on the fence regarding the metal band or the rubber, definitely go for the metal - it's a bargain and will cost you far more separately if you change your mind later.

The fit and finish of the watch are excellent. I've been wearing a $1200 Accutron and the Seiko compares favorably.

Looking on the web, the Monster was designed as a basic, entry level real diver watch. I have owned several other earlier Seikos and have never had a problem with them including one that used the same movement as the Monster. It does not have a hacking feature - one explanation is that it would add cost and needless complexity (read: more moving parts to fail at the wrong time) to a diver. Being able to synchronize it to the exact second is just not a priority in a diver. In a diver, reliability is more critical. The second hand is just intended to show that the watch is still running while you are diving - a safety feature. If that degree of accuracy is important to you, you might be happier with a quartz watch - but really, do you want to wear a quartz watch with a second hand that goes "tick, tick, tick?"? Yuck!

The two most important features for me were the rotating timing bezel and the luminescence of the hands and face. I use a diver bezel for everything from timing calls, to jogging, to keeping track of when the clothes washer should be finished. The Seiko bezel feels great, very smooth and precise. It feel like it will be easy to operate even with cold and wet, muddy fingers if needed. I've had older, more traditional bezels that are too smooth to grip properly in such conditions. The luminescence is the best of any watch I've ever had. I can easily read it at 2am in a pitch black room many hours after it's last exposure to light. The dial is uncluttered and very easy to read quickly.

The fact that it's a real diver means it should be up for anything I might throw at it: skiing, washing the car, washing hands, maybe even a little snorkeling without worrying about it too much. The bezel is also slightly raised and should help protect the crystal. The numbers on the bezel are deeply engraved, instead of just being a painted ring, hopefully preserving it's nice appearance longer than the old style.

It's up to you whether this is the right type of watch for you - size and style and all that. A trip to the mall to try on a few could help. But if you decide a diver is the right choice, then this one should definitely be on your short list of finalists, black or orange.

UPDATE 9/4/2011

Bottom line: Awesome watch, awesome value.

I've had the Monster about a year and a half now and couldn't be happier with it. I wear it daily it still looks and runs great. Still love the way it looks, the way it works.

The watch is designed to make the band easy to remove and I have gotten in the habit of removing the band every week or two and giving it a good cleaning - it's amazing how much gunk builds up so quickly and how much better it looks with just a few minutes of care. I'm very happy with the stainless steel band - it's the best made band I've ever owned to be honest. Other than regular cleanings, I just buff out any scratches with extremely fine sandpapers (1000 and 2000 grit) occasionally and the watch looks as good as the day I bought. The only other maintenance I've done to it is remove the bezel and clean and lube the spring and o-ring underneath (found instructions on a Monster enthusiasts website).

The luminescence appears to me to be just as bright as when I bought it, the crystal (the bezel helps protect it) has taken a fair amount of abuse without a scratch, dial and hands still perfect. Got one good scratch on the bezel, but since it's a relatively inexpensive watch I felt emboldened to try buffing it out with the sandpapers and it looks like new (just take your time and go do a little at a time).

Strangers regularly compliment the watch and ask what it is, where I got it. Kinda strange at first, I've never had that happen with another watch, but I guess an orange watch is going to get noticed.

I bought mine off eBay, so a bit lower price and a bit more risk maybe than buying it here.

I would strongly recommend this watch to anyone looking for a well bought, good looking, good-value watch whether they ever go near the water or not. If I lost or broke this one, I'd order another right away, it's that good.

Regarding setting day/date on an analog watch: This may be obvious to everyone else, but took me a while to figure this out so I thought I'd share in case anyone struggles with it. The day date changes once for every two times the hour hand circles the face. The problem when setting it is there's no way to tell if you are setting AM or PM so you can't tell when the date change will occur (at midnight or noon) till it happens. The simplest solution I found was to use the quickset feature to set day/date for the day before, then rotate the hands clockwise till daydate changes - then you know you are in AM and can continue around again if you need to be in PM.

Update 10/11/13

I've had my Orange Monster about 3 1/2 years now. Still giving it five stars, would give it more if I could. It consistently runs a little slow, maybe 5 minutes a month. For me, for an automatic, that is plenty accurate. Still looks great and lume is still working very well. Zero moisture issues. I managed to nick the crystal in a freak landscaping accident so I've ordered a gasket set and new sapphire crystal for it. If it doesn't survive my repair attempt, I'll be ordering the newer version of the Orange Monster that looks nearly identical.

3.0 out of 5 stars Consider before you buy, January 11, 2009
I bought this watch first semester senior year of college (now just over one year ago). I read nearly all the reviews posted here, tried one on before buying, and thought carefully as this would be my first >$150 watch.

I like the styling, case/exterior quality, and fit. It rides like a smaller/lighter watch due to the "sticky" textured pattern on the back. The case, bezel, and crystal wear like iron and still look good despite being an everyday watch.

For the first three months of use, the watch would lose about 2 minutes a week. This was unacceptable but after that point settled down to +/- 1 minute a month.

This is where the good ends. Roughly 4 months into use, the watch would stop as soon as I stopped moving. It was not for lack of an active lifestyle, as I wore the watch for an hour during PT every morning, running, and walking throughout the day. I would get back from a 40 minute run, take the watch off to shower, and have it stop within 10 minutes.

As near as I can figure, it was because I started playing racquetball while wearing the watch and must have subjected the movement to too much shock.

It was sent in for warranty work. The turnaround was fast and the watch movement seemed to be fixed. Two weeks after the watch came back, I was out in the sun and noticed condensation on the inside of the crystal. I was always worried about this happening and check the crown tightness daily. Water nevertheless got in.

Watch went back again for work. Turnaround was again under two weeks.

Fastforward to yesterday- the watch has water in it again. One more time, I will stress that I check the crown for tightness once a day and tighten it as far as can be done without pliers.

This is supposedly a 200M dive watch, and I am becoming frustrated with it. This will be the third time back to warranty in a year. I bought it for the movement/watch's reputation for durability and longevity. So far I have seen neither. I hope I got lemon. If this cycle continues, it will be sold before the warranty expires. I very much want to like this watch.

‹ Previous | 1 2 331 | Next ›