5.0 out of 5 stars Nice...
I will have to follow this up with a more extensive video review, but for now here are the highlights.

1) It arrived on time with free holiday shipping from amazon.com. PLUS

2) It arrived without protective plastic covering the crystal, case back, crown and pushers, or bracelet. MINUS

3) It also arrived with a slight scratch on one of...
Published on January 7, 2009 by JP

2.0 out of 5 stars Increasingly difficult to tell time
I have owned this watch for a few years now. One of the screw lock start-stop buttons locked permanently within a few months after the purchase and no longer unscrews (I tried pliers). Consequently, the stop function is no longer available.
Published on November 15, 2012 by Trailman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice..., January 7, 2009
This review is from: Seiko Men's SNA413 Flight Computer Chronograph Watch (Watch)

1) It arrived on time with free holiday shipping from amazon.com. PLUS

3) It also arrived with a slight scratch on one of the link-segments on the band. Since it was the polished portion of the link segment, it was very noticeable. ** BIG MINUS ** , but I remedied this by choosing this link segment as the links I would remove when I was sizing the bracelet, so no harm, no foul.

4) The bracelet measures just over 21mm consistently all the way around (no tapering), is solid stainless steel, and has solid end links. Also, it was erroneously reported as being a 3-link band (two brushed links on the outside and one polished link in the center with a vertical crease). In sizing the bracelet and moving the links, I quickly learned that it is actually a 4-link bracelet since the polished center is actually made up of TWO links side by side, each with a brushed link on either end (brushed+polished+ polished+ brushed). I

5) Diameter of case/bezel is listed as 42mm (w/o the crown), but it seems to be closer to 40mm.

6) Dial - The dial is protected by a domed Hardlex mineral crystal that does a magnificent job magnifying the fine writing of the EB6 rule, Telemeter, and Tachometer, and all other info including he date on the face/dial.

The domed crystal also does an excellent job throwing back a lot of LIGHT and shimmer to onlookers, so it tends to get a lot of WOW responses.

7) The bezel is non-ratcheting and bidirectional. It has a highly polished coined edge. It has a very solid and smooth in its movement.

8) The weight and balance is just right. It is slightly lighter than the Seiko "Monster" divers, about the same weight as my Omega 40mm (heavier than a Chase Durer Pilot Commander Alarm chronograph).

9) The alarm (located at the 6 o'clock position) can be used as a GMT to track a secondary time zone. It has its own fully independent minute and hour hands, so this is quite nice.

10) The chronograph second hand (the BIG second hand) and chronograph hour hand (in the small sub-dial nearest to the 12 o'clock position) are in bright yellow. All other hands are in stainless steel with or without lumibrite (luminescent paint for glowing in the dark). The chronograph sub-dials at 12 and 9 o'clock are outlined in white paint, but the alarm sub-dial a 6 o'clock is nicely outlined with a stainless steel circle/ring.

11) The crown and pushers are all screw down and the threads are very well engineered. This allows not only for the true 200 meter depth water resistance rating, but also keeps dust and moisture out of the watch. Dust and moisture are the biggest enemies of any all watches, regardless of the price-point.

12) ALL the chronograph hands and sub-dials can be manually reset to "zero" or manually aligned with the pushers if the need ever arose.

Conclusion: This is a dressy watch. The picture really do not do it justice. I purchased both this watch, as well as the Chase Durer Pilot Commander Alarm chronograph. This one for dressier, more formal attire while the Chase Durer for more casual occasions. Both watches have Japanese quartz movements and respective of style, quality, and function, they are easily on par with or better than most if not all of the other watches in my collection, including several well-known swiss automatics costing $3200 to $4000 each.

The only thing I would change about the Seiko SNA411 is the crystal. This is my first time owning a watch with a Hardlex crystal, and besides my Casio beater watch, all the other watches in my collection have sapphire anti-reflective crystals, which I've never had scratch, shatter, or fracture on me...so we'll see how this Hardlex holds up, especially in it's domed and slightly protruding fashion.

BTW - for all those considering automatics, consider this...what I've found out in extensively researching before making my recent purchases:

1) Automatics MUST be cleaned/lubricated/"maintained" every 2-3 years, which runs anywhere from $150 to $399 for EACH automatic watch....depending on the brand and complication of the movement (basically, the more you paid for the watch the more the jeweler will charge you)

2) Automatics are not even remotely close to as accurate as quartz watches. Quartz are usually accurate within +/- 5 to 15 seconds a month, whereas automatics are usually +/- 5 to 15 seconds a day (for there best swiss movements).

3) Seiko invented the world's first quartz wristwatch - the 35SQ Astron Watch - in Tokyo on Christmas day, 1969.

