Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Seiko Men's SNA413 Flight Computer Chronograph Watch
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on January 7, 2009
I will have to follow this up with a more extensive video review, but for now here are the highlights.

1) It arrived on time with free holiday shipping from amazon.com. PLUS

2) It arrived without protective plastic covering the crystal, case back, crown and pushers, or bracelet. MINUS

3) It also arrived with a slight scratch on one of the link-segments on the band. Since it was the polished portion of the link segment, it was very noticeable. ** BIG MINUS ** , but I remedied this by choosing this link segment as the links I would remove when I was sizing the bracelet, so no harm, no foul.

4) The bracelet measures just over 21mm consistently all the way around (no tapering), is solid stainless steel, and has solid end links. Also, it was erroneously reported as being a 3-link band (two brushed links on the outside and one polished link in the center with a vertical crease). In sizing the bracelet and moving the links, I quickly learned that it is actually a 4-link bracelet since the polished center is actually made up of TWO links side by side, each with a brushed link on either end (brushed+polished+ polished+ brushed). I

5) Diameter of case/bezel is listed as 42mm (w/o the crown), but it seems to be closer to 40mm.

6) Dial - The dial is protected by a domed Hardlex mineral crystal that does a magnificent job magnifying the fine writing of the EB6 rule, Telemeter, and Tachometer, and all other info including he date on the face/dial.

The domed crystal also does an excellent job throwing back a lot of LIGHT and shimmer to onlookers, so it tends to get a lot of WOW responses.

7) The bezel is non-ratcheting and bidirectional. It has a highly polished coined edge. It has a very solid and smooth in its movement.

8) The weight and balance is just right. It is slightly lighter than the Seiko "Monster" divers, about the same weight as my Omega 40mm (heavier than a Chase Durer Pilot Commander Alarm chronograph).

9) The alarm (located at the 6 o'clock position) can be used as a GMT to track a secondary time zone. It has its own fully independent minute and hour hands, so this is quite nice.

10) The chronograph second hand (the BIG second hand) and chronograph hour hand (in the small sub-dial nearest to the 12 o'clock position) are in bright yellow. All other hands are in stainless steel with or without lumibrite (luminescent paint for glowing in the dark). The chronograph sub-dials at 12 and 9 o'clock are outlined in white paint, but the alarm sub-dial a 6 o'clock is nicely outlined with a stainless steel circle/ring.

11) The crown and pushers are all screw down and the threads are very well engineered. This allows not only for the true 200 meter depth water resistance rating, but also keeps dust and moisture out of the watch. Dust and moisture are the biggest enemies of any all watches, regardless of the price-point.

12) ALL the chronograph hands and sub-dials can be manually reset to "zero" or manually aligned with the pushers if the need ever arose.

Conclusion: This is a dressy watch. The picture really do not do it justice. I purchased both this watch, as well as the Chase Durer Pilot Commander Alarm chronograph. This one for dressier, more formal attire while the Chase Durer for more casual occasions. Both watches have Japanese quartz movements and respective of style, quality, and function, they are easily on par with or better than most if not all of the other watches in my collection, including several well-known swiss automatics costing $3200 to $4000 each.

The only thing I would change about the Seiko SNA411 is the crystal. This is my first time owning a watch with a Hardlex crystal, and besides my Casio beater watch, all the other watches in my collection have sapphire anti-reflective crystals, which I've never had scratch, shatter, or fracture on me...so we'll see how this Hardlex holds up, especially in it's domed and slightly protruding fashion.

BTW - for all those considering automatics, consider this...what I've found out in extensively researching before making my recent purchases:

1) Automatics MUST be cleaned/lubricated/"maintained" every 2-3 years, which runs anywhere from $150 to $399 for EACH automatic watch....depending on the brand and complication of the movement (basically, the more you paid for the watch the more the jeweler will charge you)

2) Automatics are not even remotely close to as accurate as quartz watches. Quartz are usually accurate within +/- 5 to 15 seconds a month, whereas automatics are usually +/- 5 to 15 seconds a day (for there best swiss movements).

3) Seiko invented the world's first quartz wristwatch - the 35SQ Astron Watch - in Tokyo on Christmas day, 1969.

4) Quartz movements only require a quick and relatively inexpensive battery change every 2-3 years, some even every 10 years, and if the movements ever get so bad that an overhaul is needed (I've never heard of this happening, but anything is possible), you can buy an entire new movement wholesale from between $30 - $80 and find a friendly jeweler to install it for you. With one of my better known swiss automatics, before I invested in a watch-winder ($199) to keep it constantly in motion to keep the internal 37-jeweled parts lubricated, it cost me $750 for a complete overhaul when the movement went bad after 4 years. AND that was DISCOUNTED!!!

