5.0 out of 5 stars Best beater watch ever!!!
Published on July 18, 2008 by PFran

3.0 out of 5 stars Seiko Orange Monster
Sharp looking but I am disappointed in two things about this watch. 1) luminousity is short-lived but I've seen worse. 2) This is irritating.. I have to reset watch every morning. In 24 hours, it falls behind 2 to 4 minutes. But I've made it a habit each morning to reset based on computer, or cell, or atomic clock hanging in kitchen before heading to work.
Published on October 16, 2011 by Mike

5.0 out of 5 stars Best beater watch ever!!!, July 18, 2008
This review is from: Seiko SKX781K3 Men's Orange Monster Automatic Dive Watch with rubber strap (Watch)
I purchased Seiko Orange Monster so that I wouldn't mess up my Rolex during weekend excursions. Now I find myself wearing it during the week. Its looks and functionality demand more and more wrist time and I am happy to oblige. The Orange Monster (OM) steers away from the "classic" diver's watch design that we have become so accustomed to. I think it has a contemporary classic appeal. This watch is an attention getter. I always receive compliments when in public.

Case/Crown

The case is constructed from 316L solid stainless steel and is very large (42 mm) and heavy. You will know when this timepiece is on your wrist. When viewed from the wrist, the watch has a deep profile. It is a little less thick than my Sea Dweller so I am going to guess that is somewhere in the 13 mm vicinity. The case back is decorated with Seiko's SCUBA emblem design which is quite attractive. The 20 mm lugs are a bit angular but I like the masculine look of them. Lug holes are drilled through making bracelet changes an easy task. It also should be noted that the case is constructed in such a fashion that is rises to protect the bezel and crown. This design does not affect the operation of the bezel and is a very well engineered touch. The screw-in crown is large and solid feeling. Lastly since this is such a large watch, the crown has been moved to the 4 o'clock position so that it sits as far out of the way as possible from the hand (when the hand is bent backwards).

Movement

It is fairly accurate for an automatic (+15 secs per 24 hrs) beating with a 23 jewel 7S26 movement designed and fabricated in-house by Seiko. Power reserve for me is around 40 hours. The second hand sweep is a little less smooth (21,500 bph) than my Rolex Sea Dweller (28,800 bph) but for the price paid it is totally acceptable. I wish it had a manual wind feature but all it needs is a couple shakes if left alone for over 40 hours. It lacks hack mechanism (where you pull the crown out and the second hand stops) but I am not on a Navy S.E.A.L. team and I have no need to synchronize my watch to the exact second to anything.

Dial/Hands/Date

The watch has a great looking dial that is uncluttered and very easy to read. The orange color used on the dial was first introduced by Doxa as their research proved that orange is the easiest color to read as light conditions deteriorate underwater. Hour markers are over sized which is a "signature" for this model. Lume is the best I have ever seen on a diver (with exception of my Luminox which uses radioactive Tritium gas filled tubes for markers). Minute and Hour hands are beefy and well lumed. Seiko also has designed the hands so that if the minute hand directly overlaps the hour hand, both are viewable. This is a thoughtful feature as anyone who has ever looked at their watch and thought "where did my hour hand go?" will surely appreciate the foresight with which they designed it. The OM includes a Day/Date window that is very legible. The date can bet set to either Spanish or English and the usual black text for weekdays is blue for Saturday and red for Sunday. Date changes do not occur instantly at midnight like on some of the higher end ETA movements. It takes roughly 4 hours (10 pm - 2am) for the date change to occur. It also should be noted the chapter ring (the edge of the dial) curves upwards along she side wall of the case. This gives the watch a deep three dimensional feel and is just one more extra step that Seiko took while designing this incredible watch.

Bezel

Bezel action is smooth and expensive feeling. The one-way ring has 120 indents, making it extra precise as it divides each minute by a factor of two. There are large indents along the outside of the bezel, making operation (even with gloves) a cinch. It was a very good design on Seiko's part for them to have the markings on the bezel engraved into the bezel rather than printed. This will add to the longevity of the watch. I like the fact the bezel is a tad higher than the crystal as it provides a bit of protection for the glass

Crystal

Seiko uses a proprietary compound developed in-house called Hardlex which is less scratch resistant than sapphire crystal but also less brittle. I have smacked the watch on its crystal a couple of times and there is not a single blemish on it...yet! Crystal is also slightly domed and it refracts reflections in a way that make it easy to read in sunlight (sort of a workaround to anti-reflective coatings).

Strap

The watch came with Seiko's rubber dive strap. It has stainless steel hardware and robust pins. I would be willing to wager that this is not a natural rubber compound as it does not attract dust. It seems a little stiff but I only wore it for a few days so it might take a little longer than that to break in. I put a NATO strap on mine and now it is perfect for wake boarding, mountain biking, and general weekend mayhem.