4) Quartz movements only require a quick and relatively inexpensive battery change every 2-3 years, some even every 10 years, and if the movements ever get so bad that an overhaul is needed (I've never heard of this happening, but anything is possible), you can buy an entire new movement wholesale from between $30 - $80 and find a friendly jeweler to install it for you. With one of my better known swiss automatics, before I invested in a watch-winder ($199) to keep it constantly in motion to keep the internal 37-jeweled parts lubricated, it cost me $750 for a complete overhaul when the movement went bad after 4 years. AND that was DISCOUNTED!!!

It's nice owning swiss automatics (prestige, hype, exclusivity), but not that nice. After buying one of them, I always have a bad taste in my mouth...like I know I just got ripped off...no matter how much "swiss watch-masters hand-made craftsmanship" the sales person touted about). With my two purchases of the Seiko SNA411 and the Chase Durer Pilot Commander, I've never felt so good about a luxury watch purchase.

I'll take a high-quality quartz watch (swiss or japan movement) any day over ANY of my swiss automatics now that I know better. So go out, find a watch that suits you...enjoy it :-) I know I will be enjoying BOTH of my latest additions :-)Seiko Men's Flight Alarm Chronograph Watch #SNA411

5.0 out of 5 stars The most expensive looking cheap pilot's watch!, September 9, 2007
It's no Breitling, but it sure feels, functions and looks like one. I don't use the flight bezel since I use a computerized E6B so I can't rate that. I use it for the looks and the sheer enjoyment I get from the watch. You will get many compliments by wearing this watch. If you like watches that are big, bulky and heavy, you will enjoy this one. The construction of the watch is A-1. I recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT WATCH AT A GREAT PRICE, July 8, 2006
This is a great chronograph,extremely well finished with precision movement and handsome looks. One good feature of this chrono is that all the three controls, crown and both the chrono controls are lockable... so you cannot accidently start a chrono, which happens often enough. I have knocked off one star, from an otherwise five star rating that it deserves, coz. a) the alarm rings only for 20 secs (too less for someone who sleeps like a log!)and b) the alarm has to be reset every time. Otherwise for the price it is available at it is a steal. My wife and daughter joke around that there's enough steel used in this watch to have made a SUV. So all those with a decent wrist... go ahead and indulge.

2.0 out of 5 stars Increasingly difficult to tell time, November 15, 2012
Trailman (Medfield, MA USA) - See all my reviews
I find it increasingly difficult to tell time with my fading eye sight, especially in dim light conditions; it does not help that this watch has white hands on a white dial!
Overall, I find that this watch is cheaply made and not recommended for people with less than perfect vision. I prefer the gold model SNA414 which I also own (white hands on black dial and much easier to read).

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most beautiful watches I've ever seen, but beware of taxes!, June 8, 2014
I bought this about two weeks ago, as it looked really nice and sturdy online.

I received it a couple of days ago and must say it works perfectly so far,
and looks better than in the pictures.
As a matter of fact, it's one of the nicest watches I've ever seen and highly resembles Breitlings, and actually feels like one.

Though this is not the fault of the seller (hence I didn't take away rating for that) non-US buyers should be aware of taxes possibly added on to the watch at delivery, and as it turned out, for me that was more than half the price of the watch! So beware!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellente watch, January 28, 2007
Very good quality for this item. It has lots of features and you really have to read the manual if you want to properly use it.

And for this price it's a bargain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good timepiece, August 20, 2007
S. G Spires (Huntsville, Al United States) - See all my reviews
I'd given this watch a five star rating, but the wrong manual was sent to me, and I had to get Amazon, and ultimately Seiko, to e-mail me the right one. After getting the right manual, I love it. Keeps good time, it has an hour measurement on the chronometer and an alarm. Also, the flight/navigation computer bezel turns both ways and seems to have a good seal.
The only drawback with this type of watch is that it doesn't have a backlit "glow" funtion like some cheaper chronograph watches. Makes it hard to use at night. The watch hands are luminous, but that doesn't last more than five or ten minutes at night.
It's a good, basic, sturdy watch that shouldn't let the wearer down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Johnny Nel's Seiko Review, January 2, 2009
John Nelson (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
I just received my Flight Computer Chrono today, and my first impressions are excellent. I was looking for a large, "Breitling-like" watch, and that is just what I received. If are seeking a heavy, attention grabbing watch, this is definitely the one. Frankly, the picture doesn't do the watch justice. It looks much more impressive, and has great presence on the wrist. The price seems to have gone up substantially since I ordered, which made mine even more of a steal. Kudos to World of Watches for very quick shipping.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best watch I've ever owned, May 6, 2012
I was a little on the fence regarding this purchase, and before it came I sent a request to the seller to return. Well, the watch came and I was flabbergasted. It looks extremely beautiful and it has a distinct look that sets it apart from other watches in this price range. There's no way I'm going to part with this watch any time soon unless someone steals it from me. I hope that it will keep well over the next few years as I plan to wear it A LOT!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Seiko and Best of it's kind and category watch., March 7, 2014
I have had this watch for 3 years now the white face version. Let me please say that this is The BEST Damn watch by far for this type, category and price range and is one of the most handsome Seiko watches bar NONE.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›