It's nice owning swiss automatics (prestige, hype, exclusivity), but not that nice. After buying one of them, I always have a bad taste in my mouth...like I know I just got ripped off...no matter how much "swiss watch-masters hand-made craftsmanship" the sales person touted about). With my two purchases of the Seiko SNA411 and the Chase Durer Pilot Commander, I've never felt so good about a luxury watch purchase.

I'll take a high-quality quartz watch (swiss or japan movement) any day over ANY of my swiss automatics now that I know better. So go out, find a watch that suits you...enjoy it :-) I know I will be enjoying BOTH of my latest additions :-)Seiko Men's Flight Alarm Chronograph Watch #SNA411
on September 9, 2007
It's no Breitling, but it sure feels, functions and looks like one. I don't use the flight bezel since I use a computerized E6B so I can't rate that. I use it for the looks and the sheer enjoyment I get from the watch. You will get many compliments by wearing this watch. If you like watches that are big, bulky and heavy, you will enjoy this one. The construction of the watch is A-1. I recommend it.
on August 17, 2015
Great watch. It does have sort of a Breitling style, but color a combination unique to Seiko. Interesting enough to catch an eye, but not overdone at all. It has enough heft that you know it's solidly built. The curved crystal adds quality to the look. Size is advertised on Amazon as 42mm, but it's only 40mm. The lock down crown and pushers give it decent water resistance at 200m. This model has been around for a while. I remember seeing this watch on a colleague a few years back and thinking it's a looker At $200 bucks, how can you go wrong. And as usual, Amazon shipped it lightning fast and in perfect condition. Its an interesting, accurate, well-built watch and you don't have to worry about babying it.
on May 6, 2012
I was a little on the fence regarding this purchase, and before it came I sent a request to the seller to return. Well, the watch came and I was flabbergasted. It looks extremely beautiful and it has a distinct look that sets it apart from other watches in this price range. There's no way I'm going to part with this watch any time soon unless someone steals it from me. I hope that it will keep well over the next few years as I plan to wear it A LOT!!!
on March 26, 2016
Awesome watch. Buy it while you still can. Seiko is a great company and their watches have never let me down! The SNA413 is a timeless classic that will be sure to get noticed when you wear it. I'm and over the moon Happy with my purchase and the 24 hour shipping for $8... If you're on the fence, pull the trigger and buy it. You won't be disappointed!!!
on July 8, 2006
This is a great chronograph,extremely well finished with precision movement and handsome looks. One good feature of this chrono is that all the three controls, crown and both the chrono controls are lockable... so you cannot accidently start a chrono, which happens often enough. I have knocked off one star, from an otherwise five star rating that it deserves, coz. a) the alarm rings only for 20 secs (too less for someone who sleeps like a log!)and b) the alarm has to be reset every time. Otherwise for the price it is available at it is a steal. My wife and daughter joke around that there's enough steel used in this watch to have made a SUV. So all those with a decent wrist... go ahead and indulge.
on April 8, 2016
I bought mine 8 years ago and couldn't be happier with it. Only reason I stumbled upon here is because the battery finally died, lol. It's a great looking watch but at a fair price. I'm proud to show it off and get a lot of compliments, but wouldn't get too angry if anything bad happened to it.
on February 27, 2014
I had received this watch as a gift 4 years ago and it was stolen out of my car not too long after I had gotten the gift, so I just recently purchased this watch again. It is a style that will never go out of style and it wears well on the wrist. I have a friend who is a pilot for a major airlines and he verifies that all the accouterments can be used to assist someone piloting an airplane. For me its a watch that gets attention drawn to it and is reasonable on the pocketbook.
on June 21, 2012
PROS: This watch is a great deal for functionality and looks. It feels well made. The bezel turns smoothly, but not freely (perfect). The watch is beautiful. It does do dual time so you can show UTC/GMT simultaneously with local time. The chrono is spot on. The alarm is a nice feature too.

CONS: The watch came with a large "Made in China" sticker plastered to the back of the case. I was expecting a Japanese watch based on the description and was somewhat disappointed. Hopefully it holds up. Also, the crystal is not sapphire as it says in the description. It is a Hardlex crystal, proprietary to Seiko and similar to a mineral crystal.
on March 5, 2016
Another person already mentioned this, but I wanted to agree with their comment because it was a huge deal to me and most reviews of this watch are old.

This watch is only 40mm wide without crown, not 42. Amazon is all over the place for watch sizing. For how beautiful, functional, and busy the watch is, it is my opinion it should at least be 42mm if not more. For those of you who want a smaller watch, pick this up, it's gorgeous in person. For me, it looks like a women's size, and that is the only reason I'm returning it.