This is hands-down the best price to performance timepiece produced for under $500.00. I would definitely recommend this watch to anyone with an active lifestyle!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars a tip for fast monsters, June 5, 2008
First off, this is a great watch and an even greater value. No other true "diver's" watch (a watch must meet an ISO standard to be able to say "diver's" on the face) with an in-house automatic movement comes even close to the Monster in price.

Second, here's a tip that works for most fast running monsters -- assuming you wear the watch daily and are active enough to keep it well wound: When you take the watch off at bedtime leave it on the dresser on its side with the crown pointing up. This slows the movement down enough that it will at least reduce the daily gain, if not cancel it out altogether. You'll need to keep the watch running (preferably by wearing it) for at least a month before it settles in to a predictable daily gain (or loss).

My Black Monster has been running for about 6 months and gains about 6-8 seconds per day on my wrist and gives back 3-4 seconds overnight (crown up!) -- that's a net daily gain of 2-5 seconds. If your daily pursuits require accuracy better than that, you're wound too tight!

My Orange Monster is a little bold for daily wear, and so hasn't run enough to improve beyond a gain of 15-20 seconds per day. Since I have to set it every time I wear it and I don't usually wear it for more than a day, it's relative inaccuracy is a non-issue. Besides, a $200 watch is jewelry, and as a fine piece of jewelry this Seiko is a unbelievable value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Substantial dive watch at a bargain price, July 16, 2007
Jeffrey W. Thomas (Indianapolis, IN USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this watch for daily wear and for diving in locations that I would be nervous wearing my Omega Seamaster. I prefer a watch with some heft to it, so if you don't want a heavy weight on your arm, you would be better served with a titanium watch or a Luminox. Compared to my Omega, the "Orange Monster" has a similar heft and size. From a diving standpoint, the luminous hands are actually more readable than my Omega and the unidirectional bezel is easier to turn when wearing gloves. (Some might think the bezel is a little too easy to turn, but I appreciate the fact that the serrations allow you to turn it while wearing neoprene gloves.) My only minor complaint is that the dial is actually in two pieces: There is a small plastic outer trim ring inside the watch resting on the main dial which looks just a little cheap. Things I love are the heft, the style, the tactile feel of the bezel, the engraving on the back of the case (very classy!) and the quality of the rubber strap. A big plus is the fact that the bezel is slightly higher than the crystal, offering additional protection against accidental scratches. Considering the price, this is my new favorite watch and the one I wear the most. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars First Automatic, November 11, 2011
Jimbo C (Fullerton, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I needed a watch to replace my misplaced G Shock and was very interested in quality automatics. This one is pretty ubiquitous so I gave it a shot. First day thoughts:

Not as big as I expected, although I have larger hands/wrists. My G Shock was much thicker and about the same diameter, with chunkier lugs that made it seem larger. This one wears quite flat for its size and the crown doesn't bother my wrist at all. Slips under a sleeve easily. Weight with the rubber band does not seem heavy to me at all; it weighs as much as you'd think a well made watch should and that's all.

Fit and finish is very impressive. It's glossy or shiny in the right spots, and brushed or solid in others. The bezel clicks feel great after a couple of initial break in turns. The crown requires a slightly finicky push to screw back in but I am not worried about it at all. The black rubber band feels nicer than expected and hasn't tugged at a single hair yet.

Watch arrived ticking from the shipment. Setting it required reading the instructions which I did not expect given the single input; there are considerations with the day-date versus time that you will have to worry about once on initial setup and that's pretty much it. Took five minutes or less.

The orange face, black band combo is nice and contrasty without being overbearing. I think it looks much better in person than in photos, where I felt it only looked okay.

Overall satisfied. Will edit with an extended use/accuracy update.

[edit] Week one updates:
-The crystal has gotten a couple of teeny tiny scratches from bumping into things. These are completely invisible except when you angle a bright light to reflect directly into your eye, so I have no issue with them.
-The crown bothers me if my sleeves are tight enough to keep the watch pushed down against my hand. This only occurs with one specific jacket that has very tight sleeves. Normally I don't notice.
-I wear my watch fairly loose, and definitely notice the balance shift with the watch weight versus band weight when my hand is positioned in certain ways.
-I set the watch the day I got it (not paying attention to the seconds) and the time is still matched within the minute to my computer. Even if it was a full minute off that would be about 8 seconds a day which I can live with. I'll probably reset the time once every 2-4 weeks.
-I've been wearing it while sleeping and showering to no ill effects. I have flown it to 10,000 feet MSL in an unpressurized cockpit then back down to sea level within a few minutes and there has been no issue.
-After a week of wear the luminous markers have soaked up enough daylight to stay readable all night. If you want to see something amazing hold a Surefire or other super bright LED flashlight up against the face at night for 30 seconds or so.

I totally do not care about any of these complaints because of how perfect the watch looks and how amazing it is to have my first automatic movement. It looks much better than pictures and has gotten compliments. I love looking at the detail in the face, and I am completely amazed that it has not stopped (accurately) ticking since I got it despite having no winding, battery, or electronics.

