4.0 out of 5 stars Accurate & elegant watch
Published on March 7, 2011 by NWN

1.0 out of 5 stars Watch was defective
I returned the watch because it was defective. No matter how long I charged it, the watch always operated in low battery mode and stopped immediately when indoors.
Published on August 8, 2012 by Paul

4.0 out of 5 stars Accurate & elegant watch, March 7, 2011
This review is from: Seiko Men's SNE031 Stainless Steel Solar Watch (Watch)
Keeps good time, looks great, and easy to operate. Based on other reviews, solar is more accurate than mechanical watches. It also charges very quickly and lasts for months on one charge! Of course with normal exposure to light, it constantly charges, and also has a feature that prevents an overcharge... I wasn't convinced that white is a manly color for watches, but my wife disagrees (she got it for me...). She likes white because it would match anything I wear. I do like looking at the time with a light background, and I definitely need the day & date feature. It was a great price from Amazon; I compared it to Macy's price for the same watch. All in all a good deal, and a great watch with a simple yet elegant look, and no worries about powering it or adjusting the time every so often. So far I'm a satisfied consumer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Awesome Watch - as good as it gets, January 9, 2012
This review is from: Seiko Men's SNE031 Stainless Steel Solar Watch (Watch)
Extremely high quality, easy to set and very sharp looking. I went with the white face which provides good contrast to easily tell time. The packaging and box is very nice as well. Previously I had a automatic self winder and experienced the issue where it would sit in a drawer for a few days and lose time. The solar power will stay running for a very long time with no sun. The accuracy is unreal, I am experiencing less than 1 second gain/loss per week.

Previous reviewers complained about shortening the wristband - I used a push pin and a small needle nose pliers to remove three links, took me about 5 minutes. The trick was to ensure that the pins (they look like miniature cotter pins) go in the same way they came out. I used the push pin to start the pin out and then used the needle nose pliers to remove the pin. Easy Peasy!

Update: My watch is 1.5 years old and still running great! I love still love it and it looks brand new.

Update: My watch is now three years old. Still keeping awesome time and still looking brand new.

5.0 out of 5 stars warning, July 17, 2011
This review is from: Seiko Men's SNE031 Stainless Steel Solar Watch (Watch)
The watch is great functionally and esthetically,
but if you are giving it as a present to someone
who is not too handy beware that the recipient
may have to take it to a jeweler to adjust the
length of the band. Unfortunately Seiko
doesn't include paper instructions or a
web site with instructions. You can make the
adjustments easily yourself if you are handy.
All you require is a standard pushpin to push out
the pins in those links with small engraved arrows
in the direction the pins should go. A small
pliers is helpful to further extract the pins
and to replace them. There are also many guidance
sites in Google with printouts that you can
enclose with the watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Time and motion, October 24, 2011
This review is from: Seiko Men's SNE031 Stainless Steel Solar Watch (Watch)
In 2003 I treated myself to a battery operated Georg Jensen watch designed by Henning Koppel. A timeless design that still looks classy today and will do so way into the future. Fortunately it had no second hand, day or date and the battery lasted right up to June of this year (a bit of research confirms that if you have all the functions a battery change is going to be quite frequent). In fact the leather strap wore out long before the battery and I've been through three of them.

I decided to go for a solar watch and keep the Jensen for special occasions because having it serviced, new battery and strap was actually more expensive than this Seiko! I basically chose the Seiko for its simple styling. The more expensive a watch becomes the uglier it gets it seems to me. Top of the range brands have typographically dreadful numbers and in this digital age some still use Roman numerals, excessive decoration around and on the dial, clunky looking hour and minute hands and a general feel of design vulgarity.

So far the Seiko has performed perfectly. I check it every so often with the USNO Master Clock Time and after several weeks it is not a second out. If I've read the instructions correctly it will run for ten months with a nine hour charge of cloudy weather/sunlight or steady operation with a two hour charge under the same conditions.

I notice that one reviewer has commented on the weight, I think it is heavy at eighty-eight grams compared to my Jensen at twenty-eight grams, no doubt a metal band increases the weight compared to a thin leather strap. The thing that I hadn't realized until it arrived was how thick it was: ten millimeters (see the image I uploaded). I can only put this down to the solar mechanism requiring some thickness but this also helps to gives the whole thing a masculine look, though the same mechanism is in the ladies version and that can't be as thick. If you need to adjust the bracelet length, as I did, buy a really cheap watch repair kit (Amazon have a sixteen piece one for under seven dollars) and it's easy to do with a bit of care, the relevant links have little arrows to indicate which direction the pins need to be pushed.