4.0 out of 5 stars Orange Monster Seiko Diver's Watch, July 5, 2006
I shopped very carefully for this watch; it was replacing a watch that was 12 years old and my first Father's Day gift. I wanted a watch that would last longer than 12 years (I wear it every day) and that didn't need batteries. The watch case had to be at least stainless steel; my old watch was just pot metal and after so many years the acid in my sweat ate through it and corroded the inside of the watch.

I know people say it's heavy but my other watch was a diver's watch and I don't really notice a difference. I selected the model with the rubber wrist band as I don't care for metal ones. I can't explain why but after about 10 days my skin had an allergic reaction to the rubber wrist band. Nothing like that has ever happened to me before. I didn't do anything about it, kept wearing the watch, and now everything seems to be ok. I guess my skin got used to it?

The luminous qualities are great; they last all night long. My last watch was unreadable in the dark after about 2 hours. I have NEVER looked at this watch and not been able to read it.

It's not a quartz movement and I've discovered it tends to gain about one minute a week. No biggie.

I paid for faster shipping and got it rather quickly. I HATE being w/o a watch. I'm hopeful that because this will never have a dead battery I'll never be stuck w/o a watch again.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT WATCH, September 3, 2007
Well, just to comment on the first reviewers remarks, this watch does not require a battery. It is a mechanical automatic winding watch so I think he submitted the review on the wrong watch or his jeweler lied to him.
Otherwise, this is one of the best automatics that I own. Keeps good time and is comfortable to wear. Everyone must remember a mechanical watch will gain or lose a few minute a month and has to be reset.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool Watch, Good price point, November 25, 2007
i looked around for a sport watch that not everyone was already wearing - and have enjoyed this one very much. The automatic watch is easy to handle as I do not wear this watch every day - the day/date setting is very easy to change. Also, i'm not bothered in the least with the accuracy of the mechanical watch.

it's a nice watch and I very much recommend it to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars seiko orange monster, July 14, 2006
i own a tag heuer,luminox,swiss army among a few others i received my orange monster a week are so ago and i'm very pleased with the quality of the watch it's not as refined as my tag but consider the price difference and it's a great value. i was very pleased with how quickly watch pavilion got my watch to me and their price was fantastic i will definitely order from them again

5.0 out of 5 stars This 'Orange Monster' dive watch is attractive and has decent size, August 9, 2011
The Orange Monster is a true men's dive watch. It is attractive and has a decent size. The watch is bigger than the Citizen Men's Eco-Drive

SEE MY PHOTOS IN CUSTOMER IMAGES

PROS:
Unidirectional bezel with luminous zero position on the bezel. The bezel markings are embedded not printed on - this watch is built to last!

The bezel has 120 indents so you can set the bezel to time your dive to the half minute.

Really bright luminous hands - including a luminous sweep second hand.

Orange dial for greater visibility underwater in poor light.

Day and date display at the 3 o'clock position.

Day setting in English or Spanish. WEEDKDAYS in black, SAT in blue and SUN in red, DAY in black).

Scratch-resistant Hardlex crystal - curved to magnify the dial. Even the day and date is visible underwater!
The bezel is higher than the Hardlex crystal glass reducing the possibility of scratches.

The large screw down crown is at the four o' clock position. In this position, the crown never presses into my wrist when I move my hands upwards). The Orange Monster's large crown is much easier to manipulate than the Citizen Men's Eco-Drive - also a great dive watch.

This is an Automatic Movement watch - it never requires a battery. The watch winds itself with the natural motion of my wrist. Now that's eco-friendly!

High quality Seiko's rubber dive strap that contours to my hand comfortably after a couple of days.

CONS:
Automatic watches being mechanical are never as accurate as a quartz movement - they gain time when it's hot and run slow as it gets colder. When compared to other automatic winding watches, the Orange Monster is fairly accurate - approx ten seconds off per day. This works for me. However, if you need greater accuracy, then I recommend the Seiko Men's SNDA63 Diver Chronograph Watch

I would have liked to have a No Decompression limits (NDL) table printed on the watch band. I am harping though - I can always swap the band.

The Seiko Orange Monster is an attractive Automatic Dive watch at an affordable price - Definitely 5 STARS!

RECOMMENDATION:
If you wear your Seiko Orange Monster dive watch every day, no problem ... once on your wrist, it winds automatically. However, occasional users or watch collectors may wish to invest in a watch winder.
I bought the Diplomat Burl Wood Watch Winder since this model can be set to rotate both clockwise and anticlockwise automatically.

Hope my review was helpful ... Jeffrey A. (Jeff)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Monsters!, January 13, 2008
I've got the Orange and the Black Monster. Both great watches you can actually dive with. Very solid automatic movement, great luminous hands, chunky en vogue styling. No better dive watch deal around. No problem with either of mine running fast, by the way. Seiko is a true manufacture. Good luck finding a similar watch with an in-house automatic movement for a similar price elswhere!