I think this particular Seiko, apart from the thickness, is a timely buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent watch for the price, November 1, 2012
This review is from: Seiko Men's SNE031 Stainless Steel Solar Watch (Watch)
I have had this watch for a couple of weeks. This is an excellent watch for the price. I agree with other buyers that it is a nice looking dress watch. I do not care for these very large watches that have all kinds of dials and stop watch buttons on them. If you like large watches, don't buy this one. This watch looks very dressy, yet it has enough of a sporty look to be worn in casual settings. The band has a button-operated clasp, which is excellent.

For those who read the review complaining about the visibility of the hands in the dark, all luminous watches fluoresce after being exposed to bright light, and this fluorescence dies off with time. If you need to see your watch at night, then it needs to be exposed to bright light for some time before it will be reviewed in darkness. After several hours in the dark, no watch with luminous hands will still provide enough fluorescence to be useful. This watch performs exactly like every other watch I have owned (and they are many!) with luminous hands. I disagree with the reviewer who claimed this was a problem.

As for the reviewer who complained about the watch not running very long, the watch needs to be in bright sunlight for about 9 hours before becoming fully charged (according to the enclosed instructions). This charge is supposed to last for several months, although I have not tested that specification. I suspect the reviewer did not fully charge the watch before noting that it had stopped running.

The watch keeps excellent time. I am very pleased with this purchase. It is just what I wanted ... a reliable and nice looking time piece that did not cost an arm and a leg. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty neat, June 3, 2014
This review is from: Seiko Men's SNE031 Stainless Steel Solar Watch (Watch)
Of course it'll be several years before I can say I'm fully satisfied, considering that the solar watch relies on a storage battery which is liable to fail like any of its kind. I wanted a sturdy everyday casual watch and this one is almost too classy.
You can get the days either in English or Spanish, and if you're French like myself you can opt for the latter which is very similar.; The day and date are very readable (even without my glasses, unlike my vintage Omega). The hours and minutes hands do faintly glow in the dark. No idea how radioactive that makes it, but I trust it's O.K. Setting the date, day and calendar takes some time to figure out, and mostly adjusting the size of the band is not explained, as some reviewers pointed out. Follow the directions posted by Mid (July 17, 2011), DO NOT GOOGLE VIDEOS or look for directions online, since the models demonstrated have different bands and do not apply for this model. Just select the elements with arrows on the back, push the little pins following the directions of the arrows (use the thinnest watchmaker's screwdriver or a good quality pushpin, push hard, and push even harder to replace them using a bigger tool at first!). A good idea is to do so on a quadruple layer of thick towel, so the pin will be driven into it easily when you press down, and you won't be given hell for scratching the tabletop.
So now everything is set and adjusted, I hope I can bequeath it to my grandkids and it'll make them as happy as myself as long as the sun shines to recharge it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent solar watch, March 24, 2013
This review is from: Seiko Men's SNE031 Stainless Steel Solar Watch (Watch)
It charged right up in a sunbeam. Keeps perfect time. Easy to read. Used a Watch Band Link Remover to remove 7 links from the bracelet (see youtube).

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice watch, April 17, 2014
This review is from: Seiko Men's SNE031 Stainless Steel Solar Watch (Watch)
Beautiful watch with easily read bright white face. Band will likely need adjusting, not too hard if you are at all handy,
Day and date can be a real challenge to set and the date will have to be reset for months other than 31 day months but really only takes seconds ONCE you figure it out. Day will not have to be reset.
I really like the watch a lot and would buy it again. If you get it, don't give up on the day/ date setting, you'll eventually get it. When you set it make sure you follow the instructions in the second book ( you get 2 ) especially regarding how to tell if you're in AM or PM when setting. You'll love the watch. Luminous hands can barely be seen in a very dark room. You tube has some instructions if you need help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gift, June 15, 2014
This review is from: Seiko Men's SNE031 Stainless Steel Solar Watch (Watch)
I got this for my dad for father's day (although I was considering getting it for myself). I gave it to him and he really liked it. It was easy to size the watch, and is definitely a quality watch. It's lightweight without feeling cheap, and seeing as it's solar, it should last a long time. The white face makes it really easy to read the time (which is nice for my dad) and the day and date window is large enough to be easily read as well. All in all a quality product and made for a great gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seiko Solar watches. Great vaue for a reasonable price., May 17, 2014
This review is from: Seiko Men's SNE031 Stainless Steel Solar Watch (Watch)
You can spend a lot more money on a watch, but I doubt if your money will buy a better watch than this Seiko watch. I was so taken by this one, that I also decided to buy a one with a black face and also a Ladies Seiko solar for my wife. She loves it. These watches are very reasonable priced and they appear to be much more expensive than they look. They are well made watches and come with beautiful watch bands.

Seiko Men's SNE031 Stainless Steel Solar Watch